James Camerons Next Film Is...

1 view

SonySddS1

Dec 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/24/97

It was in the Chicago Sun Times today that Cameron's next film will be
producing(not directing) "Planet Of The Apes".
A Guide To Current Film: http://members.aol.com/dtsdigital/start.html A
comprehensive guide to the world of current film.

Jeff Joseph

Dec 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/29/97

In article <19971224002...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
sony...@aol.com (SonySddS1) wrote:

>It was in the Chicago Sun Times today that Cameron's next film will be
>producing(not directing) "Planet Of The Apes".

It took THAT long to find out? Hell, Cameron told just that to Howard
Stern days before. The next film he'd direct *tomorrow* would be
"Spiderman" if he could ever get the rights to it...

----------*------------*-------------*------------*-------------*-----
Jeff Joseph. Stonecutter #107.
E-mail:jjo...@interlog.com
"The "right" to education...health care...food and
housing. That's not freedom; that's dependency.
Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery
- hay and a barn for human cattle" - P.J. O'Rourke
----------*------------*-------------*------------*-------------*-----

Emma

Dec 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/30/97

> In article <19971224002...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
> sony...@aol.com (SonySddS1) wrote:
>
> >It was in the Chicago Sun Times today that Cameron's next film will be
> >producing(not directing) "Planet Of The Apes".
>
> It took THAT long to find out? Hell, Cameron told just that to Howard
> Stern days before. The next film he'd direct *tomorrow* would be
> "Spiderman" if he could ever get the rights to it...

What happened to Terminator 3?!

Emma :-)

Martin Laverdure

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

Limbo. Hopefully. Spiderman would be a better experience for us (moviegoers).

Martin Laverdure

Ty Klein

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

<34a48289...@news.interlog.com>, jjo...@interlog.com wrote:

> > > It took THAT long to find out? Hell, Cameron told just that to Howard
> > > Stern days before. The next film he'd direct *tomorrow* would be
> > > "Spiderman" if he could ever get the rights to it...
> >
> > What happened to Terminator 3?!
>

> Limbo. Hopefully.

Cameron has pretty much said flat out that he isn't going to do T3.

--
Ty Klein

Jeff Joseph

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

In article <glengran-301...@portal-as29.labyrinth.net.au>,
glen...@labyrinth.net.au (Emma) wrote:

>In article <34a48289...@news.interlog.com>, jjo...@interlog.com wrote:
>
>> In article <19971224002...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
>> sony...@aol.com (SonySddS1) wrote:
>>
>> >It was in the Chicago Sun Times today that Cameron's next film will be
>> >producing(not directing) "Planet Of The Apes".
>>
>> It took THAT long to find out? Hell, Cameron told just that to Howard
>> Stern days before. The next film he'd direct *tomorrow* would be
>> "Spiderman" if he could ever get the rights to it...
>
>What happened to Terminator 3?!

He said absolutely nothing about it. In fact, he said that, barring
getting the "Spiderman" rights, he has no directing plans for the next
few years.

I would expect that any "Terminator 3" idea would be handled by another
director unless Ah-nold's participation (if he's even seen anything) is
dependent on Cameron behind the camera.

----------*------------*-------------*------------*-------------*-----
Jeff Joseph. Stonecutter #107.
E-mail:jjo...@interlog.com

"Male jewelry is strictly for the bourgeoisie. Rich, smart men know
about money and what it's good for. Why buy gold bracelets when
there's a takeover battle looming at RJR/Nabisco and they could spend
the money on skyrocketing stock shares instead?" - P.J. O'Rourke
----------*------------*-------------*------------*-------------*-----

The ScriptPro 2000 System

Dec 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/31/97

jjo...@interlog.com wrote:

sony...@aol.com (SonySddS1) wrote:

It was in the Chicago Sun Times today
that Cameron's next film will be
producing(not directing) "Planet Of The
Apes".

It took THAT long to find out? Hell, Cameron
told just that to Howard Stern days before. The
next film he'd direct *tomorrow* would be
"Spiderman" if he could ever get the rights to
it...

What happened to Terminator 3?!

Limbo. Hopefully. Spiderman would be a better experience for us
(moviegoers).

STOP IT! I am so sick of reading how "great" SPIDER MAN would be. I've
read Cameron's scriptment, and it's the worst fucking thing he's ever
touched. Trust me... if it was really brilliant, the studios would have
worked the deal out already. MGM isn't stupid, and neither is Fox.

Actually, I take that back. Studios are plenty stupid. They just
happen to be right in this case. SPIDER MAN either needs to start over
from scratch without Cameron's H O R R I B L E scriptment as the basis,
or someone else should make it.

For the record, I'm a Cameron fan. I'm also able to judge his work on a
one-by-one basis. When it comes to SPIDER MAN, wait until there's
something for you to judge before you run around talking about how the
experience would be for filmgoers.

Drew
POISONVILLE, LTD.
http://www.pacificnet.net/~noname/
Want to write me? Figure out the NO SPAM thing and feel free.
"When Kenny said he had found Jesus, I said 'Yahoo! We're rich!' Later,
I found out he meant something else." - Jack Handey, THE LOST DEEP
THOUGHTS.

Paul Gordon

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

The ScriptPro 2000 System <mcs...@pacbell.net> wrote:
>STOP IT! I am so sick of reading how "great" SPIDER MAN would be. I've
>read Cameron's scriptment, and it's the worst fucking thing he's ever
>touched. Trust me... if it was really brilliant, the studios would have
>worked the deal out already. MGM isn't stupid, and neither is Fox.
>
>Actually, I take that back. Studios are plenty stupid. They just
>happen to be right in this case. SPIDER MAN either needs to start over
>from scratch without Cameron's H O R R I B L E scriptment as the basis,
>or someone else should make it.

Maybe you're right, but ...

This sounds startlingly like the treatment that "Titanic" was getting in
this NG for most of this year.

Let's just see what develops.

--
Paul Gordon (gor...@neosoft.com)
"When faced with a problem you do not understand, do any

ELurio

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

According to the people at Corona, Cameron's next film is "Avitar" a full
length cartoon. Well not exactly a cartoon...more like "Toy Story" for the
action/adventure crowd. Pure CGI.

eric l.

Marc Buhmann

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

Cameron has stated that he doesn't have anything planned at this time. He is
taking a few years off before he does his next movie. Just be patient and
we'll know in the coming year or so.

----
Marc Buhmann - rol...@megsinet.net

Cartman: Mom! The cat's being a dildo!
Mom: Well, I know a special kitty kitty who will be sleeping with mommy tonight.

I haven't seen an Englishman take a blow like that since Hugh Grant...

- South Park

Brian D. Short

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

I cant imagine how bad it could be, since I read in Cinescape magazine
that Cameron's script had been approved by Stan Lee (the creator of
Spider-Man for those who dont know). The only thing I know about the
script is that Peter Parker is really neurotic about his powers, which
is why Cameron is considering casing DiCaprio in the role of Peter
Parker.
I also read in Cinescape that Spider Man was out of it's legal hold up
(Carolco had something to do with it I think), so hopefully Cameron will
start work on Spider-Man after he's recovered from Titanic.

Brian Short

Jun Yan

Jan 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/1/98

He said himself that he's going to do "Avatar" next, or maybe take 5 years
off.

jun

GScywalkr

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

I heard that because of all the money he wasted on Titanic (I haven't seen it
yet, but any time you spend $200 million some of it must have been wasted and
from the trailers I've seen it looks like a lot was. Sorry to all of you who
liked it, but that's just the way I feel.) Cameron will make Terminator 3 for
Fox, who bought the rights after Carolco went belly-up. Just what I heard.
Don't know if it's true.

Adam Donahue

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

GScywalkr (gscy...@aol.com) wrote:
: I heard that because of all the money he wasted on Titanic (I haven't seen it

: yet, but any time you spend $200 million some of it must have been wasted and
: from the trailers I've seen it looks like a lot was. Sorry to all of you who
: liked it, but that's just the way I feel.) Cameron will make Terminator 3 for

The thing you should be sorry about is the fact that you've made any kind
of judgement at all having not even seen the film.

Adam
--

Adam Donahue / mailto:ad...@cyber-guru.com

Emma

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

In article <19980103211...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,
gscy...@aol.com (GScywalkr) wrote:

> I heard that because of all the money he wasted on Titanic (I haven't seen it
> yet, but any time you spend $200 million some of it must have been wasted and
> from the trailers I've seen it looks like a lot was. Sorry to all of you who
> liked it, but that's just the way I feel.) Cameron will make Terminator 3 for

> Fox, who bought the rights after Carolco went belly-up. Just what I heard.
> Don't know if it's true.

I personally, am praying that Cameron will make Terminator 3 his next
project, and have it ready for release in '99. :D

Emma :-)

--
Xerox your life...then if you lose it you've always got a copy.

Homage

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

Cameron has said, pretty conclusively, that T3 will not happen, at
least not via him. Mind you, he probably also feels that people
shouldn't judge his movies based on seeing the trailers, so what does he
know?

- Tom, who will not be seeing Godzilla, because he saw the poster and
it was crap! Just all black with "GODZILLA" on it! What the bloody hell
was all that about? I couldn't believe it.

Jeff Joseph

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

>According to the people at Corona, Cameron's next film is "Avitar" a full
>length cartoon. Well not exactly a cartoon...more like "Toy Story" for the
>action/adventure crowd. Pure CGI.

That sounds like something where he'd work in an executive producer
capacity as opposed to director. Presumably, "Avitar" is either being
developed by his special effects company - Lightstorm - or some new
affiliate of it.

Jeff Joseph

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

In article <34AAF0...@pacbell.net>, The ScriptPro 2000 System
<mcs...@pacbell.net> wrote:

>STOP IT! I am so sick of reading how "great" SPIDER MAN would be. I've
>read Cameron's scriptment, and it's the worst fucking thing he's ever
>touched.

Well, they used to say that about "Titanic" too (although, actually,
"Titanic" isn't really that good of a script. It's just extremely well
acted.)

Given that Cameron has the approval of Stan Lee on the script treatment
- and Lee is a very fickle kind of guy - I would presume the biggest
pressure would be making Spiderman look as authentic as possible.

>Trust me... if it was really brilliant, the studios would have
>worked the deal out already. MGM isn't stupid, and neither is Fox.

Has nothing to do with the studios. The big issue right now has to do
with who owns the right to SELL the movie rights for the comic strip, a
problem which manifested when Carolco and Marvel Entertainment both
filed Chapter 11 in the last few years. So now you have a comic company,
a production company, a couple of accounting trustees, Ron Perlman, and
heck knows what else involved. A true "spider web" if there ever was
one.

Derek Janssen

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Jeff Joseph wrote:

> In article <19980101141...@ladder02.news.aol.com>,
> elu...@aol.com (ELurio) wrote:
>
> >According to the people at Corona, Cameron's next film is "Avitar" a full
> >length cartoon. Well not exactly a cartoon...more like "Toy Story" for the
> >action/adventure crowd. Pure CGI.
>
> That sounds like something where he'd work in an executive producer
> capacity as opposed to director. Presumably, "Avitar" is either being
> developed by his special effects company - Lightstorm - or some new
> affiliate of it.

They're STILL talking about "Avatar", may it rest in peace??
I thought they officially threw the last shovelful two years ago...

Derek Janssen
dja...@ultrnaet.com

ELurio

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

They're STILL talking about "Avatar", may it rest in peace??
I thought they officially threw the last shovelful two years ago...

Derek Janssen<<

Sorry to disapoint you, Derek, but it's still alive.

eric l.

The ScriptPro 2000 System

Jan 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/8/98

Jeff Joseph wrote:

elu...@aol.com (ELurio) wrote:

According to the people at Corona, Cameron's next film
is "Avitar" a full length cartoon. Well not exactly a
cartoon...more like "Toy Story" for the action/adventure
crowd. Pure CGI.

That sounds like something where he'd work in an executive
producer capacity as opposed to director. Presumably, "Avitar"
is either being developed by his special effects company -
Lightstorm - or some new affiliate of it.

The original poster is only partially correct about the nature of
AVATAR. It's not a fully CG film, although it will probably be the most
elaborate mixture of CG and live action (barring the STAR WARS prequels)
ever attempted. Without going into the plot too far, it concerns our
efforts to explore and settle an alien planet using specially bred
telekinetic alien creatures. An entire world will have to be created by
Cameron and his team, along with an elaborate infrastructure of native
life -- all sorts of flaura and fauna, all interlinked. The scriptment
that Cameron wrote is provocative and ambitious, and it will be
interesting to see if Cameron actually decides to move ahead with the
film. R&D is evidently being done by Digital Domain to see if it's even
possible to make the film right now for any cost, let alone a reasonable
one.

I'm pretty sure Cameron won't decide about directing or not directing
the film until there's a finished screenplay, and he's a long way off
from that right now.

Drew
POISONVILLE, LTD.
http://www.pacificnet.net/~noname/
Want to write me? Figure out the NO SPAM thing and feel free

"I am the undisputed breakfast master!" - Space Ghost, SGC2C