Validium, Gallifrey and Lady Peinforte

1 view

Christopher Chantler

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

I've got a few queries about the 'living metal'
Validium, and how it relates to Gallifrey. And
what Peinforte's role in the whole thing is.

1) Validium was created as Gallifrey's ultimate
defence, but enemy forces tried to get hold of it
so the Time Lords ejected it into space in an
asteroid. Did they not think where it would end
up, and that it would inevitably cause trouble, or
was it just supposed to circle Gallifrey forever?
If so, how did it end up in Berkshire in 1638?

2) How exactly is it supposed to help people take
over the world? All the Nemesis did was gossip
with Lady Peinforte for a while (or did it?).

3) Why did Lady Peinforte want to take over the
world? Was she just an insane megalomaniac? (Good
enough reason, I suppose).

4) Why did Lady Peinforte *care* about the
Doctor's 'secrets'?

5) How did the Nemesis know the Doctor's secrets
anyway?

6) Was the Doctor present at the creation of
Validium?

I'm working on a piece of fanfic that acts as a
prequel to Silver Nemesis, and was also wondering
if anyone has seen or done anything like this
before. If so, what was it like?

Jonathan Blum

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

In article <3309A7...@ukc.ac.uk>,

Christopher Chantler <cj...@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:
>I've got a few queries about the 'living metal'
>Validium, and how it relates to Gallifrey. And
>what Peinforte's role in the whole thing is.

Don't we all... :-)

>1) Validium was created as Gallifrey's ultimate
>defence, but enemy forces tried to get hold of it
>so the Time Lords ejected it into space in an
>asteroid. Did they not think where it would end
>up, and that it would inevitably cause trouble, or
>was it just supposed to circle Gallifrey forever?
>If so, how did it end up in Berkshire in 1638?

None of the stuff about enemy forces, or why the validium left Gallifrey,
is in the story. The Doctor tells Ace that the validium was created "by
Rassilon". "And?" "And Omega." "And?" "And none of it should ever have
left Gallifrey in the first place." By which point we drop an even less
subtle hint that there was anOther person involved with the first two, and
Ace suspects who it is. But we're never told how the validium got from
Gallifrey to Earth. All we know is that the Doctor's the one who launches
it on the rocket-sled out of 1638.

>2) How exactly is it supposed to help people take
>over the world? All the Nemesis did was gossip
>with Lady Peinforte for a while (or did it?).

Well, it's an ultimate weapon. When it wakes up in the morning and yawns,
it blows out windows in the crypt. It blows up an entire Cyberfleet
without breaking a sweat. I'm sure suitably twisted people could find all
sorts of threats to make to the world if they had control of something
like that.

>3) Why did Lady Peinforte want to take over the
>world? Was she just an insane megalomaniac? (Good
>enough reason, I suppose).

I think that's basically it, really. Though if she really was, as the
climax of the story suggests, an offshoot of the statue rather than a
person in her own right, that would suggest why she was a
destruction-crazed loon.

>4) Why did Lady Peinforte *care* about the
>Doctor's 'secrets'?

Cause she figured she could use them to intimidate the Doctor into handing
over the Nemesis.

>5) How did the Nemesis know the Doctor's secrets
>anyway?

The Nemesis definitely encountered the Doctor at least once before, in
1638 -- and who knows, if the Doctor was around in the Old Time, he might
have had a hand in the Nemesis' creation. The Doctor certainly had had
long talks with the Nemesis about *something* before -- there's that
wonderfully low-key but portentous scene where the Doctor says that the
Nemesis will not have its freedom this time because "things are still
imperfect", and references to "That's what you said the last time..."

>6) Was the Doctor present at the creation of
>Validium?

Maybe...

Regards,
Jon Blum
"All this time you two thought you were playing some twisted game of
chess... when it was just me playing solitaire!"
D O C T O R W H O : T I M E R I F T

Luke Gutzwiller

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Christopher Chantler wrote:

> 1) Validium was created as Gallifrey's ultimate
> defence, but enemy forces tried to get hold of it
> so the Time Lords ejected it into space in an
> asteroid. Did they not think where it would end
> up, and that it would inevitably cause trouble, or
> was it just supposed to circle Gallifrey forever?
> If so, how did it end up in Berkshire in 1638?

Not really sure how it left Gallifrey, but the Time Lords have never
much cared where their artifacts of unimaginable power end up. They
just abandon things like the Hand of Omega or the N-Form somewhere in
the cosmos...

> 2) How exactly is it supposed to help people take
> over the world? All the Nemesis did was gossip
> with Lady Peinforte for a while (or did it?).

It *did* destroy an entire Cyber fleet, you recall. It destroys things.

> 3) Why did Lady Peinforte want to take over the
> world? Was she just an insane megalomaniac? (Good
> enough reason, I suppose).

Yes.

> 4) Why did Lady Peinforte *care* about the
> Doctor's 'secrets'?

Blackmail.

> 5) How did the Nemesis know the Doctor's secrets
> anyway?

Hmm...maybe it heard them on Gallifrey? Or maybe the Doctor told it?
Or maybe it knew the Other?

> 6) Was the Doctor present at the creation of
> Validium?

Who knows? Haha. Somebody stop me...
I don't think he, as himself, was. Perhaps it involved the Other...
Luke Gutzwiller
e-mail: luc...@probe.net
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/3612
"Spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska!"
-Kryten 2X4B-523P

Evil One

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Don't forget about "Robot". I suggested a long time ago that validium was the
same living metal that Kettlewell thought he had invented. How come
nobody stole my idea and put in their NA/MA?

Luke Gutzwiller

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Probably because Kettlewell's living metal couldn't blow things up like
Validium. It needed that disintegrator gun, you may recall. Validium
just somehow has vast natural powers of destruction, while the living
metal Robot had to trigger a nuclear war to destroy the world...

Luke Gutzwiller

Feb 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/18/97

Evil One wrote:

> Don't forget about "Robot". I suggested a long time ago that validium was the
> same living metal that Kettlewell thought he had invented. How come
> nobody stole my idea and put in their NA/MA?

Probably because Kettlewell's living metal couldn't blow things up like
Validium. It needed that disintegrator gun, you may recall. Validium

just somehow has vast natural powers to destroy...

pan...@ibm.net

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

Validium is the Gallifreyan version of Domestos.
It scours the universe looking for alien dirt to
blast into oblivion. It has no discrimination...
be they Cybermen or neo-Nazis or people who are
only tangentially involved by accident of geography.

Validium - kills all known Germans dead.

Peter Anghelides

NEKO

Feb 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/19/97

On 18 Feb 1997, Jonathan Blum wrote:

> In article <3309A7...@ukc.ac.uk>,
> Christopher Chantler <cj...@ukc.ac.uk> wrote:

> >1) Validium was created as Gallifrey's ultimate
> >defence, but enemy forces tried to get hold of it
> >so the Time Lords ejected it into space in an
> >asteroid. Did they not think where it would end
> >up, and that it would inevitably cause trouble, or
> >was it just supposed to circle Gallifrey forever?

[snip]

But we're never told how the validium got from
> Gallifrey to Earth. All we know is that the Doctor's the one who launches
> it on the rocket-sled out of 1638.

My pet theory is that one of the reasons the Doctor left Gallifrey was
in pursuit of the Master, who stole Validium & the Hand (as he would later
do with other races ancient superweapons) to Lay Waste The Cosmos (echo,
echo); the Doctor defeated him, reclaiming the artifacts, but didn't want
to return them to Gallifrey. There was also one other thing the Master
took that the Doctor didn't return (hint, hint)...

> >3) Why did Lady Peinforte want to take over the
> >world? Was she just an insane megalomaniac? (Good
> >enough reason, I suppose).
>

> I think that's basically it, really. Though if she really was, as the
> climax of the story suggests, an offshoot of the statue rather than a
> person in her own right, that would suggest why she was a
> destruction-crazed loon.

Is *that* what you got from it?! I thought it was pretty clear that the
Doctor didn't want her babbling his Secrets, and had the statue "retire"
her...

> Regards,
> Jon Blum

Neko

Alden Bates

Feb 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/21/97

Christopher Chantler (cj...@ukc.ac.uk) writes:
>1) Validium was created as Gallifrey's ultimate
>defence, but enemy forces tried to get hold of it
>so the Time Lords ejected it into space in an
>asteroid. Did they not think where it would end
>up, and that it would inevitably cause trouble, or
>was it just supposed to circle Gallifrey forever?
>If so, how did it end up in Berkshire in 1638?

They should have aimed further to the left. I'd have thought that
the safest place would be on Gallifrey, behind the transduction
shield and miscellaneous Time Lord defence systems...

>2) How exactly is it supposed to help people take
>over the world? All the Nemesis did was gossip
>with Lady Peinforte for a while (or did it?).

If it's time permeable, perhaps it can tell her where to go and
what to do in order to take over. Maybe she could use it to
threaten people with. "Hand over your kingdom or my statue will
lay waste to your armies, etc."

>3) Why did Lady Peinforte want to take over the
>world?

Well, it's a laugh, innit?

'Sides that, you can have the peasants waiting on you hand and
foot. Just have to make sure the buggers don't start getting ideas
about revolting.

>4) Why did Lady Peinforte *care* about the
>Doctor's 'secrets'?

Knowledge is power.

>5) How did the Nemesis know the Doctor's secrets
>anyway?

Yes.

>6) Was the Doctor present at the creation of
>Validium?

Who knows.

Alden Bates.

--
__ __ al...@bates.wn.planet.gen.nz | aba...@wn.planet.gen.nz
/. | .\ http://www.wn.planet.gen.nz/~abates | "That's a daft idea"

vra...@aol.com

Feb 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM2/27/97

I always kind of thought that it was the Doctor that stole Validium, and the Hand, together with the prototype Eye of Harmony, when he fled Gallifrey. My theory is that he saw Morbius rising to power and wanted to ensure that the more dangerous Time lord artefacts were out of his reach. I always thought the Master was one of Morbius' acolytes, so to speak, and he tried to recruit his friend the Doctor, who he knew was unhappy with Gallifreyan life. The Doctor was horrified by Morbius' ambitions and fled, causing the rift between him and the Master. how's that for opening a whole new can of worms?

By the way, Hi to every on RADW from a first-timer. And how DO you do that thing where you mix your message in with the earlier one?

daear...@aol.com

Mar 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/3/97

>By the way, Hi to every on RADW from a first-timer. And how DO you do that
>thing where you mix your message in with the earlier one?

Select the text before you hit reply to group and pray that AOL's news server
is working.

Alex
======================
What are you assuming now?

Cyborg1880

Mar 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/26/97

It sounds like a good theory. I don't rightly remember (or remember
rightly) if Tom Baker's reaction to hearing the name Morbius was one of
surprise because he, like everyone else, thought Morbius was dead, or if
it was because he knew Morbius and did not care to meet him again. I
personally think it is a reaction to the name, rather than familiarity of
the person.

Cyborg1880
"Say the word, Feel the power"