W J Burley mysteries

Cavaliers

Aug 19, 2008, 7:22:20 PM8/19/08
Hi Everyone,
I have just finished reading W. J. Burley's novel "Wycliffe and the Cycle of
Death". If anyone here has read this can you enlighten me. "Who did it?"

...... the story goes back one or two generations; it involves three
brothers and at the end of the story two are dead; one has been murdered,
and the other is suicide??? A murdered wife from aeons ago is included in
the plot, and on it goes. If you have read this novel perhaps you can tell
me the answer. Did the sister do the dirty deed or was it the brother?
This is not an author that I have read very much of so not familiar with the
style.

Also, anyone here have recommendations for murder/mystery authors please?
I usually enjoy authors whose origins/plots/locations are in the United
Kingdom rather than North America (enjoyed Sue Grafton) or elsewhere. I'm
going to have to start again with Ruth Rendell and P. D. James soon ...

Thank you,
Diana

Message has been deleted

Wes Struebing

Aug 19, 2008, 10:27:46 PM8/19/08
On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 09:57:51 +1000, Mike Burke <mbu...@pcug.org.au>
wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 23:22:20 GMT, "Cavaliers" <cava...@shaw.ca>
>wrote:

>>Also, anyone here have recommendations for murder/mystery authors please?
>>I usually enjoy authors whose origins/plots/locations are in the United
>>Kingdom rather than North America (enjoyed Sue Grafton) or elsewhere. I'm
>>going to have to start again with Ruth Rendell and P. D. James soon ...
>

>Hi, Diana. Welcome to RAM.
>
>You might like to read some of our favourite British authors. There
>are heaps:
>
>Stephen Booth, whose Cooper and Fry series is set in the Peak
>district, was a RAM regular and probably still lurks.
>
>Mark Billingham has the Thorne series although his latest, "In The
>Dark" is a terrific standalone with just the briefest walk on role for
>DI Thorne.
>
>Ian Rankin's Rebus series is set in Edinburgh and he has a backlist
>that will keep you reading until death do us part.
>
>Val MacDermid is another popular author and RAM friend with a large
>backlist.
>
>Peter Robinson (DCI Alan Banks), Dick Francis, John Baker, Reginald
>Hill (Dalziel & Pascoe), Colin Dexter (Morse) and Simon Kernick are
>just a few of the many others who have written many books set in the
>UK.
>
>Others will no doubt add to this list. I have enjoyed all of the
>above authors and can happily recommend them.

Indeed! (And welcome very much, Diana!) I'd recommend two of our
USA'ian authors, though one is not *really* a murder/mystery author.

Sean Chercover ("Big City, Bad Blood") and Kat Richardson (the one who
is not, so far a murder/mystery author, but a hell of a writer, anyway
- "the Greywalker series)

Of course, somewhat,err, older<G> is Harry Kemelman. I've always had
a soft spot in my head/heart for his Rabbi Small stuff...

(oh, and another Brit who was one of the first I read from this little
group, Richard Burke (Frozen))
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

A R Pickett

Aug 20, 2008, 1:26:07 AM8/20/08
Mique wrote in part - > Others will no doubt add to this list {of mysteries
set in the UK}

like me -

Stuart MacBride
David Lawrence (Stella Mooney is a protagonist to die for)
Denise Mina
Charles Todd
Michael Robotham
Just now being published in the US - Ann Cleeves
Ken Bruen (does Ireland count?)

Welcome to RAM, Diana!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"Sometimes the facts threaten the truth"
Amos Oz, prize winning Israeli author

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_idx_ws_all_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

ell...@webtv.net

Aug 20, 2008, 1:22:22 AM8/20/08
Hi, Diana, Nice to meet you. if ypu haveb't tried them you might enjoy
Janet Evanovich's Stephamie Plum series, set in exotiv New Jersey.
Sarah Pareetsky's VI Warshavski series.

IN gthr UK you can't fo better than Reneedell, but Minette Wlaters
(Watlters) should also appeal. There's anNZ (I think) writer, Patricia
Carlton, whose books are being reprintrd afetr 40 to 50 years and and
are psychological, and abound in eerie, uneasy feelings.

I hope that is some help and that you will report back on your
impressions of some of our suggestions.

Ellen

Maxine

Aug 20, 2008, 4:23:47 AM8/20/08

Martin Edwards (two series: Lake District and Harry Devlin).

Maxine

Aug 20, 2008, 4:34:19 AM8/20/08
On Aug 20, 12:22 am, "Cavaliers" <cavali...@shaw.ca> wrote:

Hi, I have posted your question at Friend Feed crime&mystery group
here: http://friendfeed.com/rooms/crime-and-mystery-fiction
Please join, it is free and has a nice layout for asking questions,
etc.
Anyone interested in crime fiction is more than welcome to join the
Friend Feed group, which featurs
several crime-fiction blogs where you can read reviews of books, and
other crime-fiction news.
best wishes
Maxine.

Thelma Roslyn Lubkin

Aug 20, 2008, 8:50:14 AM8/20/08
ell...@webtv.net wrote:

: IN gthr UK you can't fo better than Reneedell, but Minette Wlaters

: (Watlters) should also appeal. There's anNZ (I think) writer, Patricia
: Carlton, whose books are being reprintrd afetr 40 to 50 years and and
: are psychological, and abound in eerie, uneasy feelings.

Patricia Carlon is one of my favorite mystery writers.
--thelma
: Ellen

Stanley Moore

Aug 20, 2008, 9:06:05 AM8/20/08

"Cavaliers" <cava...@shaw.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Everyone,

> Also, anyone here have recommendations for murder/mystery authors please?
> I usually enjoy authors whose origins/plots/locations are in the United
> Kingdom rather than North America (enjoyed Sue Grafton) or elsewhere. I'm
> going to have to start again with Ruth Rendell and P. D. James soon ...

I like the old time classic British mysteries like M. Allingham, Ngaio
Marsh, and DL Sayers though these might be too old school for you. In the
modern ones there is a new author named Simon Beckett whos second book I
just started tonight. His first is The Chemistry of Death. The main
character is a GP who is hiding out in a remote village to escape the sorrow
of losing his wife and daughter. Anyway he gets involved in murders. There
are nice twists, interesting characters and a good plot. Also there is
plenty of forensic stuff but it is not overwhelming. I can recommend Mr.
Beckett. Take care
--
Stanley L. Moore
"The belief in a supernatural

K Barrett

Aug 20, 2008, 11:04:30 AM8/20/08
"Cavaliers" <cava...@shaw.ca> wrote in message

Try Rennie Airth. Writes about a Scotland Yard detective, set in the period
between the wars. First is 'River of Darkness'. He writes slowly, so savor
them.

K Barrett

Bud

Aug 20, 2008, 2:47:49 PM8/20/08
ell...@webtv.net wrote:
> Hi, Diana, Nice to meet you. if ypu haveb't tried them you might enjoy
> Janet Evanovich's Stephamie Plum series, set in exotiv New Jersey.
> Sarah Pareetsky's VI Warshavski series.
>
> IN gthr UK you can't fo better than Reneedell, but Minette Wlaters
> (Watlters) should also appeal. There's anNZ (I think) writer, Patricia
> Carlton, whose books are being reprintrd afetr 40 to 50 years and and
> are psychological, and abound in eerie, uneasy feelings.

What Elloon is trying to type is Minette Walters, highly reccomended.

> I hope that is some help and that you will report back on your
> impressions of some of our suggestions.
>
> Ellen

And welcome.
--
Bud, who watches out for our demented lovely, darling, and beautiful
lady

Cavaliers

Aug 22, 2008, 8:28:56 PM8/22/08
Thank you to
Martin, Maxine (thank you for the link), Mique, Wes, Ellen, A.R. Pickett
(aka Woodstock - yes, Ireland is good - it counts). Stanley (I like A.
Christie - so I'll investigate your recommendation) K. Barrett and Bud (who
watches).

I sincerely hope I've mentioned all who contributed to my query for new
authors that I might explore. Some are familiar and among my favourites--
M. Walters! excellent; Dexter, Robinson & Rankin aka Hardy...

As the evenings begin to draw in I will be starting on this new list.
Certainly, I'll drop in from time to time and discuss my new list of
authors. Off to see what the library has, but if not there are several very
good second hand book stores in town.

Thanks again to all - very much - this is a delightful group - so many
cheerful people.

Kindest regards,
Diana

"Bud" <b...@example.darkstar.net> wrote in message