Obi Wan = OB1 ?

recruiter

Aug 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/2/96

I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??

Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?

Was Ben's DNA used to clone soldiers and thus his designation as OB1 the
first of the OB's?

Or is Obi Wan Kenobi just a soldier nickname???

Can anyone shed light on this??

Daniel

James Pasham

Aug 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/3/96

recruiter <recr...@dansources.com> wrote:

>Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?

>Can anyone shed light on this??

>Daniel

Only George Lucas can answer that.

-Pash

Strnad

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

On Fri, 02 Aug 1996 10:19:02 -0400, recruiter
<recr...@dansources.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
>over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
>refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
>a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??
>

>Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?
>

>Was Ben's DNA used to clone soldiers and thus his designation as OB1 the
>first of the OB's?
>
>Or is Obi Wan Kenobi just a soldier nickname???
>

>Can anyone shed light on this??
>
>Daniel

I don't know, but it sounds like a great story line! That would make
the Clone Wars 'up-close-and-personal' for Ben.

Lisa

Patrick Curry

Aug 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/4/96

Sure, Obi Wan=OB1. I like the clone number idea. I always thought OB1
was his fighter-pilot nick-name.

Patrick

Rich Handley

Aug 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/5/96

Patrick Curry <p...@zfi.com> wrote:

>recr...@dansources.com> wrote:
>I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
>over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
>refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
>a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??

>Sure, Obi Wan=OB1. I like the clone number idea. I always thought OB1
>was his fighter-pilot nick-name.

No offense, people, but.... come on! It's "Obi-Wan," NOT "OB1." Luke NEVER referred to an "OB1."
Just look at ANY printed version of the guy's name. It's "Obi-Wan," and I'd bet large sums of money
that the prequels will NOT deal with Ben being a clone, or with "Obi-Wan" meaning anything but
"Obi-Wan." I can't wait for the prequels, now, so that we can FINALLY get past this "OB1"
silliness. (Again, I mean nothing offensive in this reply, it's just that I'm amazed that there are
people out there actually buying into such a ridiculous idea.)

..................Got milk?
*********Rich Handley, author of*********
The Exhaustive Guide to Star Wars Comics
at http://www.asb.com/usr/cardsafe/intro.htm
(and 5th member of the James Trory Fan Club)

David Minton

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

ba...@wsooti18.win.tue.nl (Bart Barenbrug) wrote:

>Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) writes:
>
>>No offense, people, but.... come on! It's "Obi-Wan," NOT "OB1." Luke NEVER referred to an "OB1."
>>Just look at ANY printed version of the guy's name. It's "Obi-Wan," and I'd bet large sums of money
>>that the prequels will NOT deal with Ben being a clone, or with "Obi-Wan" meaning anything but
>>"Obi-Wan." I can't wait for the prequels, now, so that we can FINALLY get past this "OB1"
>>silliness. (Again, I mean nothing offensive in this reply, it's just that I'm amazed that there are
>>people out there actually buying into such a ridiculous idea.)
>
>I don't think it's that ridiculous: "OB1" and "Obi-Wan" sound so similar I
>wouldn't be surpised it there was some intention behind it. But...
>...maybe Ben choose OB1 in mockery of their opponents in the Clone Wars: "1" in
>the sense: "there is only one of me: I'm *not* a clone". What the OB stands for
>in that case: I don't know. I think the Clone Wars were sufficiently far back
>for OB not to have been short for Old Ben...
>
>Just a possibility.
>
>MtFbwy,
>
>Bart

Not only that, but R2-D2 and C-3PO are spelled Artoo-Deetoo and See-Threepio in the script

-Dave

Bart Barenbrug

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

Ronald Freilinger

Aug 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/6/96

<recr...@dansources.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
>over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
>refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
>a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??
>

>Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?
>
>Was Ben's DNA used to clone soldiers and thus his designation as OB1 the
>first of the OB's?
>
>Or is Obi Wan Kenobi just a soldier nickname???
>
>Can anyone shed light on this??

I have explained this before, but here goes one more time.

The person that teaches Luke in SW:ANH is OB-1 Kenobi. The Obiwan
comes from that accent on that part of Tatoonie. And here's how OB-1
cames about.

Near the end of th Clone Wars, Jedis Osiris Benjamin Kenobi and
Annakin Skywalker are battling on a remote planet that has been
bombarded by forces loyal to the newly declared Emporer Palpatine.
Skywalker has been brainwashed that the Jedi need to be exterminated.
Kenobi is the last of the Jedi as Skywalker has begun down the dark
road of the Sith Lords. Kenobi tries to turn Annakin back from the
dark side as the battle progresses amid a blasted plain, pools of
molten rock dotting the blackened landscape. Kenobi stikes a blow
which causes Skywalker to lose his balance. Tottering over the ledge
of one of the molten pools, Annakin throws his lightsabre at Kenobi in
a final gesture of defiance as he loses his balance and falls. Kenobi,
caught off guard by the impact of killing his brightest student, does
not deflect the sabre and he is struck a mortal blow.
A clone emerges from it's hiding spot behind a pile of rubble and
quickly takes a sample of Kenobi's DNA as he lay dying. The clone
hears the whine of incoming Stormtrooper transports and runs off.
The Stormtroopers land to find Kenobi dead and no sign of Skywalker
when a hand reaches out of the lava pit. Using the power of the dark
side, Darth Vader emerges, grievously injured, but still alive.
Later, at the main cloning facility, a clone emerges from the shadows
of a room. It is Ben Kenobi's inaugural clone. Code named OB-1 for
Osiris Benjamin One, the clone has proven too successful. The clone
has all the powers of a Jedi master, but will not follow the clones'
orders to kill humans. While the clones are destroying Kenobi's
original DNA sample and preparing to abort the Kenobi clone, the
facility is attacked by Republic forces. During the ensuing commotion,
OB-1 Kenobi escapes, steals a transport and flees to Tatoonie and
proceeds to live out a hermetic life avoiding contact with the outside
world.
During the years in recluse, the Jedi become a myth as the Empire
crushes rebellion after rebellion with exception of stories that keep
popping up in different parts of the galaxy of a lone Jedi that shows
up here and there to dispense justice and help victiims of the
tyrannical Empire. The designation of OB-1 gets turned into Obiwan
during the retelling of these tales.In time, stories are told to
children by parents about how they should be like Obiwan Kenobi. The
children, in turn, turn this into Old Ben Kenobi.

You made it this far? How'd you like my little story?
Why does Vader call Kenobi Obiwan instead of Osiris, you ask?
Hey, I made it up, okay.

Jen

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <4u7j7d$b...@wsooti18.win.tue.nl>, ba...@wsooti18.win.tue.nl

(Bart Barenbrug) wrote:
> Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) writes:
>> No offense, people, but.... come on! It's "Obi-Wan," NOT "OB1." Luke
NEVER referred
>> to an "OB1." Just look at ANY printed version of the guy's name. It's
"Obi-Wan," and I'd
>> bet large sums of money that the prequels will NOT deal with Ben being
a clone, or with
>> "Obi-Wan" meaning anything but "Obi-Wan." I can't wait for the
prequels, now, so that
>> we can FINALLY get past this "OB1" silliness. (Again, I mean nothing
offensive in this
>> reply, it's just that I'm amazed that there are people out there
actually buying into such
>> a ridiculous idea.)
>
> I don't think it's that ridiculous: "OB1" and "Obi-Wan" sound so similar I
> wouldn't be surpised it there was some intention behind it. But...

I don't personally agree with the idea of Kenobi having been a clone.
However, I wonder if there's any reason for Vader's varying pronunciation
of "Obi-Wan," because sometimes it did sound as if he was saying "One."
arrggh. Just a tiny annoying detail...

--
j...@sirius.com/ jenni...@aol.com/ rha...@marinet.lib.ca.us
"Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is

Khomar

Aug 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/7/96

In article <DvnvI...@news2.new-york.net>, Card...@unix.asb.com (Rich Handley) wrote:

>Patrick Curry <p...@zfi.com> wrote:
>
>>recr...@dansources.com> wrote:
>>I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
>>over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
>>refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
>>a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??
>
>>Sure, Obi Wan=OB1. I like the clone number idea. I always thought OB1
>>was his fighter-pilot nick-name.
>
>No offense, people, but.... come on! It's "Obi-Wan," NOT "OB1." Luke NEVER
> referred to an "OB1."
>Just look at ANY printed version of the guy's name. It's "Obi-Wan," and I'd
> bet large sums of money
>that the prequels will NOT deal with Ben being a clone, or with "Obi-Wan"
> meaning anything but
>"Obi-Wan." I can't wait for the prequels, now, so that we can FINALLY get past
> this "OB1"
>silliness. (Again, I mean nothing offensive in this reply, it's just that I'm
> amazed that there are
>people out there actually buying into such a ridiculous idea.)

And I'm sure you realize that it's SeeThreePee-Oh and ArToo-DeeToo (sp. on
both) and not C3PO and R2D2.

I for one like the idea of Ben being the first clone in a series from someone
with the initials O.B. (thus the Obi-Wan or OB-1.)

This has to be one of the longest running debates created by Star Wars since
it came out. (I just found an old Fanzine circa ESB that covers this subject
and Boba Fett's involvement in future [prequel] movies.)

K'homar

Oh, The earth...I'm going to blow it up!
It interferes with my view of Venus. - Marvin the Martian

Well Manicured Man

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

I've also heard theories that OB stands for Original Body.....the
clone's source, so the Ben we know might not be a clone, but he might
have had some....
WMM

recruiter <recr...@dansources.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
>over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
>refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
>a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??

>Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?

>Was Ben's DNA used to clone soldiers and thus his designation as OB1 the
>first of the OB's?

>Or is Obi Wan Kenobi just a soldier nickname???

>Can anyone shed light on this??

>Daniel

Duggy

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

On Fri, 2 Aug 1996, recruiter wrote:

> I'm not sure if this topic is discussed much here, but I keep rolling
> over and over in my mind when Ben first meets Luke in ANH and Luke
> refers to an OB 1 Kenobi ... a name that Ben has not been referred to in
> a long time... probably since the Clone Wars??

I thought he said he hadn't _heard_ it in a long time...

> Is OB1 Ben's clone designation?

Didn't Luke's say Obi-wan was dead?
So maybe Ben is the original and "OB-1" is a clone.

> Was Ben's DNA used to clone soldiers and thus his designation as OB1 the
> first of the OB's?

Or maybe It's actually "Obi-wan"!!!

- Dug.

|STANDARD DISCLAIMER:| Paul "Duggy" Duggan. | I lost a |
| I didn't do it, | | fight to |
|Nobody saw me do it,| <Paul....@jcu.edu.au> | the death |
| You can't prove | | with my |
| Anything... |http://www.jcu.edu.au/~coe-pad| Evil Twin.|
|________________D_E_N_Y_________E_V_E_R_Y_T_H_I_N_G|___________|

Duggy

Aug 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/9/96

On Mon, 5 Aug 1996, Rich Handley self-proclaimed God of Star Wars
proclaimed:

> No offense, people, but.... come on! It's "Obi-Wan," NOT "OB1." Luke NEVER referred to an "OB1."
> Just look at ANY printed version of the guy's name. It's "Obi-Wan," and I'd bet large sums of money
> that the prequels will NOT deal with Ben being a clone, or with "Obi-Wan" meaning anything but
> "Obi-Wan." I can't wait for the prequels, now, so that we can FINALLY get past this "OB1"
> silliness. (Again, I mean nothing offensive in this reply, it's just that I'm amazed that there are
> people out there actually buying into such a ridiculous idea.)

And R2 is spelt Artoo

What's your point.

Happosai 6

Aug 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/11/96

In article <jen-070896...@205.134.228.113>, j...@sirius.com (Jen)
writes:

>I don't personally agree with the idea of Kenobi having been a clone.
>However, I wonder if there's any reason for Vader's varying pronunciation
>of "Obi-Wan," because sometimes it did sound as if he was saying "One."
>arrggh. Just a tiny annoying detail...

The way Vader pronounces Obi-Wan is (I assume) just an accent thing, like
the way different folks pronounce Han's name.

I for one think that old Ben had nothing to do with clones. Originally,
when I heard the theory, i though he was, but now I don't. It is simple
really......

Why the hell would anyone call themselves OB1 or any variation?
"I've not gone by the name of Obi-Wan since..oh..before you were born."
Ben did call himself Obi-Wan, and I seriously doubt that he would refer to
himself as a serial number.

(It IS possible that everyone in the lab or wherever called him OB1 that
he would adopt the name, but Ben seems a bit too strong willed for that)

- General Sai
(Happy)

head of the JTFC's shock troops.

Dj MiNTS

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96
I can't remember where I read it but Obi-Wan went by the name of Ben
after the Republic fell and the Emperor began hunting the Jedi so that
he could move to a far off planet (Tantooine) and be close to Luke, yet
not raise any suspicion. Flame me if you like cause I don't give a f***!

Sam Drost

Aug 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/17/96

Dj MiNTS <DjMi...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>I can't remember where I read it but Obi-Wan went by the name of Ben
>after the Republic fell and the Emperor began hunting the Jedi so that
>he could move to a far off planet (Tantooine) and be close to Luke, yet
>not raise any suspicion.

No kidding, what's your point?

I've heard that Obi-wan was the text format of OB-1 and that OB stood for
Old Ben. Now let's pretend for a moment that he actually is a clone (and
I don't) and you were the clone master (or whatever the people who run
cloning facilities are called) why would you call a brand-new clone "old
ben" ?