output level on Lectro 411a ?

Jeff Colon, but damifino

Aug 24, 2005, 9:39:25 AM8/24/05
Hello All,

I was wondering what others are doing regarding the output level on the
411a. I usually run everything at nominal mic level unless I am
driving long lines. Is anyone using these at +5Dbu line -line, or or
Y'all just settng them at minus settings and going mic level in with
attenuation at the mic pre. I am using these with a SD442 on the usual
ENG EFP multi camera stuff. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff C

Larry Fisher

Aug 24, 2005, 10:52:47 AM8/24/05
Hi Jeff,
Some considerations about output levels. The internal circuity runs
wide open all the time and the output level is set by the amount of
attenuation in a step attenuator at the output. So there is no noise
or distortion advantage to running the output at lower levels.

If you have ground loops, external ground noise from power supplies,
something miswired, etc., a high output level will help "bury" the
noise. If you do have to attenuate the signal because of other
considerations (no line level input), it is best if you can do it at
the input of the external device rather than at the output of the 411.
This way you have the highest possible levels going down the cable.

See this FAQ on our site:
http://www.lectrosonics.com/faq/faq1byref.php?id=7

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

On 24 Aug 2005 06:39:25 -0700, "Jeff Colon, but damifino"

Jeff C

Aug 24, 2005, 2:39:46 PM8/24/05
Thanks Larry,

It makes a lot of sense now, I do not normally have ground loop issues
but I have had them with more than one camera running on "shore power".
I never knew why but it always seemed to work better on the
multicamera shoots to go line level...

Regards,
Jeff

P. S. all---I will have a couple of 190 systems (block 21-22) for sale
soon. e: if interested

Jon Tatooles

Aug 30, 2005, 11:00:41 PM8/30/05
Jeff,

We hope you are doing OK down in Metairie.

Jon Tatooles
Sound Devices, LLC

"Jeff C" <soundm...@gmail.com> wrote in message

d rosen

Aug 31, 2005, 8:14:35 AM8/31/05

hi larry,

just wanted to check with you that what your saying (above) also means
that there is no(?) difference in power consumption between running the
411 at line or mic level. or that there is certainly no less power
consumption running at a mic level?

dan

Larry Fisher

Aug 31, 2005, 10:18:36 AM8/31/05
Hi Dan,
You are correct; there is no difference in power consumption. The
UCR411 runs "wide open" at all times and the mic level and
intermediate output levels are set by attenuation of a line level
signal. One big benefit of this, is that we can assure the user that
there are no "gain" settings of the receiver that can clip the signal.

Best Regards,
Larry Fisher
Lectrosonics

On 31 Aug 2005 05:14:35 -0700, "d rosen"

Jeff C

Aug 31, 2005, 11:53:28 PM8/31/05
Thanks Jon,

myself, my dog, the 442 & gear are safe in Tennesse now. Seeing the
reports, nothing else seems to matter exept the safety of those who
stayed. lucky to be here at all..

Jeff Colon