Blood in Episode I (Spoiler)

Tim Santa Cruz

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99

Toys Rubba <toys...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:19990523010913...@ng-fu1.aol.com...
> Spoiler space to follow.
> .
> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did I
> imagine that?

You imagined it. Lightsabers immediately cauterize a wound.

Tim

Tim Santa Cruz

May 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/22/99
Ah... Hmmm... I.... Well... You see... uhh..... Nevermind. I guess I forgot
about that. Of course it's the only time we see blood from a Lightsaber
wound. (Think Jabba's sail barge in ROTJ)...

Tim

> So I guess I imagined the blood on the floor next to Ponda Baba's arm in A
New
> Hope?

Toys Rubba

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Spoiler space to follow.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Toys Rubba

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
So I guess I imagined the blood on the floor next to Ponda Baba's arm in A New
Hope?

>> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did I
>> imagine that?

LoneIdiot

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I saw a bloodspray
-The Lone Idiot

Mr Bigfoo

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I saw it. In theory it should cauterize the wound, but i did see blood. Or
maybe blood colored steam. i dunno, but i did see it.
-"Drugs Bad!"

mdb

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
Try spinning. That's a good trick.

>So I guess I imagined the blood on the floor next to Ponda Baba's arm in A New
>Hope?

That was his drink that he spilled. (Bloody Mary presumably)

mdb
When I grow up, I wanna be a Tusken Raider.

Win Sabres Win

Jason McNorton

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
In article <19990523010913...@ng-fu1.aol.com>,
toys...@aol.com says...

> Spoiler space to follow.
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> .
> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did I
> imagine that?

Yep, it was there..Kudos to Lucas for not wimping out on that.

Vermilion

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
In article "Tim Santa Cruz" <tsant...@mediaone.net> writes:

<with regards to Ponda Baba in the cantina>

>Ah... Hmmm... I.... Well... You see... uhh..... Nevermind. I guess I forgot
>about that. Of course it's the only time we see blood from a Lightsaber
>wound. (Think Jabba's sail barge in ROTJ)...

Or Luke's Hand on Bespin. Or Qui-Gon's chest/back, where we only saw scorch
marks. Hell, the tauntaun on Hoth didn't bleed, or the Wampa that lost its
arm. Ponda Baba is the _only_ example of someone bleeding from a lightsaber
wound in the films.

- Vermilion, taking all subsequent sources as canon and overlooking the
cantina aberration.

Jaysen

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
I saw a flash of the light-saber through the blood.

Violina23

May 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/23/99
> So I guess I imagined the blood on the floor next to Ponda Baba's arm in A
New
> Hope?

Well, if you noticed, that arm looked hollow--- the light saber can't cauterize
air, so blood can still flow outward

-Heather (it's a stretch, but this is Star Wars: anything's possible)

> >> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did
> >> imagine that?

SGUILFOYLE

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
>Hell, the tauntaun on Hoth didn't bleed, or the Wampa that lost its
>arm

I think the Wampa, in the Special Edition, was holding a bloody stump.

<A HREF="http://members.aol.com/sguilfoyle/webpage">Steve's webpage</A>

http://members.aol.com/sguilfoyle/webpage/index.html

I think you like me, because I'm a scoundrel.
No. Do, or do not. There is no try.

Eric Sansoni

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <MPG.11b23de3f...@news.ont.com>, jm...@ont.com (Jason McNorton) wrote:
>> .

>> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did I
>> imagine that?
>
>Yep, it was there..Kudos to Lucas for not wimping out on that.

Was the cutting off of Luke's hand in ESB a "wimp-out?" This is a fairy tale,
and gore is not appropriate. It wasn't that bad here really, I mean it
wasn't Friday the 13th, but geez, a visible sucking flesh wound in Qui-Gon...and
seeing Maul cut in half was a jarring distraction to me. At least there were no
guts lying on the ground.

-Eric S. (sn...@geocities.com or eas...@psu.edu)

"I've been wasting my life. I'm going to do what I always dreamed of.
I'm going to write that sitcom about the sassy robot!"
-Matt Groening creates Futurama

Eric Sansoni

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99
In article <19990524002113...@ng-cg1.aol.com>, sguil...@aol.com (SGUILFOYLE) wrote:

>>Hell, the tauntaun on Hoth didn't bleed, or the Wampa that lost its
>>arm
>
>I think the Wampa, in the Special Edition, was holding a bloody stump.

I thought the addition of the wailing dismembered Wampa was a detraction from
the original scene. Again too much gore. Lucas even by the time of the SEs
seems to have completely lost his sense of suspense. It's enough to see the
look in Luke's eyes as he runs away, leaving us to imagine how angry this
wounded creature might have been. Likewise the addition of Audrey II's mouth to
the Sarlacc... Lucas became obsessed with filling in every blank space with a
special effect, just so he could play with his computer graphics, overlooking
the way a storyteller uses those blank spaces to activate an audience's
imagination and involve them further.

Luke Duff

May 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/24/99

Tim Santa Cruz <tsant...@mediaone.net> wrote in message

>Toys Rubba <toys...@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Spoiler space to follow.
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> When Obi-Wan bifurcated Darth Maul, did you see the blood spray, or did I
>> imagine that?
>
>You imagined it. Lightsabers immediately cauterize a wound.

Nope, go see it at a better theater. There's definately a spray of blood.

Luke

Smilodon

May 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/25/99
TSC> Toys Rubba <toys...@aol.com> wrote in message

TSC> You imagined it. Lightsabers immediately cauterize a
TSC> wound.

It sprayed out across the bottom of tje screen as a fine vaporized mist.

JaysenM

May 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/26/99
I'm telling you all... The red is the glow of the saber THROUGH his blood,
just before the saber seals the wounds.

Squirrel Police

May 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/29/99
I've seen it twice, and there was definately a spray of blood.