Google grupe više ne podržavaju nove postove ni pretplate na Usenetu. Stari sadržaj ostaje vidljiv.

ELBE BJG

0 prikaza
Preskoči na prvu nepročitanu poruku

Mark J. Reed

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 13:33:4226. 8. 2004.
za
Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?

Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?

lkseitz .at. hiwaay

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 14:05:5926. 8. 2004.
za
In article <W9pXc.13465$2L3....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,

Mark J. Reed <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote:
>Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
>Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?

Don't have my OHOTMUs handy, but online sources say it is Jacob.

>Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?

John, apparently. Does that mean his son (Man-Wolf) is JJJ, Jr.?

--
lkseitz (Lee K. Seitz) .at. hiwaay @dot@ net
"You're a wonder, Wonder Woman"

Jon Yeager (Zevo)

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 14:13:0326. 8. 2004.
za

"Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote in message

> Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J. Grimm"?
> Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?
>
> Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?

Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

FSogol

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 14:27:1426. 8. 2004.
za

Jon Yeager (Zevo) wrote:

Copying Bullwinkle.

--
FSogol

Jim

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 14:36:1626. 8. 2004.
za
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net:

> Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Homer's "J" stands for Jay.

Jim

Adam Cadre

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 15:17:1726. 8. 2004.
za
Jon Yeager wrote:
> How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Uh, it's not like we're talking about Q or Z here. J is
*extremely* common as an initial; I'd bet it's the most common
in the US, at least for males. Common male names starting with
J include John, James, Jason, Joseph, Jeremy, Jonathan, Joshua,
Jeffrey, and Jacob; for females it doesn't pop up quite so often,
but Jennifer, Jessica and Jacqueline cover a hell of a lot of
people, and on top of those three you can throw in Jane and Joan
and Julie and Judy and Joyce and Jill and Janet and...

-----
Adam Cadre, Holyoke, MA
http://adamcadre.ac

The Babaloughesian

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 15:59:0726. 8. 2004.
za

"Jon Yeager (Zevo)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message

> "Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote in message
> > Has it ever been revealed what the "J" stands for in "Benjamin J.
Grimm"?
> > Maybe Jacob after his Uncle Jake?
> >
> > Heck, for that matter, what about the "J" in "J. Jonah Jameson"?
>
> Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?

Or in Stimpson J. Cat?

> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How
many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I know nobody with a J initial.

Jim

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 16:57:5226. 8. 2004.
za
"The Babaloughesian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:2p6tofFh8urjU1
@uni-berlin.de:

> I know nobody with a J initial.

My brother's middle name is "Jay".

Jim

Lilith

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 17:04:0826. 8. 2004.
za

Josephine

Lilith J. Doe

Lilith

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 17:47:1726. 8. 2004.
za

I'll never forget the night an audience member asked Jay Leno what the
"Jay" stood for.

>Jim

Lilith

Peter

nepročitano,
26. aug 2004. u 19:18:2026. 8. 2004.
za
In article <tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>, Zevo\
<nos...@please.com> wrote:

> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I do.

Mark J. Reed

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 00:12:4527. 8. 2004.
za

"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> writes:

Hey, Jon, do you read your own attributions? You replied to
a message from

>"Mark J. Reed" <mr...@thereeds.org> wrote ...

and said

>How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Oh, the irony. :)

In my case, the J stands for "Joseph", btw, which is reportedly also Clark
Kent's middle name. As to the reason behind the popularity of J as an
initial in fiction (not just comics and cartoons), I have no idea why that
is so.

Thanks to all for the help with Ben and JJ.

-Mark

Jack Bohn

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 06:06:3127. 8. 2004.
za
FSogol wrote:

>Copying Bullwinkle.

And Bullwinkle used it because of its producer, Jay Ward.

--
-Jack

Jon Yeager (Zevo)

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 10:52:4727. 8. 2004.
za
"Adam Cadre" <see-website...@adamcadre.ac> wrote in message

I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh," -- it
renews my faith that in this day and age, flamebaiters are alive and well on
the Usenet.

In fact, I'm almost turned on by it. If I had more time, I'd accept your
invitation and turn the flame way up high.

Theodore Jay Miller

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 11:28:1127. 8. 2004.
za
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

> Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
> of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

I'm Theodore J. Miller, and I know someone who's
usually called T.J.White

Some famous people known by an initial J:
J.P.Morgan
J.K.Rowling
J.R.R.Tolkein

Mark Moore

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 14:08:3227. 8. 2004.
za
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

My dad's name is Jerry.

My brother's name was Johnny.

I also have a nephew named Johnny.

My maternal grandfather was named Jacob.

My sister's daughters are named Jennifer, Jamie, Jessica, and Jonell.

Mark

Adam Cadre

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 16:03:3827. 8. 2004.
za
> I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh,"

It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was meant to indicate
astonishment at an assertion I thought was exactly wrong. That
doesn't mean I think the person I'm talking to is stupid. I've
had similar misapprehensions myself on many topics.

> it renews my faith that in this day and age, flamebaiters are alive
> and well on the Usenet.

The last thing I wanted to do was start a flame war. I left the
two groups I used to post on most often (the interactive fiction
newsgroups) precisely because there were too many trolls and flame
wars for my tastes - and those groups are actually pretty tame as
these things go.

> In fact, I'm almost turned on by it. If I had more time, I'd accept
> your invitation and turn the flame way up high.

I thought my post was quite civil. It is true that tone doesn't
translate well over Usenet - but given that you know nothing about
me, why wouldn't you give me the benefit of the doubt? It's actually
somewhat upsetting that you would decide I'm a nasty person on the
basis of two innocuous letters.

Rick

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 17:10:4827. 8. 2004.
za
Michael J. Fox. People love Michael J. Fox.

- Rick

~consul

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 21:47:1227. 8. 2004.
za
Mark Moore wrote:
> My dad's name is Jerry.
> My brother's name was Johnny.
> I also have a nephew named Johnny.
> My maternal grandfather was named Jacob.
> My sister's daughters are named Jennifer, Jamie, Jessica, and Jonell.

I'm Jameson, my brother is Jeffrey, and my dad is Jian Chu. Male cousins and uncles all
begin with J. In chinese families, it is traditional to have the males with similar first
names.
--
"Oh look, there's the rock that God can't pick up, finally I can do my taxes in peace. And
I've set fire to those nearby butterflies, so Madagascar won't have tornadoes anymore. I'm

~consul

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 21:48:0427. 8. 2004.
za
Jim wrote:
> "Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
>>Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?
> Homer's "J" stands for Jay.

Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the hippies shack)
what it means was that it was just the letter?

The Babaloughesian

nepročitano,
27. aug 2004. u 21:51:4327. 8. 2004.
za

"~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message

> Jim wrote:
> > "Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in news:tHpXc.18853
> >>Or the "J" in Homer J. Simpson?
> > Homer's "J" stands for Jay.
>
> Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the
hippies shack)
> what it means was that it was just the letter?

From script here http://www.snpp.com/episodes/AABF02:

Homer: Oh my God ... my middle name is right behind that shrub!
I'll finally know what "J" stands for. From this moment
forth, I will be known as Homer ... [he pushes back the
shrub] ... Jay Simpson! [wipes away a tear] It's so
beautiful. What a magical gift for my mother to leave me.

Switch

nepročitano,
28. aug 2004. u 04:50:4628. 8. 2004.
za
> Michael J. Fox. People love Michael J. Fox.

But wasn't the J in Michael J. Fox added superficially because there was
already a Michael Fox in Hollywood?

--
The Wax Conspiracy - dampening conduits
http://www.thewaxconspiracy.com/

DESSCRIBE1

nepročitano,
28. aug 2004. u 09:59:2328. 8. 2004.
za
>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

Well, Michael J. Fox has already been mentioned, but here are a few more off
the top of my head...

J. Paul Getty
Alan J. Pakula
J. Arthur Rank
J. Lee Thompson
J. Pat O'Malley
Jm J. Bullock

And that's not counting people who go by two initials and a surname (J.D.
Salinger, etc.)...

Erich

"We've got to strengthen our knees! Strengthen our knees for comedy!"

CleV

nepročitano,
28. aug 2004. u 12:47:5328. 8. 2004.
za
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:03:38 GMT, Adam Cadre
<see-website...@adamcadre.ac> wrote:

> > I love the way you prefaced your reply with a condescending "Uh,"

>It wasn't meant to be condescending. It was meant to indicate
>astonishment at an assertion I thought was exactly wrong. That
>doesn't mean I think the person I'm talking to is stupid. I've
>had similar misapprehensions myself on many topics.

I didn't read it as condescending either. Just used to indicate a
conversational tone. Perhaps try re-reading the post when you're in a
different mood?

Jim Longo

nepročitano,
29. aug 2004. u 09:11:1429. 8. 2004.
za
"Jon Yeager \(Zevo\)" <nos...@please.com> wrote in message news:<tHpXc.18853$Jg7.1...@wagner.videotron.net>...

http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/dist.male.first

J has three names in the top ten--James, John, and Joseph--more than
any other letter.

j.

I'm really JiminQueens. It's a hotmail account. Bitchslap a spammer
today.

~consul

nepročitano,
29. aug 2004. u 16:42:4029. 8. 2004.
za
The Babaloughesian wrote:
> "~consul" <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in message
>>Did it? I thought the episode where he finds out (mom comes back and the hippies shack)
>>what it means was that it was just the letter?
> From script here http://www.snpp.com/episodes/AABF02:
> Homer: Oh my God ... my middle name is right behind that shrub!
> I'll finally know what "J" stands for. From this moment
> forth, I will be known as Homer ... [he pushes back the
> shrub] ... Jay Simpson! [wipes away a tear] It's so
> beautiful. What a magical gift for my mother to leave me.

Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I thought it was just the
letter J.

Jim

nepročitano,
29. aug 2004. u 20:51:5829. 8. 2004.

> Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I
> thought it was just the letter J.

I found this:

http://www.thewoodstockspirit.org/images/site%20pics/24.jpg

Jim

~consul

nepročitano,
30. aug 2004. u 12:08:4330. 8. 2004.
za
Jim wrote:
> ~consul <con...@INVALIDdolphins-cove.com> wrote in
>>Does any one have the actual pic of what is on the barn side? I
>>thought it was just the letter J.
> I found this:
> http://www.thewoodstockspirit.org/images/site%20pics/24.jpg

Fair enough. :)
--
"Oh look, there's the rock that GOD can't pick up, finally I can do my taxes in peace. And

I've set fire to those nearby butterflies, so Madagascar won't have tornadoes anymore. I'm
saving LIVES. And I hope my foods are still salty with this 'NaCl' stuff, 'cause you'll

_never_ know, on principle, if it'll certainly work or not."

DESSCRIBE1

nepročitano,
30. aug 2004. u 13:51:3430. 8. 2004.
za
>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?

It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski hasn't
posted in this thread.

Jms at B5

nepročitano,
30. aug 2004. u 18:45:3530. 8. 2004.
za
>>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons? How many
>>of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?
>
>It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski hasn't
>posted in this thread.

Joseph Michael Straczynski would just be way too goddamned long a credit to
appear on a book...you'd need two volumes just for the name.

Joe Michael sounds weird.

Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple name
then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.

So you work your way up...just the one initial, J, then Michael, two syllables,
then you let fly with Straczynski. Thnk of it as a train, receding into the
distance, ten thousand letters, no vowels....

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
and don't send me story ideas)

The Nuclear Marine

nepročitano,
30. aug 2004. u 23:32:1530. 8. 2004.
za
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in

>>>Why is the "J" initial so freaking popular in comics and cartoons?
>>>How many of us actually know someone with a "J" initial?
>>
>>It just occurred to me...I'm surprised that J. Michael Straczynski
>>hasn't posted in this thread.
>
> Joseph Michael Straczynski would just be way too goddamned long a
> credit to appear on a book...you'd need two volumes just for the name.
>
> Joe Michael sounds weird.
>
> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice,
> simple name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would
> frighten cats.
>
> So you work your way up...just the one initial, J, then Michael, two
> syllables, then you let fly with Straczynski. Thnk of it as a train,
> receding into the distance, ten thousand letters, no vowels....
>
> jms

Sorry to do this to you here Joe.

http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-16901

The Marvel newsgroup must know the horrid truth.

Nuke

Matthew Vincent

nepročitano,
31. aug 2004. u 06:58:4931. 8. 2004.
za
The Nuclear Marine <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote:

<snip>

Hey, you forgot to show my reply where I corrected the original
poster's arithmetic. ;-)

I reckon Joseph Michael Straczynski might work well in a different
context, like when Jeffrey David Sinclair received his letter from
Valen with his full name on the envelope.

Matthew

Jon J. Yeager

nepročitano,
31. aug 2004. u 11:15:5631. 8. 2004.
za
"The Nuclear Marine" <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote in message

> Sorry to do this to you here Joe.
>
> http://www.jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?ID=1-16901

There's something very wrong with the simple fact that that page even
exists.

Karl Hiller

nepročitano,
31. aug 2004. u 15:48:5331. 8. 2004.
za
Jim wrote:
> "The Babaloughesian" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in news:2p6tofFh8urjU1
> @uni-berlin.de:

> > I know nobody with a J initial.

> My brother's middle name is "Jay".

My middle name is Jay. People often ask what it stands for. I enjoy the
ambiguity.

Daniel W. Johnson

nepročitano,
31. aug 2004. u 22:02:2231. 8. 2004.
za
Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple
> name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.

Have you tested that on Buddy?
--
Daniel W. Johnson
pano...@iquest.net

Jms at B5

nepročitano,
1. sep 2004. u 00:40:431. 9. 2004.
za
>> Joe Straczynski is too abrupt a transition, you think it's a nice, simple
>> name then it whaps you really hard. A name like that would frighten cats.
>
>Have you tested that on Buddy?

He heard me say it just once, on the phone.

I didn't see him again for six days.

Then the moving van showed up....

Ken from Chicago

nepročitano,
15. sep 2004. u 18:57:0315. 9. 2004.
za
In article <20040901004043...@mb-m15.aol.com>, jmsatb5
@aol.com says...

Gotta tell ya, I think you should go with the full name:

"Joseph Michael Straczynski".

It's big.

It's bold.

It takes up lots of space on the marquee.

Like "Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio", "Rebecca Romijn Stamos", "Sarah
Michelle Gellar", "Julia Louis Dreyfus", "Keenan Ivory Wayans", "Robert
Louis Stevenson", "Lois McMaster Bujold", "Sarah Jessica Parker", even
"Majel Barrett-Roddenberry", not to mention "Peter Allen David" or
"Brian Michael Bendis".

-- Ken from Chicago

0 novih poruka