A Sort Of Press Release - Doctor Who's on HBO OLE!

Benjamin F. Elliott

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99
HBO OLE can be found at http://www.hbo-ole.com/

Following up on a lead in the latest Doctor Who Alliance Newsletter, I
tracked down HBO OLE's website to determine if the story was true. It is.

HBO OLE has scheduled "Dr. Who" (the Telemovie, apparently, though the site
itself didn't say) to air 4 times this month, uncut and commercial free. I'm
assuming this is a Cable station ala HBO in the USA. It serves Mexico,
Central America, and Western South America. As of now, I don't know whether
it will air in English, English with Spanish subtitles, Spanish, or Spanish
with English subtitles.

Below are the scheduled broadcast times:

Tuesday February 16th:
Mexico Venezuela Argentina
9:59PM 11:59PM 12:59AM

Late Friday February 19th:
Mexico Venezuela Argentina
1AM 3AM 4AM

Early Tuesday February 23rd:
Mexico Venezuela Argentina
4:44AM 6:44AM 7:44AM

Saturday February 27th
Mexico Venezuela Argentina
5:15PM 7:15PM 8:15PM

Any additional information on these broadcasts would be appreciated. And if
anyone knows of other Doctor Who airings around the world, contact me or the
site where you see this. Let's get the word out so fandom can find Doctor
Who throughout the world!!!

Benjamin F. Elliott
This Week In Doctor Who

Benjamin F. Elliott

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
Well, I visited the HBO OLE http://www.hbo-ole.com/ website for additional
information. First, there are 2 OLE broadcast feeds. The broadcast times I
gave before were the times for the OESTE [West] feed (3 hours later then the
ESTE [East] feed). Some countries get one feed, and some get 2 feeds. They
are definitely airing the Telemovie, and even have a description of it (see
below). I still haven't determined what language the movie will air in.

The following countries have access to HBO OLE:
ESTE (East) Feed:
Argentina (home country of feed)
Barbados
Bolivia
Columbia
Chile
Panama
Paraguay
Mexico
Surinam
Uruguay
Venezuela

OESTE (West) Feed:
Argentina
Aruba
Barbados
Columbia
Costa Rica
Curaeao (?)
Ecuador
El Salvador
Guatemala
Honduras
Mexico (home country of feed)
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
Rep Dominicana (Dominican Republic)
Santa Lucia
Venezuela

Finally, here is the description of the movie, copied and reformatted from
HBO OLE's web site:

Ciencia-Ficción de Geoffrey Sax
DR. WHO
Un hombre extraño ha caído del cielo 30 de diciembre de 1999. Una cabina
telefónica ha caído del cielo durante un tiroteo. Un señor desconocido sale
de la cabina y recibe unos disparos. Minutos después, es llevado de
emergencia a un hospital y al ser asistido descubren que posee dos
corazones. Mientras tanto, el alma del hombre vaga por las calles en busca
de un cuerpo para concluir con su malévolo plan: destruir la Tierra.
DIRECCIÓN: Geoffrey Sax GUIÓN: Matthew Jacobs ELENCO: Paul Mc Gann, Eric
Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook, Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John Novak, Michael
David Simms.

I wonder what that means in English.

Marcus Durham

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
In article <79hc66$690$1...@clarknet.clark.net> Benjamin F. Elliott
<bfel...@jnpcs.com> shared the following with us in rec.arts.drwho:
[snip]

Bono Estente! Th Th th, smiky pinky Mistor Who de movie le televisiono!
Exclusiva CHANNEL 9!

Mistor Who a' arrivo a Americano 1999. Mistor Who meet sminky pinky
Grace. Scorchio! BONKO BONKO BONKO! Th th th, th th, Chris Waddle. Est
le Julia Roberts brothero! BONKO BONKO BONKO! Mistor Who est et le th th
hospital! Shocko! No de hero est Mistor Who, Colin Baker. Ohhhhhhh.

Est le weather with Paula.....

>I wonder what that means in English.

I was wondering myself.

--
Marcus Durham
The UMTSDW Homepage. News, reviews, locations and Bates.

Lahey

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99

"Benjamin F. Elliott" wrote:

(snip)

> Finally, here is the description of the movie, copied and reformatted > from HBO OLE's web site:
>
> Ciencia-Ficción de Geoffrey Sax
> DR. WHO
> Un hombre extraño ha caído del cielo 30 de diciembre de 1999. Una
> cabina telefónica ha caído del cielo durante un tiroteo. Un señor
> desconocido sale de la cabina y recibe unos disparos. Minutos después, > es llevado de emergencia a un hospital y al ser asistido descubren que > posee dos corazones. Mientras tanto, el alma del hombre vaga por las
> calles en busca de un cuerpo para concluir con su malévolo plan:
> destruir la Tierra.
> DIRECCIÓN: Geoffrey Sax GUIÓN: Matthew Jacobs ELENCO: Paul Mc Gann,
> Eric Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook, Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John
> Novak, Michael David Simms.
>

> I wonder what that means in English.

Well according to Babefish (
http://babelfish.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/translate? )
it says:

> Ciencia-Ficción de Geoffrey Sax Dr WHO a strange man has fallen of sky > 30 of December of 1999. A telephone cabin has fallen of the sky during > a shooting. A unknown gentleman leaves the cabin and receives firings. > Minutes later, it is taken from emergency to a hospital and to the
> attended being they discover that it has two hearts. Meanwhile, the
> core of the vague man by the streets in search of a body to conclude
> with its malevolent plan: to destroy the Earth. ADDRESS:
> Geoffrey Sax Script: Matthew Jacobs Elenco: Paul Mc Gann, Eric

> Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook, Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John Novak,
> Michael David Simms.

Of course this program is semi famous for being **way** to literal in
it's translations >;-). However, I'm sure one of the RADW regulars who
speaks Spanish will fill us in with a better translation before this
thread is through :-).

Meg L.

--

+++ _n_ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ ===== +

Christopher Krisocki

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Benjamin Elliot wrote:

> HBO OLE has scheduled "Dr. Who" (the
> Telemovie, apparently, though the site itself
> didn't say) to air 4 times this month, uncut and
> commercial free. I'm assuming this is a Cable
> station ala HBO in the USA. It serves Mexico,
> Central America, and Western South
> America. As of now, I don't know whether it
> will air in English, English with Spanish
> subtitles, Spanish, or Spanish with English
> subtitles.

Considering that the home video version of the McGann movie that's
available on the Mexican market is in English with subtitles, the odds
are it's the latter. Plus, having watched a movie or two on HBO OLE, I
can say that they tend to show movies with subtitles rather than ones
that are dubbed.
Shameless plug: More information about DW in Mexico may be found on
my website, including the translated titles for several Hartnell
episodes shown down there in 1967. :-)

Chrisk
www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/8808

Steve Roberts

Feb 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/7/99
Christopher Krisocki <chr...@webtv.net> wrote

> Shameless plug: More information about DW in Mexico may be found on
> my website, including the translated titles for several Hartnell
> episodes shown down there in 1967. :-)
>
> Chrisk
> www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/8808

... and if you put http:// in front of it, us poor Internet News users
could just clip the hyperlink that would be automatically provided by your
sig!

Steve

jbc...@erols.com

Feb 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/8/99
Lahey wrote:
> > Meanwhile, the
> > core of the vague man by the streets in search of a body to conclude

"The Core of the Vague Man"... I kinda like that... I call dibs as a
story title! :-)

Sean Corcoran
...trying to come up with a story to match the name
--
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/7476
Home to the Semi-Official "Infinity Doctors" Web Page

jfu...@my-dejanews.com

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99

"Benjamin F. Elliott" <bfel...@jnpcs.com> wrote:

> Finally, here is the description of the movie, copied and reformatted from
> HBO OLE's web site:
>
> Ciencia-Ficción de Geoffrey Sax
> DR. WHO
> Un hombre extraño ha caído del cielo 30 de diciembre de 1999. Una cabina
> telefónica ha caído del cielo durante un tiroteo. Un señor desconocido sale
> de la cabina y recibe unos disparos. Minutos después, es llevado de
> emergencia a un hospital y al ser asistido descubren que posee dos
> corazones. Mientras tanto, el alma del hombre vaga por las calles en busca
> de un cuerpo para concluir con su malévolo plan: destruir la Tierra.
> DIRECCIÓN: Geoffrey Sax GUIÓN: Matthew Jacobs ELENCO: Paul Mc Gann, Eric
> Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook, Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John Novak, Michael
> David Simms.

> I wonder what that means in English.

I'll take a stab, based on my high-school Spanish. Also, I gleaned what I
could from the other translation posted a couple days ago.

Science Fiction from Geoffrey Sax DR. WHO A strange man has fallen from the
sky, December 30th 1999. A telephone booth has fallen from the sky during a
shooting. An unknown(?) gentleman goes out of the booth and gets shot more
than once. Minutes later, he is taken in an emergency fashion to the
hospital, and while he is being assisted there, they discover that he
possesses two hearts. Meanwhile, the soul of the man wanders the streets in
search of a body, in order to complete its evil plan: to destroy the Earth.
DIRECTION(?): Geoffrey Sax WRITER(?): Matthew Jacobs ELENCO(I guess we can
assume it's "CAST" or some such): Paul McGann, Eric Roberts, Daphne Ashbrook,

Sylvester McCoy, Yee Jee Tso, John Novak, Michael David Simms

If I've translated this correctly, it seems they think the Master is the evil
soul of the Doctor!

Jim C. Fung
"I am the Dorktor." (8th Doctor, "Doctor Who")

Luke Curtis

Feb 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/17/99

of course us poor Agent users can click on that link without any
problem...
--
You`re bucket`s been kicked baby