[REVIEW] Excalibur #103 (Ice Hot Reviews)

Greg McElhatton

Sep 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/22/96

EXCALIBUR #103
"Bend Sinister, Reprise"
written by Warren Ellis
pencilled by Carlos Pacheco
inked by Scott Koblish and Bob Wiacek
colored by Ariane Lenshoek
edited by Matt Idelson
published by Marvel Comics

Well, I'm depressed. It's Warren Ellis's final issue of EXCALIBUR, and
I think this is probably one of his best issues on the book. With
lovely art by Carlos Pacheco, we get to see alternate visions of
Kitty, Kurt, and Piotr... but there's a different twist this time.
It's a nice examination of what makes "our" versions different from
all the others, resolves a dangling plotline (well, it replaces it
with another one that may never get resolved), and ends Ellis's run
gracefully, returning to his first storyline that marked his arrival.
One artistic nitpick, though--a Star of David has SIX points, not
five... whoops!

While Marvel hasn't officially announced the new writer for EXCALIBUR,
I do think that whomever takes over the book should take a good close
look at the Chris Claremont, Alan Davis, and Ellis runs of this book.
(And if they ignore all the others I won't complain one bit.) Ellis,
like his two able predecessors, had a intimate understanding with the
wide range of personalities that make up the book. I'd like to hope
that we don't get a retread of when Davis left the book--namely,
discarding almost everything he'd done, including all new members of
the book. Pete Wisdom is a great addition to the book, as well as the
revamps of Piotr, Brian, Meggan, and Douglock (and the addition of
Rahne to the book).

If you've missed Ellis's run, I'd heartily recommend picking up #103
to try it out for yourself. If you like it, head back and grab the
rest of them--it's well worth the hunt! (Ellis's run consisted of
#83-103, plus X-CALIBRE #1-4, which was actually pretty darn good.) He
will be missed...

RATING (1-10): 8
--
Greg McElhatton
iced...@erols.com * dri...@genie.com

Roland X

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <524839$l...@test-sun.erols.com>, iced...@erols.com (Greg
McElhatton) wrote:

> EXCALIBUR #103
> "Bend Sinister, Reprise"
> written by Warren Ellis
> pencilled by Carlos Pacheco
> inked by Scott Koblish and Bob Wiacek
> colored by Ariane Lenshoek
> edited by Matt Idelson
> published by Marvel Comics

<snip>

> If you've missed Ellis's run, I'd heartily recommend picking up #103
> to try it out for yourself. If you like it, head back and grab the
> rest of them--it's well worth the hunt! (Ellis's run consisted of
> #83-103, plus X-CALIBRE #1-4, which was actually pretty darn good.) He
> will be missed...

Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)
Ah well, from what I can tell, even Ellis basically ignored that
issue as soon as Wisdom was better...
--
=== / "Do not become your enemy to defeat your enemy."
O (/) epitaph, Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)

Hohn Cho

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

In article <rolandx-2309...@dby-ct2-11.ix.netcom.com>,
Roland X <rol...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
>turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
>this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
>is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
>ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
>head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)

I, too, was adamantly against this development at first, and was one of
the most vocal detractors to this issue. But things didn't turn out that
badly, actually, and the one possible explanation I could buy--namely that
he was temporarily insane, but he _still_ subconsciously couldn't bring
himself to kill Wisdom so he held back--was how Warren decided to do it.

Give it a chance.

--
Sincerely,
Hohn Cho

Alan Sauer

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

rol...@ix.netcom.com (Roland X) writes:
> Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
> turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
> this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
> is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
> ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
> head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)

Think of it this way: Would you be unaffected if your entire family
died and you got hit on the head really hard? My guess is no.

> Ah well, from what I can tell, even Ellis basically ignored that
> issue as soon as Wisdom was better...

He explained it, which isn't quite the same thing, but yeah.

I actually thought the explanation was pretty realistic. Despite not
being backed up by the art in the Colossus-Wisdom fight.

Alan Sauer als...@tiny.computing.csbsju.edu
"To follow knowledge, like a sinking star,/Beyond the utmost bound
of human thought." -- from "Ulysses," by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Roland X

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <526p20$3...@agate.berkeley.edu>, hoh...@uclink2.berkeley.edu
(Hohn Cho) wrote:

> > Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
> >turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
> >this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
> >is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
> >ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
> >head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)
>

> I, too, was adamantly against this development at first, and was one of
> the most vocal detractors to this issue. But things didn't turn out that
> badly, actually, and the one possible explanation I could buy--namely that
> he was temporarily insane, but he _still_ subconsciously couldn't bring
> himself to kill Wisdom so he held back--was how Warren decided to do it.
>
> Give it a chance.

Um, even if I _was_ willing to give Ellis a chance, he's
leaving the book. Excalibur was the _only_ X-book I was
still deciding on after On$lut (keeping X-Man, dropping
the rest-and I might drop X-Man as well, if the dangler
that wouldn't die doesn't) and while I hate hate HATE
Peter Wisdom, at least I actually care about what
happens to him. Hence I liked watching Piotr try to
pound him into paste but stop himself. Ellis is a good
writer.
But now he's gone. Ah well. More money for Legion.
<bg>

Hohn Cho

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <rolandx-2309...@dby-ct1-08.ix.netcom.com>,
Roland X <rol...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Um, even if I _was_ willing to give Ellis a chance, he's
>leaving the book.

I meant that you might want to consider picking up the post-Colossus
Agonistes issues of Warren's run, if you haven't already.

>still deciding on after On$lut (keeping X-Man, dropping
>the rest-and I might drop X-Man as well, if the dangler
>that wouldn't die doesn't)

Bleah. Those Tastes, they sure do Vary.

I can't stand X-Man.

> But now he's gone. Ah well. More money for Legion.

I've heard so many good things about LSH, I might have to go pick some
issues up. Any particular issue recommendations? How long has the new
series been running, for that matter? TIA.

Johanna Draper

Sep 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/24/96

In article <529bta$9...@agate.berkeley.edu>,

Hohn Cho <hoh...@uclink2.berkeley.edu> wrote:
>I've heard so many good things about LSH, I might have to go pick some
>issues up. Any particular issue recommendations? How long has the new
>series been running, for that matter? TIA.

The reboot has been going on since Zero Hour (about two years now?). The
most recent LSH issue (85) is a good jumping on point. For more
information, check the FAQ in rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh.

(I highly recommend the series.)

Johanna
--
"You've got the most unbelievable blue eyes I've ever seen.
You've got the ice melting away."

Jeffrey Picka

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu (Johanna Draper) writes, concerning good
jump-on points for the LSH:

:The reboot has been going on since Zero Hour (about two years now?). The

:most recent LSH issue (85) is a good jumping on point. For more
:information, check the FAQ in rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh.

Did anyone notice Jeff Moy's art in the Dream Nails Trilogy, and
Mutant's Night Out? Kitty shows a tongue just as all are entering the
pub.

JDP [enthusiast of the rebooted LSH, but more enthusiastic about the
Giffen/Bierbaum issues]

Johanna Draper

Sep 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/25/96

In article <2ck9tjm...@ulf.uchicago.edu>,

Jeffrey Picka <pi...@ulf.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>Did anyone notice Jeff Moy's art in the Dream Nails Trilogy, and
>Mutant's Night Out? Kitty shows a tongue just as all are entering the
>pub.

Those issues are what caused me to start reading Excalibur; Mr. Ellis was
giving the team real personalities. That kind of character development is
why I read Legion as well, although Jeff's lovely art doesn't hurt.

Roland X

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

In article <529bta$9...@agate.berkeley.edu>, hoh...@uclink2.berkeley.edu
(Hohn Cho) wrote:

<snip>

> >still deciding on after On$lut (keeping X-Man, dropping
> >the rest-and I might drop X-Man as well, if the dangler
> >that wouldn't die doesn't)
>
> Bleah. Those Tastes, they sure do Vary.
>
> I can't stand X-Man.

I understand why-often, he's too much like Crab-Face
(the Green Lantern mockery running around DC) for my
taste, but now that each issue isn't 'Nate meets some-
one new and fights them,' things have gotten interesting.
His relationship with Threnody, IMO, has become quite
touching, even in he _does_ talk like Silver Age narration
when he's trying to be romantic. <g>
(Besides, I kinda like that. Sort of retro.)
Ah well, tastes do indeed differ...

Julian Murgatroyd

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

McElhatton) wrote:

>> EXCALIBUR #103
>> "Bend Sinister, Reprise"
>> written by Warren Ellis
>> pencilled by Carlos Pacheco
>> inked by Scott Koblish and Bob Wiacek
>> colored by Ariane Lenshoek
>> edited by Matt Idelson
>> published by Marvel Comics

<snip>

>> If you've missed Ellis's run, I'd heartily recommend picking up #103
>> to try it out for yourself. If you like it, head back and grab the
>> rest of them--it's well worth the hunt! (Ellis's run consisted of
>> #83-103, plus X-CALIBRE #1-4, which was actually pretty darn good.) He
>> will be missed...

> Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
>turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
>this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
>is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
>ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
>head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)

Yes. Except Ellis almost explained it to my satisfaction an issue or two
later. Almost but not quite, but this was a light character toasting
compared to some others I could mention (*cough* GL *cough*), and even WITH
Piotr turning briefly into even MORE of a podperson than he already was,
Ellis' Excal has, in ym eyes, been the best written X-Book for some time
now. *shrug*

>Ah well, from what I can tell, even Ellis basically ignored that
>issue as soon as Wisdom was better...

No, actually, he didn't. Wisdom isn't real happy with Piotr still, and
the other folks are slightly on edge when they're both around,

--
Kate Martin jul...@haven.boston.ma.us http://www.haven.boston.ma.us/~julian
"In any event, your sense of proportion seems to be broken." -- P. O'Brien

The Man with the Golden Gun

Sep 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/26/96

I agree very much with this. The book has been enjoyable, if not always
completely accurate to my satisfaction, but Ellis obviously was trying hard,
which I believe counts for something. But at least GL has turned out better
than I thought. Kyle's showing character, and Hal's gone from complete,
unexplained nutcase, to complete, unexplained nutcase who is willing to lend
a hand . . .

> >Ah well, from what I can tell, even Ellis basically ignored that
> >issue as soon as Wisdom was better...
>
> No, actually, he didn't. Wisdom isn't real happy with Piotr still, and
> the other folks are slightly on edge when they're both around,

True. I found that to be a nice touch, especially since we aren't hit over
the head with it.

-Scaramanga, hit over the head way too much lately . . .
--
The Man with the Golden Gun, Craig Lovelace, founder of MAVWWDBN
Bond: Do you mind if I smoke?

Aardy R. DeVarque

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

Julian Murgatroyd (jul...@flash-gordon.haven.boston.ma.us) wrote:
> Roland X wrote:
> In article <524839$l...@test-sun.erols.com>, iced...@erols.com (Greg
> McElhatton) wrote:

> >> EXCALIBUR #103
> <snip>

> >> If you've missed Ellis's run, I'd heartily recommend picking up #103
> >> to try it out for yourself. If you like it, head back and grab the
> >> rest of them--it's well worth the hunt! (Ellis's run consisted of
> >> #83-103, plus X-CALIBRE #1-4, which was actually pretty darn good.) He
> >> will be missed...
>
> > Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
> >turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
> >this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
> >is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
> >ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
> >head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)
>
> Yes.

That was what--#93? That sounds right, anyways. Definitely part of
Ellis' run.

> Except Ellis almost explained it to my satisfaction an issue or two
> later. Almost but not quite, but this was a light character toasting

Ditto's on this. #93 was a horror to my eyes (as anyone who was reading
this group when it came out could probably attest...;) ), but Ellis has
*pretty much* redeemed the character from that point.

> compared to some others I could mention (*cough* GL *cough*),

GesundXFACTORheit!

> and even WITH
> Piotr turning briefly into even MORE of a podperson than he already was,

"Is now the part where I go off-panel early on in the story and beat
people up?" and "team shot, gotta work in the big guy somehow. Let's use
him as a perching place for Lockheed" IMHO sum up the treatment of the
character up for the most part. Which is still better than "Let's have
him go insane and try to kill someone!" It wasn't that he was a
pod-person, it was just that he didn't *do* anything, or say much that
couldn't have been said verbatim by any other character in the book.

> Ellis' Excal has, in ym eyes, been the best written X-Book for some time
> now. *shrug*

Once again, dittos. Don't buy the book just for Colossus, but there's no
reason to *avoid* it because of him, either. Buy it because, when read as
a run, it's *Good*. The issue-month break-issue reading tends to make
things too choppy, and you often miss things that are brought up and dealt
with later. <shrug>

> >Ah well, from what I can tell, even Ellis basically ignored that
> >issue as soon as Wisdom was better...
>
> No, actually, he didn't. Wisdom isn't real happy with Piotr still, and
> the other folks are slightly on edge when they're both around,

But both are now civil enough to not get into hissy fits around the
others. And Piotr has come to realize that, for now at least, it may very
well be better for her for Kitty to be with Wisdom.

That said, the rules go out the window with issue #104. I predict a
massive infection of pod-people. Perhaps a few pods, too.

Aardy
F=S+T

Roland X

Sep 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/27/96

In article <JULIAN.96S...@flash-gordon.haven.boston.ma.us>,
jul...@flash-gordon.haven.boston.ma.us (Julian Murgatroyd) wrote:

> Roland X wrote:
> In article <524839$l...@test-sun.erols.com>, iced...@erols.com (Greg
> McElhatton) wrote:
>
> >> EXCALIBUR #103

> >> "Bend Sinister, Reprise"
> >> written by Warren Ellis
> >> pencilled by Carlos Pacheco
> >> inked by Scott Koblish and Bob Wiacek
> >> colored by Ariane Lenshoek
> >> edited by Matt Idelson
> >> published by Marvel Comics
>

> <snip>
>
> >> If you've missed Ellis's run, I'd heartily recommend picking up #103
> >> to try it out for yourself. If you like it, head back and grab the
> >> rest of them--it's well worth the hunt! (Ellis's run consisted of
> >> #83-103, plus X-CALIBRE #1-4, which was actually pretty darn good.) He
> >> will be missed...
>
> > Does that include 'Colossus Agonistes,' wherein Piotr tries to
> >turn Wisdom into a thin paste on the ground? While I enjoyed
> >this in concept, I stopped buying Excalibur then and there. That
> >is _not_ Colossus. (Of course, Colossus hasn't been Colossus
> >ever since the X-editors killed off his family, knocked him on the
> >head, and made him an Acolyte, but still...)
>

> Yes. Except Ellis almost explained it to my satisfaction an issue or two

> later. Almost but not quite, but this was a light character toasting

> compared to some others I could mention (*cough* GL *cough*),

Ow ow ow
Good point...VERY good point...

> and even WITH
> Piotr turning briefly into even MORE of a podperson than he already was,

> Ellis' Excal has, in ym eyes, been the best written X-Book for some time
> now. *shrug*

Agreed, even including the two Peters. (Gah.)
But he's _leaving._

T. Troy McNemar, Esq.

Sep 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/30/96

Previously on rec.arts.comics.marvel.xbooks, dan...@aurora.cis.upenn.edu
(Johanna Draper) wrote:

> The reboot has been going on since Zero Hour (about two years now?). The
> most recent LSH issue (85) is a good jumping on point. For more
> information, check the FAQ in rec.arts.comics.dc.lsh.

The FAQ is also available at http://www.lsh.org/faq/

ObX - As of EXCALIBUR #103 and P&W #3, I have no Xbooks on my pull list
at my LCS. I'll still check on the mutants from time to time, but it's
odd not to be able to rely on at least one quality monthly X-Read.

--
T. Troy McNemar, Esq. Tro...@indirect.com
"Just because it's not nice doesn't mean it's not miraculous."