Any good movies?

j.ca...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2005, 7:12:03 PM6/4/05
It's been raining nonstop and I'm too sick to go exercise, so I was
hoping someone could tell me about a good dance genre film to go and
rent? I really liked The Company which is pretty new but older movies
are fine too. Any other ballet movies out there? I absolutely LOVE the
behind the scenes story of practice and performance. Gives me shivers
from my performing days!

i'm not a big movie nut so I'm sure there's lots of titles out there
i've never heard of

j.ca...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2005, 7:16:02 PM6/4/05
oh by the way I heard about a hilarious movie, "Breakin 2 Electric
Boogaloo" but that one is purely for the ridiculous 80s breakdancing!
Still it sounds like quite something.

So that's comedy I guess, I was hoping to find something more serious
like the young dancer making it through ballet school

Paul-Andre Panon

Jun 4, 2005, 8:57:53 PM6/4/05
Hmm. Perhaps you could try The Turning Point(1977)? I have yet to see it
and it seems to be a bit of a love-it-or-hate-it sort of movie. However,
from the viewer reviews, it might help clear up your sinuses one way or
the other. http://imdb.com/title/tt0076843

P-A

JeffM

Jun 5, 2005, 2:09:03 PM6/5/05
>I was hoping someone could tell me about a good dance genre film
> j.carsey @ gmail.com

Start here:
http://www.google.com/search?q=The-Red-Shoes+A-Chorus-Line+The-Turning-Point+Billy-Elliot+Flashdance
Modify the search string as you see fit.

Don't forget:

White Christmas
--The reason people say "choreography"
http://m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?va=choreography (1)*
when they really mean "terpsichore"
http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=terpsichore (2).

All That Jazz

Just for me--mustn't omit sexy Cyd:
Silk Stockings
http://www.google.com/images?q=Silk-Stockings+Cyd-Charisse+silk01.gif&filter=0

* and the reason that dictionaries currently go beyond Definition 1.

j.ca...@gmail.com

Jun 5, 2005, 5:49:28 PM6/5/05
Thanks for the replies! Also found a nice listing at this site
http://www.dancersdreamland.com/movie_main.htm

Got no problem with sexy either. Wow they just don't make movies like
they used to, do they?

JeffM

Jun 5, 2005, 6:59:35 PM6/5/05
j.carsey @ gmail.com wrote [without context*]:

>Thanks for the replies! Also found a nice listing at this site
>http://www.dancersdreamland.com/movie_main.htm

Good content there (if you take the site as a whole;
any single page will be highly variable because it is so inclusive)
--but that pink-text-on-black-background thing is hard on these aging
eyes.

Paul-Andre already pointed at the Internet Movie DataBase
http://imdb.com
for depth after you have found a title.
.
.
::Just for me--mustn't omit sexy Cyd:
::http://www.google.com/images?q=Silk-Stockings+Cyd-Charisse+silk01.gif
::Silk Stockings
:: JeffM
::

>Got no problem with sexy either.
>Wow they just don't make movies like they used to, do they?

Not ones with music or dancing at their cores.
.
.
*I notice that you're new to Usenet.
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?enc_author=5QMZ8RIAAACXxdAjb0U3JmDvC0nw-xBS8rhlH0Pnl47z4AZhN98BFg&filter=0
FYI, Google Groups is not Usenet;
it is but one way of accessing Usenet.

Most folks use a "newsreader" to read the groups.
That means that they don't see what you see on Google.

See how I went back and added a bit of the previous post to this post?
That is called **context**.
To get context the easy way:
(hint: Don't click the Reply link that is in plain sight),
click the **show options** link then click THAT Reply link.

You don't have to re-post **everything** from the previous post;
feel free to snip out as much from the automated blockquote
as you wish.
I only leave enough to show what part I'm referencing ("context").
See above.

Note: I read from Google Groups
and I do a search on my name to find replies to my posts.
If you don't leave my name in your reply,
I may not notice that you have responded.

Read some threads and observe how others post, then do likewise.
.
.
Rich Grise (pointedly) remarks on context here:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/sci.electronics.design/browse_frm/thread/3e13158594651a47/1569906f59f22fb6?q=include-context-when-you-post-from-google-groups+are-universally-hated

The guidelines for Usenet are here:
http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8PaSp2kKbWoJ:www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html+just-enough+at-*-top-*-*-message+do-not-*-*-*-original
(Worth scanning--especially the parts I've highlighted.)