Questions about Flash's speed vs Superman's + some on GL's ring

TheLargeCahoona

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I remember ins JLA
1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman? Is
this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to lend
Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever that
ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top speed is somewhere around
mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular except that you have
to set some limit to it and still be able to call it "super-speed".

While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One recent issue
of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles form on him,
yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like Diana. Maybe he was just
holding his breath a really long time during that scene, I don't know.

As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of considered it a
super-micro-computer that is powered by the green energy. I kind of like the
idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and downloads it to the power
battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous experiences stored in the
battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge. So for example, once
Kyle creates something really complicated with his ring, the next time he
needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has it in it's memory
banks.

Any thoughts on these topics?

Thanks,

TheLargeCahoona

--
"The only normal people are the ones you don't know too well." -Rodney
Dangerfield

Jason

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
TheLargeCahoona <nos...@myaddress.com> wrote in message

> Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I remember ins
JLA
> 1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman?
Is
> this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
> across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
> ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to
lend
> Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever
that
> ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top speed is somewhere
around
> mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular except that you have
> to set some limit to it and still be able to call it "super-speed".

Superman's speed tends to be relative to his mood. I don't think anyone
has ever really set an upperlimit on his speed abilites. Wally is far
faster without a question, and probably most of the speedsters are a tad
faster too, but that last part could be debated.

> While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One recent
issue
> of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles form on him,
> yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like Diana. Maybe he was just
> holding his breath a really long time during that scene, I don't know.

The writers don't seem to know either. Post-Crisis he could not breath
in outerspace, but could his breath for good long time. I remeber one
annual that remakarked on him breathing once an hour I think during a long
space voyage. However Post-death, there was a storyline that upped
Superman's powers, after that Superman flat out stated he did NOT need to
breath anymore in space when he turned down a breathing mask. That held
solid untill about six (?) months ago when they show Superman on Mars
clearly needing a mask to breath, no explanation why it was reduced, so I'm
assuming the writers and editors of Superman just forgot he doesn't need to
breath. Then part of the Mongul training was teaching him to hold his
breath longer so he could stay in space longer without air, again the
editors really dropped the ball. In order to power him up in that
storyline, they depowered him off panel first.

fan

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00

TheLargeCahoona wrote:

> Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I remember ins JLA
> 1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman? Is
> this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
> across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
> ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to lend
> Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever that
> ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top speed is somewhere around
> mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular except that you have
> to set some limit to it and still be able to call it "super-speed".

They've been pretty inconsistent about his top speed, but I'm
pretty sure he can move a *lot* faster than Mach 2 or 3. In
"The Return of Superman," for example, he thinks about the
fact that, before his 'death,' he could fly from coast to coast
in under four minutes. That's several dozen times faster than
Mach 2 . . . and, believe me, I've got other examples, none
of which are conclusive, but all of which are pretty suggestive.

Still, you're right, he's nowhere *near* Wally's speed.

> While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One recent issue
> of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles form on him,
> yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like Diana. Maybe he was just
> holding his breath a really long time during that scene, I don't know.

He's always been able to hold his breath for a really long time,
though he usually used the oxygen mask because he'd still run
out of air sooner or later. A half-year ago or so, he learned
that he could survive in airless space for a whole heck of a
lot longer, and has been known to act accordingly.

> As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of considered it a
> super-micro-computer that is powered by the green energy. I kind of like the
> idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and downloads it to the power
> battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous experiences stored in the
> battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge. So for example, once
> Kyle creates something really complicated with his ring, the next time he
> needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has it in it's memory
> banks.

That's an interesting thought; I guess the clincher would be
whether or not Kyle can effortlessly whip up Kryptonite
now after having done so once with tremendous assistance.
That's pretty much the only time I've seen him have trouble
creating anything for reasons other than the sheer amount
of willpower required . . .

So, under your theory, *Kyle* didn't learn and still doesn't
know the molecular structure of Kryptonite, but the ring and
lantern did and does and can replicate it on demand, right? If
you're right, that's one heck of a computer; maybe it could
develop an intellect to go with its many memories . . . ?

Matt Adams

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00

@lp.airnews.net...

> Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The
Flash? I remember ins JLA
> 1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally
asks Supes, "Superman? Is
> this a race?" I wondered about this statement then
because Wally can race
> across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has
never exhibited this
> ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange
storyline, Flash had to lend
> Supes some speed so that he could move faster than
light. (Or whatever that
> ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top
speed is somewhere around
> mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular
except that you have
> to set some limit to it and still be able to call it
"super-speed".

The Flash is probably faster than Superman, since he
beat the Man of Tomorrow in a race around the world
(and this was before he tapped into the Speed Force).
Nowadays, Wally would leave him eating dust...and if it
were a scene written by Morrison, it would be "quasi
9th dimensional zeta-particles tesseracting in right
planes to the dimensional strata" instead of normal
dust. =)

BTW, Superman can probably cook a LOT faster than Mach
3...even as far back as the Man of Steel miniseries he
went from Gotham City to near-Earth orbit in a matter
of a couple panels...you have to hit Mach 8 (IIRC) to
overcome Earth's gravity.

> While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or
not? One recent issue
> of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until
icicles form on him,
> yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like
Diana. Maybe he was just
> holding his breath a really long time during that
scene, I don't know.

Post-Crisis, Superman can hold his breath for a long
time, but definitely needs to breathe. I've got an
Annual that had him in space "taking a single breath
every two hours".

> As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of
considered it a
> super-micro-computer that is powered by the green
energy.

It's that and a whole lot more....

> I kind of like the
> idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and
downloads it to the power
> battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous
experiences stored in the
> battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge.
So for example, once
> Kyle creates something really complicated with his
ring, the next time he
> needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has
it in it's memory
> banks.

This I hadn't heard...I don't keep up with Green
Lantern as much as I used to. Where did it state this?
Cool idea.

Hope this helps,

Matt
http://www.geocities.com/rotsman

TheLargeCahoona

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00
It was never stated. It's just a theory that I've long held about the nature
of the ring. I think it opens a lot of possibilities for Kyle's use of the
ring too. You know, he does just keep getting better and better with it.
According to the DC timeline he's only had it for two years, and here of
late he's done some pretty impressive stuff with it. I personally don't
chalk that up to Kyle's intellectual abilities, since he never struck me as
being that bright.

Matt Stone

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00

"TheLargeCahoona" <nos...@myaddress.com> wrote in message

> Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I remember ins
JLA
> 1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman?
Is
> this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
> across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
> ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to
lend
> Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever
that
> ray thing was.)
Two things about the "race?" scene. One: Flash was running on water at the
time. While I'm positive he can still book on that medium, it probably is a
little more difficult than running on solid ground. In the Aquaman: Time
and Tide mini Barry got tripped up on some choppy water and Aquaman saved
him from drowning when he hit somthing (a shark?). So he could have been a
little stressed to be traveling at a speed that S-man was setting. Two:
Flash was probably jokingly asking if Superman was wanting to race since
they were probably traveling a little faster than the situation dictaded
necessary.

> As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of considered it a

> super-micro-computer that is powered by the green energy. I kind of like

the
> idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and downloads it to the
power
> battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous experiences stored in the
> battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge. So for example, once
> Kyle creates something really complicated with his ring, the next time he
> needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has it in it's memory
> banks.

The rings have always been a source of information for GL's, a database of
Corps knowledge (I know, bad pun). Problem is that we don't know if Kyle's
ring can talk or has this information in it still. As stated in Emerald
Twilight, "No query was made." Since Kyle hasn't really tried to, even
absent mindedly, converse with his ring in a way that would prompt a
response we don't know if the ring still has that information.

Matt Stone

Apr 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/21/00

"Matt Stone"

> As stated in Emerald
> Twilight, "No query was made." Since Kyle hasn't really tried to, even
Oops that's Emerald Dawn....

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>That's an interesting thought; I guess the clincher would be
>whether or not Kyle can effortlessly whip up Kryptonite
>now after having done so once with tremendous assistance.
>That's pretty much the only time I've seen him have trouble
>creating anything for reasons other than the sheer amount
>of willpower required . . .
>
>So, under your theory, *Kyle* didn't learn and still doesn't
>know the molecular structure of Kryptonite, but the ring and
>lantern did and does and can replicate it on demand, right? If
>you're right, that's one heck of a computer; maybe it could
>develop an intellect to go with its many memories . . . ?
Rings can talk. They -are- artificially intelligent already. It's
just that Hal never let his talk back to him (I think it's mostly at
the discretion of the writer).

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash?
I can almost garauntee you will *never* get a conclusive answer out
of this (unless you look at the RPG's, and that doesn't really count).

>I remember ins JLA
>1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman? Is
>this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
>across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
>ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to lend
>Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever that

>ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top speed is somewhere around
>mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular except that you have
>to set some limit to it and still be able to call it "super-speed".

Back in '90, Superman and Flash III raced around the world. They
were neck and neck the whole way, with Flash winning by a nose (or a
pectoral, if you want to get specific). At the time, the Who's Who
stated Flash's top speed was Mach 3 or 4 (can't remember which). I had
always taken this to mean that Supes was about the same. However, that
was 10 years ago, and Wally has gotten WAY faster. Now, my theory is
that TPTB have decreed that Superman hast to be slower than Flash
(otherwise what's the point of Flash?). So, now that Wally can reach
super-light speeds, Superman can probably push it to half light (but
only in space, for obvious reasons). Part of the rationale, here, is
that Superman seems to only be able to -think- at super-speeds for
limited amounts of time (I think it just takes a LOT of
concentration). Maintaining that kind of speed in a city, for example,
is very difficult. Wally, on the other hand, has proven himself to be
VERY maneouverable in tight environments (because he's totally
acclamated to thinking at Mach 6). That's my two cents (plus GST).

>While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One recent issue
>of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles form on him,
>yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like Diana. Maybe he was just
>holding his breath a really long time during that scene, I don't know.

No, he cannot. He can, however, hold his breath for hours without
needing oxygen. So, yes, he needs a tank to go no long hauls, but he
can make the Moon and back at a dead run no problem.

>As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of considered it a
>super-micro-computer that is powered by the green energy. I kind of like the
>idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and downloads it to the power
>battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous experiences stored in the
>battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge. So for example, once
>Kyle creates something really complicated with his ring, the next time he
>needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has it in it's memory
>banks.

This makes sense. The rings have always had access to the GL
Database (languages being the most common thing to access, of course).
Only stands to reason that the database is constantly being updated by
the field operatives... but now that there is no main battery on Oa,
it also stands to reason that Kyles rings and lantern are stand-alone
devices. With any luck, they've got the storage capacity to have kept
the records from the main database... which would make the ring not
only the most powerful weapon in the Universe, but the most valuable
object PERIOD. Think about it!

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>It was never stated. It's just a theory that I've long held about the nature
>of the ring. I think it opens a lot of possibilities for Kyle's use of the
>ring too. You know, he does just keep getting better and better with it.
>According to the DC timeline he's only had it for two years, and here of
>late he's done some pretty impressive stuff with it. I personally don't
>chalk that up to Kyle's intellectual abilities, since he never struck me as
>being that bright.
Well, as much as I don't really like Kyle all that much, it makes a
certain amount of sense that someone that creative would think of
things to do that Hal simply hadn't. Of course, a scientific mind
(pilots gotta know their physics) would think of all sorts of things
that creative minds wouldn't. I think the idea is that Hal was a hero
through and through. In his heart, that's who he was. That's what made
him the One True Green Lantern.
Kyle, on the other hand, may not have the heart, the soul of a hero,
but he's a genuinely good person, and (this is the important part)
he's just got the 'knack' for the ring. I think this is why Ganthet
picked him. The rings had always searched for people with no fear.
What if that's not the right criteria? What if you need to look for
someone with the kind of mind that will make the most of the ring?
This could still fit with Ganthet saying Kyle wasn't the best or the
worst.

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
> The writers don't seem to know either. Post-Crisis he could not breath
>in outerspace, but could his breath for good long time. I remeber one
>annual that remakarked on him breathing once an hour I think during a long
>space voyage. However Post-death, there was a storyline that upped
>Superman's powers, after that Superman flat out stated he did NOT need to
>breath anymore in space when he turned down a breathing mask. That held
>solid untill about six (?) months ago when they show Superman on Mars
>clearly needing a mask to breath, no explanation why it was reduced, so I'm
>assuming the writers and editors of Superman just forgot he doesn't need to
>breath.

I have a couple of theories here: first, Superman's powers being
upped that much was partly due to his overload. Much of that sheer
power was drained off into the Parasite. It's debatable what was left
in Clark after the fact. Maybe, for a little while, his body could
actually produce its own oxygen from solar energy. As his power-level
came back down to normal, however, he lost that particular ability.
The other thing I thought of was this: what if he found that he
could simply hold his breath a -lot- longer, and becuse it was such an
improvement, he honestly didn't realise that he still needed to breath
at all anymore. As the saying goes, you only miss it when it's gone!
Thing is it is logically impossible to 'breath' in space, since
there's nothing to breath (relatively speaking). For example, I've
always assumed that GL rings are programmed to create breathable
atmospheres. Now, we know that Superman's basic physiology needs
oxygen, so the only way he could survive indefinately in space is if
his body produced the ogygen itself (much as our bodies produce all
sorts of things we need... in fact, I beleive that the number of
vitamins we have to get from other places is actually smaller than the
number of vitamins we create ourselves!).

BHMarks

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>From: oki...@sfu.ca (Kal-El)

> Of course, a scientific mind
>(pilots gotta know their physics) would think of all sorts of things
>that creative minds wouldn't.

Ya know, I'm not sure I like the implications here . . . .

:-)

Bennet

BHMarks

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>From: oki...@sfu.ca (Kal-El)

>which would make the ring not
>only the most powerful weapon in the Universe, but the most valuable
>object PERIOD. Think about it!

I've always liked to think of it as, not the most powerful weapon in the
universe (although it can certainly be used that way), but as the most powerful
tool in the universe.

(As opposed to the biggest tool in the universe, about which there is much
debate.)

As ever,
Bennet

Les Bonser

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
No opinions on Flash vs Superman.

I don't know about the downloading to the power battery thing, but I
definitely think the GL rings have some sort of intellengence behind them;
probably akin to what we'd call a computer; and they have some sort of
memory.

But then, not having one at hand, I can't say for sure... :-)

Les

--
Les Bonser
Technical Writer and Amatuer Photographer

TheLargeCahoona <nos...@myaddress.com> wrote in message

> Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I remember ins

JLA
> 1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes, "Superman?
Is
> this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally can race
> across time, space and dimensions, but Superman has never exhibited this
> ability. Also later on, in the JLA Adam Strange storyline, Flash had to
lend
> Supes some speed so that he could move faster than light. (Or whatever
that
> ray thing was.) My opinion is that Superman's top speed is somewhere
around
> mach 2 or 3, and I base this on nothing in particular except that you have
> to set some limit to it and still be able to call it "super-speed".
>

> While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One recent
issue
> of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles form on him,
> yet in others he needs an oxygen mask just like Diana. Maybe he was just
> holding his breath a really long time during that scene, I don't know.
>

> As far as GL's ring goes, I've always kind of considered it a
> super-micro-computer that is powered by the green energy. I kind of like
the
> idea that whatever the ring does, it remembers and downloads it to the
power
> battery during recharge. Similarly, all previous experiences stored in the
> battery keep the ring up to date during a recharge. So for example, once
> Kyle creates something really complicated with his ring, the next time he
> needs to do it it's easy as pie, because the ring has it in it's memory
> banks.

Jason

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
Kal-El <oki...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

> > The writers don't seem to know either. Post-Crisis he could not
breath
> >in outerspace, but could his breath for good long time. I remeber one
> >annual that remakarked on him breathing once an hour I think during a
long
> >space voyage. However Post-death, there was a storyline that upped
> >Superman's powers, after that Superman flat out stated he did NOT need to
> >breath anymore in space when he turned down a breathing mask. That held
> >solid untill about six (?) months ago when they show Superman on Mars
> >clearly needing a mask to breath, no explanation why it was reduced, so
I'm
> >assuming the writers and editors of Superman just forgot he doesn't need
> >breath.
>
> I have a couple of theories here: first, Superman's powers being
> upped that much was partly due to his overload. Much of that sheer
> power was drained off into the Parasite. It's debatable what was left
> in Clark after the fact. Maybe, for a little while, his body could
> actually produce its own oxygen from solar energy. As his power-level
> came back down to normal, however, he lost that particular ability.

The statement he made was several months after Parasite had drained him
and he stabilized. This ability stayed for years before it was suddenly
dumped a couple issues back with no explanation, and the writers acting like
it was never there.

> The other thing I thought of was this: what if he found that he
> could simply hold his breath a -lot- longer, and becuse it was such an
> improvement, he honestly didn't realise that he still needed to breath
> at all anymore. As the saying goes, you only miss it when it's gone!

Which would still contradict the parts of his training by mongul for
deep space breathing.

> Thing is it is logically impossible to 'breath' in space, since
> there's nothing to breath (relatively speaking). For example, I've
> always assumed that GL rings are programmed to create breathable
> atmospheres. Now, we know that Superman's basic physiology needs
> oxygen, so the only way he could survive indefinately in space is if
> his body produced the ogygen itself (much as our bodies produce all
> sorts of things we need... in fact, I beleive that the number of
> vitamins we have to get from other places is actually smaller than the
> number of vitamins we create ourselves!).

Heh, well if we toss in the 'logic' and reality of things into comics..
they all far apart. :P

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
> The statement he made was several months after Parasite had drained him
>and he stabilized. This ability stayed for years before it was suddenly
>dumped a couple issues back with no explanation, and the writers acting like
>it was never there.
Ah. Well, never mind about that one!

> Which would still contradict the parts of his training by mongul for
>deep space breathing.

Didn't read this... but the fact remains you can't 'breath' in
space. If we want to create a plausable explanation, can we just say
that he's able to hold his breath a lot longer, and that up until
recently he didn't actually know what his maximum capacity was? >

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>> Of course, a scientific mind
>>(pilots gotta know their physics) would think of all sorts of things
>>that creative minds wouldn't.
>
>Ya know, I'm not sure I like the implications here . . . .
Why? I don't get it?

Kal-El

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>I've always liked to think of it as, not the most powerful weapon in the
>universe (although it can certainly be used that way), but as the most powerful
>tool in the universe.
Thank you! I like that a lot better, too.

>(As opposed to the biggest tool in the universe, about which there is much
>debate.)

We could start a newsgroup!

Jason

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
Kal-El <oki...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

Sure we can, and I have no problem with that explanation. My problem
is that he already had this ability for years, they write a storyline
talking about extending his abilites growing under Mongul's training,
specificily mentioning this point several times, when in the end they have
actually lowered his ability in this area.

His time in space with no fresh air is less after Mongul's training than
it was before the writers decided to power boost him. Does my explanation
make sense? It isn't with how it's explained, it's that the writers/editors
clearly dropped the ball in what the starting point was. It would be like
the new flash writer we got last month writing a big storyline where he
Increases the Flash's speed to mach 10, and makes him work hard to get that
new speed.

Omarichu

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
>His time in space with no fresh air is less after Mongul's training than
>it was before the writers decided to power boost him. Does my explanation
>make sense?

No.

>It would be like
>the new flash writer we got last month writing a big storyline where he
>Increases the Flash's speed to mach 10, and makes him work hard to get that
>new speed.

Nope. Superman has a wide range of abilities the absolute least of which is his
ability to hold his breath.

Jeff Troutman

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00

It's in your use of the words "scientific" and "creative". You're implying
that a mind that is one can't be the other.

Jeff Troutman

Jason

Apr 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/22/00
Omarichu <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message

Very good little boy. We were talking about one specific aspect of his
powers though. That specific part is claimed to be better, when it went
worse. Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?

Kal-El

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
>> Didn't read this... but the fact remains you can't 'breath' in
>> space. If we want to create a plausable explanation, can we just say
>> that he's able to hold his breath a lot longer, and that up until
>> recently he didn't actually know what his maximum capacity was? >
>
> Sure we can, and I have no problem with that explanation. My problem
>is that he already had this ability for years, they write a storyline
>talking about extending his abilites growing under Mongul's training,
>specificily mentioning this point several times, when in the end they have
>actually lowered his ability in this area.
>
> His time in space with no fresh air is less after Mongul's training than
>it was before the writers decided to power boost him. Does my explanation
>make sense? It isn't with how it's explained, it's that the writers/editors
>clearly dropped the ball in what the starting point was. It would be like

>the new flash writer we got last month writing a big storyline where he
>Increases the Flash's speed to mach 10, and makes him work hard to get that
>new speed.
Oh, I agree. They done screwed up. I would imagine they realised
that they'd extended his abilities past the point they wanted to, and
just decided to definitavely state that they weren't like that
anymore. It's probably more conscious than you think.
The thing I've realised about Superman is that he goes through
phases. The character is -so- old that you can't expect one version of
him to stick around for too long. It'll eventually get boring, or just
go out of favour with a particular audience. I read Supes for eight
years before the character had 'drifted' away from what I was used to,
and I wasn't interested in reading it anymore.
I also went from 13 years old to 18 years old. Since Supes is, I
think it's fair to say, aimed at younger (teen) readers (not that
there's anything wrong with 20 and 30-year-olds reading and enjoying
it!) that effect is even more pronounced because at the same time as
the character is 'drifting' the reader's expectations and
sophistication go up. That's how it went for me, anyway. I'd be remise
to imply that everybody has had my experience.

Kal-El

Apr 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/23/00
>> >Ya know, I'm not sure I like the implications here . . . .
>> Why? I don't get it?
>
>It's in your use of the words "scientific" and "creative". You're implying
>that a mind that is one can't be the other.

Oh! My apologies. I can see how that'd bug a person. Allow me to
rephrase:
Go ahead and replace 'scientific' with 'scientifically trained' and
'creative' with 'articistically trained'. That's the difference I was
trying to highlight.
I'd also add that the two are most definately -not- mutually
exclusive in the same person.

Jason

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

> > His time in space with no fresh air is less after Mongul's training
than
> >it was before the writers decided to power boost him. Does my
explanation
> >make sense? It isn't with how it's explained, it's that the
writers/editors
> >clearly dropped the ball in what the starting point was. It would be
like
> >the new flash writer we got last month writing a big storyline where he
> >Increases the Flash's speed to mach 10, and makes him work hard to get
that
> >new speed.
> Oh, I agree. They done screwed up. I would imagine they realised
> that they'd extended his abilities past the point they wanted to, and
> just decided to definitavely state that they weren't like that
> anymore. It's probably more conscious than you think.

I don't see that. I mean, I have no real problem with lowering his
ability here, it even makes more sense. But don't tell us you raised it
when you lowered it. It's consistancy and contiutity I'm looking for there.
Because they had definitavely stated his ability greater before. It may
have been conscious to set his ability at point X, but the obviously didn't
realize where it was at before they started writing.

> I also went from 13 years old to 18 years old. Since Supes is, I
> think it's fair to say, aimed at younger (teen) readers (not that
> there's anything wrong with 20 and 30-year-olds reading and enjoying
> it!) that effect is even more pronounced because at the same time as
> the character is 'drifting' the reader's expectations and
> sophistication go up. That's how it went for me, anyway. I'd be remise
> to imply that everybody has had my experience.

Well I'm 23, and personally I tend to think the quality went down more
than I drifted out of it's audience. I had gotten kind of hit and miss with
Superman, but I'm regular again with the new writers.

Omarichu

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
>Oh, I agree. They done screwed up

Not with such an unbelievably non-essential feature.

Omarichu

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
> But don't tell us you raised it
>when you lowered it. It's consistancy and contiutity I'm looking for there.

Jesus Christ, this is so non-essential to the stories that are being told in
the book that I can't believe you're not just being controversial to get a rise
out of people. If this is that important to you, comics are obviously not for
you.

Jason

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
Omarichu <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message

Your right, it is non-essential, but the original poster directly asked
about this, so it was kind of important to his answer. And we are just
discussing things in an overall way, you are the only one who seems to be
getting worked up about this. The rest of us are just having a nice
conversation.

fan

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

Kal-El wrote:

> >> Why? I don't get it?
> >
> >It's in your use of the words "scientific" and "creative". You're implying
> >that a mind that is one can't be the other.
> >
> Oh! My apologies. I can see how that'd bug a person. Allow me to
> rephrase:
> Go ahead and replace 'scientific' with 'scientifically trained' and
> 'creative' with 'articistically trained'. That's the difference I was
> trying to highlight.

Actually, I'd like to add a little something to the mix. Alan's
the "scientifically trained" guy (a successful engineer before
he acquired his ring and lantern), Kyle's the "artistically
trained" guy, and Hal was the "militarily trained" guy . . . ?

> I'd also add that the two are most definately -not- mutually
> exclusive in the same person.

Absolutely. Leonardo da Vinci was about as scientific
and artistic as *anyone* gets in either, and I seem to recall
that Albert Einstein played one mean violin . . .

Todd Kogutt

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00
Coming out of the GL ring as data storage thread, which is the greater resource,
the GL database or the Jr. Woodchuck guide book?

---SCAVENGER

fan

Apr 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/24/00

Todd Kogutt wrote:

> Coming out of the GL ring as data storage thread, which is the greater resource,
> the GL database or the Jr. Woodchuck guide book?

The Hong Kong book of Kung Fu.

Les Bonser

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
To name just two more cultural references: how about the "Hitchhiker's Guide
to the Galaxy," or those computers they use on every ship and starbase in
Star Trek? As Carson would say, "everything you always wanted to know is in
this computer..."

Les

--

Todd Kogutt <tko...@advtech.uswest.com> wrote in message

> Coming out of the GL ring as data storage thread, which is the greater
resource,
> the GL database or the Jr. Woodchuck guide book?
>

> ---SCAVENGER

Spooon

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:52:58 -0400, fan <I'mn...@thisaddress.com>
wrote:

>Todd Kogutt wrote:
>
>> Coming out of the GL ring as data storage thread, which is the greater resource,
>> the GL database or the Jr. Woodchuck guide book?
>

>The Hong Kong book of Kung Fu.

I think you mean the Hong Kong *Phooey* book of Kung Fu, Yes?

Re:SPOOONses are always welcome

Jim "Spooon" Henry
Spo...@juno.com
Hen...@uakron.edu

Robert Smithers, { k...@gnc.net },kindly archives my reviews at:
http://gnc.net/~kds/review.htm

FeelMyRing

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
minerva, from heinlein's books...

Peter!

eternally

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

Jason wrote:

> Omarichu <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Nope. Superman has a wide range of abilities the absolute least of which
> is his
> > ability to hold his breath.
>
> Very good little boy. We were talking about one specific aspect of his
> powers though. That specific part is claimed to be better, when it went
> worse. Reading comprehension isn't your strong point is it?

which is why most people just ignore him...

-= e.

Mr. O'Chen

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00
In article

t>, "TheLargeCahoona" <nos...@myaddress.com> wrote:
>Just exactly how fast is Superman compared to The Flash? I
remember ins JLA
>1, Wally and Supes are headed somewhere, and Wally asks Supes,
"Superman? Is
>this a race?" I wondered about this statement then because Wally
can race

I think that it's pretty much guaranteed that Wally's much faster
than Superman in a foot race. However, I believe that in the
scene you mentioned, Superman's flying, and the gap is a lot
smaller between Wally running and Superman flying. Wally's still
the fastest man alive, though. Most importantly for that scene,
though, I think that Grant Morrison was just sneaking in a nod to
all those historic Flash v. Superman races.

>While we're at it, can Supes breathe in outerspace or not? One
recent issue
>of JLA has him hovering in orbit over the earth until icicles
form on him,

I don't think that there's any contradiction with the whole
Mongol thing. Unless I'm missing something, if there's ice
forming on him, there must be some sort of atmosphere for him to
breath? I bet he's hovering just at the edge of the atmosphere.

Henry

fan

Apr 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/25/00

Spooon wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Apr 2000 18:52:58 -0400, fan <I'mn...@thisaddress.com>
> wrote:
>

> >Todd Kogutt wrote:
> >
> >> Coming out of the GL ring as data storage thread, which is the greater resource,
> >> the GL database or the Jr. Woodchuck guide book?
> >
> >The Hong Kong book of Kung Fu.
>
> I think you mean the Hong Kong *Phooey* book of Kung Fu, Yes?

It was Hong Kong Phooey's book, but wasn't it "The Hong Kong
Book of Kung Fu"?

Kal-El

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
>> Go ahead and replace 'scientific' with 'scientifically trained' and
>> 'creative' with 'articistically trained'. That's the difference I was
>> trying to highlight.
>
>Actually, I'd like to add a little something to the mix. Alan's
>the "scientifically trained" guy (a successful engineer before
>he acquired his ring and lantern), Kyle's the "artistically
>trained" guy, and Hal was the "militarily trained" guy . . . ?
Hmmm... that's a good point. I thought of Hal as 'scientifically
trained' because of all the physics and engineering that goes into
being a pilot (especially a pilot testing experimental aircraft), but
now that you mention it, military training is a whole other mind-set
entirely, isn't it? I mean, a scientist and an artist both have to be
damned creative, to -constantly- inovate if they want to be any good.
What is the most likely reaction of a military mind to a tool like a
GL ring? I don't want to reduce these characters to a one-dimensional
aspect, but I think it's an interesting tack to take in looking at
their personalities.

Kal-El

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
> Well I'm 23, and personally I tend to think the quality went down more
>than I drifted out of it's audience. I had gotten kind of hit and miss with
>Superman, but I'm regular again with the new writers.
I'm 23 as well. I stopped reading Supes in (let's see) 93? Just
after the 'Trial' thingy. I found that I just wasn't interested
anymore. It was the same old thing month after month. I -have- heard
really good things about the recent change in writers, though. Maybe
I'll give it a try again.
Do you suppose the air capacity thing was a product of new creative
staff sort of clearing the table for their run?

Jason

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Kal-El <oki...@sfu.ca> wrote in message

I was thinking about this one actually. And I realized why the new
creative team 'probably' made this mistake. Probably because I'm just
guessing based on the comics themselves. About three or four months before
the changeover, Superman went to mars and needed an airmask. The first time
it resurfaced in like 10 years (has it been that long since he died?). So
if the new writers editors went and read.. say one years previous, they got
Superman needing to breath, and may not have realized that was in fact a
mistake there. So they saw something and said let's upgrade that.
Granted.. someone somewhere should have known that issue was a screwup, but
how far back would they have to have read to know this minor detail. Now an
Editor probably should have.. but I don't know the policy, so this could
actually be the product of the previous teams screwup and it just got
carried over into the new teams without anyone realizing it, because.. well
they are all new.

Omarichu

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
>Granted.. someone somewhere should have known that issue was a screwup,

Do you realize how foolish you're looking calling this nitpick minutia bullshit
a screwup?

Jason

Apr 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/26/00
Omarichu <omar...@aol.com> wrote in message

Uhmm, it was a mistake made by the editors/writers or whomever. Granted
it's a minor issue, my original snipped post said that. But it's still a
mistake A.K.A screwup. Please explain how it's not a mistake. Or is simply
that anyone saying a writer can make mistakes (Oh my god, they're HUMAN!!!!)
is wrong?

TheLargeCahoona

Apr 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM4/28/00
PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE MAN NAMED OMAR...Daddy never gave him enough
attention. He attempts to get it here.

Come on Omar...I'm waiting with baited breath for your infantile retort.

TheLargeCahoona

"Jason" <see...@sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message