Pertwee PAL Colour Questions

1 view

Gerard Peck

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
I'm curious to know, back in the seventies when BBC Enterprises were
first selling Pertwee episodes did any countries buy them in their
original PAL 625 format or did most of them purchase the black and white
films prints? Were there any Pertwee episodes sold overseas in the 625VT
that no longer exist in this format? I only ask because I remember
reading that Frontier In Space was returned to the BBC from the ABC
Australia in the 625 format which surprised me as I thought The Time
Warrior was the first colour Doctor Who story the ABC screened. Did the
ABC repurchase some of the older stories once they went into colour?
Could any further 625VT Pertwee episodes exist in archives somewhere
across the globe??

Thanks

Gerard.

Steve Roberts

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:25:17 +1100, Gerard Peck <al...@ozemail.com.au>
wrote:

>I'm curious to know, back in the seventies when BBC Enterprises were
>first selling Pertwee episodes did any countries buy them in their
>original PAL 625 format or did most of them purchase the black and white
>films prints? Were there any Pertwee episodes sold overseas in the 625VT
>that no longer exist in this format?

Yes, places like Dubai took 625 PAL colour material, as well as
Australia. 'Planet of the Daleks' was screened in colour in the
Middle East, so you never know...

Steve

*** Views expressed are my own and do not represent BBC policy
*** Visit the Doctor Who Restoration Team Website
*** http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/steveroberts/restorat.htm

Tim Roll-Pickering

Nov 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/24/99
Gerard Peck wrote:

> I'm curious to know, back in the seventies when BBC Enterprises were
> first selling Pertwee episodes did any countries buy them in their
> original PAL 625 format or did most of them purchase the black and white
> films prints? Were there any Pertwee episodes sold overseas in the 625VT

> that no longer exist in this format? I only ask because I remember
> reading that Frontier In Space was returned to the BBC from the ABC
> Australia in the 625 format which surprised me as I thought The Time
> Warrior was the first colour Doctor Who story the ABC screened. Did the
> ABC repurchase some of the older stories once they went into colour?
> Could any further 625VT Pertwee episodes exist in archives somewhere
> across the globe??

IIRC there was a whole bunch of 625 line Pertwee episodes returned from
Dubai in 1992 (or was it Kuwait in 1993?) but all of them already
existed in that format. The 625 line Death to the Daleks:1 was returned
from a private collector in 1992.
The Frontier in Space episodes (and possibly the Delaware version of
Carnival of Monsters:2) reportedly had stickers from all over the world
on their cases. I've read more than once that the two Delaware episodes
(Carnival 2 and Frontier 5) were both sold to Australia in that
format-was ABC following a policy of always buying colour copies once
the decision had been made to go to colour? It would certainly make it
easier to repeat their episodes after the switchover.
--
Remove NOSPAM from email address if present to reply by email.

militant-stork

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Tim Roll-Pickering <t...@ukc.ac.uk> wrote in message

> IIRC there was a whole bunch of 625 line Pertwee episodes returned from

> Dubai in 1992. The 625 line Death to the Daleks:1 was returned

> from a private collector in 1992.

Actually, the truth can now come out. The Death to the Daleks episode was
amongst the batch of tapes returned from Dubai, as well as the last three
episodes of 'Planet...'. The tape would have been chucked because there was
already a PAL version in the library, albeit cut. I arranged to have it sent
to Pebble Mill, then archived to D3. I gave the two inch tape to Richard
Molesworth as it was falling to bits. He uses it as a doorstop. It is
actually the only complete and best quality version and will be used for the
repeats.

> The Frontier in Space episodes (and possibly the Delaware version of
> Carnival of Monsters:2) reportedly had stickers from all over the world
> on their cases. I've read more than once that the two Delaware episodes
> (Carnival 2 and Frontier 5) were both sold to Australia in that
> format-was ABC following a policy of always buying colour copies once
> the decision had been made to go to colour?

Although there is a Delaware version of Frontier 5, it was not sold to
Australia and has always remained in the library. It's also about a minute
longer than the TX. Episode 4, which did come back from Australia survives
as the original TX tape but also as the aussie version and may be longer by
as much as 50 seconds. I don't know if it will have the Delaware music on
but when we get that far in the repeats I'll check.

Paul Vanezis

Lee

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
> Although there is a Delaware version of Frontier 5, it was not sold to
> Australia and has always remained in the library. It's also about a minute
> longer than the TX. Episode 4, which did come back from Australia survives
> as the original TX tape but also as the aussie version and may be longer
by
> as much as 50 seconds. I don't know if it will have the Delaware music on
> but when we get that far in the repeats I'll check.

It doesnt have that awful racket on....its got the proper them tune on.
Although I havent figured out what is extra yet.

Lee

Steve Roberts

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 00:50:58 -0000, "militant-stork"
<pa...@militant-stork.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Actually, the truth can now come out. The Death to the Daleks episode was
>amongst the batch of tapes returned from Dubai, as well as the last three
>episodes of 'Planet...'.

Oh good, we can stop lying our asses off now, can we? : )

What's brought about this sudden change then?

Remember to keep quiet about all the rest though...

Paul E. Curtis

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

And then, Steve Roberts <steve....@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> "militant-stork" <pa...@militant-stork.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >Actually, the truth can now come out. The Death to the Daleks
> >episode was amongst the batch of tapes returned from Dubai, as
> >well as the last three episodes of 'Planet...'.
>
> Oh good, we can stop lying our asses off now, can we? : )
>
> What's brought about this sudden change then?
>
> Remember to keep quiet about all the rest though...

You fellows wouldn't be winding us up, now, would you?

I mean, you should know by now that when you say things like this, you're
just bound to set our feverish fanboy imaginations a-reeling!

--Paul Curtis
(Let me guess...you found an Arabic-language copy of "Timelash," right?)

Steve Roberts

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
On Thu, 25 Nov 1999 04:23:02 -0800, "Paul E. Curtis"
<pecu...@teleport.com> wrote:

>You fellows wouldn't be winding us up, now, would you?

No, but that's a prime example of the way DW fans jump to conclusions!

militant-stork

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99

Steve Roberts <steve....@bbc.co.uk> wrote in message

> Oh good, we can stop lying our asses off now, can we? : )
>
> What's brought about this sudden change then?

Life's too short; and besides, all the people whose toes were trodden on
have left the BBC, so there's no-one left to offend.

> Remember to keep quiet about all the rest though...

Yeah, yeah....I know.

Paul

Paul E. Curtis

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Steve Roberts <steve....@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> "Paul E. Curtis" <pecu...@teleport.com> wrote:
>
> >You fellows wouldn't be winding us up, now, would you?
>
> No, but that's a prime example of the way DW fans jump
> to conclusions!

Well, that was sort of my point! Like I said, we tend to have rather
feverish imaginations... (And of course, I am not immune.) Remember a few
months ago, when you were abroad for a few days, and everybody began to
(half-seriously) speculate whether you were actually tracking down missing
episodes?

--Paul Curtis

Steve Roberts

Nov 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/25/99
Paul E. Curtis <pecu...@teleport.com> wrote

> Remember a few

> months ago, when you were abroad for a few days, and everybody began to
> (half-seriously) speculate whether you were actually tracking down
missing
> episodes?

Yes. Sad, wasn't it?

Steve