[ANNOUNCE] Good News, Everyone!

Stan Juprak

Apr 1, 2008, 1:17:09 AM4/1/08
=== What's the Good News? ===

Multiplayer IF is finally here!

=== Introducing GUNCHO ===

I'd like you to meet Guncho, a system for writing online multiplayer
games with the tools, parsers, and libraries you already know from
single-player interactive fiction.

You can think of it like a game where every player is the star of his
own story, playing the role of the "PC" while everyone else plays
"NPCs" -- and vice versa.

Or you can think of it like a MUD where all the locations, objects,
and behavior are coded in a familiar IF language instead of confusing
MUD macros.

Either way, you're in for a blast. Log in and join the amazing world
of Guncho! The world I've built for this public beta shows a few
things you can create with Guncho, and also makes for a great place to
chat. Some of your friends might even be there by the time you read
this!

=== How to Connect ===

You can use any MUD client or telnet program to connect to the host
"guncho.game-host.org" on port 4108.

Windows users, try SimpleMU: http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/

Mac users, try Atlantis: http://www.riverdark.net/atlantis/

Unix users, try TinyFugue: http://tinyfugue.sourceforge.net/

If you'd rather not install a MUD client, you can open a command
prompt and type "telnet guncho.game-host.org 4108" (on most operating
systems).

=== How to Make Your Own Game ===

After you create an account, you can build your own little world using
a variety of languages, from Snap to Inform 7. All the compilers and
interpreters have been modified to work seamlessly with more than one
player character. Once you submit your game's source code, it'll be
compiled automatically, and then my special one-step process will
merge it into the overall story that's been written by the other
Guncho users.

The possibilities are endless! Craft an intricate story with a handful
of heroes, or design a museum with exhibits that dozens of people can
see at once. Make an abstract world of puzzles or a florid land of
conversations.

Want to work with some other authors to create a multi-episode game?
That makes Guncho happy! Want to make something that doesn't fit in at
all? That's OK, Guncho won't judge you. Let it flow!

=== Beta Release Notes ===

With some MUD clients, you might experience a network delay, where
buffered output from the MUD is sent all at once each time you press
enter. This happens with telnet software that doesn't correctly
implement RFC 1097, but it can sometimes be fixed by toggling "line
mode" in your client. I ask for your patience while I try to work
around it on my end.

Have fun!

Regards,
Stan Juprak

puzzler

Apr 1, 2008, 3:49:19 AM4/1/08
Sounds very cool. Can you explain how to get an account, and how the
process of adding IF segments to Guncho works?

Nikos Chantziaras

Apr 1, 2008, 4:11:03 AM4/1/08
puzzler wrote:
> Sounds very cool. Can you explain how to get an account, and how the
> process of adding IF segments to Guncho works?

It's not for real. Because today...

Stan Juprak

Apr 1, 2008, 4:41:34 AM4/1/08

Today is the anniversary of the introduction of Gmail, another very
real service that also starts with a G.

There are eleven players online right now, and at this rate, that
number will only grow larger as time goes by. Won't you join us?

Regards,
Stanton Juprak

grim

Apr 1, 2008, 10:38:24 AM4/1/08
Stan Juprak (Tue, 01 Apr 2008 01:41:34 -0700):

STANTON JUPRAK = "Not Just A Prank"?

grim.

Nikos Chantziaras

Apr 1, 2008, 11:02:23 AM4/1/08
grim wrote:
> [...]

> STANTON JUPRAK = "Not Just A Prank"?

o.O

ChicagoDave

Apr 1, 2008, 11:40:39 AM4/1/08

Figures. MultiPlayer IF is probably just too damn complex to implement
well. I knew it was 4/1, but really had hoped that someone would solve
this problem and make some sort of mpif engine. They did put a bit of
effort into the joke though. It seems like a real mud or something.

David C.

James Jolley

Apr 1, 2008, 12:09:46 PM4/1/08

I did turn this to my advantage though. Thank you for mentioning
Atlantis the MUD client. If it wasn't for that, i'd not be back up on
ifMUD. Terrific to find it accessible. Todays joke = tomorrows gain
for me.

stu...@animats.net

Apr 1, 2008, 8:16:45 PM4/1/08

I have experimented in the past with writing a game where there are a
fixed number of characters and the command prompt just cycles through
all the characters one at time for each to make a move. If doesn't
give you the real-time experience like a mud, but it does give you the
IF equivalent of a chess game and can be quite fun.

Stuart

vaporware

Apr 2, 2008, 1:41:51 AM4/2/08
Now that April 1 is over, I have some more good news to add: Guncho is
real. Pretty much everything in that announcement was true

ChicagoDave

Apr 2, 2008, 2:02:00 AM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 12:41 am, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that April 1 is over, I have some more good news to add: Guncho is
> real. Pretty much everything in that announcement was true

Indeed.

Jesse let me see the software about a week or so ago and I've had a
chance to play around with it a bit.

I have to say, I think with a little research and time for people to
create useful extensions, Guncho will very likely meet most or all of
the requirements I have always imagined for multi-player IF.

This is a very serious advancement in IF development, possibly as big
of a deal as anything to date.

Kudos to Jesse for an extraordinary game engine.

David C.

vaporware

Apr 2, 2008, 2:33:58 AM4/2/08
Now that April 1 is over (for most of us), I have some more good news

to add: Guncho is real.

Pretty much everything in that announcement was true - it's just that
what you saw wasn't Guncho. But now it is! You can create an account
at http://guncho.game-host.org/ and log in with it at the same
address, guncho.game-host.org port 4108.

Guncho is a multiplayer IF system based on Inform 7 (no Snap!, sorry).
You can create new "realms" through the web site, upload your I7 code,
and then walk around in them. Edit the code, click the Save button,
and your changes are instantly visible. Realms can be linked together,
creating one big patchwork quilt of a world.

Unfortunately, there's no documentation yet. Expect that to come in
the near future, along with some more realms to explore. For now, here
are some quick tips:

* Chat with other players by prefixing your text with a double quote
("), or emote by using a colon (:), or you can use the "say" and
"emote" commands if your fingers need exercise.

* The easiest way to make action text work as expected is to make sure
every action you create has report rules for NPCs as well as for the
player. Every player literally is the PC from their own perspective
and an NPC from every other perspective, so when someone else picks up
an object, you see whatever's printed by the rule "report someone
taking" and they see whatever's printed by the rule "report taking".

* In order for people to be able to get to your realm by walking,
you'll need the owner of some other realm to link theirs to yours. If
you haven't been linked in yet, or don't want to be, you can still get
to your realm by typing @teleport <realm_name>.

* You probably don't want to write "every turn" rules for randomized
events and NPC actions, because a turn happens every time anyone types
anything, and sometimes even when no one is typing. There is some
limited support for making game events happen in real time via a
special rulebook, though.

More information will be ready in the near future... for now, play
around.

Finally, I'd like to give thanks to Emily Short and David Cornelson
for their feedback and contributions to this project, and half a thank
to Adam Thornton for suggesting an idea that I almost had time to
implement.

vw

JDC

Apr 2, 2008, 2:49:54 AM4/2/08
This looks very cool. I've only wandered around a little since, sadly,
I must get up in the morning, but I definitely am looking forward to
exploring this.

-JDC

Conrad

Apr 2, 2008, 7:48:15 AM4/2/08
On Apr 2, 2:02 am, ChicagoDave <david.cornel...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This is a very serious advancement in IF development, possibly as big
> of a deal as anything to date.

As much as I'm into IF, I generally give dating a higher priority.

Conrad.

Depresiv

Apr 2, 2008, 8:53:17 AM4/2/08

I've seen bad jokes but... man... :P

Adam Thornton

Apr 2, 2008, 11:15:48 AM4/2/08
In article <ff474396-3cda-47b6...@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,

vaporware <jmc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Finally, I'd like to give thanks to Emily Short and David Cornelson
>for their feedback and contributions to this project, and half a thank
>to Adam Thornton for suggesting an idea that I almost had time to
>implement.

You wel

Adam

Josh Lawrence

Apr 3, 2008, 1:03:50 AM4/3/08

Yes, very cool stuff. I got Nate Cull's Planner demo running on it,
with the NPC making its moves and reactions in realtime - very fun!
Lots of possibilities here.

Josh

vaporware

Apr 3, 2008, 11:56:15 PM4/3/08
For anyone who missed the April Fools Day experience, here's a play-at-
home version with I7 source code:

http://www.guncho.com/stanjuprak.zip

vw

Aaron A. Reed

Apr 4, 2008, 1:56:29 AM4/4/08
On Apr 2, 12:33 am, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that April 1 is over (for most of us), I have some more good news
> to add: Guncho is real.
>
> Pretty much everything in that announcement was true - it's just that
> what you saw wasn't Guncho. But now it is! You can create an account
> athttp://guncho.game-host.org/and log in with it at the same

Sorry if I'm being thick here, but how do I connect? Do I need a MUD
client or something?

--Aaron

vaporware

Apr 4, 2008, 2:02:14 AM4/4/08
On Apr 3, 9:56 pm, "Aaron A. Reed" <aar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 12:33 am, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Now that April 1 is over (for most of us), I have some more good news
> > to add: Guncho is real.
>
> > Pretty much everything in that announcement was true - it's just that
> > what you saw wasn't Guncho. But now it is! You can create an account
> > athttp://guncho.game-host.org/andlog in with it at the same

You don't *need* one, but it helps. See the original post for links to
a few clients; if you're on Windows, some other popular ones besides
SimpleMU are MUSHClient, zMUD, and Pueblo.

If you don't have a client installed, you can still use telnet. Open a
command prompt and type "telnet guncho.game-host.org 4108".

vw

vaporware

Apr 4, 2008, 10:12:50 PM4/4/08
On Apr 1, 10:33 pm, vaporware <jmcg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Now that April 1 is over (for most of us), I have some more good news
> to add: Guncho is real.
[...]

> Unfortunately, there's no documentation yet.

Some documentation is now starting to come together at the Guncho
wiki:

http://wiki.guncho.com/

vw