Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Others Wait Longer For Discs

1 view

Mr. Hole the Magnificent

Jan 6, 2012, 3:52:19 PM1/6/12
By Peter Kafka, Warner Brothers Will Make Netflix, Redbox, Blockbuster
Wait Longer for New Movies via All Things D

Want to watch a new movie just out on DVD from Warner Brothers? You're
going to have to buy it, or wait even longer to get it from Netflix or
other disc renters.

A new deal between Time Warner's movie studio and Netflix, Redbox and
Blockbuster will double the "window" for new releases. That means the
services will now have to wait 56 days after the discs first go on
sale to offer them to their customers, instead of 28 days.

The move is part of Hollywood's ongoing campaign to bolster flagging
DVD sales, and sources tell me the new deal is supposed to be
announced at next week's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Warner Brothers executives have already talked publicly about
extending the current window.

This is the second time that Warner has been able to get the rental
services to wait before distributing its movies.

In 2010, it struck deals with Netflix, and later Coinstar's Redbox, to
wait 28 days before renting its new discs. Coinstar and Netflix later
landed similar pacts with most of the other big studios. (Coinstar did
up end up in legal battles with Universal Studios and 20th Century
Fox, which like this Web site is owned by News Corp.)

Two years ago, Netflix was able to argue that by delaying access to
DVDs, it was able to get its hands on more streaming content, and
lower prices for the discs it did buy. This time around, though,
Warner won't be granting any additional digital rights to the studios.
It will simply be offering them the ability to buy discs in bulk, at a
significant discount to retail pricing, like they already do.

Earlier today, news broke that HBO, another Time Warner unit, would
stop selling its DVDs to Netflix altogether, but sources tell me the
two moves aren't directly related. Next week's planned announcement is
supposed to be tied to Warner Brothers' continuing push for
Ultraviolet, an industry consortium that's supposed to allow home
video buyers to watch their purchases on multiple machines, in
multiple formats.

Reps for Time Warner, Coinstar, Netflix and Blockbuster parent company
Dish Network declined to comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/warner-brothers-netflix-redbox-blockbuster_n_1189112.html

globular

Jan 6, 2012, 7:22:40 PM1/6/12
Maybe they want to end DVDs altogether.
I can't tell if this means that HBO material will still be available on DVD.
I hope streaming never becomes the only way to see anything.
I prefer choice and control, this Ultraviolet sounds like control by the
companies.

notbob

Jan 6, 2012, 10:00:39 PM1/6/12
On 2012-01-07, globular <takecar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe they want to end DVDs altogether.

Let 'em.

The movies coming out now are so bad, so piss poor, it'll be no loss.
Most new movies newly released to Netflix are getting uniformly poor
ratings, 2-1/2 stars on avg. The last good movie I've seen outta
Hollywood was Winter's Bone. Even the last Harry Potter movie was a
diappointment. I'm about to cancel Netflix, the pickin's are so slim.

nb

--
vi --the root of evil

nick

Jan 6, 2012, 11:18:33 PM1/6/12
> >http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/06/warner-brothers-netflix-redb...
>
> Maybe they want to end DVDs altogether.
> I can't tell if this means that HBO material will still be available on DVD.

They will be. It just means that Netflix won't be getting any special
bulk deals from HBO; they'll have to buy the DVDs like anyone else
would, which means, I'm assuming, that if you're planning on watching
Mildred Peirce, Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire via Netflix, it's
going to be a "very long wait".

moviePig

Jan 7, 2012, 12:10:22 AM1/7/12
In fairness to HBO, they do give subscribers every opportunity to
obviate dvds of their stuff, with an free on-demand offering as broad
as the individual cable co. will allow.

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

Mr. Hole the Magnificent

Jan 7, 2012, 2:19:09 PM1/7/12
On Jan 6, 11:18 pm, nick <nickmacpherso...@AOL.com> wrote:
This just moves more people to stuff like demonoid I get laughed at by
the majority of people when I mention I still pay to watch dvds.

Obveeus

Jan 7, 2012, 6:11:40 PM1/7/12

"Mr. Hole the Magnificent" <classic...@gmail.com> wrote:

>This just moves more people to stuff like demonoid I get laughed at by
>the majority of people when I mention I still pay to watch dvds.

You hang out with the wrong kind of people.

John Doe

Jan 7, 2012, 7:01:32 PM1/7/12
"Obveeus" <Obveeus aol.com> wrote:

> "Mr. Hole the Magnificent" <classic.mr.hole gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> This just moves more people to stuff like demonoid I get laughed
>> at by the majority of people when I mention I still pay to watch
>> dvds.
>
> You hang out with the wrong kind of people.

You mean like people who do not like being forced to jump through
hoops just to watch a movie, like the movies available through
Netflix? In other words... It's not just the pirates, on the other
side you have the copyright holders who are living in some fantasy
land.

Mr. Hole the Magnificent

Jan 7, 2012, 8:53:15 PM1/7/12
On Jan 7, 6:11 pm, "Obveeus" <Obve...@aol.com> wrote:
> "Mr. Hole the Magnificent" <classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >This just moves more people to stuff like demonoid I get laughed at by
> >the majority of people when I mention I still pay to watch dvds.
>
> You hang out with the wrong kind of people.

Its people from all walks of life downloading now. The movies studios
are making the same mistakes the record companies made a decade ago.

Obveeus

Jan 7, 2012, 10:06:56 PM1/7/12

"Mr. Hole the Magnificent" <classic...@gmail.com> wrote:
It is always a bad idea to expect people to be decent human beings rather
than thieves.