Penguin 60s, anyone?

DeLong

Oct 12, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/12/95
I saw a rather uneven article in the Washington Post books section this
weekend about the Penguin 60s series, and I'd like to know if the
resident experts of r.a.b have anything to say about the series.

I'm tempted to break my piggy bank and hunt down the whole series,
because I love Penguins in general and am hopelessly fixated on the
dignified little penguin and his own private shade of orange, and
because I suspect I'll live long enough to wish I'd bought most of them.
--
365 days hath September.

Joan Myers

Oct 14, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/14/95
I've already bought several of the little devils. I'm in something of a
quandary because they don't fit on my bookshelves easily. On the other
hand, now that I've started buying them OH MY GOD I CAN'T STOP!!!

K. Harper

Oct 15, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/15/95
I'm not sure how I feel about the Penguin 60s series. On one hand,
they're terrific for introducing children and non-readers to literature
(they're small, so what's inside can't be *too* horrible). I may invest
in a few for stocking-stuffers for my young relatives.

On the other hand, why spend a dollar on one Edgar Allan Poe tale when
you can get TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION in its entirety at a
used-book store for two?

Michael & Kim

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
The best thing abnout these little puppies is that you can read them in
the bath without getting sore arms or biung too scared that you migght
drop 'em. BTW I was not [reviously familiar with Dirk Bogarde's
auto-bio: who is Forwood?

Michael

Roy Johnson

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95
In article: <45ravr$p...@infoserver.bgsu.edu> "K. Harper" <kha...@bgnet.bgsu.edu> writes:

> On the other hand, why spend a dollar on one Edgar Allan Poe tale when
> you can get TALES OF MYSTERY AND IMAGINATION in its entirety at a
> used-book store for two?

In the UK, Penguin have a classics series (as do Wordsworth and Dover)
which include complete collections of poetry and prose by standard authors.
these retail at only a few pence more than the 60s series

you might be able to slip these little books in your shirt pocket, and they
might be quite cheap, but in terms of value per poem or story - they're crap
--
Dr Roy Johnson | R...@mantex.demon.co.uk
PO Box 100 | Tel +44 0161 432 5811

A.M.Mair

Oct 16, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/16/95

There is definitely more than one series -
The Financial Times Newspaper is telling us about
another 60 books in an elegant black matt set,
which we can try to win, by sending a postcard
to Penguin books by Friday october 27th 1995
to enter their free draw.

This is confined to residents of the UK only.

There are sixty sets to be won.

Or by collecting tokens from the Financial Times
we can have up to three books free - postage only
- as well as entering the prize draw.

I think I've got the six tokens for my books, just have to assemble
them + fill out the application.

Ann
by learning and courtesy

p.s. I hope it goes as well as the offer from Texas Instruments
for an organiser. The organiser is going very well - I'm using it to take
lecture notes!

S Glass

Oct 17, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/17/95
penguin 60s are great. i'm mean and lazy - i don't buy that many books and
rarely
get round to searching out books in libraries - but these little books for the
price of quality newspaper (almost), certainly less than a birthdaycard so they
make perfect impromptu presents, are absolutely irresistable. i've particularly
enjoyed camille paglia's intro to sexual personae (altho' having since read the
entire book along with vamps...mmm she's a little too unrigorous for my taste)
and the poppy z brite shortstory collection.

i'm also a fan of jl carr's little books - collections of poetry (swinburn,
blake, wilfred owen etc) and eccentric lists (great cricketers, pretenders to
the throne, eponyms etc) which cost more than the penguin 60s but have more
charm. perfect (as are the penguin 60s) for, in carr's own estimation, slipping
into the palm during boring speeches or church services. not that i let myself
in for many of those.

Alan Backhouse

Oct 19, 1995, 3:00:00 AM10/19/95
I have read 43 of the 'little book' so far and am working my way into the
rest at a slower rate. So far the biggest thrill I have had was the
discovery of Poppy Z. Brite. I went straight out and bought the
'collected works' - needless to say these have been responsible for the
slowing down of my 'smaller' reading.

AB