The Knickerbocker Glory

Vicki Rosenzweig

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
A couple of days after <plokta.con>, Jo Walton took me, Leif
Kjonnoy (those o's both take slashes, but my keyboard won't),
Sasha, and Emmet to her favorite ice cream place so I could
try a knickerbocker glory. Leif also wanted one. (The other
three fans attending had other ice creams.)

Jo collected orders and went down to the counter. They were out
of strawberries.

Jo explained that she had with her two foreigners who had
never tried knickerbocker glories, and had heard how wonderful they
were. (Jo can provide the four-part harmony and full orchestration;
I wasn't in earshot.) Okay, in that case, the man said they'd send
someone out to find strawberries.

Someone was duly sent, and wandered around that part of Swansea.
There were no strawberries to be had on that particular Tuesday
afternoon. But there were ice creams to be made, the honor of Wales
at stake!

Aha! We have cakes with strawberries on them!

And so Leif and I were brought our knickerbocker glories, glorious
with huge, lightly glazed strawberries.

Mine was wonderful. Excellent vanilla ice cream, real strawberries
and strawberry syrup, and fine whipped cream. (According to the menu,
we might have found kiwifruit or raspberries at other times of the
year.)

I don't think it's going to take the place of the hot fudge sundae in
my mythology--not in general, that is, though that particular
knickerbocker glory, on that Tuesday afternoon near the ruined castle
in Swansea, may--but it was definitely a Good Thing, and the effort
made to ensure that Leif and I could have this experience was an even
better thing.
--
Vicki Rosenzweig | v...@redbird.org
r.a.sf.f faq at http://www.redbird.org/rassef-faq.html

Bill Higgins-- Beam Jockey

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:
[never mind what she wrote]

Is that The One Where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are caught in a conflict
between the natives, and near the end at the native feast they serve them
egg creams, and Kirk realizes that these are the ragged descendants of the
lost colonists of New Amsterdam, and he bursts into tears, and then
everybody sings "September Song?"

--
Bill Higgins Internet: HIG...@FNAL.FNAL.GOV
Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory

Martin Dunn

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00

Bill Higgins-- Beam Jockey <hig...@fnal.gov> wrote in article
<Pine.SGI.4.21.000609...@fsgi02.fnal.gov>...

> On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:
> [never mind what she wrote]
>
> Is that The One Where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are caught in a conflict
> between the natives, and near the end at the native feast they serve them
> egg creams, and Kirk realizes that these are the ragged descendants of
the
> lost colonists of New Amsterdam, and he bursts into tears, and then
> everybody sings "September Song?"

This, this is notable.
Gold star and order of the Weill weather!

Leif Magnar Kj|nn|y

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
In article <91u2ks0khmq4ofumh...@4ax.com>,
Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@redbird.org> wrote:

[Swansea strawberry quest]

>Aha! We have cakes with strawberries on them!
>
>And so Leif and I were brought our knickerbocker glories, glorious
>with huge, lightly glazed strawberries.

Yes, I was pretty impressed at the lengths they went to. And their
efforts resulted in a true and worthy incarnation of the power of
Ice Cream.

--
Leif Kj{\o}nn{\o}y | "Its habit of getting up late you'll agree
www.pvv.org/~leifmk| That it carries too far, when I say

James Nicoll

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
In article <91u2ks0khmq4ofumh...@4ax.com>,
Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@redbird.org> wrote:

>I don't think it's going to take the place of the hot fudge sundae in
>my mythology--not in general, that is, though that particular
>knickerbocker glory, on that Tuesday afternoon near the ruined castle
>in Swansea, may--but it was definitely a Good Thing, and the effort
>made to ensure that Leif and I could have this experience was an even
>better thing.

The almost uniform friendliness[1] of the people in Wales was really
quite striking when I was there.

BTW, TLC had a long run of forensics shows last night and one
of the cases involved a poisoner in Hay-on-Wye. I recognised most of
the places shown. Nifty.

James Nicoll

1: There was an angry old man who seemed to hold me responsible for
NorAmericans driving on the correct side of the road.
--
"Sure, Len, just because something is old doesn't mean it's
engraved in stone. We know a lot more about entertainment now than they

Nancy Lebovitz

Jun 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/10/00
In article <91u2ks0khmq4ofumh...@4ax.com>,
Vicki Rosenzweig <v...@redbird.org> wrote:

>And so Leif and I were brought our knickerbocker glories, glorious
>with huge, lightly glazed strawberries.
>
>Mine was wonderful. Excellent vanilla ice cream, real strawberries
>and strawberry syrup, and fine whipped cream. (According to the menu,
>we might have found kiwifruit or raspberries at other times of the
>year.)
>
>I don't think it's going to take the place of the hot fudge sundae in
>my mythology--not in general, that is, though that particular
>knickerbocker glory, on that Tuesday afternoon near the ruined castle
>in Swansea, may--but it was definitely a Good Thing, and the effort
>made to ensure that Leif and I could have this experience was an even
>better thing.

It sounds utterly wonderful--and "knickerbocker glory" is an infinitely
better name than the pedestrian "hot fudge sundae".

Nonetheless, I can't help wondering about a knickerbocker glory with
hot fudge.

--
Nancy Lebovitz na...@netaxs.com www.nancybuttons.com

The calligraphic button website is up!

Brenda Daverin

Jun 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/12/00
hig...@fnal.gov (Bill Higgins-- Beam Jockey) wrote in
<Pine.SGI.4.21.000609...@fsgi02.fnal.gov>:

>On Fri, 9 Jun 2000, Vicki Rosenzweig wrote:
>[never mind what she wrote]
>
>Is that The One Where Kirk, Spock, and McCoy are caught in a conflict
>between the natives, and near the end at the native feast they serve them
>egg creams,

Tangential note: Some folks who read this group and live in the San
Francisco Bay Area may be interested to know that the Trader Joe's in Menlo
Park is now carrying Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup, which I seem to recall is
supposed to be essential to a proper egg cream.

--
Brenda Daverin
bdav...@best.com