Scooby Doo Question --- PLEASE HELP!

Colonel Mustard

Jul 27, 1994, 6:07:43 PM7/27/94
R.J.Jo...@newcastle.ac.uk (Rich Johnston) writes:

>And did Shaggy ever buy razor blades?

ARE YOU KIDDING!?!?! Shaggy INVENTEd the Seattle/Grunge scene man. ZOINKS!
How could you be so silly! :)

Dave
--
"Ty Cobb wanted to play, too, but none of us could stand the son of a bitch
when we was alive, so we told him to stick it!" -Shoeless Joe, Field of

Rich Johnston

Jul 27, 1994, 2:02:26 PM7/27/94
Okay Mark, so you didn't create Scrappy Doo.

You only "introduced" him.

Guilt by association, and you are the only one on hand.

I now decalre a fatwa on Mark Evanier for introducing a character who
changed Scooby Doo fro a predictable, fun cartoon show that shaped
the young minds of a generation, to a cartoon that was irritating
beyond belief. Scrappy Doo should have been scrapped from conception.
Expansion wasn't necessary. Sigh.

Anyway.

What exactly were Fred and Daphne up to every time Scooby, Shaggy and
Velma went off in another direction?

And what were Scooby snacks? From all evidence they seem to be
concentrated speed.

And did Shaggy ever buy razor blades?

And why was the first person seen in Scooby Doo aprt from the regular
cast the baddie? "If it wasn't for those pesky kids." If I was Fred,
I'd shoot everyone I saw, thus eliminating the obvious suspects.

Rich Johnston- r.j.jo...@ncl.ac.uk
National Student Cartoonist of the Year 1994.
Dirtbag #1 looks like its been funded! Happy Happy Joy Joy!

Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.

Jul 27, 1994, 2:23:25 PM7/27/94
In article <MAILQUEUE-101.940727190141.288@TOWN2> R.J.Jo...@newcastle.ac.uk (Rich Johnston) writes:

>And why was the first person seen in Scooby Doo aprt from the regular
>cast the baddie? "If it wasn't for those pesky kids." If I was Fred,
>I'd shoot everyone I saw, thus eliminating the obvious suspects.

Harm one hair on Daphne and you're dead.

--
Virgilio "Dean" Velasco Jr, Department of Electrical Eng'g and Applied Physics
graduate student slave, roboticist-in-training and Q wannabee

Lance Squiddie Smith

Jul 28, 1994, 2:50:03 AM7/28/94
In article <MAILQUEUE-101.940727190141.288@TOWN2> R.J.Jo...@newcastle.ac.uk (Rich Johnston) writes:

>Anyway.
>
>What exactly were Fred and Daphne up to every time Scooby, Shaggy and
>Velma went off in another direction?

Nothing. It's Daphne and Velma I wonder about. (See the picture that
served as a model for Velma in some back issue of Wild Cartoon Kingdom.)

>And what were Scooby snacks? From all evidence they seem to be
>concentrated speed.

Just food. It was a Pavlovian thing. You don't want to know what Scooby
went through before the kids rescued him from the Doctor Korsikov's
animal research laboratory at the University.

As to why they had the same effect on Shaggy is a different matter. Shaggy
was constantly high. (He talked to his dog after all.) Any food would have
had the same effect on him. The rest of the kids just convinced him that
there was something special to the Scooby snacks. They were really just
run of the mill dog biscuits.

>And did Shaggy ever buy razor blades?

Um, it wouldn't have been a good idea to give Shaggy anything sharp like
razor blades.

>And why was the first person seen in Scooby Doo aprt from the regular
>cast the baddie? "If it wasn't for those pesky kids." If I was Fred,
>I'd shoot everyone I saw, thus eliminating the obvious suspects.

Wasn't it "those meddling kids"? (Or the time they were in Scotland,
"those meddling lads and lassies.")

Personally, if I were Shaggy I would have shot Fred. As far as I can
tell, it was Fred's idea to constantly be driving the Mystery Machine
into ghost towns, deserted amusement parks, and fog shrouded fishing
villages. Without Fred constantly putting Shaggy and Scooby's lives in
danger, Shaggy could have been home listening to Pink Floyd on the
headphones and eating chocolate marshmallow pizzas.

So does anyone know what happened to Fred when they tossed him from
the show and did the series with just Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby? I'm
guessing a career as a male model.

=============================
Lance "Cr2O3.2H2O" Smith | "Portrait of a frightened peanut. A peanut who
(lsm...@cs.umn.edu) | somehow has lost his way and is now being hunted
I believe in howling | by a faceless enemy. For Mr Peanut has taken a
at the moon | wrong turn into..." _The Snack Food Zone_

Mark Evanier

Jul 28, 1994, 5:18:04 AM7/28/94
I think, if you watch them in chronological order -- and no Scooby-Doo
fan should watch out of sequence -- you'll find that the first season
that Scrappy-Doo was in (the only one I had anything to do with) was very
much in the Scooby tradition.

What basically had happened was that All Concerned (ABC, Hanna-Barbera)
agreed that Scooby's show had gotten stale...but it was still doing too
well to cancel. So, starting that year, each season would commence with
a meeting where someone said something like, "Well, how do we make it
different this year?" Perhaps that even started a year or two BEFORE
Scrappy came along. But it had gotten to the point where a writer would
come in and tick off a list of twenty ideas for Scooby scripts and the
Story Editor would sit there and say, "We did that one, we did that one,
etc.." So Scrappy was a way of generating some new business, new stories.
I wasn't wild about the character but he kept the show alive for a while.
(I realize I am giving you a serious answer to a silly question but that;s
the mood I'm in tonight...)

By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?
As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

Tom Galloway

Jul 28, 1994, 8:56:29 AM7/28/94
In article <puwTbe8.m...@delphi.com>,

Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> wrote:
>By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?

The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Mappings are Dobie -> Fred, Maynard G.
Krebs (as played by Bob "Gilligan" Denver) -> Shaggy, Thalia -> Daphne,
Zelda -> Thelma, Thinker statue -> Scooby :-).

"Okay folks, here's your first question...What doesRING!" "SEX!"
"Beg pardon?" "SEX! SEX is the answer! SEX!SEX!SEX!"
"No, I'm afraid that's incorrect."
"Okay, the Magna Carta, then." --Cowboy Wally's Trivia Lotto

Dave Jeitner

Jul 28, 1994, 10:29:33 PM7/28/94

OK, here's what could be a big SPOILER, so I don't want you to read any
further if you don't want to know how Zero Hour ends.

SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!! SPOILER ALERT!!

I mean it! SPOILER ALERT!

OK.

A source at DC (an unnamed colorist) told me that the big bad villain at the
end of Zero Hour is Hal Jordan. Apparently, the bad guys right now (#2)
aren't really all that bad, and HJ is the big bad baddie at the end.

Now, for obvious reasons, I can't name this guy, and I can't divulge how he
knows the end, either, since if someone at DC read this, he could get in
big-time trouble.

I seriously doubt he was just trying to throw me a curveball, but it's
possible, so don't be angry if this turns out to be garbage.

Just trying to fuel some more whining about Hal Jordan,
DJ

(By the way, be VERY careful about your headers if you follow up to this!)

--
Dave Jeitner so...@ellis.uchicago.edu
* Editor's Note: Just as a shell will skip over the waves if thrown fast

Philip Wang

Jul 29, 1994, 1:09:19 AM7/29/94

Can someone tell me about Hal Jordan?
I never got a chance to pick up any of his comics series, but now that I have
a chance I don't even know where to start, and I used to see him on cartoons
when I was growing up - he was among my favourite of the DC characters with
Batman and Wonder Woman, and now I hear that he went nuts and killed everyone
in the Green Lantern Corps and all that?

I'm still getting over Diana's mother announcing that they're trying to get a
new Wonder Woman.

Also I was thinking of getting into Hawkman or Hawkworld or whatever it is.
Which series is recommended?

"Tonight we go to see the Heavy Metal Hamsters
It must feel nice to be a Heavy Metal Hamster
Nothing sets you free like our Heavy Metal Hamsters"

Mark Evanier

Jul 29, 1994, 1:15:50 AM7/29/94
Tom Galloway <t...@quip.eecs.umich.edu> writes:

>The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Mappings are Dobie -> Fred, Maynard G.
>Krebs (as played by Bob "Gilligan" Denver) -> Shaggy, Thalia -> Daphne,
>Zelda -> Thelma, Thinker statue -> Scooby :-).

We have a winner!

Bob Citkowski

Jul 29, 1994, 12:11:35 PM7/29/94
In article 35...@midway.uchicago.edu, so...@quads.uchicago.edu (Dave Jeitner) writes:

>OK, here's what could be a big SPOILER, so I don't want you to read any
>further if you don't want to know how Zero Hour ends.
>
>Now, for obvious reasons, I can't name this guy, and I can't divulge how he
>knows the end, either, since if someone at DC read this, he could get in
>big-time trouble.
>
>I seriously doubt he was just trying to throw me a curveball, but it's
>possible, so don't be angry if this turns out to be garbage.
>

>(By the way, be VERY careful about your headers if you follow up to this!)

oh sure.... tell us not to tell anyone about this RUMOR cause it's secret
and if dc found out..... and then you post this here and tell US to be careful.
you related to that HIGH user from last year?

Mean Mister Mustard

Jul 29, 1994, 2:28:32 PM7/29/94
In article <31bgs8$j...@controversy.math.lsa.umich.edu>,
Doug Shaw <dos...@math.lsa.umich.edu> wrote:

>In article <puwTbe8.m...@delphi.com>, Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> writes:
>|> By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?
>|> As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
>|> CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
>|> started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
>|> on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
>|> was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?
>

>A Clockwork Orange.

BWAH-HA-HA!

"Me and my droogies, Freddie, Velma, and Dim were eating Scooby Snacks
with Vellocet at the Kolovo Milk Bar..."

And of course, all those old guys dressing up as monsters are based on
Frank, the wheelchair-bound writer.

Marc

"The Mystery Machine was purring along real horrorshow..."

Louis J. Kawalek Jr.

Jul 29, 1994, 1:18:13 PM7/29/94
In article <31b9nn...@scarecrow.mke.ab.com>, tar...@atd.mke.ab.com (Bob
Citkowski) wrote:

I think you may have missed the point of the statement. I don't think
that the "be careful" warning was to not let out the secret because it was
a secret, but more to not let it out to people who don't WANT to know it.
In other words, don't SPOIL the story for people who want to be surprised.

As for his relationship with the high brothers, I hope not. I HAVE
dealt with Dave before, and he seems pretty honest. In addition, he was a
pretty heavy poster a while ago, and he seemed pretty reliable. I guess a
lot of people feel that if you can't NAME your source, keep it to yourself.
I don't know, I can understand his reluctance. Thing that makes this
different from the HIGH fiasco is that they were a CONTINUAL source of
seemingly contrived information. I don't get upset with one post like this
every now and then. MANY posts kinda' make me suspicious if they fall in a
short amount of time. Hell, to be honest, there are times I don't even
remember if I heard something here, in a Wizard, or what? In that case, I
state this in the message, and usually ask for people to help verify the
information. This happened recently on r.a.c.misc with the Spider-Clone
scenario. As it turns out, I had read it in Wizard.

My point(I know I ramble) is that we now start jumping on everyone as
soon as the say anything, unless they can "PROVE" it. That's the shame of
situations like last summer...a few bad apples make everyone suspicious,
and hurt well-meaning posters credibility.

--
*********************************
* Louis J. Kawalek Jr. *

J C Kirk

Jul 29, 1994, 3:38:42 PM7/29/94
Has anyone seen that new series "A pup named Scooby Doo"? It's actually
fairly good, although it changes the characters a bit. I was well
impressed by the first episode, which centred around a comics
convention. The idea was that Shaggy (just a kid then), went along to
buy an issue of Suicide Squid #1 (I forget the title!), and there were
only 3 of these left in existence. The woman who sold it to him owned
one too. Meanwhile, there was the really nasty piece of work in the next
stall, who said that he hated comics, and was only in it for the money,
and that this woman shouldn't be letting her profits go down the plug by
letting him have it so cheap. Remind you of anyone you know? :-)

Anyway, Shaggy then went off to get this thing signed by the
artist/author, who owned the only other copy. Later, the monster from
the comic appears, and grabs Shaggy's comic, saying he hates the hero of
the story. Hmm. After that, the kids see the evil comic seller sneaking
off to his car, carrying some comics. Why does he do this if he hates
them??? Later again, the monster strikes, and nicks the woman's copy.
The kids trap it by saying they've found another first edition. It turns
out to be the artist, who wanted to increase the value of his copy, which
would be the only one left. I thought that was quite a sophisticated
plot, compared to some of the normal stuff. It turned out that the
"evil" guy was really a fan, but was too embarrassed to admit it. The
moral: Comics are for grown ups!

Anyway, enough of my ramblings,

John

--
******** | "He's very English. If he goes over the edge, the
********* ********** | worst outward sign will probably be that his

e-mail : J.C....@durham.ac.uk

SUREFIRE SIGNS THAT STAR TREK IS TAKING OVER YOUR LIFE:
17. "The Outrageous Okona" seems like a fine piece of writing and
dramatic stylistics

The Fatman

Jul 30, 1994, 1:01:51 AM7/30/94
Mark Evanier (marke...@delphi.com) wrote:

Let me cultural ignorance and age and say the immortal words..

"Who?"

Doug Shaw

Jul 29, 1994, 2:10:42 PM7/29/94

Remember back before they "sanitized" Shaggy? He was the only guy
who could really understand it when Scooby talked. If Scooby and
Shaggy did something good, Scooby got a Scooby Snack. If they did
something REALLY good, Shaggy got a Shaggy Snack. Tell me he didn't
do drugs.

Doug (A long time Shaggy fan)

"Hey, Scoob, no way are we going to risk our lives exploring the bedrooms
for ghosts. Let's just hide down here in this creepy old cellar"

Doug Shaw

Jul 29, 1994, 2:13:28 PM7/29/94

In article <puwTbe8.m...@delphi.com>, Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> writes:
|> By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?
|> As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
|> CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
|> started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
|> on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
|> was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

A Clockwork Orange.

Doug

"Hey, Scooob, let's not risk our lives going upstairs to viddie ghosts
doing the old in out in out. Let's just hide from our droogies

Omega Man #1 @15036

Jul 28, 1994, 9:50:27 PM7/28/94
R 34 07/29 00:15 WWIVGATE 15036->15001
R: net33: @15036 [21:53 07/28/94]
RE: Re: Scooby Doo Question --- PLEASE HELP!
BY: Mark Evanier <markevanier#delphi.com> #428 @520

>As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
>CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
>started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
>on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
>was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

...Well, outside of the often-rehashed tale about the show's natural reference
to the 60's "Mods vs Rockers" fad conflict, the show was based on "Dobie
Gillis", obviously.

Fred = Dobie
Daphne = That one gal with the weird name whose weird name escapes me.
Shaggy = Maynard G. Krebs
Velma = Zelda

Then again, what would you expect from a show that allowed Andy Gibb to perform
on the musical segments...

OM

512-459-1088 KLINGON EMPIRE BBS WWIVNet @5282
Up Since 11/1/86The Home of WWIVNews24hrs 2400-9600Bd
Second star on the right, and straight on until thursday...

david serchay

Jul 29, 1994, 9:50:28 PM7/29/94
Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> writes:

> By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?
> As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
> CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
> started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
> on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
> was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

Well, since the original story had just the kids, I'll assume it was
based on Dobie Gillis. Fred = Dobie, Shaggy = Maynerd, Thelma = Zelda,
and Daphnie = the girl that Dobie had a thing for who's name I cant
remember.

So am I right?

Dascoser

David J Oakes

Aug 1, 1994, 10:33:53 PM8/1/94
considering that i have seen at least every episode (of both, dg and early
sd at least twice - gotta love cable!) you would think i would have
remembered that.

at least it was tyg who got there first.

with that little bit of trivia out of the way, and with a scooby "creator"
on the list to boot, perhaps someone could help me with another question
that has been bothering for about a year now (school was slow):

what the heck are the full names of the gang (sd - i can actually give the
full names of the dg gang...)?

i recall that fred was called "little freddie jones" in "a pup named
scooby doo", and that shaggy had the family name "shagsworthy" from the
merlin episode, but what about the rest?

dave "if you must know, it is for a TORG game..." oakes

The Napoleon of Crime

Aug 1, 1994, 11:53:23 PM8/1/94
In <puwTbe8.m...@delphi.com> Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> writes:

>By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?
>As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
>CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
>started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
>on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
>was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

COMBAT!

Either that, or the Huntley/Brinkley Report.

"*Always* get a contract when working with a dark,
omnipotent power."

-- MST3K
----
Jeff Meyer
INTERNET: mori...@tc.fluke.COM
Manual UUCP: {uunet, uw-beaver, sun, microsoft}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO: You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...
**>> Keep circulating the tapes <<**

The Napoleon of Crime

Aug 1, 1994, 11:57:20 PM8/1/94
In <Ctn1K...@news.cis.umn.edu> lsm...@myria.cs.umn.edu (Lance "Squiddie" Smith) writes:

>So does anyone know what happened to Fred when they tossed him from
>the show and did the series with just Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby? I'm
>guessing a career as a male model.

My hypothesis is that he eventually metamorphized into James Spader, but I
have no emperical proof.

"The last time somebody said, `I find I can write
much better with a word processor.', I replied,
`They used to say the same thing about drugs.'"
-- Roy Blount, Jr.

Mark Evanier

Aug 2, 1994, 4:03:12 AM8/2/94
Boy, I used to know all these...

Freddie was Jones...Shaggy was Rogers...Daphne was...uh...

I only wrote the comic book for six years.

The Fatman

Aug 2, 1994, 9:06:26 AM8/2/94
Mark Evanier (marke...@delphi.com) wrote:
: Boy, I used to know all these...

:
: Freddie was Jones...Shaggy was Rogers...Daphne was...uh...
:
: I only wrote the comic book for six years.

Excuses, excuses...

Andrew Salmond

Aug 2, 1994, 7:13:28 PM8/2/94
In article <Ctn1K...@news.cis.umn.edu>,

Lance "Squiddie" Smith <lsm...@myria.cs.umn.edu> wrote:

>So does anyone know what happened to Fred when they tossed him from
>the show and did the series with just Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby? I'm
>guessing a career as a male model.

Maybe he ran off with Josie (of "Pussycats" fame)....

Believe it or not he actually showed up again in a later episode as the bad
guy. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he was desperate
for money or something.

Andrew S.
# And it is such a sad old feeling, #
# All the fields are soft and green. #
# And it's memories that I'm stealing, #
# But you're innocent when you dream. -Tom Waits #

Douglas Pratt

Aug 2, 1994, 10:12:59 PM8/2/94
Mark Evanier (marke...@delphi.com) wrote:
:
: By the way, does anyone know what TV show SCOOBY was originally based on?

: As you all know, THE FLINTSTONES was inspired by THE HONEYMOONERS, TOP
: CAT by SGT. BILKO and THE JETSONS by the BLONDIE TV show. SCOOBY-DOO
: started life as a variation on another TV show but, by the time it got
: on the air, the format had changed so much that the live-action source
: was not too recognizable. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to what it was?

At the moment I'm not up to venturing a guess on the precedent that gave
us SCOOBY-DOO, because I'm stunned -- stunned, I tell you! -- by the
source of inspiration for THE JETSONS that you cite. All these years I
figured it must have been based on MAKE ROOM FOR DADDY.

OK, I'll take a guess on SCOOBY-DOO now. Something with Bob Denver
wearing a goatee, perhaps? THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS. Or will you
send me running to a therapist by revealing the shocking truth that it was
actually patterned after THE GALE STORM SHOW? ;-)

- Dog Rat

Douglas Pratt

Aug 2, 1994, 10:22:31 PM8/2/94
Douglas Pratt (dog...@max.tiac.net) wrote:

: OK, I'll take a guess on SCOOBY-DOO now. Something with Bob Denver

: wearing a goatee, perhaps? THE MANY LOVES OF DOBIE GILLIS. Or will you
: send me running to a therapist by revealing the shocking truth that it was
: actually patterned after THE GALE STORM SHOW? ;-)

Sheesh. I shoulda looked at the other postings before sending my own --
who *didn't* figure this out?

- Dog Rat

Kevin Meehan

Aug 2, 1994, 10:19:39 PM8/2/94
Mark Evanier (marke...@delphi.com) wrote:
: Boy, I used to know all these...

:
: Freddie was Jones...Shaggy was Rogers...Daphne was...uh...
:
: I only wrote the comic book for six years.

I've had one or two six year periods like that myself.

"Nil desperandum" Kevin Meehan
Horace ke...@acy1.digex.net

Virgilio (Dean) B. Velasco Jr.

Aug 3, 1994, 1:19:24 AM8/3/94
In article <xM7zT7g.m...@delphi.com> Mark Evanier <marke...@delphi.com> writes:
>Boy, I used to know all these...
>
>Freddie was Jones...Shaggy was Rogers...Daphne was...uh...

Hot?

michael kelly

Aug 3, 1994, 11:00:11 AM8/3/94

Little does everyone realize that Andrew Lloyd Weber based his famous
musical _Evita_ on Scooby Doo. The mappings are Shaggy -> Juan Peron,
Scooby -> Eva Duarte, and Scrappy -> Che Guevera.

This should give new light to the songs "Another Scooby snack in
another hall" and "Don't cry for me Fred and Daphne."

--
+ Mike Kelly, Notre Dame Department of Physics mke...@doc.helios.nd.edu +
+ +

Tom Galloway

Aug 3, 1994, 12:31:53 PM8/3/94
In article <31mjuo$h...@st-james.comp.vuw.ac.nz>,

Andrew Salmond <str...@mu.sans.vuw.ac.nz> wrote:
>In article <Ctn1K...@news.cis.umn.edu>,
>Lance "Squiddie" Smith <lsm...@myria.cs.umn.edu> wrote:
>>So does anyone know what happened to Fred when they tossed him from
>Maybe he ran off with Josie (of "Pussycats" fame)....

Well, Josie's appeared in the Marvel Universe as an OB/Gyn with a practice
in Leonia, NK (Vision and Scarlet Witch 12 issue series), but she also appeared
on stage in Riverdale with the Pussycats in the Archie/Punisher crossover.
Maybe she moonlights on weekends? No sign of Fred there though, but he and
Daphne did appear in a Kurt Busiek written JLA right around Crisis as
scientists.

"I am the *Tick*. Your brother has not done justice to your beauty with his
words. You are the spitting image of Thelma from Scooby Doo."
"Uh..." --Tick
tyg t...@hq.ileaf.com

Omega Man #1 @15036

Aug 2, 1994, 7:45:21 PM8/2/94
R 34 08/02 21:04 WWIVGATE 15036->15001
R: net33: @15036 [21:02 08/02/94]

RE: Re: Scooby Doo Question --- PLEASE HELP!
BY: marcs#wam.umd.edu (Mean Mister Mustard) #96 @520

>In article <31bgs8$j...@controversy.math.lsa.umich.edu>,
>Doug Shaw <dos...@math.lsa.umich.edu> wrote:
>>

>>In article <puwTbe8.m...@delphi.com>, Mark Evanier <markevanier@delphi

>>A Clockwork Orange.

...well, that was my -second- guess. My other guesses, however, were:

Easy Rider
Butterflies are Free
The Graduate
True Grit
The Sergeant
Lady in a Cage
Casino Royale
The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean
Klute
Seven Days in May

>BWAH-HA-HA!

...Then again, "Alphaville" might have been closer to the mark.

>"Me and my droogies, Freddie, Velma, and Dim were eating Scooby Snacks
>with Vellocet at the Kolovo Milk Bar..."

...before or after a little of the "ultra-violence"?

"Oh there we were, my loyal friends and confidants! My droogies and I had come
across that pack of protroodniks, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kidniks, doing
the old in'n'out on some yummy little blonde debuchka in a pussycat costume..."

[cut to: scene of Mystery Machine running Archie & Old Betsy off into a ditch]

>And of course, all those old guys dressing up as monsters are based on
>Frank, the wheelchair-bound writer.

...which leaves Daphne as the redhead who's raped during the first "Home"
sequence. However, instead of dying of shame and a broken heart, she becomes
traumatized by the experience, and takes on a "do unto others before they do
unto you" attitude. Hence she joins the gang and starts solving mysteries so
she'll not be in a position like that again.

>"The Mystery Machine was purring along real horrorshow..."

...and at the end of the film, we have Shaggy in the hospital room. They're
wheeling in Barry Manilow and Debbie Boone.

"I was -cured- allright...!"

OM

512-459-1088 KLINGON EMPIRE BBS WWIVNet @5282
Up Since 11/1/86The Home of WWIVNews24hrs 2400-9600Bd

"Smile for me Mah-jeek!"

Omega Man #1 @15036

Jul 31, 1994, 5:05:53 PM7/31/94
R 34 07/31 17:41 WWIVGATE 15036->15001
R: net33: @15036 [17:31 07/31/94]

RE: Re: Scooby Doo Question --- PLEASE HELP!
BY: imran#clark.net (The Fatman) #3483 @520

>Mark Evanier (marke...@delphi.com) wrote:

>: Tom Galloway <t...@quip.eecs.umich.edu> writes:
>:
>: >The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis. Mappings are Dobie -> Fred, Maynard G.
>: >Krebs (as played by Bob "Gilligan" Denver) -> Shaggy, Thalia -> Daphne,
>: >Zelda -> Thelma, Thinker statue -> Scooby :-).
>:
>: We have a winner!

...I believe if you'll check transmission dates, mine was posted first.

OM

512-459-1088 KLINGON EMPIRE BBS WWIVNet @5282
Up Since 11/1/86The Home of WWIVNews24hrs 2400-9600Bd

Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your ears! <SLICE> Not literally...

Robert Fernandez (ENG)

Aug 4, 1994, 11:25:43 PM8/4/94
In article <31mjuo$h...@st-james.comp.vuw.ac.nz> str...@mu.sans.vuw.ac.nz (Andrew Salmond) writes:
>Believe it or not he actually showed up again in a later episode as the bad
>guy. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he was desperate
>for money or something.

Wow. Fred gone bad! What a thought.

"If I am the Devil's child, Robert Fernandez
I will live then from the Devil." rfer...@chuma.cas.usf.edu
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson University of South Florida

BruceG6069

Aug 6, 1994, 9:59:02 AM8/6/94
(Andrew Salmond) writes:
>Believe it or not he actually showed up again in a later episode as the
bad
>guy. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he was
desperate
>for money or something.
You might be thinking of the episode where a villian the gang sent to
prison {the Screeming Skull} returns and tries to frame Fred for attemps
on Scobby Doo's life. In this epidode Fred had money problems but was a
Red Herring.

Shaun Hayes

Aug 8, 1994, 3:03:29 PM8/8/94
As Robert Fernandez (ENG) (rfer...@chuma.ec.usf.edu.) put it:

:>In article <31mjuo$h...@st-james.comp.vuw.ac.nz> str...@mu.sans.vuw.ac.nz (Andrew Salmond) writes:
:>>Believe it or not he actually showed up again in a later episode as the bad
:>>guy. I can't remember the exact circumstances, but I think he was desperate
:>>for money or something.

:>Wow. Fred gone bad! What a thought.

He would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those darned kids.

--
-----
\ = /--- "This champagne is FROZEN!"

David Goldfarb

Aug 9, 1994, 3:59:00 AM8/9/94
)>:
)>: >The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis.
)>:
)>: We have a winner!
)

Well, check out these headers from here at agate.berkeley.edu:

From: 1-1...@wwivgate.ksub.icus.com (Omega Man #1 @15036)
Subject: Re: Scooby Doo Question --- PLEASE HELP!
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 94 01:50:27 GMT

From: t...@quip.eecs.umich.edu (Tom Galloway)
Date: 28 Jul 1994 12:56:29 GMT

Also, your gateway seems to send stuff through only every few
days; thus, you may be posting continuously, but here at least we see
them come through in bursts. So Tom's post got here something like
three days before yours. (In fact, I saw Mark Evanier's reply that
you quoted at least a day before I saw your answer.)

David Goldfarb |"Special agents have been employed to slow the
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | film down and grind it to a screeching halt."
gold...@UCBOCF.BITNET | -- Mystery Science Theater 3000,
gold...@soda.berkeley.edu | "Rocket Attack USA"