Laurence Fishburne Cast as Perry White

KalElFan

Aug 2, 2011, 11:49:15 PM8/2/11

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 3, 2011, 12:36:10 AM8/3/11
On 8/2/2011 8:49 PM, KalElFan wrote:
> More good casting and me like.
>
> http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/02/laurence-fishburne-perry-white-man-of-steel-exclusive/

I like it too.

Aint it Cool just posted some picks of Cavill on set, unfortunately not
in the costume.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/50659

Is that supposed to be Clark? Clark doesn't have the curl so I'm
guessing no.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 3, 2011, 9:09:24 AM8/3/11
In article <99rupp...@mid.individual.net>,
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

> More good casting and me like.

Me strongly dislike. But it's not like I was going to see this version
of Supe anyway... :/

--
"Am I a bird? No, I'm a bat. I'm Batman. Or am I? Yes, I am Batman."
- Abed as "Batman" on "Halloween", "Community", 10/29/09

Super-Menace

Aug 3, 2011, 9:12:52 AM8/3/11
In article <j1aj7o$p0q$1...@dont-email.me>, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

Thanks for the news and the link.

Fishburne is inspired casting. He can project the authority he needs
as Perry, and his presence will please all the Matrix people.

680 days to go.

Len-L

Aug 3, 2011, 9:35:01 AM8/3/11
On Wed, 03 Aug 2011 09:12:52 -0400, Super-Menace
<fort...@arctic.com.invalid> opined:

My problem is that sometimes I identify certain actors with certain
roles. For instance, every time I watch the first Lord of the Rings, I
hear Elrond calling Frodo "Mr Anderson."

Now, I'm going to be waiting for Perry White to be talking to Clark
about being "the one."

Anim8rFSK

Aug 3, 2011, 11:29:37 AM8/3/11
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-BE1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Me strongly dislike. But it's not like I was going to see this version
> of Supe anyway... :/

Yep

It's like they said OH MY GOD THERE'S A BLACK HISPANIC SPIDER-MAN QUICK
MAKE ANYBODY YOU CAN ON THE NEW SUPERMAN FILM BLACK OR HISPANIC AND
ANNOUNCE IT NOW NOW NOW NOW NOW YOU FOOLS NOW! It really seems unlikely
this just happened 2 days later by circumstance.

--
"Please, I can't die, I've never kissed an Asian woman!"
Shego on "Shat My Dad Says"

Ken from Chicago

Aug 3, 2011, 12:33:43 PM8/3/11

"Len-L" <len...@gmail.com> wrote in message

"Do you want the red kryptonite or the blue kryptonite?"

-- Ken from Chicago

KalElFan

Aug 3, 2011, 2:10:37 PM8/3/11
"Ian J. Ball" wrote in message

> Me strongly dislike. But it's not like I was going to see this version
> of Supe anyway... :/

On the bright side for them, you disliked Smallville when it was
riding high with 9-10 million viewers and stuck with it to the
bitter 2M-3M end. And Anim8r's the No Shat No Show guy.

But I don't think you're necessarily out of tune with the masses
here. It's a solid cast, but this is not Dark Knight or anywhere
close in terms of the perfect storm that surrounded that movie's
huge numbers.

KalElFan

Aug 3, 2011, 2:27:42 PM8/3/11
"Arthur Lipscomb" wrote in message news:j1aj7o$p0q$1...@dont-email.me...

It's probably just Cavill, but with the curl for when he'll be playing
Superman.

What I'm concerned about is what we know Warners is concerned
about, which is the copyright lawsuit. They know their chances of
losing are very real, and unlike some around here they know they
can't give a middle finger to a ninth circuit let alone SCOTUS ruling.
They're okay making this movie because they still have Shuster's
share, but if they want to preserve sequel chances they have to
do like the comnics are doing with this reboot.

That comics reboot is ENTIRELY designed to try to thread a needle
in one of the rulings that doesn't exist. But it's also set up that it
could plausibly go all the way and morph into some Not Superman,
legend-based kind of strong man character.

We know Nolan loves a close-to-reality feel to his movies. Snyder
has had the 300-type look, but even there alien planets in another
galaxy, and flying and time travel and all the rest don't really fit
his kind of movie. Inception and Sucker Punch both had reality-
bending elements, as did The Matrix series from Warners. Even
Cavill's biggest movie, prior to Man of Steel, will be the Immortals
this fall. It's another Greek mythology or legend-based movie.

So it's almost like there's a recipe here for DC Comics, Warners,
Nolan, Snyder, Cavill, even Crowe (Gladiator) to all see this being
as "real" as possible. Perhaps it has a somewhat retro-era, generic
ambience if you will, no particular place or time. I don't even see
Superman in the title anymore, just Man of Steel. Maybe the
sequel plan is Man of Tomorrow or some such, and Lois gets
killed off in the backstory because the estates will own her.

Krypton may even be the Fifth Planet with a new name, having
blown up to form the asteroid belt thousands of years ago, with
Kal-El and even Zod having arrived on Earth later via suspended
animation. I mentioned back in 2002 that a Fifth Planet / "local"
variation of the story would have been entirely in keeping with
the "Smallville" theme, but it might also suit their purposes
here. No need for galactic distances and the like, it just gets
worked into a local myth surrounding our solar system and
the gods of yore.

Bill Steele

Aug 3, 2011, 3:09:05 PM8/3/11
In article <99tia9...@mid.individual.net>,
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

> Krypton may even be the Fifth Planet with a new name, having
> blown up to form the asteroid belt thousands of years ago, with
> Kal-El and even Zod having arrived on Earth later via suspended
> animation. I mentioned back in 2002 that a Fifth Planet / "local"
> variation of the story would have been entirely in keeping with
> the "Smallville" theme, but it might also suit their purposes
> here. No need for galactic distances and the like, it just gets
> worked into a local myth surrounding our solar system and
> the gods of yore.

I kind of like that because it fits with the Golden Age concept. Kal-El
traveled in a *rocket*, and nobody much worried about how far away he
came from. The intergalactic stuff didn't show up until the first
movie.

Of course in the Golden Age fewer readers -- and probably even fewer
writers -- knew much about astronomy. In the Buck Rogers serial that
just ran on TCM you could fly to Saturn in about a half hour and walk
around there in normal gravity, breathing the atmosphere. And rocket
ships landed and took off in circles.

In the Flash Gordon comic strip (and the serial) there was a planet
Mongo in our solar system, so why not a Krypton?

KalElFan

Aug 3, 2011, 4:06:55 PM8/3/11
"Bill Steele" wrote in message

> In article <99tia9...@mid.individual.net>,
> "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Krypton may even be the Fifth Planet with a new name, having
>> blown up to form the asteroid belt thousands of years ago, with
>> Kal-El and even Zod having arrived on Earth later via suspended
>> animation. I mentioned back in 2002 that a Fifth Planet / "local"
>> variation of the story would have been entirely in keeping with
>> the "Smallville" theme, but it might also suit their purposes
>> here. No need for galactic distances and the like, it just gets
>> worked into a local myth surrounding our solar system and
>> the gods of yore.
>
> I kind of like that because it fits with the Golden Age concept.
> Kal-El traveled in a *rocket*, and nobody much worried about
> how far away he came from. The intergalactic stuff didn't show
> up until the first movie.

Yeah, I actually hated that part of the first Reeve movie. There's
just no need to take it intergalactic when there are a few hundred
billion stars in our Milky Way alone.

> Of course in the Golden Age fewer readers -- and probably even fewer
> writers -- knew much about astronomy. In the Buck Rogers serial that
> just ran on TCM you could fly to Saturn in about a half hour and walk
> around there in normal gravity, breathing the atmosphere. And rocket
> ships landed and took off in circles.
>
> In the Flash Gordon comic strip (and the serial) there was a planet
> Mongo in our solar system, so why not a Krypton?

It's been done before in fiction, see the second link here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_planet_(hypothetical)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_planets_of_the_Solar_System#Pha.C3.ABton

My Smallville post about it in 2002 was here:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.arts.tv/msg/6650decde8722ffe?hl=en

I actually didn't know it had been done in fiction before, or that there
was that Fifth Planet hypothesis. It's not really legitimate, but it can't
be disproven. :-) It came up on the Smallville group because the guy
I was responding to wanted a comet to be linked to Krypton. So the
only way I could plausibly make that work was to make Krypton local.
Since it blew up, asteriod belt former planet came to mind, with a
piece of that planet becoming a comet.

Then the long route suspended animation, and the mythology of the
gods, and the local nature of it, and it became ideal for Smallville.
Smallville itself had Metropolis just over yonder and all the mythos
seemed so condensed into the story. It'd be tailor made for what all
the players here probably want for Man of Steel as well though.

Rich

Aug 3, 2011, 11:07:44 PM8/3/11
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in

> More good casting and me like.
>
> http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/02/laurence-fishburne-perry-white-ma
> n-of-steel-exclusive/

As bad as casting him on CSI was.

Bill Steele

Aug 4, 2011, 3:50:28 PM8/4/11
In article <99to2o...@mid.individual.net>,
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I actually hated that part of the first Reeve movie. There's
> just no need to take it intergalactic when there are a few hundred
> billion stars in our Milky Way alone.

I don't think they established that Krypton was in another galaxy.
Jor-El just referred to the "accumulated knowledge of the four known
galaxies" or something like that.

And on Smallville we had a reference to the destruction of Krypton being
observed, which puts it pretty close. We have (barely) observed
extrasolar planets, but I don't think anyone has observed a planet in
another galaxy.

Of course Jor-El's statement, along with "Neither I nor my wife will
leave Krypton" creates a giant plot hole. If Krypton had routine FTL
travel that allowed the accumulation of knowledge from four galaxies,
there should be Kryptonians all over the universe. If nothing else, grad
students studying abroad. And earth, of course, would be a giant
amusement park.

David Johnston

Aug 4, 2011, 4:24:13 PM8/4/11

The conclusion I drew was that the Krypton was really insular and while
they had the capability of FTL travel they lacked the inclination. In
the comics one of the version of the origin has the Krytonian science
council having banned space travel because of the trouble caused by the
acquisition of phenomenal cosmic power and apparently Kryptonians have
really alien psychologies that caused them to obey said edict.

Super-Menace

Aug 4, 2011, 4:57:38 PM8/4/11
In article <j1ev4v$flk$1...@dont-email.me>, David Johnston
<Da...@block.net> wrote:

During the early Byrne era, it was established that Kryptonians
couldn't leave their home planet because, if they did, they'd die
excruciating deaths. They came up with something about Jor-El having
performed some sort of genetic realignment on the infant Kal-El so he
could be sent safely to Earth. They wrote themselves into a box with
that one.

Even during the Silver Age, Krypton had at least one spaceport, even
though it didn't have any space capability of its own.

Good take on that "eleven galaxies" thing. It's still ridiculous, but
nothing in it required Krypton to have been in another galaxy.

Ken from Chicago

Aug 4, 2011, 5:14:25 PM8/4/11
"Super-Menace" <fort...@arctic.com.invalid> wrote in message

Exploring space can be done quite well with robots, cheaper, faster, safer.

-- Ken from Chicago

Gill Smith

Aug 4, 2011, 5:39:49 PM8/4/11
OK, I finished the music

http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/new_Australian_National_Anthem/

now all we need is someone to make the film

boy, I can hardly wait until the money starts rolling in!

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

David Johnston

Aug 4, 2011, 5:56:28 PM8/4/11
On 8/4/2011 3:14 PM, Ken from Chicago wrote:

>> Even during the Silver Age, Krypton had at least one spaceport, even
>> though it didn't have any space capability of its own.
>>
>> Good take on that "eleven galaxies" thing. It's still ridiculous, but
>> nothing in it required Krypton to have been in another galaxy.
>
> Exploring space can be done quite well with robots, cheaper, faster, safer.

Not for Kryptonians.

KalElFan

Aug 4, 2011, 6:15:22 PM8/4/11

> In article <99to2o...@mid.individual.net>,
> "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Yeah, I actually hated that part of the first Reeve movie. There's
>> just no need to take it intergalactic when there are a few hundred
>> billion stars in our Milky Way alone.
>
> I don't think they established that Krypton was in another galaxy.

Yeah, they did in that rooftop date/interview scene with Lois. He
says "... another galaxy in fact..." when describing Krypton.

> And on Smallville we had a reference to the destruction of Krypton

> being observed...

Swann (played by Reeve) got radio signals, and visual observations
could have been of Krypton's star going supernova. We can see a
supernova even in another galaxy (if it's relatively close by galactic
standards). But really Smallville was just following the other-galaxy
part from the first Reeve movie.

> there should be Kryptonians all over the universe...

They were just xenophobic is the best way to make that part work.
As a general rule, they didn't want to be tourists and didn't much
like visitors.

Ken from Chicago

Aug 4, 2011, 7:24:53 PM8/4/11

"David Johnston" <Da...@block.net> wrote in message

Okay, they have ONE teensy accident with the Brain InterActive Construct,
but other than that ....

-- Ken from Chicago

Michael

Aug 4, 2011, 10:19:32 PM8/4/11
KalElFan wrote:

Since they're intent on doing the origin story yet again might as well
bring Luthor back. And if you're gonna do that I'd rather see Mr.
Fishburn as Lex.

Michael

HHH

Aug 5, 2011, 7:15:14 PM8/5/11

> More good casting and me like.
>
> http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/02/laurence-fishburne-per
> ry-white-man-of-steel-exclusive/

More anti-white racebending from the jews that control
Hollywood.

Super-Menace

Aug 5, 2011, 11:05:13 PM8/5/11
In article <Xns9F38C3A...@88.198.244.100>, HHH <h...@the.game>
wrote:

Ah. The country must be healing. Usually the racist assholes show up
a lot sooner than this.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Aug 6, 2011, 2:54:26 AM8/6/11

Wow, talk about oversold; you're supposed to be more subtle with
the bigot gimmick. Try again.

--

- ReFlex76

- <http://twitter.com/ReFlex76>

Len-L

Aug 6, 2011, 2:51:26 PM8/6/11
On Fri, 5 Aug 2011 23:15:14 +0000 (UTC), HHH <h...@the.game> opined:

No, no, you're confusing anti-white and anti-Christian. You must have
missed the last meeting.

Grimm

Aug 6, 2011, 7:50:25 PM8/6/11

> In article <Xns9F38C3A...@88.198.244.100>, HHH
> <h...@the.game> wrote:
>
>> "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in
>>
>> > More good casting and me like.
>> >
>> > http://insidemovies.ew.com/2011/08/02/laurence-fishburne-

>> > per ry-white-man-of-steel-exclusive/

>> More anti-white racebending from the jews that control
>> Hollywood.
>

> Ah. The country must be healing. Usually the racist
> assholes show up a lot sooner than this.

How is he a racist? The people behind the making of this movie
really did cast a black actor in a white role, hence the term
"racebending", and said people are in fact jewish in real
life.

Are you really that stupid that you think anyone telling the
truth about antiwhite racism is themselves a racist? Do you
think it is racist for a white person to be opposed to
antiwhite racism?

David Johnston

Aug 6, 2011, 8:54:59 PM8/6/11
On 8/6/2011 5:50 PM, Grimm wrote:
> Super-Menace<fort...@arctic.com.invalid> wrote in
>
>> In article<Xns9F38C3A...@88.198.244.100>, HHH
>> <h...@the.game> wrote:
>>
>>> "KalElFan"<kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote in

>>> More anti-white racebending from the jews that control
>>> Hollywood.
>>

>> Ah. The country must be healing. Usually the racist
>> assholes show up a lot sooner than this.
>
> How is he a racist? The people behind the making of this movie
> really did cast a black actor in a white role, hence the term
> "racebending", and said people are in fact jewish in real
> life.

And how is it anti-white to hand out a minor supporting role to a black
guy? Particularly in an update of a 1940s story where a black man could
not have had such a job but now can.

aemeijers

Aug 6, 2011, 11:24:41 PM8/6/11

I think the signature you meant to use is 2 keys over.

KalElFan

Aug 7, 2011, 8:15:46 PM8/7/11
"George Arctos" wrote in message news:j1gvf7$d73$1...@speranza.aioe.org...

> It looks like Krypton was in one of the Magellanic Clouds based on
> [the Superman Returns opening sequence]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nearest_galaxies#List

In the first Reeve movie, Jor-El referred to "the 28 known galaxies." He
and Kal-El also reach the Krypton system almost immediately after leaving
our galaxy. So Krypton's star was probably in one of the closest galaxies.
The Large Magellanic Cloud is the closest and brightest of those, so yeah
it's probably the best creative candidate for the location of Krypton in
the Reeve-Routh incarnation.

[KalElFan wrote}:

>> Swann (played by Reeve) got radio signals, and visual observations
>> could have been of Krypton's star going supernova.
>

> A hundred thousand years after it happened, given a location in the
> Magellanic Clouds.

Yes, which has 99% of the audience/viewership completely left behind
at that point. So all this is just an exercise in trying to make the thing
work from a pseudo-scientific point of view. Yes, it happened 100K+
years ago, but both the light from the supernova, and his physical
ship, only arrived within the last century or these last few decades.

> That means the trip was actually not that much faster than light,
> even if little subjective time passed. The trip back in Superman
> Returns took only five years as observed on Earth, though ...
> different (better) ship?

Or better wormhole tech, or discovery of a better wormhole, or
perhaps Kal-El's ship created two ends of a wormhole as it made
the initial trip. The trip would have been much faster in the SR
story had it not been for damage to the ship.

>> We can see a supernova even in another galaxy (if it's relatively
>> close by galactic standards).
>

> Actually, we've seen supernovae at very large distances -- billions
> of light years.

In modern telescopes and with Hubble and so on yes. But in most
of these Superman stories they go back decades, e.g. to 1938, when
they mention the destruction of Krypton having been seen. So I
think it has to be a close enough galaxy that naked eye or small
telescopes could have seen the brightening and taken note of it.
Since Jor-El talked about the 28 known galaxies, we know it's at
least in our Local Group.

There's also the problem of kryptonite -- pieces of the planet -- just
happening to have arrived at the same time. If they go intergalactic,
or even just another star in our galaxy, the only way the kryptonite
got here was if it was carried along in the warp field of Kal-El's ship,
or came along through the wormhole in the ship's wake.

Bill Steele

Aug 8, 2011, 3:07:50 PM8/8/11
In article <9a8o7r...@mid.individual.net>,
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

> There's also the problem of kryptonite -- pieces of the planet -- just
> happening to have arrived at the same time. If they go intergalactic,
> or even just another star in our galaxy, the only way the kryptonite
> got here was if it was carried along in the warp field of Kal-El's ship,
> or came along through the wormhole in the ship's wake.

That seems to be the most common contemporary explanation after they
abandoned the extra planet in the solar system idea, although wasn't
there a secondary meteor shower on Smallville when Clark was grown up?

If we ever need a compromise we could put Krypton in the Centauri
system; you could do it in a little over four years at sublight speed.
Dunno how you'd get the rocks here, though.

Len-L

Aug 9, 2011, 9:47:08 AM8/9/11
On Mon, 08 Aug 2011 15:07:50 -0400, Bill Steele <ws...@cornell.edu>
opined:

>In article <9a8o7r...@mid.individual.net>,
> "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
>
>> There's also the problem of kryptonite -- pieces of the planet -- just
>> happening to have arrived at the same time. If they go intergalactic,
>> or even just another star in our galaxy, the only way the kryptonite
>> got here was if it was carried along in the warp field of Kal-El's ship,
>> or came along through the wormhole in the ship's wake.
>
>That seems to be the most common contemporary explanation after they
>abandoned the extra planet in the solar system idea, although wasn't
>there a secondary meteor shower on Smallville when Clark was grown up?

The secondary meteor shower accompanied Kara Zor-el's rocket when she
arrived.

Madlove

Aug 9, 2011, 11:28:49 AM8/9/11
KalElFan wrote:
> "Bill Steele" wrote in message
>
>> In article <99to2o...@mid.individual.net>,
>> "KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, I actually hated that part of the first Reeve movie. There's
>>> just no need to take it intergalactic when there are a few hundred
>>> billion stars in our Milky Way alone.
>>
>> I don't think they established that Krypton was in another galaxy.
>
> Yeah, they did in that rooftop date/interview scene with Lois. He
> says "... another galaxy in fact..." when describing Krypton.

When Clark told Chloe about his past he said, "I wasn't born anywhere near
this galaxy."

Kenneth M. Lin

Aug 9, 2011, 3:11:46 PM8/9/11
In article <99rupp...@mid.individual.net>,
"KalElFan" <kale...@yanospamhoo.com> wrote:

> More good casting and me like.

What will his catch phrase be? "Great Tina Turner's ass"?

Captain Infinity

Aug 9, 2011, 8:42:27 PM8/9/11
Once Upon A Time,
Kenneth M. Lin wrote:

"I want these motherfucking snakes out of my motherfucking newspaper!"

**
Captain Infinity

Merrick Baldelli

Aug 10, 2011, 10:14:03 AM8/10/11

You know.. Even though I recognize where this quote comes
from, I can't help but read it as though Samuel L Jackson is the one
saying this.

Particularly given I'm remembering more fondly, "shut the fuck
up fat man, this ain't none of your goddamn business."

--
_( (_ , '_ * . Merrick Baldelli