Johanna's New Job/Email Address

Johanna Draper

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address
has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
please email me.

Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I
encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing
suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm really
excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
advance for all your support.

Johanna

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until

: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congratulations, Johanna! I know this is your dream job, and I'm thrilled
as heck that you've gotten it. I'm also selfishly happy that you'll be
local to me now! Weekly sushi gatherings, hee! :)

: Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing...

Understandably so, but I'll miss your reviews, and especially our
collaborations on the DC Preview packs. Ed Douglas has graciously agreed
to fill the void here, but he'll never replace you.

: Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was.

I hope you won't be leaving us altogether. You have always found a way to
say the same things I've wanted to express, but more succinctly and, well,
just somehow *better*. You've been one of my favorite posters here, and
probably my best rac* friend, and I thank you for everything you've done
here. It just won't be the same without your frequent participation...

: I encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing

: suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :)

Well, there is this little matter of the racdu FAQ... :) :) :)

: Most of all, I'm really
: excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
: advance for all your support.

YAY J!!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!!

And you better show up to the monthly Lulu meetings, or I'll hunt you
down. After all, I know where you work now. :)

- Elayne
--
E-Mail me, the "Firehead Head," for a copy of the final issue of ()~~
the official Firesign Theatre newsletter, Four-Alarm FIRESIGNal; ##

Anthony Isabella

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) wrote:

>Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

>Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address

>has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
>previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
>future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
>please email me.

>Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I

>encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing

>suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm really

>excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
>advance for all your support.

Congratulations, Johanna.

Tony

Mike Chary

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

[posted and e-mailed]

Johanna Draper <DCOJo...@aol.com> wrote:
>Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>they make you one of them.

What you pick now to take me seriously? :)

"But first, on earth as Vampire sent,
Thy corpse shall from its tomb be rent;
Then ghastly haunt thy native place,
And suck the blood of all thy race."

(Good luck, luv. :^* )
--
Court Philosopher and Barbarian, DNRC http://ezinfo.ucs.indiana.edu/~fchary
"Logic is like the sword: those who appeal to it shall perish by it."

R. Tang

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

In article <56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>,

Johanna Draper <DCOJo...@aol.com> wrote:
>Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed.

Oh, dear.

> Beginning Dec 2nd,
>I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congratulations. (I'd beg you to "suck on me" to become a pro,
too, but that has entirely too many connotations for some folks....).

>Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address
>has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
>previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
>future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
>please email me.
>
>Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I
>encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing
>suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm really
>excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
>advance for all your support.

Damn. And I just canceled my AOL account....
--
Roger Tang, gwan...@u.washington.edu, Artistic Director PC Theatre
Editor, Asian American Theatre Revue:

Bob Ingersoll

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96
to DCOJo...@aol.com

Johanna Draper wrote:

> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,

> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)
>
> Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address
> has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
> previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
> future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
> please email me.
>
> Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I
> encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing
> suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm really
> excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
> advance for all your support.
>
> Johanna

Congrats, Johanna.

Bob

David L. Eppley

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
>Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site.

It's about time. :)

>Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I

We'll miss you. :)

Perhaps I'll take over on the Previews posts you used to do. :)

>Most of all, I'm really
>excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
>advance for all your support.

I've already wished Johanna well, but I thought I'd better keep up appearances
by acknowledging it in public. <g>

Best of luck to ya! And know that AOL is going to a flat rate, I can spend
more time in DC Online (and more time critiquing your work!)

-Dave Eppley

David Crowe

Nov 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/20/96

Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote:
: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike

: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

SELL OUT! You're the Man now! You're going to be keeping the rest of us
down! I know who is going to be the first one against the wall when the
revolution comes! :)

Juust kidding. I'll miss your presence as a dynamic force for good here,
but wish you the best in your new position.

By the way, exactly what will you be doing? Making more of the old DC
cartoons into CD-ROMS?

--
David "No Nickname" Crowe No generalization is true
-not even this one.

Donald MacPherson

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in article
<56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>...

> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)
>
> Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address
> has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
> previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
> future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
> please email me.
>
> Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was.
> encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing
> suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm

really
> excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
> advance for all your support.

Congratulations, Johanna. I'm so green with envy, people are calling me
Kermit. :-)

Donald MacPherson

Dave Van Domelen

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Congrats, eh? And talk about fast service, you already have a
professional credit in Wonder Woman Plus Jesse Quick. }->
Dave Van Domelen, wonders if Chary would be considered a professional
parademon....

Christopher Bird

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:

> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Pardon me. I'm just going out back to burn with jealousy.

Good one, Johanna. :)

----------- The Church of Cthulhu: http://chat.carleton.ca/~cbird-----------
"Trust me! I'm a Senator!" -- Tenzil Kem, LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES
CAMPUS CRUSADE FOR CTHULHU: "Because he can beat up all your wimpy gods!"

Bala Menon

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in article
<56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>...
> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congrats, Johanna ! :-)
And I noticed the credits in today's Wonder Woman Plus: way to go !

--
Bala Menon (b.m...@worldnet.att.net)

chi...@fred.aurora.edu

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Congratulations. Your comments will be missed...at least till I manage
to land my own comics job and get on aol to see what youve done to
the place. <g>

The best of luck to you
Chidder
'Remember, the price of getting what you want is gettign what once you
wanted'-Morpheus

dcojo...@aol.com

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

>>Perhaps I'll take over on the Previews posts you used to do. :)<<

I've always thought that you should be doing more reviewing.

>>Best of luck to ya!<<

Thanks!

>>And know that AOL is going to a flat rate, I can spend
more time in DC Online (and more time critiquing your work!)<<

I'm always willing to hear comments and suggestions.

Johanna

Johanna Draper

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <01bbd76a$9f3cfca0$582d74cf@bala>,
Bala Menon <b.m...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>Congrats, Johanna ! :-)

Thanks!

>And I noticed the credits in today's Wonder Woman Plus: way to go !

Complete surprise to me, although a lovely gesture.

Johanna

John Holbrook

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In <19961121140...@ladder01.news.aol.com> dcojo...@aol.com
writes:

>>>I'll miss your presence as a dynamic force for good here,
>but wish you the best in your new position.<<
>
>Thank you.

>>>exactly what will you be doing? Making more of the old DC cartoons
into
>CD-ROMS?<<
>
>No, the CD-Rom projects are part of the department, but I'll be
working on
>the AOL site and the web page.

I assume a LSH web page is fairly high on your agenda? :)
Congrats again.

Best,

--
John B. Holbrook, II - Human Resources Representative - Keane, Inc.
E-MAIL:jb...@ix.netcom.com WWW:http://www.netcom.com/~jbh9/personal.html

dcojo...@aol.com

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

>>I'll miss your presence as a dynamic force for good here,
but wish you the best in your new position.<<

Thank you.

>>exactly what will you be doing? Making more of the old DC cartoons into
CD-ROMS?<<

No, the CD-Rom projects are part of the department, but I'll be working on
the AOL site and the web page.

Johanna

Jim Perreault

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes:

>they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congratulations Johanna ! This sounds like the perfect job for you. We
will all be poorer without your reviews here.

>I encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing
>suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place.

Unfortunately, I need more than my old 286 to access AOL. I do have a few
comments about the Web sight, but I think I will wait on that.

Jim
--
Jim Perreault
j...@acsu.buffalo.edu

David Tallan

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,

: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

: Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was.

Congratulations! And I'm sorry to read the latter part. Not only
because I was counting on your Galaxion plugs, when the time came,
to help boost sales :-) but because you are one of the posters
that I've found helpful in alerting me to comics I might otherwise
have missed. DCOMartha is permitted to maintain an active,
"unofficial" presence here in rac*. It's a real shame that doesn't
seem feasible to you, as well. It's all that prevents this from
being a win-win situation.

Regards,
David Tallan
tal...@io.org

IHCOYC XPICTOC

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) quoth:

: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congratulations!
--
________Let's_keep_copyright_and_trademark_lawyering_off_the_Net__________
IHCOYC XPICTOC http://members.iglou.com/gustavus gust...@iglou.com

Robert Faires

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>, DCOJo...@aol.com wrote:

> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)
>

> Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address
> has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
> previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
> future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
> please email me.
>

> Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was. I

> encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing

> suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :) Most of all, I'm really
> excited by this opportunity to work in an area I love, and thanks in
> advance for all your support.
>

> Johanna

In a week that brings so much depressing news about lay-offs in the
industry, how refreshing - and thrilling, really - to hear about a hiring,
and of a person who stands to make some valuable contributions in the
field. I join my fellow posters in wishing you congratulations, as well as
much joy in your employment.

The only shadow that your notice casts is that you won'y be posting as
regularly as you once did. When I first came on the newsgroups a couple of
years back, yours was one of the first names I began to recognize. Your
comments were sharp and to the point, and I learned very quickly to check
out a thread whenever your name was listed beside a post. It promised
lively discussion at the least and considerable insight at the best. I
regret that I'll see fewer of those posts now, but I trust they won't
disappear altogether.

At any rate, thanks for your contributions to date, and the very best of
wishes in the future.

Robert Faires
Austin, Texas

Rich Johnston

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

In article <56vn79$c...@panix.com>, fire...@panix.com says...

>Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
>: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congrats Johanna!
(Damn. Someone else I know well at DC who is no position to give me
work. I've got to start mixing with other DC people.)

>: Unfortunately, I'll no longer be participating here as actively as I was.

Hey hey Johanna! No so fast! We demand your input into racm. It's one
of the reasons I stick around...

>I hope you won't be leaving us altogether. You have always found a way to
>say the same things I've wanted to express, but more succinctly and, well,
>just somehow *better*. You've been one of my favorite posters here, and
>probably my best rac* friend, and I thank you for everything you've done
>here. It just won't be the same without your frequent participation...

Indeed. Course, Elayne, you'd better not join Johanna in her solitude,
otherwise racm will shrink by a half.

>: I encourage y'all to check out DC Online, and I'm interested in hearing

>: suggestions, once I get acclimated to the place. :)

The DC web page is very... strange.

>And you better show up to the monthly Lulu meetings, or I'll hunt you
>down. After all, I know where you work now. :)

Indeed. BTW, now you're hear, did you know you were mentioned in the
recent Comics Journal, Elayne?

Rich Johnston <rjoh...@ea.com>

dcojo...@aol.com

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

David Tallan wrote:
>>DCOMartha is permitted to maintain an active, "unofficial" presence here
in rac*. It's a real shame that doesn't seem feasible to you, as well.<<

Leaving aside the differences in our situations, I didn't want to make any
promises I couldn't keep, and getting up to speed on a new job takes time
and energy. But thanks for the compliments.

Johanna

Fred A. Murphy

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Bala Menon wrote:

> Johanna Draper <dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu> wrote in article
> <56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>...
> > Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> > they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> > I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> > Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site.

Congratulations. And double congratulations on anything you had to do
with getting DC to have a real website, for the 90% of the world who
couldn't care less if AOL fell off the face of the earth.

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Fred A. Murphy (bigg...@greenapple.com) wrote:

: Congratulations. And double congratulations on anything you had to do

: with getting DC to have a real website, for the 90% of the world who
: couldn't care less if AOL fell off the face of the earth.

Mike Leib and Greg Ross set up the "real website," but I have every
confidence that Webmistress Johanna will be doing her utmost to expand
upon the solid foundation they've built.

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

Rich Johnston (rjoh...@ea.com) wrote:
: In article <56vn79$c...@panix.com>, fire...@panix.com says...
: >
: >Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
: >: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until

: >: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
: >: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: >: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike

: >: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

: Congrats Johanna!
: (Damn. Someone else I know well at DC who is no position to give me
: work. I've got to start mixing with other DC people.)

Hasn't worked for me so far. :) :) :)

: >I hope you won't be leaving us altogether. You have always found a way to

: >say the same things I've wanted to express, but more succinctly and, well,
: >just somehow *better*. You've been one of my favorite posters here, and
: >probably my best rac* friend, and I thank you for everything you've done
: >here. It just won't be the same without your frequent participation...

: Indeed. Course, Elayne, you'd better not join Johanna in her solitude,
: otherwise racm will shrink by a half.

I do not envision myself working at the DC offices any time soon. I
couldn't afford the pay cut. :)

Now, freelancing, that's another story. I imagine that, once my writing
starts bringing in bucks, I'll be cutting way back on my Usenet
participation.

: >And you better show up to the monthly Lulu meetings, or I'll hunt you

: >down. After all, I know where you work now. :)

: Indeed. BTW, now you're hear, did you know you were mentioned in the
: recent Comics Journal, Elayne?

Yes Rich, this is the second thread where you've pointed this out, and I
explained the circumstances the *first* time and I'm not going into it
again. By the way, happy birthday.

The Enigmatic C.

Nov 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/21/96

dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) wrote:

>Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

>Due to this position, I will no longer be reviewing, and my email address

>has changed. If you need to reach me, please use DCOJo...@aol.com; my
>previous email address will be going away sometime in the indefinite
>future. I'm also moving physically; if you need my new mailing address,
>please email me.

>Johanna

I wanted to say congratulations. Although you yelled at me a bunch and
probably don't think too muchof me (sounds like most of RAC), I did have
fun arguing with you, when possible, and I'm sorry to see you go.

On the other hand, you've broken into comics in a way that most of RAC
wishes they could, so it doesn't matter how much we'll miss you, we know
you're in a better place. :)

C.

I can't say that I love Jesus, That would be a hollow claim.
He did make some observations, and I'm quoting them today;
"Judge not lest ye be judged.", What a beautiful refrain.
- rem; new test lepper; new adventures in hi-fi.

Tom Galloway

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In article <572pge$l...@panix.com> fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) writes:
>Fred A. Murphy (bigg...@greenapple.com) wrote:
>: Congratulations. And double congratulations on anything you had to do
>: with getting DC to have a real website, for the 90% of the world who
>: couldn't care less if AOL fell off the face of the earth.
>Mike Leib and Greg Ross set up the "real website," but I have every
>confidence that Webmistress Johanna will be doing her utmost to expand
>upon the solid foundation they've built.

On the other hand, I've been saying to Greg & Co. for over two years
that the Web was the way to go over AOL for just that reason that Fred
cites (although the underlying reason is that it needs to be thought of
as advertising, rather than as a profit center). But with AOL as of December
1st offering unlimited hours for $20/month and unlimited AOL access from
outside accounts for $10/month, the situation's very different. The key point,
which I've no idea about and don't really expect to learn, is how DC's
compensation for the AOL site changes when it's no longer a per hour charge
that can get part of it easily passed back to content providers. Depending
on how it works, there may very well be a stronger incentive for DC to move
more to the Web (one notices, for example, that the Motley Fool is now
at www.fool.com rather than fool.web.aol.com) in that the AOL site won't
be bringing in as much money, therefore the greater numbers on the Web
become more valuable even though they bring in no money.

However, I'm actually considering getting an AOL account, since the content
there might be worth $10/month. So it may be that more people head to AOL,
making the numbers crunch differently than at present.

tyg t...@netcom.com

dcojo...@aol.com

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

From: "Fred A. Murphy" <bigg...@greenapple.com>

>>double congratulations on anything you had to do with getting DC to have
a real website<<

The web site was started under Mike Leib; I won't take credit for setting
that up.

Johanna

dscot...@aol.com

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In article <onstage-2111...@pagopago.auschron.com>,
ons...@auschron.com (Robert Faires) writes:

>The only shadow that your notice casts is that you won'y be posting as
>regularly as you once did. When I first came on the newsgroups a couple
of
>years back, yours was one of the first names I began to recognize. Your
>comments were sharp and to the point, and I learned very quickly to check
>out a thread whenever your name was listed beside a post. It promised
>lively discussion at the least and considerable insight at the best. I
>regret that I'll see fewer of those posts now, but I trust they won't
>disappear altogether.

I just wanted to add that I had this same experience. I got to like you
long before I ever posted a word. Congratulations!

Dave Doty

am...@snowmeow.com

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

> Thanks!
>
> >>And know that AOL is going to a flat rate, I can spend
> more time in DC Online (and more time critiquing your work!)<<
>
> I'm always willing to hear comments and suggestions.
>
> Johanna

<delurk>

Congrats on the Job for a start. Just a few comments about the DC WWW
page, I'm not sure if you have complete control over that.. and I hate to
be blunt... but its boring. :P It may be because its just a little arm
off the Time Warner Page (I haven't been there for about a month, so
excuse me if I'm completely off track). I think the occasional fun
snipp[et on characters or events... maybe some new drapes.. er sorry. :)

And whatever you or anyone else does to any page.. anywhere.. please stay
away from frames! They drive me nuts! (and if you don't have framse,
midi or Java.. this goes to everyone... link to my PC friendly image. ;)
http://www.snowmeow.com/~amara/images/pcfrndly.jpg)

Also, what about setting up 'meet the creator' chats off of AOL if its
possible. It may not be possible, but I've always thought its a good
marketing strategy to have your good advertisment, pages (like DC
com,ics online) and chats to reach a wider community, like the whole WWW.
:)

Just suggestions. :)

Hope you have fun with the Job anyhoo. :)
Amy (Who's posting this from a different account because her other one's
being a pain in the behind)

</delurk>

"We count 30 rebel ships, Lord Vader, but our men are so pissed they
couldn't hit a bull's butt with a bass fiddle."
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
Amy 'Amara' Pronovost: Anthro/Star Wars artist, Star Wars Cool Girl,
Official rassm Cool person, Psychovixen.
ap...@cleo.murdoch.edu.au <*> http://rat.org/amara <*>

Joseph A Santoro Jr

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Gratz on the new job... we'll miss ya :)
:
-- joe

rogl...@aol.com

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Congratulations!

May the job be a happy one!

-- Roger Stern
comic books

julio

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In article <56vl26$t...@netnews.upenn.edu>, DCOJo...@aol.com wrote:

> Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
> they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
> I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
> Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
> Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Sounds like an ideal job. Congratulations! I'll have to check that Web
page more often, now.

Julio

Rich Johnston

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

In article <572pe5$k...@panix.com>, fire...@panix.com says...

>: (Damn. Someone else I know well at DC who is no position to give me
>: work. I've got to start mixing with other DC people.)
>
>Hasn't worked for me so far. :) :) :)

On the other hand, e-mailing Jim Valentino about his new line, he said
he hadn't read my work but was recommended by friends of his, whose
opinions he values.

Tell Steve, thanks.

Y'know Elayne, I've got some space for short (1-2) page stories in Buh
Hunt 4. If you or Steve want to have a go...

>: Indeed. Course, Elayne, you'd better not join Johanna in her solitude,
>: otherwise racm will shrink by a half.
>
>I do not envision myself working at the DC offices any time soon. I
>couldn't afford the pay cut. :)
>
>Now, freelancing, that's another story. I imagine that, once my writing
>starts bringing in bucks, I'll be cutting way back on my Usenet
>participation.

You're going to write Make Money Fast mailings, aren't you?

> By the way, happy birthday.

It was indeed. Ended up at Trafalgar Square shouting at lions.

Rich Johnston <rjoh...@ea.com>

Jonathan Woodward

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

-Congratulations, o she-who-drapes!

-JW

Jonathan Woodward wood...@ftp.com or @io.com http://www.io.com/~woodward/
GCS/O a- C+++$ W++>+++$ N++ w++ t++ 5+ R+>+++$ b+++ DI++++ G++>++++ T+++$ y+
"How did we make decisions before hormones?" -Peter Fox, _Foxtrot_

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

Rich Johnston (rjoh...@ea.com) wrote:
: In article <572pe5$k...@panix.com>, fire...@panix.com says...

: >
: >: (Damn. Someone else I know well at DC who is no position to give me
: >: work. I've got to start mixing with other DC people.)
: >
: >Hasn't worked for me so far. :) :) :)

: On the other hand, e-mailing Jim Valentino about his new line, he said
: he hadn't read my work but was recommended by friends of his, whose
: opinions he values.

: Tell Steve, thanks.

Yeah, Steve's known Jim about as long as I have. The thanks have been
passed on (my husband is currently not subscribed to racm).

: Y'know Elayne, I've got some space for short (1-2) page stories in Buh

: Hunt 4. If you or Steve want to have a go...

Please e-mail me about this; I prefer to conduct business that way rather
than in public. :)

I haven't tried my hand at 2-pagers yet, but as I've been doing 8-pagers
and 22-pagers I might as well try to stretch (or shrink, as the case may
be)...

: >I do not envision myself working at the DC offices any time soon. I

: >couldn't afford the pay cut. :)
: >
: >Now, freelancing, that's another story. I imagine that, once my writing
: >starts bringing in bucks, I'll be cutting way back on my Usenet
: >participation.

: You're going to write Make Money Fast mailings, aren't you?

Hee! Well, I just joined news.admin.net-abuse.email and .usenet, so maybe
I'll actually learn how to one of these days... :) :) :)

Spooon

Nov 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/22/96

fire...@panix.com (Elayne Wechsler-Chaput) wrote:

>Johanna Draper (dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu) wrote:
>: Mike Chary says that comics pros are like vampires; they don't rest until
>: they make you one of them. Well, gang, I've succumbed. Beginning Dec 2nd,
>: I'll be on staff at DC Comics as an Associate Editor for Multimedia
>: Publishing, working on the DC Online AOL area and the web site. (Mike
>: Leib's old job, for those of you who knew him.)

Congratulations Johanna! I can't wait to see what you do with the web
page, etc. I'll miss your reviews, but hopefully, even if your
presence can't be felt in that particular way, it can be felt in
others.

Now all we need is to have someone competent over at Marvel. :)

Spooon, who sometimes goes by the name James R. Henry
Spo...@Juno.com
Hen...@uakron.edu

"Most of our future lies ahead"
- Denny Crum

Michael R. Grabois

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

On 21 Nov 1996 14:45:49 GMT, jb...@ix.netcom.com(John Holbrook) wrote:

>In <19961121140...@ladder01.news.aol.com> dcojo...@aol.com
>writes:

> I assume a LSH web page is fairly high on your agenda? :)
>Congrats again.

No official Legion page could touch the length and breadth of what we
net.fans have come up with. Check out
http://www.idyllmtn.com/rac/dc/lsh/lsh_res.htm
for all the Legion web pages.

Well, OK, they COULD have some neat stuff we don't have, but there's still
more of us. So there.

-----
Michael R. Grabois | http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/mgrabois
Houston, TX | or...@ix.netcom.com CI$: 74737,2600
"If you can read this, you're an alien trying to steal my brain
just like you did to Elvis."

Michael R. Grabois

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

So what happened to Mike and Greg? Aren't they still involved in the
multimedia thing, or is it all your baby now?

Congrats, by the way. I know it's something you've been wanting for a while.
I assume you'll be moving to NYC or thereabouts?

Elayne Wechsler-Chaput

Nov 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/24/96

Michael R. Grabois (or...@ix.netcom.com) wrote:

: On 22 Nov 1996 04:56:10 GMT, dcojo...@aol.com wrote:

: >From: "Fred A. Murphy" <bigg...@greenapple.com>
: >>>double congratulations on anything you had to do with getting DC to have
: >a real website<<
: >
: >The web site was started under Mike Leib; I won't take credit for setting
: >that up.

: So what happened to Mike and Greg? Aren't they still involved in the
: multimedia thing, or is it all your baby now?

Greg is still at DC. Mike has moved to California to be a SYSOP on the
Warner Brothers Virtual Lot, the bastard. :)

: Congrats, by the way. I know it's something you've been wanting for a while.

: I assume you'll be moving to NYC or thereabouts?

I would assume Johanna's in Jersey City as we speak. I'm still waiting
for her preliminary report on the sushi places around there. :)