Anime RPG's

P-Chan

Sep 8, 1994, 1:23:08 PM9/8/94

Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,
or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
P-Chan

Ray Huang

Sep 8, 1994, 4:43:40 PM9/8/94
In article <0908199...@pil.ness.com>, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan)
wrote:

> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,
> or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
> P-Chan

There's a Ranma RPG video game available for the SFC.

Ray

Colin Pascal

Sep 8, 1994, 8:34:28 PM9/8/94

Well, there's the action game "Leather And Lace", the RPG "Dragon Warrior
3" (????), and another game, which is a spy type game. all is done in
anime style.

Colin.
--
Holy mother earth | GB/GCS/GM d---- H+(-) s+:+ g+++ p? !au a-- a15 w+++
Crying into space | v? C++++ P? !L !3 E? N+++(++) K--- W M-- !V po---

Donny Chan

Sep 9, 1994, 6:44:00 PM9/9/94
PM>From: p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan)

PM> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,
PM>or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.

I have some. If you want the latest info, try to find these Japanese
RPG magazines: Dragon and RPG.
---
* DeLuxe2 1.21 #6922 * Phantasmagoria BBS, Toronto, Ontario, 416-231-9392

Bradley D. Bellows

Sep 9, 1994, 9:03:07 PM9/9/94

In a previous article, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan) says:

The "MEKTON" series by R. Talsorian games is quite interesting for
creating mecha-based anime RPGs, but I'm not sure what gaming system would
be appropriate for the ones you listed. Perhaps you should try a
modified GURPS system...

Brad (waiting for Gundam) Bellows
--
Have a seat while I take to the sky... Tori Amos

Josh Swickard

Sep 9, 1994, 9:33:51 PM9/9/94

: Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,

: or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
: P-Chan
Well, there's the so-so Macross II RPG pencil/paper... and the Final
Fantasy III for SNES will be out soon, supposed to be very anime..

Lant

--
"I'm not a real ninja, but I play one on TV" - MST3k
---

mso...@news.delphi.com

Sep 9, 1994, 10:56:25 PM9/9/94

Although it is very simplistic, R.Talsorian's TEENAGERS FROM OUTERSPACE
is seemingly designed with Urusei Yatsura in mind, and could be used to
fit the other shows that you mentioned.

-Matt-

Zarli Win

Sep 10, 1994, 7:09:04 AM9/10/94
For any super powered game champions is a good shot. I made
a saple Ranma and Ryouga a while back just for humor value.

--
____|____ Zarli "Shiryu" Win
_\_____/_ UH Manoa

Dave Zyn

Sep 10, 1994, 2:05:32 PM9/10/94
Be on the look out for Zen and the Art of Mayhem, a
roleplaying game currently being playtested for the market. The game is
heavly influnced by anime and other science fiction and fantasy
comidees. The system is being geared towards simple and fast rules, Yet
the characters are well deatiled out. Each charter having a talnets to
help them out. And flaws to blance out their power levels.
Even the combat sytem is easy to use, Yet has rules for specail
martial arts and super Ki attacks. Allowing people to have knock down
beatem ups like Ranma and Dragonball. However the game will not be fully
ready till next years Gen Comn. So you wiull have to wait (Or unless
your lucky enough to be a playtester at a convention.

Dave Zyn
Life is Wonderful
Everyone Has a Soul
Have a Nice Day

Christopher Sean Jackson

Sep 10, 1994, 5:05:54 PM9/10/94

OK, I'm interested. Any news about who's writing it, or the
publishing company. I don't seem to have the resources to blow
hauling myself all the way to Wisconsin (Sp?) just to go to T$R's yearly
spectacle (Sp?).
I've tried Champions, and it worked out OK (Might have
been better with a GM who'd actually seen enough of the genre.) TFOS,
I've never played, so I can't give a ruling either way. Toon, while fun,
can't really convey the feel well enough.

| Christopher Jackson | Where your eyes don't go, |
| jac...@decster.uta.edu | A part of you is hovering. |
| | It's a nightmare that you'll |
| | Never be discovering... |
| | -They Might Be Giants |
GSS/ED d- H- s+:++ g+ p? au a- w- v++(*) C+>++ UU+ !P !L
!3 E N++ K- W-- M- V- po+(---) Y++ t_:- 5++ j_(++) R++>+++
G+ tv b++ D+ B--- e+(*) U(---)++ H+(*) f+ r-- !n(+) !y+

Maelstrom Hobby

Sep 11, 1994, 8:51:37 PM9/11/94
If you're looking for mecha style RPG's with an anime twist, you should
check out Mekton (R. Talisorian), Heavy Gear (Ianus/Dream Pod 9), or our
game, Marauder 2107.

While I can't vouch for the first two, the latter book, created by us,
isn't limited to just mecha. We also incorporate cybernetics (for a
slightly cyberpunkish feel) and Breeders (which are genetically-altered
creatures bringing a demonic and horrific element to the game).

At Origins 95 (June), we're planning to release the sci-fi/horror RPG,
"Night Runners" which is based in part on "Silent Mobius".

Note: Ianus/Dream Pod 9 will also be releasing a "Project A-ko" RPG
through a contract with US Manga Corps. (Info taken from The Games
Quarterly Catalog #11 indicated it was to be released in August.)

| mho...@netcom.com |
| |
| MAELSTROM HOBBY 4124 Wilson Lane CONCORD, CA 94521 |

Marc-Alex Vezina

Sep 11, 1994, 11:20:26 AM9/11/94
P-Chan (p-c...@pil.ness.com) wrote:
: Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,

: or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.

Well, there's the _Project A-Ko_ RPG coming out in early October... It's
a "paper" RPG but it also include a combat card game (for those great
A-Ko/B-Ko showdowns).

--
Marc A. Vezina vm...@vectrex.login.qc.ca
Editor, Writer, and known Mechahead

Nessie Rilveria

Sep 11, 1994, 5:49:00 PM9/11/94
While sneaking a peek at Lum, Nessie remembers Re: Anime RPG's

CP> In a previous article, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan) says:

> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,
>or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.

>P-Chan

CP> Well, there's the action game "Leather And Lace", the RPG "Dragon
CP> Warrior 3" (????), and another game, which is a spy type game. all is
CP> done in anime style.

CP> Colin.

I'm sorry to inform you... but thats "Metal and Lace: Battle of the
Robo Babes," and Dragon Knight III <aka, new title because of TSR,
Knights of Xentar>, and the Last one is Cobra Mission.

Metal and Lace is available in two formats NR-13, and NR-18.
$49.95 Suggested retail price NR-13 version
Mail in order for NR-18 UPGRADE Disk $5.00
8 1.44meg disks, 15-20 megs Uncompressed

Adult orientated, Anime Street Fighter game with a
sexy twist.

Knights of Xentar is available on two formats NR-13, and NR-18
CD-ROM And 1.44meg disks
$69.95 is the suggested retail price
Mail in order for NR-18 UPGRADE Disk $5.00
Adult theme, based on the Anime, and previous GAMES
Not currently on market because of shipping problems
and other such discrepencies.. I've logged on to The
MegaTech BBS and have been following up on latest
developments...

Cobra Mission is available only on NR-18 version..
6 1.44meg disks 15-20 megs Uncompressed
$69.95 suggested retail price
High Adult content, Detective on a sexual rampage to
put it lightly.

Note: all the Games are produced for the IBM PC, and compatibles
Sorry Mac's.. :)

For more information
MegaTech BBS
310-539-7739
5 Nodes

Running Under Wildcat!(TM) software
2400-14.4BPS MNP v.32 and v.42

24 HOUR BBS

Download free Megatech Game Demos
free hint books, and strategy guides
Get info. on the latest game release

Callers: This is a FREE game support BBS. No fee is involved except
for toll charges <long distance Call charges> (if any).

Or snail mail for Newest Catalog

MegaTech Software
P.O. Box 11333
Torrance, CA 90510

1-800-258-MEGA (6342)

... Now the only thing to do, is wait for the next MegaTech game!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Zachery Gaskins

Sep 11, 1994, 4:58:54 PM9/11/94
p> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic
cards,
p> or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
p> P-Chan

Well there's a Kimagure Orange Road experimental RPG that originated in
the Nappa Valley Anime Group.....

I'll insert it into a future message.

--
|Fidonet: Zachery Gaskins 1:133/611
|Internet: Zachery...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us

| From SDBBS +1-404-333-8554 "What?, me worry?, it's only Kei and Yuri."

timothy k istian soholt

Sep 12, 1994, 3:22:46 PM9/12/94
Bradley D. Bellows <aj...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> writes:

>In a previous article, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan) says:

>> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,
>>or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
>>P-Chan

> The "MEKTON" series by R. Talsorian games is quite interesting for
>creating mecha-based anime RPGs, but I'm not sure what gaming system would
>be appropriate for the ones you listed. Perhaps you should try a
>modified GURPS system...

I've sort of half worked out a lot of the _Ranma 1/2_ characters for
GURPS; the disadvantages were surprisingly easy to define for most of
them (still need to work out No Direction Sense in game terms, though).
I'd think GURPS would be ideal for a _Dirty Pair_-type game, as long as
you make heavy use of the cinematic combat options.

Oh, and a friend is thinking of creating either Shampoo or Kuno for a
CHAMPIONS game we're both in. Scaaary!

-- Tim Soholt (xoa...@unm.edu)

Gautama Buddha

Sep 12, 1994, 4:37:55 PM9/12/94
In article <735_940...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us>,

Zachery Gaskins <Zachery...@anjhurin.atl.ga.us> wrote:
> p> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic
> p> cards, or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.

> p> P-Chan
>Well there's a Kimagure Orange Road experimental RPG that originated in
>the Nappa Valley Anime Group.....

There was another KOR RPG out there, designed by Totoro Hunter Leto II --
(yes, the same guy who wrote RoboSmut :) apparently now a member, maybe
always had been, of Seishun Shitemasu. Pretty funky game ... it works.

As for other Anime-esque RPGs, let's see ... there's the Wessoman RPG,
created by the very excellent Antony Hernandez and Distorted Perceptions.
This is the only game I've ever seen that includes a rule to shove a can of
vienna sausages up a player's ass if they're being a jerk. :)

--
D R A G O N B A L L Z L I B E R A T I O N F R O N T
suk...@netcom.com, Capsule Corporation

toms...@ax.com

Sep 13, 1994, 12:22:20 AM9/13/94

IZ>For any super powered game champions is a good shot. I made
IZ>a saple Ranma and Ryouga a while back just for humor value.
For ANY type of game, from Sci-fi (esp mecha) to Fantasy to
Cyber, it works better than any other game system out with the possible
exception of GURPS. I have nver had a problem when trying to simulate
somethig from an Anime with the Hero sys. I heartily recommend it!!

Tom Servo

William Silvey

Sep 13, 1994, 1:14:29 AM9/13/94
On Sat 10-Sep-1994 1:03a, Bradley D. Bellows wrote:

BB> In a previous article, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan) says:

BB> > Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic
BB> cards,
BB> >or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
^^^^^^^^^^
Champions. Just buy an unbeliveable s---tload of LUCK. Like, 80d6. Offset
it with 80d6 of UNLUCK, area affect, armor piercing penetrating no natural
defense hole-in-the-middle always on zero endurance cost no concious control
UNLUCK. [fellow Champions fiends will get this...]

BB> >P-Chan

BB> The "MEKTON" series by R. Talsorian games is quite interesting for
BB> creating mecha-based anime RPGs, but I'm not sure what gaming system would
BB> be appropriate for the ones you listed. Perhaps you should try a
BB> modified GURPS system...

BB> Brad (waiting for Gundam) Bellows
BB> --
BB> Have a seat while I take to the sky... Tori Amos

]--"Well of _course_ Courtney Love is----|-()()-CAUTION: THIS .SIG-|-----[
]--on AOL. Any IDIOT can use AOL."-Me.---|--()--IS BIOHAZARDOUS!---|-----[
]The opinions expressed above, below, et al., are not those of Online----[
]Orlando. tHe mAstER wOulD NOt ApProVe.-| WRITE ME! wsi...@oo.com------[
[-------Intel inside, idiot outside--et tu, Newtek?--then fall, Amiga----]

Marc-Alex Vezina

Sep 12, 1994, 8:50:55 PM9/12/94
Maelstrom Hobby (mho...@netcom.com) wrote:
: Note: Ianus/Dream Pod 9 will also be releasing a "Project A-ko" RPG

: through a contract with US Manga Corps. (Info taken from The Games
: Quarterly Catalog #11 indicated it was to be released in August.)

The release date has been moved to October in order to come up with a
better product. (Honest! ^_^'') Thanks for the mention! :)

stus...@eku.acs.eku.edu

Sep 14, 1994, 11:23:41 AM9/14/94

By the Way: As I've mentioned before on this channel, the stats for A-Ko
already exist in Champions, thanks to game designer Rod Smith (a friend
of mine). Look in the module "Neutral Ground" or its update, "Classic
Organizations". The character's name is Charcoal (If you play Champions,
you'll get the pun). For those who have the module, corrections to the
character histories (those who have read them know what I'm talking
about), E-mail me and I'll send you the author's address.

--Stan Bundy (stus...@eku.edu)

stus...@eku.acs.eku.edu

Sep 14, 1994, 6:43:38 PM9/14/94

Come to think of it, if you scrounge around used game bins, you might
find the old Champions/Hero Games supplement (I think was called) Robot
Warriors. Bam! Instant Mecha rules. Of course, straight (heroic)
Champions players always complained that the design rules made the mecha
too powerful. But, then, when has there ever been a mecha that wasn't
exaggerated in real anime?

Stan Bundy

"I can see it now; Minmei saying 'My name is a killing word...'"
- Review of vocal instrumecha from Lancer's Rockers,
by the boys at Protoculture Addicts (Issue #10)

Benjamin Turner

Sep 13, 1994, 6:20:00 PM9/13/94
NR> I'm sorry to inform you... but thats "Metal and Lace: Battle of the
NR> Robo Babes," and Dragon Knight III <aka, new title because of TSR,
NR> Knights of Xentar>, and the Last one is Cobra Mission.

NR> Metal and Lace is available in two formats NR-13, and NR-18.
NR> $49.95 Suggested retail price NR-13 version
NR> Mail in order for NR-18 UPGRADE Disk $5.00
NR> 8 1.44meg disks, 15-20 megs Uncompressed

NR> Adult orientated, Anime Street Fighter game with a
NR> sexy twist.

NR> Knights of Xentar is available on two formats NR-13, and NR-18
NR> CD-ROM And 1.44meg disks
NR> $69.95 is the suggested retail price
NR> Mail in order for NR-18 UPGRADE Disk $5.00
NR> Adult theme, based on the Anime, and previous GAMES
NR> Not currently on market because of shipping problems
NR> and other such discrepencies.. I've logged on to The
NR> MegaTech BBS and have been following up on latest
NR> developments...

NR> Cobra Mission is available only on NR-18 version..
NR> 6 1.44meg disks 15-20 megs Uncompressed
NR> $69.95 suggested retail price
NR> High Adult content, Detective on a sexual rampage to
NR> put it lightly.

NR> Note: all the Games are produced for the IBM PC, and compatibles
NR> Sorry Mac's.. :)

NR> For more information
NR> MegaTech BBS
NR> 310-539-7739
NR> 5 Nodes

NR> Running Under Wildcat!(TM) software
NR> 2400-14.4BPS MNP v.32 and v.42

NR> 24 HOUR BBS

NR> Download free Megatech Game Demos
NR> free hint books, and strategy guides
NR> Get info. on the latest game release

NR> Callers: This is a FREE game support BBS. No fee is involved except
NR> for toll charges <long distance Call charges> (if any).

NR> Or snail mail for Newest Catalog

NR> MegaTech Software
NR> P.O. Box 11333
NR> Torrance, CA 90510

NR> 1-800-258-MEGA (6342)

NR> ... Now the only thing to do, is wait for the next MegaTech game!
NR> ___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU, A MEGATECH SALESMAN?! Jeez, you're quoting stuff
right from their catalog! I should warn everyone that unless you're looking
for porn, these games are not for you. ESPECIALLY Metal & Lace. The
gameplay is INCREDIBLY monotonous. If you're just looking for a good
fighting game, this ain't it. NONE of these games have anything to do
with any Anime, except Dragon Knight III (renamed to Knights of Xentar),
which is based on a pornographic Anime video.

If you want a good Anime RPG, I have a text file (rather ENORMOUS, tho)
describing rules for a pencil & paper RPG based on KOR. Created by an
Otaku. I haven't tried playing it since none of my friends are really
into Anime, but it looks like a pretty good game.

-Benjamin Turner, The Sixth Planeteer, Otaku-Wannabe

... So many hentais, so little ammo.
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Bruce Buckham

Sep 15, 1994, 3:13:49 AM9/15/94

On Wed, 14 Sep 1994, Benjamin Turner wrote:

> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU, A MEGATECH SALESMAN?! Jeez, you're quoting stuff
> right from their catalog! I should warn everyone that unless you're looking
> for porn, these games are not for you. ESPECIALLY Metal & Lace. The
> gameplay is INCREDIBLY monotonous. If you're just looking for a good
> fighting game, this ain't it. NONE of these games have anything to do
> with any Anime, except Dragon Knight III (renamed to Knights of Xentar),
> which is based on a pornographic Anime video.

Wrong. Dragon Knight was a Japanese video game first and then it was
made into Anime.

Bruce

Genryu

Sep 16, 1994, 3:29:36 AM9/16/94
For Ranma, the Street Fighter II RPG that I read a while back in this
newsgroup might be useful...but I don't have it so I can't say for sure.

BTW, I dropped by LA Books Nippan and discovered a Gundam RPG in Japanese
(I knew it was an RPG because it said so in English...there was a Gundam V
supplement too I think). Could be interesting if someone sat down and
translated it...

--Scott

Garton Joshua R

Sep 16, 1994, 6:26:23 PM9/16/94
P-Chan (p-c...@pil.ness.com) wrote:

: Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic cards,

: or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
: P-Chan

The game _Teen Agers From Outer Space_ ([TFOS] No relation to the movie
of the same title, yech!) seems to be based, at least partially, on _Urusei
Yatsura_. At least, it fits the style well. It also closely parellels Ben
Dunn's manga series, _Ninja High School_ which isn't surprising since Ben
Based his on _Urusei Yatsura_. The game could easily work for a A-ko style
as well. Be warned: it is on the wacky side. Maybe that's a good thing?

Joshua Garton
jrg...@nic.smsu.edu

stus...@eku.acs.eku.edu

Sep 16, 1994, 2:43:21 AM9/16/94
In article <wsilve...@oo.com>, wsi...@oo.com (William Silvey) writes:
> On Sat 10-Sep-1994 1:03a, Bradley D. Bellows wrote:
>
> BB> In a previous article, p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan) says:
>
> BB> > Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic
> BB> cards,
> BB> >or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
> Champions. Just buy an unbeliveable s---tload of LUCK. Like, 80d6. Offset
> it with 80d6 of UNLUCK, area affect, armor piercing penetrating no natural
> defense hole-in-the-middle always on zero endurance cost no concious control
> UNLUCK. [fellow Champions fiends will get this...]

Wouldn't those modifiers give the DP enough extra points to purchase (big G)
Godhood??? Really...

Actually, someone up here once made a normal character up (everything
base) - with ONE exception. He put 200 points of a 250 point character into
Presence. (Yes, I've heard the player was almost as obnoxious as the
character) The poor fellow met his end by trying to claim he was God to
a paranoid schizophrenic who "Knew" God. " You're not God, I talked to
him earlier today and he told me to kill you - BLAM!!!"

Stan

P-Chan

Sep 18, 1994, 8:34:49 AM9/18/94
Re: Re: Anime RPG's

> I've sort of half worked out a lot of the _Ranma 1/2_ characters for
> GURPS; the disadvantages were surprisingly easy to define for most of
> them (still need to work out No Direction Sense in game terms, though).
> I'd think GURPS would be ideal for a _Dirty Pair_-type game, as long as
> you make heavy use of the cinematic combat options.
> Oh, and a friend is thinking of creating either Shampoo or Kuno for a
> CHAMPIONS game we're both in. Scaaary!

Cool! Do you have a set of rules yet?
P-Chan
In a file, I mean.

Zon Chen

Sep 17, 1994, 5:51:01 AM9/17/94
P-C> From: p-c...@pil.ness.com (P-Chan)
P-C> Date: 08 Sep 94 09:23:08 PST
P-C> Organization: Public Image Limited VBBS 510-831-3634

P-C> Does anybody know of any? I don't car if they are electronic, magic
P-C> cards,
P-C> or "paper" RPGs. Ranma 1/2, Lum, or Dirty Pair are preferable.
P-C> P-Chan

I have this text file with rules on a RPG someone thought up based loosely on
Kimagure Orange Road, but is pretty generic. I don't play it, but its funny
justto read it. Email me at Zon...@suburbia.apana.org.au with instructions on
how to upload this file to you if you want it (I'm a net newbie)
--
FidoNet: Zon Chen 3:632/553
Internet: Zon....@f553.n632.z3.fidonet.org

Nessie Rilveria

Sep 17, 1994, 5:19:00 PM9/17/94
While sneaking a peek at Lum, Nessie remembers Anime RPG's

NR> I'm sorry to inform you... but thats "Metal and Lace: Battle of the
NR> Robo Babes," and Dragon Knight III <aka, new title because of TSR,
NR> Knights of Xentar>, and the Last one is Cobra Mission.

<Snip>

NR> Or snail mail for Newest Catalog

NR> MegaTech Software
NR> P.O. Box 11333
NR> Torrance, CA 90510

NR> 1-800-258-MEGA (6342)

NR> ... Now the only thing to do, is wait for the next MegaTech game!

BT> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU, A MEGATECH SALESMAN?! Jeez, you're quoting
BT> stuff right from their catalog! I should warn everyone that unless
BT> you're looking for porn, these games are not for you. ESPECIALLY Metal
BT> & Lace. The gameplay is INCREDIBLY monotonous. If you're just
BT> looking for a good fighting game, this ain't it. NONE of these games
BT> have anything to do with any Anime, except Dragon Knight III (renamed
BT> to Knights of Xentar), which is based on a pornographic Anime video.

No I just love anime... Like I said in my personal message to you.. I
like the art... true it is a fighting game that when you defeat the
Beautiful babes that you get a special treat <VIEW> of the defeated.

BT> If you want a good Anime RPG, I have a text file (rather ENORMOUS,
BT> tho) describing rules for a pencil & paper RPG based on KOR. Created
BT> by an Otaku. I haven't tried playing it since none of my friends are
BT> really into Anime, but it looks like a pretty good game.

OH.. you mean this one...

Robosmut International
and
Orange Roadies of San Diego

Present

W h i m s i c a l O r a n g e R o a d :
The Role-Playing Game

Version 3.0
Updated: March 1990

Designed By Totoro Hunter Leto II (GEnie: LETO-2)
10849 Macouba Place -- San Diego, CA 92124 USA

Based on Kimagure Orange Road
(C) Izumi Matsumoto and Jump Comics

I n t r o d u c t i o n

"One meeting turned into two loves,
moved three hearts and wraped them in
friendly color. I am Kyosuke Kasuga,
15 years old -- I'm living my youth!"

Kimagure Orange Road is popular comic and animated TV series from Japan
written by a very talented Japanese artist named Izumi Matsumoto. The
story focuses on the Kasuga clan, an ancient family line with rare
esper powers (referred to here as "Cho-no Ryoku" powers, which
translates simply as "super natural powers"), living in Japan, and on a
love triangle between the main character, Kyosuke Kasuga, a cute but
irritating girl named Hikaru Hiyama and the beautiful and enigmatic
Madoka Ayukawa. I liked the universe, liked the way the powers were
set up, and decided to make an RPG system and try it out on my friends.
And now you can too!

This is a role-playing game. It requires one person to be the Game
Master (GM) and some 10 sided dice. Also, you'll need some paper,
pencils, junk food, xeroxes of the character sheets at the end of this
file, and, oh yes, maybe people who care to play -- at least 2 players,
but not more than 56. Players generally assume the roles of "new"
relatives, distant cousins of Kyosuke's branch of the family, etc., who
were never in the series. Players will have random esper powers and
various stats to help define their character's abilities and goals.

NOTE: Throughout this file I've tried to notate examples of what I'm
talking about from the episodes or the mangas. Episode references will
say something like [cf. episode 22], and manga references will give the
volume and page number, as in [cf. vol. 5, pg. 100].

I've put up the intro and the title.. because it is over 1700 lines
long.

... Fido Anime excuse #12 :Promised Shampoo, to go out on a date!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Nessie Rilveria

Sep 17, 1994, 5:40:00 PM9/17/94
While sneaking a peek at Lum, Nessie remembers Re: Anime RPG's

Bl> On Wed, 14 Sep 1994, Benjamin Turner wrote:

> WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU, A MEGATECH SALESMAN?! Jeez, you're quoting stuff
> right from their catalog! I should warn everyone that unless you're looking
> for porn, these games are not for you. ESPECIALLY Metal & Lace. The
> gameplay is INCREDIBLY monotonous. If you're just looking for a good
> fighting game, this ain't it. NONE of these games have anything to do
> with any Anime, except Dragon Knight III (renamed to Knights of Xentar),

> which is based on a pornographic Anime video.

Bl> Wrong. Dragon Knight was a Japanese video game first and then it was
Bl> made into Anime.

Bl> Bruce

Thanks Apperently Benjamin edited my original post before he posted
his reply.... I did mention that it was derived from the Dragon
Knight and DK II but he kindly took that out...

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Luther Frisch

Sep 17, 1994, 2:40:01 PM9/17/94
GB> As for other Anime-esque RPGs, let's see ... there's the Wessoman
GB> created by the very excellent Antony Hernandez and Distorted

pardon my intrusion, but would you happen to know mr hernandez' current
whereabouts? i tried contacting him via snail mail recently with no
response.
maybe he lost my address.. any help is appreciated. :) thanks.

you can email me at kor...@rochgte.fidonet.org -- which is supposed to be
functioning.

... You are not thinking. You are merely being logical. - Neils Bohr to
Einstein^during a debate on Quantum Mechanics

Jeroen Braamhaar

Sep 17, 1994, 4:13:32 PM9/17/94
In a message of 16 Sep 94 Genryu <sfujimoto@delphi wrote to All:

Gsd> For Ranma, the Street Fighter II RPG that I read a while back in this
Gsd> newsgroup might be useful...but I don't have it so I can't say for
Gsd> sure.
Gsd>
Gsd> BTW, I dropped by LA Books Nippan and discovered a Gundam RPG in
Gsd> Japanese (I knew it was an RPG because it said so in English...there
Gsd> was a Gundam V supplement too I think). Could be interesting if someone
Gsd> sat down and translated it...

Waho. Before anyone starts doing unneeded things, let me plug a system
perfectly suited to anime:

R. Talsorian Games' Mekton II, and it's upcoming successor, Mekton Zeta.

This RPG is perfectly suited for anime, and IMVeryHO also PERFECT for Gundam.

Any supporters or opponents ?
__ _
/ /_) | FIDONet: 2:283/326.7 | AMYNet: 39:155/201.7
\_/eroen /__). | USENet: jer...@grafix.wlink.nl | NLANet: 14:103/100.7

Gunbuster! AIM for the top! (But WENT down the drain
-- Via Xenolink 1.90

S.G. Hagen

Sep 19, 1994, 9:46:13 PM9/19/94
In article <jeroe...@grafix.wlink.nl>,

Jeroen Braamhaar <jer...@grafix.wlink.nl> wrote:

>Waho. Before anyone starts doing unneeded things, let me plug a system
>perfectly suited to anime:
>R. Talsorian Games' Mekton II, and it's upcoming successor, Mekton Zeta.
>This RPG is perfectly suited for anime, and IMVeryHO also PERFECT for Gundam.
Its great for the giant robot genre, for other style of games I'm not
really sure. The combat system is a bit klunky, rolling for hit locations
and all that, often takes away from role playing and leads right to roll
playing.
Of course it doesn't have to go that way but it could.
The main thing is personal preferance, if you like a game system
sometimes it is a lot easier to make conversions rather than to try to
use a game that doesn't have the right feel.
I considered Mekton II for both Bubble Gum Crisis and Five Star
Stories and found it just did not work for either but that's me.
For games where the giant robot combat often takes center stage, like
Gundam, it probably is the perfect game. Its also nice that it stresses
role playing. If you ignore a lot of the rules when they would just slow
things down, simplify and streamline everything, it can work very well.
Just some thoughts.

SIG unavailable due to copyright infringement
S. Hagen u884...@muss.cis.McMaster.ca
"Remember kids, don't talk to strange cats and
just say "No!" to magic pens."

Romanvs

Sep 19, 1994, 7:29:46 PM9/19/94
Try ROBOTECH the RPG. It's pretty cool...

>ROMANVS<

---
* MikeMayl v1.0 * Hello, I am part number 竟瑎竟喊竟摀端陶.

Benjamin Turner

Sep 19, 1994, 1:23:00 PM9/19/94
Bl> Wrong. Dragon Knight was a Japanese video game first and then it was
Bl> made into Anime.

Bl> Bruce

NR> Thanks Apperently Benjamin edited my original post before he posted
NR> his reply.... I did mention that it was derived from the Dragon
NR> Knight and DK II but he kindly took that out...

Excuse me. Please don't take offence, but I think everyone realized that
it was my mistake, not yours.

-Benjamin Turner, The Sixth Planeteer, Otaku-Wannabe

___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Benjamin Turner

Sep 19, 1994, 1:22:00 PM9/19/94
NR> No I just love anime... Like I said in my personal message to you.. I
NR> like the art... true it is a fighting game that when you defeat the
NR> Beautiful babes that you get a special treat <VIEW> of the defeated.

But the gameplay is AWFUL! Every battle seems exactly the same, the graphics
and sound are dull, and special moves (especially those requiring punch and
kick keys simultaneously) are practically impossible!

NR> OH.. you mean this one...

NR> Robosmut International
NR> and
NR> Orange Roadies of San Diego

NR> Present

NR> W h i m s i c a l O r a n g e R o a d :
NR> The Role-Playing Game

NR> Version 3.0
NR> Updated: March 1990

Yeah, that's it. I've never tried playing either. None of my friends are
relly into Anime.

-Benjamin Turner, The Sixth Planeteer, Otaku-Wannabe

PS to sys-admin: Is this better? I didn't even go nuts over use of the word
"babes" instead of "girls"!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Stephane I. Matis

Sep 19, 1994, 11:45:30 AM9/19/94
Garton Joshua R (jrg...@nic.smsu.edu) wrote:
: P-Chan (p-c...@pil.ness.com) wrote:
[munch]
: The game _Teen Agers From Outer Space_ ([TFOS] No relation to the movie

: of the same title, yech!) seems to be based, at least partially, on _Urusei
: Yatsura_. At least, it fits the style well. It also closely parellels Ben
: Dunn's manga series, _Ninja High School_ which isn't surprising since Ben
: Based his on _Urusei Yatsura_. The game could easily work for a A-ko style
: as well. Be warned: it is on the wacky side. Maybe that's a good thing?

Well, a 'Project A-ko RPG' is coming from DreamPod9, the game
division of Ianus Pub. Just letting you know that it certainlly let's you
toss tanks around ... :)

: Joshua Garton
: jrg...@nic.smsu.edu

SIM

Adam M Kroger

Sep 20, 1994, 8:16:54 PM9/20/94

I've said it before and I will say it again. GURPS bites. hero Games
screwed up and succeded where Steve Jackson tried to. Chanpiions and the
Hero Game systerm *IS* the Generic Universal Game System. Don't get me
wrong I love SJ Games but GURPS is worse than my typing. If you are
still using it go find a copy of Champions and swich over.
| | ( ____ \/ ____ (___ __)(___ ___) |
| | | |___) )| | | | | | | |
| \ / | __ / | | | | | | | |
| ---- ---- | | \ \ |___| | | | | | |
| / \ |_| |_\_____/ |_| |_| |
| | +--------------------+--------------------------------+
| | | Adam M Kroger | KRO...@KNUTH.MTSU.EDU |
+-----------------+--------------------+--------------------------------+
| Life is the ultimate game, and death the prize that awaits us all. |

cor...@ax.com

Sep 20, 1994, 7:20:52 PM9/20/94

IS>Come to think of it, if you scrounge around used game bins, you might
IS>find the old Champions/Hero Games supplement (I think was called) Robot
IS>Warriors. Bam! Instant Mecha rules. Of course, straight (heroic)
IS>Champions players always complained that the design rules made the mecha
IS>too powerful. But, then, when has there ever been a mecha that wasn't
IS>exaggerated in real anime?

IS> Stan Bundy

I ran a Champion game which was based on Saint Seiya and Shurato where I
had the characters build armor suits. The armor suits had to have
certain restrictions like the most powerful attack could only be used
once until it was recharged (by a deity) and the 2nd most powerful one
they could use like 4 times. Also they could get better armors by
defeating others. The game worked out quite well actually, I think out
of all the champions games I ran it was their favorite.

David Bennett

Sep 20, 1994, 11:54:43 PM9/20/94
Hmm, I think a good Roleplaying game, that definatley deserves a little
mention is Macross II. Although robotech wasnt that great in my opinion
(the rpg game from Palladium) Macross was true to the original anime
and is definatley fun. I am currently involved in a Rifts/Macross
adventure that is great!

dave

irc: sunlord -*- muck: sunlord -*- email: sun...@io.org
The Huggler of alt.cuddle

Steven J.M. Perez

Sep 20, 1994, 8:35:06 PM9/20/94
P-Chan (p-c...@pil.ness.com) wrote:
: Re: Re: Anime RPG's

Yeah,P-chan is right about GURPS Dirty Pair.
In fact you should E-mail wyv...@agora.rdrop.com about
it.He's my G.D.P. game master.He has a txt.file he could send
you(the rule work,200 point Chr.)
Ja Na^_^

--
Steven Perez: Lightfoot and Saber Kamen s...@industrial.com
Saber Kamen:not a

toms...@ax.com

Sep 22, 1994, 12:29:50 PM9/22/94

IS>Hmm, I think a good Roleplaying game, that definatley deserves a little
IS>mention is Macross II. Although robotech wasnt that great in my opinion
IS>(the rpg game from Palladium) Macross was true to the original anime
IS>and is definatley fun. I am currently involved in a Rifts/Macross
IS>adventure that is great!

You're right. Macross II does deserve to be mentioned....The
roleplaying game does stay true to the anime. However, I dislike the
Palladium combat system. It is old and outdated (created during the
days of D&D superiority) and needs complete revamping.
Everything else about Palladium I love. Thier books have the
best art in the gaming industry (especially Rifts) Their experience
point distribution is the best I've seen for such a system (though I
prefer point based systems these days) The setup for thier books is
Perfect...usually fairly easy to find what your looking for. (except
for the Rifts rulebook, but that was because it was so @#%&* massive and
had so much info in it) Some of the gaming industries most creative
minds work for Palladium books.
I bought Macross II and the Sourcebook as reference material for
my Hero system Anime game. The stats for the Mecha are generic enough
that you can translate it to another game system fairly easy (I did the
same with all the Robotech mecha)
If you like the way Palladium system runs, Macross II is a great
game. If you don't like the way thier system runs, but love the VF-2
series of mecha, Macross II is great reference material (the source book
is great too) either way its a good buy.
Lt. Tom Servo,
ACE Valkyrie pilot,
U.N. Spacy

Zarli Win

Sep 22, 1994, 6:09:35 PM9/22/94
toms...@ax.com wrote:

: combat system is very weak in parts...I have found several
: problems...whereas I have found NO problems with Hero combat..in fact,
: Hero system combat works PERFECTLY for the martial arts, which is very
: important to me. (the Hero system speed chart is the BEST round
: progression system I have seen...it clearly defines who goes when, how
: long certain actions take and time intervals between Segment, Turn and
: minute)
The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the chances
of dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in Champions/HERO can:
1) Walk away from a 3 story fall.
2) Have absolutly no chance of dying from a shoy to the heart (ie. max
damage hit) in the chest with a 357 Mag (1.5 d6 RKA) unless you use optional
bleeding rules.

--
____|____ Zarli "Shiryu" Win
_\_____/_ UH Manoa
_____ za...@uhunix.uhcc.Hawaii.edu
[_|_] "While it's true I don't like you
[_|_] being hire to kill you is just
|_ happy coincidence."

toms...@ax.com

Sep 22, 1994, 12:08:57 PM9/22/94

IK>I've said it before and I will say it again. GURPS bites. hero Games
IK>screwed up and succeded where Steve Jackson tried to. Chanpiions and the
IK>Hero Game systerm *IS* the Generic Universal Game System. Don't get me
IK>wrong I love SJ Games but GURPS is worse than my typing. If you are
IK>still using it go find a copy of Champions and swich over.

I completely agree with you in some respects. Champions (I
prefer to call it "Hero sys" because Champions is merely one faucet of
the whole system.) is a lot more "generic" than GURPS. GURPS' populariy
can be directly attributed to the high level of support available to
that game system.....I believe the only game that has more is AD&D
(blech).....A LOT of people don't have the time it takes to design
everything from scratch for a campaign (you almost have to do this with
Hero, unless you are playing champions) I do, and I did (for a
sci/fi/anime style campaign....Excellent!) However, with GURPS, you
can't "Just buy the rulebook" and run a campaign in any genre without
much more work than it would take to run one with Hero. Thats because
the GURPS basic rulesbook isn't clear on how to deal with a lot of
situations that may arise. (also their vehicles rules sucked) Gurps

combat system is very weak in parts...I have found several
problems...whereas I have found NO problems with Hero combat..in fact,
Hero system combat works PERFECTLY for the martial arts, which is very
important to me. (the Hero system speed chart is the BEST round
progression system I have seen...it clearly defines who goes when, how
long certain actions take and time intervals between Segment, Turn and
minute)

For you people who looked at Hero earlier and were turned off by
the lack of Non-Champions support, there is comming an INFLUX of support
for the system as a whole with the "Ultimate" series of supplaments for
Hero, beginning with "The Ultimate Martial Artist" which takes over
where Ninja Hero left off (I am told over 100 MA styles will be
presented in this book) And comming soon, The Ultimate Powered Armor
sourcebook....sound intriguing??
But you GURPS players won't be leftt out in the Cold! Remember
the GURPS vehicles book (released last year) the best thing to happen to
Powered Armor fans since GURPS ultratech? Well Hold on to yer shorts,
cause GURPS Mecha is comming. GURPS Robots (Boomers!) should be out in
October, but no release date yet on the Mecha book.
Both GURPS and HERO are starting to pay LOTS of attention to the
cross Anime/Gamer fans and configuring their products accordingly.
Either game is a good buy for Anime roleplaying....personally I prefer
Hero...But I've played GURPS and had hella fun.
BOTH games are PERFECT for anime roleplaying....Hero if you don't
mind all the work (but want the perfect combat system) or Gurps for all
the gadgets and cool vehicles (vehicles can be done more accurately in
Hero....if you don't mind the work!)
Be a Hero,
Tom Servo

Stainless Steel Rat

Sep 23, 1994, 7:30:49 AM9/23/94

Zarli> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the chances of
Zarli> dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in Champions/HERO
Zarli> can:

You're obviously not using the "heroic" level rules for "heroic" level
games. Belive me, a .44Mag to the head is going put a serious cramp in your
lifestyle, not to mention leaving rather messy stains on whatever's behind
you.

--
Rat <rat...@ccs.neu.edu> |Happy Fun Ball may stick to certain types
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox|of skin.

Charlie Luce

Sep 23, 1994, 8:22:29 PM9/23/94
In article <CwJxK...@news.Hawaii.Edu>, za...@uhunix3.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Zarli Win) writes:
> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the chances
>of dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in Champions/HERO can:
>1) Walk away from a 3 story fall.
>2) Have absolutly no chance of dying from a shoy to the heart (ie. max
>damage hit) in the chest with a 357 Mag (1.5 d6 RKA) unless you use optional
>bleeding rules.

My quick fix for this with "innocent bystanders" is to lower the "Normal" BODY
Score to 6 (you might want to increase the "Normal" PD & ED to 3 or 4 if you do
this for eveyone). For main characters (PC & NPC) I don't have a problem with
it -- you're _supposed_ to be able to shoot the sh*t out of them and have them
live through it.

Dark Whispers

Sep 23, 1994, 7:13:58 PM9/23/94
Note: For those wishing to retain sanity, run now.

Well, fair readers, a few friends and I are currently working on an Anime
deck for Wizards of the Coast's Magic: The Gathering Deckmaster Game. At
the current time we're concentrating on Ranma 1/2 and Lum, but we'll
eventually get to the rest of the stuff that's out there (after a few
million years). It's lots o fun!

Whisper,

Anime Junkie

Dark Whispers

Sep 23, 1994, 7:21:47 PM9/23/94
Actually, if you want to run a Bubble Gum Crisis/AD Police style rpg, I
would highly recommend Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. from R. Talsorian Games. My
friend tells me that it's highly compatible with Mekton (as the same company
made it) and alot of the stuff from the series already exists in the game
(especially AD Police; that series IS Cyberpunk). For Power Armour, the
Maximum Metal supplement covers some stuff; for the rest just use you're
creativity.

Just a thought,

Whisper

Rory Mclean

Sep 24, 1994, 8:19:55 PM9/24/94
I would also recommend Hero System/Champions! for Anime RPGs.

I have run a sucessful game called "Robo Warriors" where all
the characters are 4-5m tall living robots on the loosing side
in the war. This campaign used the Champions III rules (old
version) with full stats for loads of standard characters,
equipment and weapons. Of course the players wanted non-standard
stuff. This campaign has more recently collided with a space
travel campaign, where the characters are psychically transfered
into transforming "Scout Ships", again 4-5m tall, and are from
a "mature" virtual reality technology Earth of about 2050.

All these games use Hero Systems rules, and are anime inspired,
I am considering running a superhero style anime-type campaign
with a weird group of mostly animal-headed humanoid aliens who
are searching for the "Ultima Force", which manifests as psi
and super powers in humanity.

Are there any archives out there with anime characters converted
to Hero System? I had fun with a A-Ko/Iczer 1 cross character in
a (Marvel) New Mutants type game. I am very interested in "Moldiver"
as it seems to be the closest thing to superhero anime yet.

Rory O. McLean, Dreamer
hu...@hpb.lut.ac.uk

Zarli Win

Sep 25, 1994, 2:43:27 PM9/25/94
Stainless Steel Rat (rat...@ccs.neu.edu) wrote:

: >>>>> "Zarli" == Zarli Win <za...@uhunix3.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu> writes:

: Zarli> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the chances of
: Zarli> dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in Champions/HERO
: Zarli> can:

: You're obviously not using the "heroic" level rules for "heroic" level
: games. Belive me, a .44Mag to the head is going put a serious cramp in your
: lifestyle, not to mention leaving rather messy stains on whatever's behind
: you.

I was using a specific instance:
a .357 mag was listed as 1 1/2 d6 KA-max dam 9 Body. a chest shot does
no additional body according to the hit location modifiers so a normal
person w/10 body will still have 1 body left (he/she wont start bleeding
to death untill 0 Body.

a .44 mag on the other hand is 2d6-max dam 12 body, which can definately
kill a normal. This is especially true if you consider a head shot that
does double body(ie. 24!)

--
____|____ Zarli "Shiryu" Win
_\_____/_ UH Manoa

[_|_] "Illuminati: Evil geniuses
[_|_] for a brighter tommorow."
|_

David Pulver

Sep 24, 1994, 8:29:28 AM9/24/94
I've seen GURPS statistics for the DIRTY PAIR.

GURPS ROBOTS (coming out soon) has a complex design system, but does allow
you to build a lot of anime robots, like the Black Magic M-66, and also adds
a few new cinematic combat rules (e.g., "cinematic explosions").

--
Internet E-Mail: David....@synth.tvk.tsoft.net

Jason Lovett

Sep 24, 1994, 2:22:10 AM9/24/94
I've said it before and I will say it again. GURPS bites. hero Games
screwed up and succeded where Steve Jackson tried to. Chanpiions and the
Hero Game systerm *IS* the Generic Universal Game System. Don't get me
wrong I love SJ Games but GURPS is worse than my typing. If you are
still using it go find a copy of Champions and swich over.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Gurps bites.
Ha! I'm kind of retarted you see I can't perceive what you are saying
and by repeating I think it would help.

Oh well I'm just kidding about this.
Ha Ha Ha!
Please applause!!! thank you!
Later!

--
|Fidonet: Jason Lovett 1:133/611
|Internet: Jason....@anjhurin.atl.ga.us

| From SDBBS +1-404-333-8554 "What?, me worry?, it's only Kei and Yuri."

toms...@ax.com

Sep 26, 1994, 9:30:08 AM9/26/94

IL>In article <CwJxK...@news.Hawaii.Edu>, za...@uhunix3.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Zarl
IL>Win) writes:
IL>> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the chances
IL>>of dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in Champions/HERO can:
IL>>1) Walk away from a 3 story fall.
IL>>2) Have absolutly no chance of dying from a shoy to the heart (ie. max
IL>>damage hit) in the chest with a 357 Mag (1.5 d6 RKA) unless you use optiona
IL>>bleeding rules.

IL>My quick fix for this with "innocent bystanders" is to lower the "Normal" BO
IL>Score to 6 (you might want to increase the "Normal" PD & ED to 3 or 4 if you
IL>do
IL>this for eveyone). For main characters (PC & NPC) I don't have a problem wi
IL>it -- you're _supposed_ to be able to shoot the sh*t out of them and have th
IL>live through it.

WRONG. Use the Impairing and Disabling rules. People will die
all too often in your game if you do this....Hit locations help too.
The problem with the "Heart shot" can be solved, in fact in and
Adventurers club I saw optional hit locations which included the Heart
(x2body/x5stun) the Eyes (x2body/x6stun and blindness). a shot to the
chest (loc-10) would have an 8- chance of hitting the heart (if the
attack were a piercing one) and thus getting the body/stun bonuses.
I sorta agree with you about the fall from 3 stories...rarely
will such a fall kill some one (the potential is there) but in real life
you will likely break or sprain something...which is less likely with
the Hero system....wow, finally a problem....the only one I see so far.
(note. I use the Impairing and disabling rules....damage over 1/2 the
body of an unimportant ruffian in one hit will down him....thus I have
no problem with the "Chest shot")
If you want your game to be a little deadlier, just add 1-3 dc to
all the damages the weapons do in your game....problem solved.
Tom Servo.

seth opitz

Sep 26, 1994, 5:47:09 PM9/26/94
Would somone please explain to me what the hell Ranma and Lum
have to do with a shoiven and a force of nature????????
Seth
Dark Whispers (whi...@io.org) wrote:
: Note: For those wishing to retain sanity, run now.

: Whisper,

: Anime Junkie

--

-------------------
End of network mail

David Bennett

Sep 26, 1994, 12:05:49 AM9/26/94
In article <023826BYXD...@ax.com>, toms...@ax.com wrote:

> If you like the way Palladium system runs, Macross II is a great
> game. If you don't like the way thier system runs, but love the VF-2
> series of mecha, Macross II is great reference material (the source book
> is great too) either way its a good buy.

Agreed totally, the art was amazing, and it stayed true to the series.
If you are interested, I have been working ona conversion between Palladium
and the DND system (not to mention a GURPS conversion) so if you
are interesetd email me.

dave

irc: sunlord -*- muck: sunlord -*- email: sun...@io.org

The Huggler of alt.cuddle -*- [R.A.A.] Otaku's CF/RF/P
The DragonLance FAQ writer (come join alt.fan.dragonlance)

Jonathan Weadon

Sep 26, 1994, 8:59:41 PM9/26/94
Where are known Anime-RPGs being played? Where are the rules for such games?
Also, having just seen one of the Moldiver episodes, I agree with Rory Mclean.
It's the closest I've seen to super-human anime as well.
Thanks!
Fare thee well, for thee be well met.
Address sno...@mindgames.com
Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S.A.

Daniel Ho

Sep 27, 1994, 11:27:24 AM9/27/94
David Pulver (David....@synth.tvk.tsoft.net) wrote:
: I've seen GURPS statistics for the DIRTY PAIR.

: GURPS ROBOTS (coming out soon) has a complex design system, but does allow
: you to build a lot of anime robots, like the Black Magic M-66, and also adds
: a few new cinematic combat rules (e.g., "cinematic explosions").

Are you doing GURPS Robots? I hope this system is going to be a
lot simpler than your GURPS Vehicles book; it's still quite
overwhelming. Any tid-bits you'd like to share with us?

Daniel Ho da...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Before the Romance: "HDTV, oh HDTV, where art thou HDTV?"

S.G. Hagen

Sep 27, 1994, 1:45:06 PM9/27/94
In article <snowol...@mindgames.com>,

Jonathan Weadon <sno...@mindgames.com> wrote:
>Where are known Anime-RPGs being played? Where are the rules for such games?
>Also, having just seen one of the Moldiver episodes, I agree with Rory Mclean.
>It's the closest I've seen to super-human anime as well.
>Thanks!
They are being played where ever the unholy wedlock occours between
anime fans and role players. Not much help really but its the best I can
do. If you check out role playing clubs or anime clubs you might find
such a wed lock once you've asked around a bit.
As for the rules, well all the well known systems, (TFOS, Mekton,
ect.) have already been mentioned. The rest are out there in computer
land, just waiting to be found.
If memory serves a Shadowrun/Bubble Gum Crisis conversion is residing
in the Stainless Steel Rats homepage. The Orange Road RPG is in an FTP
site somewhere, sunet is where I found it. Someone with a CP2020
Appleseed conversion has made mention of it and might post it on R.A.M or
frp.cyber in the near future. I've seen ideas for a Five Star Stories
game using Shadowrun tossed around on frp.cyber a while back as well.
Just a few possible sources.

G. 'Gold' Diggers

Sep 27, 1994, 3:55:05 PM9/27/94
To throw in my own 2Y, a friend and I are running a Ranma 1/2 game at a local
gamer's convention this weekend, using the Hero System rules. It seems to
serve us well, especially when it comes to a charecter being able to take a
hard hit in combat, but not from a sudden slap in conversation. If you know
the system, the power goes "50% damage reduction, must be aware of attack,
must make ego roll to activate".
Anyway, as far as un-holy wedlock goes, our own local Anime club grew out
of the Gamer's Guild here at Western Michigan U. Every founding member of
the Anime Club was a member of the Guild (just last winter, actually). The

Sea Wasp

Sep 27, 1994, 3:46:28 PM9/27/94
In article <369ln2$t...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA> u884...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA
(S.G. Hagen) writes:

>Jonathan Weadon <sno...@mindgames.com> wrote:

>>Where are known Anime-RPGs being played? Where are the rules for such games?
>>Also, having just seen one of the Moldiver episodes, I agree with Rory Mclean.
>>It's the closest I've seen to super-human anime as well.

Moldiver is the closest you've gotten to super-human anime??

What about Dragonball Z, Saint Seiya, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers,
and other such shows?

> They are being played where ever the unholy wedlock occours between
>anime fans and role players. Not much help really but its the best I can
>do. If you check out role playing clubs or anime clubs you might find
>such a wed lock once you've asked around a bit.

Yep. I've got the Saints of Athena in my fantasy world (not to
be confused with another, unrelated group of paladin-type warriors
called the Saints of Myrionar). We've run Dragon Trek Z: The Next
Degeneration as a campaign. I've got a Saiyajin child as a character
in my present Middle-Earth campaign. I've played a space marine in
a GUNDAM universe, and had Spirit Samurai (Samurai Troopers) be created
in my own high-powered fantasy game...

> As for the rules, well all the well known systems, (TFOS, Mekton,
>ect.) have already been mentioned. The rest are out there in computer
>land, just waiting to be found.

I use whatever rules of the game genre I'm planning to be
running, and invent whatever doesn't exist. My rules for using Cosmos
Power and Spirit Energy (Saint Seiya and Yoroiden Samurai Troopers,
respectively) in my Fantasy game run to about 24 pages.

> If memory serves a Shadowrun/Bubble Gum Crisis conversion is residing
>in the Stainless Steel Rats homepage. The Orange Road RPG is in an FTP
>site somewhere, sunet is where I found it. Someone with a CP2020
>Appleseed conversion has made mention of it and might post it on R.A.M or
>frp.cyber in the near future. I've seen ideas for a Five Star Stories
>game using Shadowrun tossed around on frp.cyber a while back as well.

Yep, and I also mentioned that I use a number of Anime-inspired
characters in my own Shadowrun universe, including the Bean Bandit,
Cobra, and Lady Grandis.

MEHA! KAMEH Sera-Fuku Bishonen Sensho
EHA AME Sailor Wasp
M ^@_____@^ H Sailor Suited Beautiful
"Trust me. A / / Sea \ \ A Box-Jelly Warrior
You don't have K / / Wasp \ \ !
much choice!" T ; /_________\ ; ! "For Love and Justice,
' ;|;;|;;|; N my .sig will give you
X | | | I a spanking!"
EDO ; ; ; D Z
KAMEN NEBLO Keeper of the Saint Seiya FAQ

Charlie Luce

Sep 27, 1994, 4:44:18 PM9/27/94
In article <016688XPXW...@ax.com>, toms...@ax.com writes:

>IL>My quick fix for this with "innocent bystanders" is to lower the "Normal" BO
>IL>Score to 6 (you might want to increase the "Normal" PD & ED to 3 or 4 if you
>

> WRONG. Use the Impairing and Disabling rules. People will die
>all too often in your game if you do this....Hit locations help too.

I _said_ it was a quick fix. I originally put it in because the players
weren't taking hostage situations seriously unless the hostage had an autofire
shotgun held to their head.

As far as falling goes I have seen some GMs treat all falls over 5" (10 meters)
as killing damage. Combine that with rolling hit location and the I&D rules
and falls get a bit more worrisome.

Zarli Win

Sep 27, 1994, 2:34:50 AM9/27/94
Charlie Luce (luc...@Eisner.DECUS.Org) wrote:

I have somthing similar to this. I just wanted to point out some of the
problems w/ the system. I am constantly trying to work out things so it will
play more the way I want, but I still find it one of the best systems for the
genre.

--
____|____ Zarli "Shiryu" Win
_\_____/_ UH Manoa

Steven J.M. Perez

Sep 28, 1994, 9:59:04 PM9/28/94
David Pulver (David....@synth.tvk.tsoft.net) wrote:
: I've seen GURPS statistics for the DIRTY PAIR.

I bet you got that for my GURPS 3WA GM,Wyvern(wyv...@agora.rdrop.com)

Nessie Rilveria

Sep 29, 1994, 6:18:00 PM9/29/94
While sneaking a peek at Lum, Nessie remembers Re: Anime RPG's

ZW> toms...@ax.com wrote:

: combat system is very weak in parts...I have found several

: problems...whereas I have found NO problems with Hero combat..in fact,
: Hero system combat works PERFECTLY for the martial arts, which is very
: important to me. (the Hero system speed chart is the BEST round
: progression system I have seen...it clearly defines who goes when, how
: long certain actions take and time intervals between Segment, Turn and
: minute)

ZW> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the
ZW> chances of dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in
ZW> Champions/HERO can: 1) Walk away from a 3 story fall.
ZW> 2) Have absolutly no chance of dying from a shoy to the heart (ie.
ZW> max damage hit) in the chest with a 357 Mag (1.5 d6 RKA) unless you use
ZW> optional bleeding rule.

I've never seen a Hero Character Die... Seriously hurt.. but not die...
and the GM's I've seen are Ruthless..

I guess thats why they are called "HERO" Games..

I myself prefer Shadowrun Combat...

... "I was cool wasn't I?" -- Lufy, Gall Force
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Stainless Steel Rat

Sep 30, 1994, 6:15:16 AM9/30/94

Nessie> I've never seen a Hero Character Die... Seriously hurt.. but not
Nessie> die... and the GM's I've seen are Ruthless..

If you're playing with 250-point or higher supers, death is rare, which is
as it should be. Drop down to the 150-point level, arm the opposition with
conventional firearms, and forget it.

Nessie> I guess thats why they are called "HERO" Games..

Nessie> I myself prefer Shadowrun Combat...

Oh! You mean the game system that was deliberately tweaked such as to make
it impossible for a one shot, one kill situation? Since the worst you can
take in a single hit is a D wound, that's 10 boxes on your physical track,
you're not dead yet. FASA did this deliberately to boost PC survial.

--
Rat <rat...@ccs.neu.edu> |When not in use, Happy Fun Ball should be
http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/ratinox|returned to its special container and kept

toms...@ax.com

Sep 28, 1994, 7:22:39 PM9/28/94

ID>David Pulver (David....@synth.tvk.tsoft.net) wrote:
ID>: I've seen GURPS statistics for the DIRTY PAIR.

ID>: GURPS ROBOTS (coming out soon) has a complex design system, but does allow
ID>: you to build a lot of anime robots, like the Black Magic M-66, and also ad
ID>: a few new cinematic combat rules (e.g., "cinematic explosions").

ID> Are you doing GURPS Robots? I hope this system is going to be a
ID>lot simpler than your GURPS Vehicles book; it's still quite
ID>overwhelming. Any tid-bits you'd like to share with us?

Are you kidding??? GURPS Vehicles is the BEST supplament for ANY
RPG that I have seen. If only other RPG's would pay that close
attention to detail for vehicles in their systems, it wouldn't matter
which game you play then. MORE DETAIL MORE MORE MORE!!!
Tom Servo.
Mecha Virtuoso.

stus...@eku.acs.eku.edu

Sep 30, 1994, 8:45:52 PM9/30/94
In article <XeYXke0X...@io.org>, sun...@io.org (David Bennett) writes:
> In article <023826BYXD...@ax.com>, toms...@ax.com wrote:
>>

>> If you like the way Palladium system runs, Macross II is a great
>> game. If you don't like the way thier system runs, but love the VF-2
>> series of mecha, Macross II is great reference material (the source book
>> is great too) either way its a good buy.
>
> Agreed totally, the art was amazing, and it stayed true to the series.
> If you are interested, I have been working ona conversion between Palladium
> and the DND system (not to mention a GURPS conversion) so if you
> are interesetd email me.
>
> dave

Palladium to D&D??? That's Ironic, as Kevin Siembieda said that the
Palladium RPG (the first in the series) started out as a D&D variant
that became so variant that it was no longer recognizable as D&D. That's
one of the reasons why the Palladium combat system is d20 driven...

Stan Bundy

For persons interested in lots of Variant stuff usable with Robotech,
Rifts or Macross II (still within the Palladium system) email me at
stus...@eku.edu

Craig Thomas Judd

Oct 1, 1994, 1:00:21 AM10/1/94
In article <369ln2$t...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA>, u884...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA (S.G. Hagen) writes:

>In article <snowol...@mindgames.com>,
>Jonathan Weadon <sno...@mindgames.com> wrote:
>>Where are known Anime-RPGs being played? Where are the rules for such games?
> If memory serves a Shadowrun/Bubble Gum Crisis conversion is residing
>in the Stainless Steel Rats homepage. The Orange Road RPG is in an FTP
>site somewhere, sunet is where I found it. Someone with a CP2020
>Appleseed conversion has made mention of it and might post it on R.A.M or
>frp.cyber in the near future.[...]

'Twas I who made mention of the Appleseed Cyberpunk supplement most recently.
I'm currently running a game in the above setting, and have been doing all
this neat formatting and information gathering for it. Having scoured all
four books, Intron Depot and the Databooks, I only need write it all up
between assignments. I'm using Word for Windows 2.0 with lots of graphics,
so that sort of excludes electronic transmission. Besides, how would I get the
map across? I know, I probably could, but it's too much like hard work.

Instead, I plan to make high-quality photocopies of my original laser
printouts, and distribute them via SnailMail to those interested. Of course,
I'll be asking a small fee to cover materials, postage and effort. The
supplement should come in somewhere around 50 pages or so (I think), and my
estimates put the cost somewhere around $AUS 10.00 + postage (around $US7.50).

Disclaimer:

I would like to point out that most of the material in this supplement is
copyright by at least three separate groups. This supplement is not being
distributed for personal profit, but as a useful collection of already-existing
data (and speculations on my part) for those who don't want to play Appleseed
by Palladium when it comes out :-( Can YOU imagine LandMates with MDC?! 8-P

So, if you're interested send me a message and I'll put you on my list. When I
actually get the thing done I'll send you a message and we can arrange
postage.

Yours 'seedily;

--
\/\"Well, that concludes my victory dance..." - Susano Orbatos, Orion/\/
====\/\ Winner of Ian's Competition Summer Edition 1993/4! /\/====

Dark Whispers

Sep 30, 1994, 10:58:57 PM9/30/94
In article <1994Sep26....@scott.skidmore.edu>,

seth opitz <sop...@scott.skidmore.edu> wrote:
> Would somone please explain to me what the hell Ranma and Lum
>have to do with a shoiven and a force of nature????????
> Seth

Ranma and Lum ARE Forces of Nature!

Whisper

Zarli Win

Oct 2, 1994, 7:03:30 AM10/2/94
Nessie Rilveria (nessie....@rhosoft.com) wrote:

: I've never seen a Hero Character Die... Seriously hurt.. but not die...

: and the GM's I've seen are Ruthless..

: I guess thats why they are called "HERO" Games..

That pretty much sums it up. Although I have seen heros die the kind
of damage it takes would obliterate most people, buildings, tanks, city
blocks, etc. The point is the system works but most experianced players
have this mindset "my character won't die the mechanics practically forbid
it." and I find there to be a loss of flavor when the threat of loosing
your character is not hanging over your head every time he/she "risks
his/her life."

stus...@eku.acs.eku.edu

Oct 2, 1994, 8:44:34 PM10/2/94
In article <369sqk$3...@epicycle.lm.com>, sea...@telerama.lm.com (Sea Wasp) writes:
> In article <369ln2$t...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA> u884...@muss.cis.McMaster.CA
> (S.G. Hagen) writes:
>
>>Jonathan Weadon <sno...@mindgames.com> wrote:
>

> What about Dragonball Z, Saint Seiya, Yoroiden Samurai Troopers,
> and other such shows?
>
>> They are being played where ever the unholy wedlock occours between
>>anime fans and role players. Not much help really but its the best I can
>>do. If you check out role playing clubs or anime clubs you might find
>>such a wed lock once you've asked around a bit.

Speaking of unholy wedlocks, has anybody noticed the stuff in the
Spelljammer setting of AD&D??? (Taken from the MC7 & MC9)
AD&D name Anime equivalent or inspiration
Bionoid Guyver
Spirit Warrior Aura Battler Dunbine
Reigar & Lakshu Shurato (and they even call the items
used by them Shaktis!)

Of course, Spelljammer stuff is out of print, but it can still be found.
My question is, has anybody noticed any OTHER anime influences on AD&D?

Stan

jpre...@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca

Oct 3, 1994, 3:37:19 AM10/3/94
In article <94093001...@rhosoft.com>,

Nessie Rilveria <nessie....@rhosoft.com> wrote:
>While sneaking a peek at Lum, Nessie remembers Re: Anime RPG's
>
> ZW> toms...@ax.com wrote:
>
> : combat system is very weak in parts...I have found several
> : problems...whereas I have found NO problems with Hero combat..in fact,
> : Hero system combat works PERFECTLY for the martial arts, which is very
> : important to me. (the Hero system speed chart is the BEST round
> : progression system I have seen...it clearly defines who goes when, how
> : long certain actions take and time intervals between Segment, Turn and
> : minute)
>
> ZW> The one problem I find with the Hero system is that the
> ZW> chances of dying are slim to none. Ex. A 'normal person' in
> ZW> Champions/HERO can: 1) Walk away from a 3 story fall.
> ZW> 2) Have absolutly no chance of dying from a shoy to the heart (ie.
> ZW> max damage hit) in the chest with a 357 Mag (1.5 d6 RKA) unless you use
> ZW> optional bleeding rule.
>
>I've never seen a Hero Character Die... Seriously hurt.. but not die...
>and the GM's I've seen are Ruthless..

Well, you may not have seen PC's die, but how about NPC's? If you haven't
seen them die, then the GM was not ruthless. The 'incompetent normal' class
of character was designed with death in mind. :) I mean, a person with 6 BODY
and no resistant defense is going to take, on average, over 10 BODY from a
hollowpoint .357 to the head. This is known as fatal.

>I guess thats why they are called "HERO" Games..
>
>I myself prefer Shadowrun Combat...
>
>... "I was cool wasn't I?" -- Lufy, Gall Force
>___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12

Well.. I'm a bloodier GM than most people like. I prefer Dark Champions, as
a rule, since the PC's aren't restricted as much. ("What do you mean, I can't
kill this super-evil villain? I'm the good guy.. What's that got to do with
anything- this guy always escapes!" don't happen much.)
I've designed HERO characters that can kill any other HERO character built on
the same total points & active point/power (250 & 60). It's not hard to
kill most player's, it's just that GM's find it hard to get players when every
week another PC bites the dust.

If you want to kill PC's in champions... you _can_ : that's what optional
rules are for. Of course, if the PC's complain when a sniper hit's them in
the head while they're eating breakfast, tell them they don't have to worry..
they're already dead. (HINT: think 2x BODY(hit location), 2x damage(surprise),
1/2 rDEF (find weakness), 1/2 rDEF (AP round) With this, any 2d6K+1 rifle will
be able (on average) to do 28 - rDEF/4 points of body. Even with a 30/30 force
field, this'll be enough to kill, with bleeding rules if necessary, and
remember- those forcefields are turned off to eat breakfast :)

Of course, realism isn't what the game is about, and players tend to build
characters that won't die. If you want death to set the mood, try the
following: make NPC characters seem tough, but have them die on a fairly
regular basis. make the bystanders incompetent mortals with reduced BODY, so
when they get hit by stray bullets, they die. give villains upgraded ammo from
the DC:HOV supplements. have people die in front of the PC's from diseases and
OD's. This sort of thing will darken any campaign. And let's not forget,
every character has a weakness which, with some work by a determined GM, can be
deadly. (If you don't believe me, send me any champions character built the
way I described. I can send you back a character capable of killing it in one
attack. Of course, it may depend on who attacks first... :) )

WARNING.. THIS WILL MAKE PLAYERS _VERY_ RELUCTANT TO JOIN YOUR CAMPAIGN.
Of course, they will feel great satisfaction in merely surviving in your world
even if they can't save and/or change it, but you have to get them to play in
it first. Trust me, people avoid my campaigns. (I wonder why? :))

BTW, I've heard of a system that describes vehicles as props, since all they
really do is get blown to little pieces in big explosions. Anybody on this
thread know of a system that does this? I can't remember the name, but I'm told
it's great for anime. (go figure)

(I don't mean to start a holy war over RPG systems, champions is only one of
the RPG's I play, and it is not the best. It is not the worst either.)

Just remember, it doesn't matter what system you use, so long as you can have
a good time role-playing.
--
Just one more wannabe Otaku |
(and recovering Madokist) | Looking for good quote. Any ideas?
| Any advice welcome.
I need anime now, dammit. |

Rory Mclean

Oct 10, 1994, 12:01:42 PM10/10/94
In article <94093001...@rhosoft.com>, nessie....@rhosoft.com (Nessie

As a GM I have killed at least 3 in combat, maybe 6, and twice that
many out of combat. Admittedly this was Fantasy Hero rather than
Champions!, but the principle still holds. This does not count any
of the hordes of non-player characters that have died, fail your
CON roll after a major wound to head or torso and you die quite
quickly without a hospital or major magic.

Nic A. Neidenbach

Oct 11, 1994, 2:14:06 PM10/11/94
Has anyone ever used Silent Mobius as a setting for a RPG? I mentioned doing
such to my group and got a real positive response. Anyone have any advice?

- Nic

Non-Standard Disclaimer:
These notions are my own and not to be confused with those
of my employers, friends, relatives, or pets.
"Neat! They got a blimp." - The Tick

Zarli Win

Oct 12, 1994, 5:23:05 AM10/12/94
Rory Mclean (R.O.Mc...@student.lut.ac.uk) wrote:

: As a GM I have killed at least 3 in combat, maybe 6, and twice that

: many out of combat. Admittedly this was Fantasy Hero rather than
: Champions!, but the principle still holds. This does not count any
: of the hordes of non-player characters that have died, fail your
: CON roll after a major wound to head or torso and you die quite
: quickly without a hospital or major magic.

The in fantasy hero the chances of taking body are much greater.
The amount of Res. Def a FH char. has to a champ char is miniscule. Even
normal def is low. In the typical Champ. campaign char will rarely take
body. I run a high power campaign and I've seen char take over 100 stun
w/o taking any body.

--
____|____ Zarli "Shiryu" Win
_\_____/_ UH Manoa

[_|_] "I belive mental stability
[_|_] is highly overated."
|_

Rory Mclean

Oct 16, 1994, 4:59:46 PM10/16/94
In article <CxJzE...@news.Hawaii.Edu>, za...@uhunix3.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Zarli

Win) writes:
|> Rory Mclean (R.O.Mc...@student.lut.ac.uk) wrote:
|>
|> : As a GM I have killed at least 3 in combat, maybe 6, and twice that
|> : many out of combat. Admittedly this was Fantasy Hero rather than
|> : Champions!, but the principle still holds. This does not count any
|> : of the hordes of non-player characters that have died, fail your
|> : CON roll after a major wound to head or torso and you die quite
|> : quickly without a hospital or major magic.
|>
|> The in fantasy hero the chances of taking body are much greater.
|> The amount of Res. Def a FH char. has to a champ char is miniscule. Even
|> normal def is low. In the typical Champ. campaign char will rarely take
|> body. I run a high power campaign and I've seen char take over 100 stun
|> w/o taking any body.

Even in Champions! not all characters have resistant defences, and some
only have enough to stop pistol shots, Martial Artists are a good
example. On the other hand, I am familiar with FH chars with 8pt armour
and 8 PD, for a total 16 PD! This is more than quite a few of my Champions!
characters, though I will admit it is sectional, and typically none is
worn on the face. Sitting between these is my Robo Wars campaign, where
all the characters are 75+75pt giant (4+m) living robots, typically with
10+rPD. These often take BODY, as the campaign is designed that way, and
I have come within inches of killing characters, by bleeding if nothing
else, several times. I am in a Champions! campaign (250pts) where the ref
has already killed 3 characters (strangely all belonging to the same
player) and we have only had 5 trips... We are beginning to wonder if it
is a high-powered Dark Champions style campaign.

Rory O. McLean, Dreamer
hu...@hpb.lut.ac.uk