Shampoo Bashing! (was Ranma 1/2: Denial)

1 view

Frank

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95

>>>I think that Mousse should
>>>learn to lose his temper and bash that bimbo Shampoo to little bits!
>>>She deserves it, the way she treats him, ne?

>>I don't think Mousse really deserves Shampoo. Ranma might, with the way
>>he behaves, but really, I don't think any male in the series is so evil
>>they deserve Shampoo (except perhaps Genma. it would serve him right).
>>Shampoo does however deserve Haposai!

>True, true... Shampoo and Happousai... What a *perfect* couple! But Mousse
>should beat up Shampoo first, then leave her. ^_^ That would teach her
>right! (Even if she doesn't have enough brain cells to figure it out!)

Whoa, virulent anti-Shampoo sentiments! Obviously not everyone likes
the lavender haired lovely. True, she's an underhanded, cruel, manipulative
minx who's always trying to break Ranma and Akane up, and treats the
love struck Mousse like dirt, but hey, nobody's perfect!

(Actually, I feel a bit sorry for Shampoo. Look at it from her point of view:
She's a better fighter than Akane, more cunning (although definately not
smarter), has more feminine wiles ("Ranma no like Shampoo? BOO-
HOO-HOO!" until the idiot puts his foot in his mouth and agrees to go on
yet another date with her), is MUCH more openly affectionate and sexy,
a great cook, has recourse to all sorts of potions and magics... in every
way by Amazon standards she's more desirable than that violent tomboy,
and yet she STILL can't get Ranma away from Akane! Her little purple
head must be completely baffled by this. No wonder she's so mean to
poor Mousse; HE falls in love with her, no problem, but can she get
anywhere with Ranma? NOOO!!! Talk about frustrating!)

Although I DO think Shampoo and Mousse would be a good couple, if
she was as devoted to him as he is to her. Unfortunately since she can't
value him on his own merits the only way those two are ever going to get
together - excepting the possibility of a errant love potion - is if he follows
Amazon law and defeats her in combat, earning the right to be her
husband. I think he could do it if he really went at her; I mean, this is
Mousse we're talking about, he could probably pull a Sherman tank out
of those hidden weapon pockets of his and smash her head in with it if he
really wanted to. The trouble is he loves her too much to risk hurting her,
so he pulls his punches... and loses. If there were just some way to turn
Mousse's love to hate for one match, say by using the brooch from
"Desperately Seeking Shampoo", wedding bells would be imminent! As
soon as Shampoo got out of her hospital bed, that is.

FW

the Bithead

Dec 31, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/31/95
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.95123...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>,
Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> wrote:

<hack slash hack>

>so he pulls his punches... and loses. If there were just some way to turn
>Mousse's love to hate for one match, say by using the brooch from
>"Desperately Seeking Shampoo", wedding bells would be imminent! As
>soon as Shampoo got out of her hospital bed, that is.

the problem is -- shampoo's feelings won't be changed just because she
has been defeated. mousse pulverizes shampoo. shampoo (by law) must
marry mousee (how this negates her prior obligation to marry ranma-kun
i don't know, but it seems to be something of a basic assumption).
HOWEVER: shampoo will probably still despise mousse.

wedding bells? don't know about that one.

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96

Nah... Shampoo doesn't have the brains to work out that she won't be in
love with the one who beats her to a pulp. That's the only reason why she
loves Ranma... Because of the laws. And because she wants to get Akane
back by stealing Ranma from her. If Shampoo got Ranma, she'll end up treating
him like Mousse, more than likely, because she is just a bimbo. All she knows
is : Kill the one who loves you, Love the one who beats you up.

Kun-chan...

New Najar

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au (Caroline Ann Seawright) writes

>Nah... Shampoo doesn't have the brains to work out that she won't be in
>love with the one who beats her to a pulp. That's the only reason why she
>loves Ranma... Because of the laws. And because she wants to get Akane
>back by stealing Ranma from her. If Shampoo got Ranma, she'll end up
>treating
>him like Mousse, more than likely, because she is just a bimbo. All she
>knows
>is : Kill the one who loves you, Love the one who beats you up.

After all this time, I think Shampoo has come to really love Ranma. But
it IS because of the laws. Since Ranma was the FIRST to beat her in a
fight, she accepts this and truly loves him; but only as she understands
love, which is in a very limited manner. Ultimately it IS shallow, but
not to her present perpective.

| Neil Robertson | Anything I ask about, it's just from curiosity. |
|--------------------| Anything I tell you, it's from enthusiasm. |
| newn...@aol.com | Anything else is probably a hidden agenda. |
'-----------------------------------------------------------------------'

Michael W. Dean

Jan 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/1/96
>together - excepting the possibility of a errant love potion - is if he follows
>Amazon law and defeats her in combat, earning the right to be her
>husband. I think he could do it if he really went at her; I mean, this is
>Mousse we're talking about, he could probably pull a Sherman tank out
>of those hidden weapon pockets of his and smash her head in with it if he
>really wanted to. The trouble is he loves her too much to risk hurting her,
>so he pulls his punches... and loses. If there were just some way to turn
>Mousse's love to hate for one match, say by using the brooch from
>"Desperately Seeking Shampoo", wedding bells would be imminent! As
>soon as Shampoo got out of her hospital bed, that is.

Actually, we must recall that in the episode you mention, Ranma defeats
Shampoo in combat without hurting her. Mousse could probably do the same
thing with little effort (those weighted rope things of his would do the job
nicely). I think the boy wants her to fall in love with him of her own free
will, instead of invoking that very cruel Amazon law.

Mike

Frank

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96

On 1 Jan 1996, New Najar wrote:

> kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au (Caroline Ann Seawright) writes
>
> >Nah... Shampoo doesn't have the brains to work out that she won't be in
> >love with the one who beats her to a pulp. That's the only reason why she
> >loves Ranma... Because of the laws. And because she wants to get Akane
> >back by stealing Ranma from her. If Shampoo got Ranma, she'll end up
> >treating
> >him like Mousse, more than likely, because she is just a bimbo. All she
> >knows
> >is : Kill the one who loves you, Love the one who beats you up.
>
> After all this time, I think Shampoo has come to really love Ranma. But
> it IS because of the laws. Since Ranma was the FIRST to beat her in a
> fight, she accepts this and truly loves him; but only as she understands
> love, which is in a very limited manner. Ultimately it IS shallow, but
> not to her present perpective.

Which is why I keep hoping Shampoo DOES wind up with Mousse, somehow,
someday. Not because she deserves him - how many of us would deserve
that kind of total love, after all? - but because I think Mousse is the
only one who could teach her how much more there is to love than she
currently understands.
Although he probably WOULD have to beat her brains in, first, just to
get her attention.

FW

Mme. cybernetica

Jan 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/4/96
Shampoo bashing....SHAMPOO BASHING!!!!!
HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!
Now here's my two sense on that slut of sluts (Takahasi -sama should've made
da bitch blonde....)
Shampoo is a spoled, manipulatilve, deviante little bimbo... she wants
what SHE wants, not what could be good for her... Hands down she is the
worst anime character! Her only point with male fans is her inherent
stupidity and her size c chest. However, I don't think Mousse should beat
her up...chain her and enslave her, yes...till she begs for forgiveness
"and the love of Shampoo's rightful master, yes?". Sounds SM, but I think
as much of a dominatrix she is, it's about time SHE got on her knees and
begged. Mousee is too kind, too beautiful, and too gentle to be treated
such. Men with problems of what defines masculinity say "he's a wimp",
but if I was written into Ranma 1/2, I would be more than proud to
walk down the aisle with him. I think it's not just an issue of "who should
Shampoo get?" but, "Is Shampoo really what men percieve as female?"
Takahasi is female, but so many men love the character of Shampoo...it just
makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...
someone to "win" and not "lose" like Mousse. Takahasi wrote Ranma 1/2 as
seemingly female-predominate, but I think she made Shampoo as "male fodder".
I don't think Shampoo serves any purpose in the story...like Kodachi and
Ukkyo, they are just filler..."Anime cheesecake" I call it. Maybe Takahashi
thaought that's what men wanted, and wrote accordingly...
Oh well...
Ja ne,
Cyber-chan

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
Mme. cybernetica <jdi...@delphi.com> writes:

>Shampoo bashing....SHAMPOO BASHING!!!!!
>HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!
>Now here's my two sense on that slut of sluts (Takahasi -sama should've made
>da bitch blonde....)
> Shampoo is a spoled, manipulatilve, deviante little bimbo... she wants
>what SHE wants, not what could be good for her... Hands down she is the
>worst anime character! Her only point with male fans is her inherent
>stupidity and her size c chest. However, I don't think Mousse should beat
>her up...chain her and enslave her, yes...till she begs for forgiveness
>"and the love of Shampoo's rightful master, yes?". Sounds SM, but I think
>as much of a dominatrix she is, it's about time SHE got on her knees and
>begged. Mousee is too kind, too beautiful, and too gentle to be treated

Yeah! I couldn't have said it better, myself! (Well, maybe I could have, if
I decided to take the time to write it all out...) Shampoo should be forced
to do whatever Mousse wants! Mousse should be the happy one, and Shampoo
should suffer! Then we'd all be happy!

>walk down the aisle with him. I think it's not just an issue of "who should
>Shampoo get?" but, "Is Shampoo really what men percieve as female?"
>Takahasi is female, but so many men love the character of Shampoo...it just
>makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...
>someone to "win" and not "lose" like Mousse. Takahasi wrote Ranma 1/2 as
>seemingly female-predominate, but I think she made Shampoo as "male fodder".
>I don't think Shampoo serves any purpose in the story...like Kodachi and
>Ukkyo, they are just filler..."Anime cheesecake" I call it. Maybe Takahashi
>thaought that's what men wanted, and wrote accordingly...
>Oh well...

Ukyou, Shampoo and Kodachi are all just there to help get a story, really.
Same with Kunou, Mousse and even Ryouga... But I guess it's true that the
only reason why guys like Shampoo is because she's a brainless bimbo who
dyes her hair purple and she wears bimboish clothing. Oh, well... What can
you expect besides shallowness from Shampoo? At least Kodachi is only insane
and Ukyou is almost normal...

Kun-chan...

the Bithead

Jan 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/5/96
In article <4cj4el$j...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>,

Caroline Ann Seawright <kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>Mme. cybernetica <jdi...@delphi.com> writes:
>
>>Shampoo bashing....SHAMPOO BASHING!!!!!
>>HEE HEE HEE HEE HEE!
>>Now here's my two sense on that slut of sluts (Takahasi -sama should've made
^^^^^ should be 'cents'

>>da bitch blonde....)
>> Shampoo is a spoled, manipulatilve, deviante little bimbo... she wants
spoiled? manipulative? deviant?

>>what SHE wants, not what could be good for her... Hands down she is the

this goes true for most of humanity <grin>

>>worst anime character! Her only point with male fans is her inherent
>>stupidity and her size c chest. However, I don't think Mousse should beat

inherent stupidity? from where do you get this from? and her chest, i
think it should be noted, is not a C. i might be mistaken here, but i
think your generalization re: her 'only point' might be a bit too
generalized. (then too, you listed two points, not one )

>>her up...chain her and enslave her, yes...till she begs for forgiveness
>>"and the love of Shampoo's rightful master, yes?". Sounds SM, but I think
>>as much of a dominatrix she is, it's about time SHE got on her knees and

dominatrix? how so?

>>begged. Mousee is too kind, too beautiful, and too gentle to be treated

mousse is, honestly, a bit of an idiot. well, maybe that's a bit
overstated. he's blind. i don't recall him being kind ever, i do agree
he's faintly good looking, and as far as gentle goes, that goes out the
window. i don't think i've ever seen a single instance where any
violence he was involved in was started by anyone OTHER than himself.

>Yeah! I couldn't have said it better, myself! (Well, maybe I could have, if
>I decided to take the time to write it all out...) Shampoo should be forced
>to do whatever Mousse wants! Mousse should be the happy one, and Shampoo
>should suffer! Then we'd all be happy!

all?

>>walk down the aisle with him. I think it's not just an issue of "who should
>>Shampoo get?" but, "Is Shampoo really what men percieve as female?"
>>Takahasi is female, but so many men love the character of Shampoo...it just

i fail to see how the points follow. what does takahashi's gender have
to do with men loving the character of shampoo?

>>makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...

what does subduing and conquering have to do with shampoo? once she
decides on you, she will STAND BY YOU. i don't see that there's much to
conquer and subdue there, unless you drag in the old 'amazon woman law'
thing...

>>someone to "win" and not "lose" like Mousse. Takahasi wrote Ranma 1/2 as
>>seemingly female-predominate, but I think she made Shampoo as "male fodder".
>>I don't think Shampoo serves any purpose in the story...like Kodachi and

shampoo, like pretty much all the characters, is there to add
complications. no complications, no story, no plot, no interest. ho hum.

>>Ukkyo, they are just filler..."Anime cheesecake" I call it. Maybe Takahashi
>>thaought that's what men wanted, and wrote accordingly...

i find it hard to believe takahashi-sensei wrote anything just to satiate
the desires of men. then too, most of the nettouhen series doesn't
appear in the manga at all -- and as such is not quite takahashi's work.

>>Oh well...
>
>Ukyou, Shampoo and Kodachi are all just there to help get a story, really.
>Same with Kunou, Mousse and even Ryouga... But I guess it's true that the

i suppose the only characters that are 'truly' necessary are ranma and
akane. but it'd make one hell of a boring story without the supporting cast.

>only reason why guys like Shampoo is because she's a brainless bimbo who
>dyes her hair purple and she wears bimboish clothing. Oh, well... What can

this i'd definitely have to object to. she's far from brainless -- she's
probably the most wily one in the cast. then too, her clothing is
chinese. if you care to generalize ...

>you expect besides shallowness from Shampoo? At least Kodachi is only insane

quite a bit. she can cook, for one thing. ^_^

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 6, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/6/96
inf...@netcom.com (the Bithead) writes:
>In article <4cj4el$j...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>,
>Caroline Ann Seawright <kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:
>>Mme. cybernetica <jdi...@delphi.com> writes:
>>
>>>worst anime character! Her only point with male fans is her inherent
>>>stupidity and her size c chest. However, I don't think Mousse should beat
>inherent stupidity? from where do you get this from? and her chest, i
>think it should be noted, is not a C. i might be mistaken here, but i
>think your generalization re: her 'only point' might be a bit too
>generalized. (then too, you listed two points, not one )

But Shampoo's a bimbo. The only thing on her mind is getting Ranma to marry
her, then getting him into bed with her. (Not necessarily in that order)
Hmmm... not a C cup, then? What size is it? You seem to have an excessive
interest in Shampoo's bra size there, so you may as well share her correct
size with the world!

>>>her up...chain her and enslave her, yes...till she begs for forgiveness
>>>"and the love of Shampoo's rightful master, yes?". Sounds SM, but I think
>>>as much of a dominatrix she is, it's about time SHE got on her knees and
>dominatrix? how so?

Well, Shampoo always bashing Mousse and stuff. All she needs is to be
dressed in that leather gear, you know...

>>Yeah! I couldn't have said it better, myself! (Well, maybe I could have, if
>>I decided to take the time to write it all out...) Shampoo should be forced
>>to do whatever Mousse wants! Mousse should be the happy one, and Shampoo
>>should suffer! Then we'd all be happy!
>all?

Yeah, all us people who can see how much of a bimbo Shampoo is... The people
who can see past her bust size and her way-too-short dresses...

>>>makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...
>what does subduing and conquering have to do with shampoo? once she
>decides on you, she will STAND BY YOU. i don't see that there's much to
>conquer and subdue there, unless you drag in the old 'amazon woman law'
>thing...

Well, if we don't drag in the old 'Amazon woman law' thing, then you won't
be getting anywhere near Shampoo, ne? And she won't really stand by you...
Maybe lie and cheat around you so she can get you where she wants you, not
giving a damn about what you want...

>>only reason why guys like Shampoo is because she's a brainless bimbo who
>>dyes her hair purple and she wears bimboish clothing. Oh, well... What can
>this i'd definitely have to object to. she's far from brainless -- she's
>probably the most wily one in the cast. then too, her clothing is
>chinese. if you care to generalize ...

No, she's the most brainless one... not having a brain doesn't mean you can't
ruin everyone else's lives by being sneaky and manipulative. She just does
it out of instinct, or out of her great grandmother telling her what to do.
I don't think I've ever seen Shampoo concieve a plan by herself... She has
to follow someone or something else... And her clothing is Chinese style, but
compare it to the other Chinese dresses and outfits you see the other Ranma
girls wear, and she's DEFINATELY got bimboish clothes on!

>>you expect besides shallowness from Shampoo? At least Kodachi is only insane
>quite a bit. she can cook, for one thing. ^_^

Heh... Okay, shallowness and a good meal which may or may not be drugged or
laced with some potion or other, brought over from China. But then, Ukyou
can cook and she's not shallow. And you wouldn't expect her to have wierd
'extras' in her meals...

Kun-chan...

Anand Chelian

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
What the heck, I have some free time.

In article <BZBneln...@delphi.com>,

Mme. cybernetica <jdi...@delphi.com> wrote:
> Shampoo is a spoled, manipulatilve, deviante little bimbo... she wants

>what SHE wants, not what could be good for her...

Mousse is also a spoiled, manipulative, and deviant.. I hesitate on the
bimbo part... Ukyou is manipulative; Ryouga is spoiled and deviant, etc..

Hands down she is the

>worst anime character! Her only point with male fans is her inherent
>stupidity and her size c chest.

She's cute, and size c doesn't necessarily corelate 100% w/ cute IMO
(or at least for me it doesn't). She can cook.. she has business experience
(and is smart enough not to buy things from Nabiki).. she has some magical
ability/knowledge, and she can take care of herself... I'd say that was a
pretty good start.

However, I don't think Mousse should beat

>her up...chain her and enslave her, yes...till she begs for forgiveness
>"and the love of Shampoo's rightful master, yes?". Sounds SM, but I think
>as much of a dominatrix she is, it's about time SHE got on her knees and

>begged.

I think I missed where she is a dominatrix... she has not (to my knowledge)
tied anyone up that she claims to love... she has not gone around randomly
hurting or killing people (Akane yes, random people no). She has made no
attempts on anyone's life to my knowledge.

[Mousse snipped and dealt w/ elsewhere]

>Takahasi is female, but so many men love the character of Shampoo...it just

>makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...

>someone to "win" and not "lose" like Mousse.

The only people who have a chance to subdue and conquer her are Ranma and
Ryouga (and some the people who occasionally beat both of the above). I
know I wouldn't want to fight her, and neither do any of the normal characters
in the Ranmaverse. The only people who want to fight her are Akane and
Ukyou (once).

Granted that Shampoo does tease Akane and Mousse w/ her superiority over
them, but so.. lots of people can be childish.

Takahasi wrote Ranma 1/2 as
>seemingly female-predominate, but I think she made Shampoo as "male fodder".

dunno...

>I don't think Shampoo serves any purpose in the story...like Kodachi and

>Ukkyo, they are just filler..."Anime cheesecake" I call it. Maybe Takahashi
>thaought that's what men wanted, and wrote accordingly...

You do realize that Ranma has lots of beefcake as well (so to speak).. lots
of male nude scenes as well as female nude scenes.. just because the American
comic and anime audiences are primarily male-dominated and the talk centers
around what they like is no real reason to assume things about Shampoo
Kodachi or Ukyou. Perhaps you should try to read some shoujou manga and
see what the females are like there..

>Oh well...

yeah..

--
Anand Chelian | ana...@ugcs.caltech.edu
"History is made by the few, and wielded over the many."

Anand Chelian

Jan 7, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/7/96
I don't care what you think of Shampoo, but...

In article <BZBneln...@delphi.com>,
Mme. cybernetica <jdi...@delphi.com> wrote:

[rant snipped]

Mousee is too kind, too beautiful, and too gentle to be treated

>such. Men with problems of what defines masculinity say "he's a wimp",
>but if I was written into Ranma 1/2, I would be more than proud to

>walk down the aisle with him.

Mousse is a deviant bastard w/ no sense of honor. He will do anything
devious or underhanded to get his way. He doesn't care about Shampoo's
feelings, nor does he care how many other (not Shampoo) people he hurts
to get his way.

Mousse is not a wimp, he is a good martial artist, just not in Ranma's
class. He fails despite an almost overwhelming advantage in the number
of dirty tricks he can and does pull.

>Takahasi is female, but so many men love the character of Shampoo...it just
>makes me wonder if that is what men want...someone to subdue and conquer...
>someone to "win" and not "lose" like Mousse.

The only thing that Mousse will not do is attack Shampoo. Mousse will
take Shampoo however he can (short of actually beating her, which he may
not be able to do, personal desires/beliefs aside). I have seen no
evidence that either Shampoo or any other "main" character in Ranma is
into S&M or B&D.

>Cyber-chan

So, you drool over Mousse, and I'll drool over real women.. ^_-

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
> Same with Kunou, Mousse and even Ryouga... But I guess it's true that the
> only reason why guys like Shampoo is because she's a brainless bimbo who
> dyes her hair purple and she wears bimboish clothing. Oh, well... What can
> you expect besides shallowness from Shampoo? At least Kodachi is only insane
> and Ukyou is almost normal...
>
> Kun-chan...

Pity, the fools don't understand the true meaning of Shampoo-fandom.
The day of reckoning is coming,
and the hour of Sailor Nero is almost at hand.

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

--
--I--am--- \ / I just content myself dancing to the \ /
Darksphere (|) laughter of gods on fire (|)

Darkworld / Grandis / Ran / Etc: http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~aefigueroa/

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/8/96
Reasons of Why Shampoo?:
TOP TEN:
10. She kicks butt (and through walls)
9. She knows what she wants
8. Dedicated
7. Straightforward: "I Kill!"
6. Amazon Warrior
5. Beautiful
4. Cute voice
3. Dangerous
2. Trouble-making

and the number reason for liking Shampoo
1. She does it all for love and is tragically destined to fail!

(I shall now hide from the Shampoo fans who didn't want to hear that!)

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96
aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:
>> Same with Kunou, Mousse and even Ryouga... But I guess it's true that the
>> only reason why guys like Shampoo is because she's a brainless bimbo who
>> dyes her hair purple and she wears bimboish clothing. Oh, well... What can
>> you expect besides shallowness from Shampoo? At least Kodachi is only insane
>> and Ukyou is almost normal...
>Pity, the fools don't understand the true meaning of Shampoo-fandom.
>The day of reckoning is coming,
>and the hour of Sailor Nero is almost at hand.

But the foolish fools in this 'Shampoo-fandom' will be no match for the power
of the Church of Ryouga-kamisama!

Kun-chan...

Victor W. Wong

Jan 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/9/96

"What you mean? Everyone know Shampoo can beat stupid pig-boy easy. When
Shampoo first meet Ryoga, Shampoo try serving it sushi-style to reluctant
groom. (At time, Shampoo not know pig-boy was human.) Later on, Shampoo
find out about lousy sense of direction when Great-Grandmother try cooking
Ryoga. So Shampoo can beat pig-boy easy--all Shampoo do is throw water
and kick Ryoga all way to China. Right, Ryoga?"

"Buh-KEEEEEE! KWEEEEE! KWEEEE!"

***
*******
***********
***************
******************
*********************
***********************
*************************
+BLACK ADDER-------------------------PORTMERION+
| /^^\ /\ +----+/^^\+-++-+ /\ +-\/-+ /\ |\ |||
|| TASK FORCE ++ /\| || | | | | \|||
|| (_ | || || | | ~~ | | | | ||
|| | __ || || \/| __ | __ ||\/|| __ 逖\ ||
| \__/|_||_||__| \__/|_||_|_||_|| ||_||_|| \||
+YATSURA------------------------RANGER SQUADRON+
******************* **********
**************** ********
************ *******
******** Rear-Admiral Victor Wong ****
****** Task Force Commander ***
** ah...@freenet.carleton.ca *
--
Copyright (C) 1995 Victor W. Wong. All rights reserved.

shi...@fn1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/10/96
Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:

: But the foolish fools in this 'Shampoo-fandom' will be no match for

: the power of the Church of Ryouga-kamisama!

Not to mention the Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama! (What, doesn't
anyone out there like both Nabiki and Kodachi at the same time?)

But about Shampoo. I personally find it difficult to take anyone who
sounds like baby Miss Piggy seriously (and I'm talking about her original
voice, too). She's also just too damn cutesy for my tastes. Hey, I'm an
anime-in-general fan before a Sailor Moon fan! ^_^;

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| -_^ PAUL CORDEIRO, self-appointed diehard anime fan. ^_- |

David Leader

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96

Shampoo's a very in-depth character like almost all in the series...
heck, if she wasn't, there wouldn't be this sort of debate, n' est
pa?

I personally don't find her overly attractivly drawn, but find
myself enjoying the character because:

1) She does truly love Ranma and her great-grandmother, and does
her best to take care of both of them. One might argue that
she is "manipulative" and "vindicitive", but look at her position:
she is madly in love with a man whom she has to share with no
less than three other women. Her dedication to him proves
her love. Also, in "Despratly Seeking", we saw how much she
hated him with the jewel on, and that jewel directly reverses
true feelings.

2) She reminds me a lot of "Lum" from the Urusei Yatsura
series. Both are involved with men who pretend to have no
interest in them. Both are in cultures which are very different
from their own and are hard to adapt to.

3) Except when she's bashing people away from Ranma, she tends
to be a very nice and polite person.

Just my opinion
-Dave

David H. Wong

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
-> From: Blade <dleb...@upei.ca>
-> Subject: Re: Shampoo Bashing! (was Ranma 1/2: Denial)
->
-> Okay...you're more or less correct about Shampoo, and Kodachi, but
-> calling Ukyou-sama "cheesecake" is just a tad too much, don't you
-> think?
-> As I'm the (self-proclaimed) #1 Ukyou fan on the planet, my opinion c
-> be slightly biased, but let's look at the facts(this assumes that wha
-> you watched was the Viz dubs): Ukyou is the most intelligent, mature,
-> self-sufficient of Ranma's fiancees. She owns and operates her own
-> business, Ucchan's, with a great deal of competence. Unlike Shampoo,

I have to agree, Ukyou's been more a friend to Ranma than any other girl
in Ranma 1/2 (Akane cares about Ranma more than anyone, but she's not
exactly his friend :) ...Ukyou's pretty much the good girl while Shampoo
and Kodachi are the BAD.

Ukyou doesn't play the dirty tricks like the other two, and she seems to
care about Ranma also instead of mostly caring about herself like the
other two. In the next OAV there's an episode from Ranma Super about
the Heartbreak Cave, (manga #20something??) in which Ukyou did try to
"break up" Akane and Ranma by sending them to a cursed cave where all
couples are destined to break up. I don't think she was the sole author
of the idea, and it's not really a dirty trick compared to what Kodachi
and Shampoo cook up regularly so it's alright in my book <g> Besides,
it's pointless to "break up" Akane and Ranma because there's nothing
there to break up (it gets really funny near the end, I watched the
subbed version at No-Name Anime a plug 4 dem :)

Anyways, I agree with you... Ukyou is a nice girl and I like her.

Shawn Kester

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96

Mousse is a wuss.
The guy just has no convictions.
He says that he loves Shampoo, he says that he wants to marry her.
But does he actually do what it takes. No.
I believe he is actually capable of defeating Shampoo, and I think so does she. And it would get really tiring hearing how someone loves
you day in and day out, and how they want to spend the rest of their
life with you, but do not have the guts to prove it. That person would
loose my respect pretty quickly, I'm suprised that Shampoo still allows
him to stick around.

The way he sticks around and fawns over Shampoo, you'd think he was
under the effect of a love potion or something.

Shawn
(Waiting to burn at the hands of all those Mouse lovers).

Blade

Jan 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/11/96
Okay...you're more or less correct about Shampoo, and Kodachi, but
calling Ukyou-sama "cheesecake" is just a tad too much, don't you think?
As I'm the (self-proclaimed) #1 Ukyou fan on the planet, my opinion could
be slightly biased, but let's look at the facts(this assumes that what
you watched was the Viz dubs): Ukyou is the most intelligent, mature, and
self-sufficient of Ranma's fiancees. She owns and operates her own
business, Ucchan's, with a great deal of competence. Unlike Shampoo, she
does not go out of the way to show off her body. Before you even say it,
Movie#2 doesn't count. Rumiko Takahashi did not do _anything_ remotely
like it in the manga, so that was the writer/animator's fault. In fact,
Ukyou generally wears either her okonomiyaki chef's outfit(like in
Movie#1), or comfortable, somewhat boyish clothes(like in Desperately
seeking Shampoo). Intelligence? Ignoring the fact that she plays Ryouga
like a ten-cent flute in Movie#2, Ukyou(at least in her earlier
anime/manga appearences) uses more intelligent, well-thought-out plans to
try and win Ranma. For example, instead of trying to kill Akane(like
Shampoo and Kodachi), she instead sets up Akane and Ryouga on a date,
which had a better chance of succeeding anyway. You can complain that
she's slavishly devoted to Ranma, but...there wouldn't really be a
conflict if she wasn't that much in love with him, so the point is moot.
It is also worthwhile to note that of all of Ranma's fiancee's, Ukyou is
the only one who can count herself his friend, as well. She isn't always
chasing him, either. For instance, in the Gambler King episodes/issues,
Ukyou tries to help Ranma learn to play cards. Shampoo or Kodachi would
undoubtedly extort something(like a date) out of Ranma, but Ukyou simply
did it because he needed the help...not that she minded spending the time
with him. BTW, somebody said in an earlier thread that Ukyou, later in
the manga, becomes the same sort of conniving Ranma-chaser as Shampoo and
Kodachi. Since I don't read tankoubans(sic?), I can't prove or disprove
that. If it's true, that will be a pity, because it would detract
greatly from the intrestingness of her character. Whatever happens
later, Ukyou should _not_ be lumped with Shampoo and Kodachi as simply
another piece of Ranma-chasing eye candy, because she's not. I suggest
reading both the current Ranma 1/2 part 5 issues and the upcoming TV
videos with Ukyou for proof of that.

Blade
(BTW: Methinks someone was playing Ranma 1/2: Hard Battle. Ukkyo?!?)

James Baranovich

Jan 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/12/96

[ABSOLUT NOISE] (dibs)

In a previous article, dle...@mathcs.emory.edu (David Leader) wrote:

>Shampoo's a very in-depth character like almost all in the series...
>heck, if she wasn't, there wouldn't be this sort of debate, n' est
>pa?

..., n'est-ce pas? = ..., ne? :) Pardon my French. :)
And my Japanese.

> 2) She reminds me a lot of "Lum" from the Urusei Yatsura
> series. Both are involved with men who pretend to have no
> interest in them. Both are in cultures which are very different
> from their own and are hard to adapt to.

There's another reason for that similarity.

*** Shampoo is an ONI! *** :)

Let's start up that thread again, please!

--
Jim Baranovich, hh...@cleveland.freenet.edu Sailormoon ga suki desu nee

Bi shou jo sen shi

U AmiAmiAmiAmiAmi M
s i
UsagiUsagiUsagiUs MinakoMinakoMin c Rei
g a a h
i g Makoto k Haruka i Setsuna i
U i o r u b
s o u r Chi
ag ak M i ChibiChibi
iUsagiUsagi MinakoMin ichiruMichiruMich

A note to Jubei, if you're reading this:
My .sig above will soon be revised to slightly rearrange it and to
add Sailor Saturn, Hotaru Tomoe.

David L Burkhead

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.96011...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> writes:

[ 8< ]

> Well, yes (actually, nobody in the comic sections of the Rumikoverse
>ever gets seriously hurt, I've noticed; drop a mountain on them, and it
>just causes flesh wounds. It's not like over in those places where
>people eat mermaid flesh, and develop REAL problems!)

And a pet peeve of mine is where this is used as an excuse for
the actions of characters ("After all, you one _really_ gets hurt.").
Well, you know that, and _I_ know that, but _Ryouga_ doesn't know
that. When the characters become aware that they are characters in an
anime movie, is when the show gets too silly for my taste and I go
elsewhere.

> But it has belatedly dawned on me: The law says an OUTSIDER male who
>beats an Amazon in combat becomes her husband, whether he likes it or
>not. But Mousse ISN'T an outsider, he and Shampoo grew up together, he's
>from her village! Which means beating her WON'T give him her hand or any
>other body part in marriage (unless there's a matching law for such
>situations somewhere else in the rulebook); he HAS to woo her and win her
>with love alone, he has no other option! Poor kid.

They may have grown up together, but Mousse could _not_ be from
her village. It's an _Amazon_ village, remember. By definition that
makes _any_ male an outsider. The law, as quoted in the anime, is
that if an outsider beats an Amazon, then, if that outsider is a
woman, the Amazon must track her down and kill her, if it's a man, she
must marry him. It does not mean that there are non-outsider men. In
fact, there can't be. If there were, they wouldn't be Amazons.
That's what the word means.

> Whether she deserves him, or he deserves her: That's a different
>matter altogether.

She doesn't deserve him, and he deserves better than a psycho,
kill-thing, attack bitch. (Boy, I bet _that_ gets the flames going!)

David L. Burkhead
r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>>>The day of reckoning is coming,
>>>and the hour of Sailor Nero is almost at hand.
>> But the foolish fools in this 'Shampoo-fandom' will be no match for the power
>> of the Church of Ryouga-kamisama!
>"What you mean? Everyone know Shampoo can beat stupid pig-boy easy. When
>Shampoo first meet Ryoga, Shampoo try serving it sushi-style to reluctant
>groom. (At time, Shampoo not know pig-boy was human.) Later on, Shampoo
>find out about lousy sense of direction when Great-Grandmother try cooking
>Ryoga. So Shampoo can beat pig-boy easy--all Shampoo do is throw water
>and kick Ryoga all way to China. Right, Ryoga?"

>"Buh-KEEEEEE! KWEEEEE! KWEEEE!"

Ah, but what you failed to take into account was the Church of Ryouga-kamisama,
not Ryouga-kamisama himself. He wouldn't lower himself to beating up on a
brainless bimbo, so is honourable enough to let her beat him, instead, ne?
Therefore, I shall beat Shampoo to a pulp, myself! Ohohohohohohohohohohoho!
Oops, gomen na sai. I shouldn't get carried away... I'll let the rest of the
church join in with the beating.

Kun-chan...

Frank

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96

On 1 Jan 1996, Michael W. Dean wrote:

> In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.95123...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>,
> Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> wrote:
> >together - excepting the possibility of a errant love potion - is if he follows
> >Amazon law and defeats her in combat, earning the right to be her
> >husband. I think he could do it if he really went at her; I mean, this is
> >Mousse we're talking about, he could probably pull a Sherman tank out
> >of those hidden weapon pockets of his and smash her head in with it if he
> >really wanted to. The trouble is he loves her too much to risk hurting her,
> >so he pulls his punches... and loses. If there were just some way to turn
> >Mousse's love to hate for one match, say by using the brooch from
> >"Desperately Seeking Shampoo", wedding bells would be imminent! As
> >soon as Shampoo got out of her hospital bed, that is.
> >

> Actually, we must recall that in the episode you mention, Ranma defeats
> Shampoo in combat without hurting her. Mousse could probably do the same
> thing with little effort (those weighted rope things of his would do the job
> nicely). I think the boy wants her to fall in love with him of her own free
> will, instead of invoking that very cruel Amazon law.
>
> Mike

Well, yes (actually, nobody in the comic sections of the Rumikoverse
ever gets seriously hurt, I've noticed; drop a mountain on them, and it
just causes flesh wounds. It's not like over in those places where
people eat mermaid flesh, and develop REAL problems!)

But it has belatedly dawned on me: The law says an OUTSIDER male who
beats an Amazon in combat becomes her husband, whether he likes it or
not. But Mousse ISN'T an outsider, he and Shampoo grew up together, he's
from her village! Which means beating her WON'T give him her hand or any
other body part in marriage (unless there's a matching law for such
situations somewhere else in the rulebook); he HAS to woo her and win her
with love alone, he has no other option! Poor kid.

Whether she deserves him, or he deserves her: That's a different
matter altogether.

FW

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96
shi...@fn1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:
>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>: But the foolish fools in this 'Shampoo-fandom' will be no match for
>: the power of the Church of Ryouga-kamisama!
>Not to mention the Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama! (What, doesn't
>anyone out there like both Nabiki and Kodachi at the same time?)

Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
itself... We shall let you join in...

Kun-chan...

Victor W. Wong

Jan 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/13/96

David L Burkhead (r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu) writes:
>> But it has belatedly dawned on me: The law says an OUTSIDER male who
>>beats an Amazon in combat becomes her husband, whether he likes it or
>>not. But Mousse ISN'T an outsider, he and Shampoo grew up together, he's
>>from her village! Which means beating her WON'T give him her hand or any
>>other body part in marriage (unless there's a matching law for such
>>situations somewhere else in the rulebook); he HAS to woo her and win her
>>with love alone, he has no other option! Poor kid.
>
> They may have grown up together, but Mousse could _not_ be from
> her village. It's an _Amazon_ village, remember. By definition that
> makes _any_ male an outsider. The law, as quoted in the anime, is
> that if an outsider beats an Amazon, then, if that outsider is a
> woman, the Amazon must track her down and kill her, if it's a man, she
> must marry him. It does not mean that there are non-outsider men. In
> fact, there can't be. If there were, they wouldn't be Amazons.
> That's what the word means.

Actually, it doesn't. "Amazon" means "female warrior." It does NOT mean
"women only." There ARE men in the Amazon village (in Graphic Novel #4,
we see Shampoo's unnamed father, for example); they just aren't considered
warrior material.

>> Whether she deserves him, or he deserves her: That's a different
>>matter altogether.
>

> She doesn't deserve him, and he deserves better than a psycho,
> kill-thing, attack bitch. (Boy, I bet _that_ gets the flames going!)

What Shampoo deserves is Ataru Moroboshi. What Mousse deserves is
Princess Kurama.

> David L. Burkhead
> r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu

shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:

: Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although

: however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
: itself... We shall let you join in...

Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-

The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo

"Targeto Lock!" ^_^;;;

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| -_^ PAUL CORDEIRO, self-appointed diehard anime fan. ^_- |
| ^o^ 16 and sittin' strong! ^o^ |
| *_* ---------- *_* |
| Quote o' the week: |

| "Oh shit, someone else is out of alcohol!" --Fujisawa-sensei |
| Fight o' the week: |
| Ai-chan (VGAi) vs Holli Would (Cool World) |

Victor W. Wong

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96

Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) writes:
> shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:
>>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>>: Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
>>: however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
>>: itself... We shall let you join in...
>>Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-
>>The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
>> Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
>> Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo
>>"Targeto Lock!" ^_^;;;
>
> The Church of Ryouga-kamisama: Membership currently at 8 and growing
>
> *picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>
> "The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
> to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
> Or else... *boom*"
>
> "Attack!"
>
> Kun-chan...

But the forces of the two churches are suddenly blocked by one man in
their path. A man with black flowing hair and a white robe.

"NOOOOOOO!" he cries. "You shall never harm my Shampoo!"

"But we do this for you, Mousse!" the followers cry.

"Never!" cries out Mousse. "No matter what you do to me, I shall NEVER
give up my love for Shampoo! If you want to kill her, you must kill ME!"

The followers hesitate, then realize that no matter what they do, they can
NEVER win Mousse's heart, as Shampoo could. With a collective cry of despair,
they commit hara-kiri and die where they are.

And everyone else lives happily ever after ... more or less.

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96

David L Burkhead

Jan 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/14/96
In article <DL4tt...@freenet.carleton.ca> ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:

>David L Burkhead (r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu) writes:

[ 8< the word "Amazon" >8 ]

>Actually, it doesn't. "Amazon" means "female warrior." It does NOT mean
>"women only." There ARE men in the Amazon village (in Graphic Novel #4,
>we see Shampoo's unnamed father, for example); they just aren't considered
>warrior material.

Actually, the word "Amazon" most emphatically _does_ mean a
group that excludes men. There have been plenty of women warriors
throughout history (well, maybe not "plenty" depending on how you
define the word), but actual Amazons appear to only be found in myth.
The word is not just a generic term for "woman warrior." Call any
woman soldier an "amazon" in the army _I_ served alongside (I was Air
Force) and prepare to give your dentist lots of reconstruction work.

The term comes from Greek mythology and not only included the
exclusion of men from the group, but active _war_ on men for the crime
of being of the male persuasion. The term includes more than just
"female warrior" but carries those other conotations as well. In such
a group, even men living in close proximity would be "outsiders."

As for Shampoo's unnamed father, he is probably an outsider too.
Shampoo's mother probably aquired him as a husband for the same reason
Shampoo is trying to acquire Ranma as husband--he beat her in combat.

>>> Whether she deserves him, or he deserves her: That's a different
>>>matter altogether.
>>
>> She doesn't deserve him, and he deserves better than a psycho,
>> kill-thing, attack bitch. (Boy, I bet _that_ gets the flames going!)
>
>What Shampoo deserves is Ataru Moroboshi. What Mousse deserves is
>Princess Kurama.

Well, now, I personally think Ataru gets more grief and more
abuse than he deserves. Sure, he's a lech, but he's also a teenage
boy. The two terms ("lech" and "teenage boy") are practically
interchangable. He's just a little more open about it than most. He
loses points in tact, but makes them up in frankness. (Now, if you
want to talk about that physically abusive SO of his. . . .)

David L. Burkhea
r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu

Victor W. Wong

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) writes:
>>> *picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>>>
>>> "The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
>>> to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
>>> Or else... *boom*"
>>>
>>> "Attack!"
>>But the forces of the two churches are suddenly blocked by one man in
>>their path. A man with black flowing hair and a white robe.
>
>>"NOOOOOOO!" he cries. "You shall never harm my Shampoo!"
>
>>"But we do this for you, Mousse!" the followers cry.
>
>>"Never!" cries out Mousse. "No matter what you do to me, I shall NEVER
>>give up my love for Shampoo! If you want to kill her, you must kill ME!"
>
> But... the followers only PRETENDED to commit harakiri... While Mousse
> wanders off, they pull out their special attack... Cyber-chan gets thrown
> at Mousse! While she keeps him busy, everyone runs towards the evil, nasty
> purple-headed bimbo known as Shampoo to kill her...

"Throw your grenades!" the followers cry, and nine nuclear grenades
fly in an arc towards Shampoo.

But Shampoo, forewarned and forearmed by her great-grandmother, has
prepared for this attack, using the "Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire"
combined with the "Bakusai Tenketsu" to tag each grenade as they come
in, causing them to disintegrate without exploding their deadly payload.

"Uh-oh," the followers mutter.

Bonbori materialize in Shampoo's hands, and she sets about her attackers,
rendering them unconscious and broken in 30 seconds. She now spots her
enemy--Kun-chan--attacking Mousse.

But Mousse is the master of hidden weapons, and Kun-chan finds herself
tangled up in chains and ropes. "How DARE you attack my Shampoo!" he
roars out.

"Shampoo stop this nonsense once and for all!" She pulls out a bottle
of Formula 119 and uses it to wash all memory of Mousse from the dazed
Kun-chan, rendered helpless by Mousse's bonds. Certain pressure
points on Kun-chan's head are stimulated, replacing the object of her
affections with ... someone else ...

*****

"Wow, that's some story," says Ranma, later on in the Cat Cafe.

"Yeah. I didn't realize you cared for Mousse all that much," adds
Akane, as Shampoo puts a ramen bowl in front of her.

"Shampoo? Is that ... is that true?" asks Mousse, pushing his glasses
onto his eyes and looking at Shampoo intently.

"But--Shampoo no care for Mousse," stammers Shampoo. "Mousse is friend
and fun to play with, but that all. Shampoo save Mousse because Mousse no
deserve violent fate from Kun-chan. We just friends and friends help each
other. That all. Okay, Mousse?"

The others exchange knowing glances at each other.

"Be that as it may," asks Nabiki, slurping in a noodle, "what exactly
did you do to Kun-chan?"

"Oh," replies Shampoo, "I replace her fantasy lover with someone else.
Someone who need being chased once in a while--"

The party suddenly hears cries of "Help! HAAAAAAAALP!" They look out the
front window, to see--

The little form of Hikaru Gosunkugi, face filled with terror, being chased by
several females led by Kun-chan, a look of madness in her eyes.

"Voodoo-dollboy now have new friends to play with," Shampoo smiles.

"Shampoo," giggles Akane, "that's cruel."

"Shampoo may not be smart as Ranma," she replies, "but no one can say
Shampoo no have sense of irony."

And once again, everyone lived happily ever after--more or less ...

Frank

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96

On 15 Jan 1996, Caroline Ann Seawright wrote:

> aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:

> >Alas, the attempt is doomed to fail as Shampoo is a Babe of Death and
> >Destruction. The Churches of others cannot help to be reduced to rubble in her
> >wake. (although Nabiki would still make a profit)
>
> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as Shampoo is
> THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not one thought
> enters that pretty little head of hers. And while everyone from Ranma 1/2
> and all the followers celebrate (apart from Cologne who kills herself for
> letting her great grand-daughter die, and Mousse, but he's too busy with
> Cyber-chan), Shampoo's pretty body is left for hentai otaku to 'play'with. Everyone is happy! Waiwai!
>
> Kun-chan...

My word, poor Shampoo is getting rather thoroughly bashed, here.
In her partial defense, I'd like to make a point. Yes, I know she is
cruel, underhanded, doesn't deserve Mousse, etc. But! WHY is she this
way? I think we can all agree she isn't very bright (cunning, yes;
bright, no way). In her actions toward Ranma, Mousse, Akane, etc, she's
doing what she's been TOLD is right and in accord with the rules of her
Amazon civilization. And who, pray tell, do you think has been filling
her empty little purple head with these thoughts? Who is the person
Shampoo looks to for guidence in any situation requiring brain cells?
Uh-huh, the villain here isn't Shampoo, it's Colonge! Get rid of THAT
old ghoul, and while I doubt Shampoo will reform overnight, she MIGHT
eventually stop being such a villain, beating Mousse, chasing Ranma...
Or maybe not.

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960115...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>, Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> writes:

> On 15 Jan 1996, Caroline Ann Seawright wrote:
>
>> aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:

>> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as Shampoo is
>> THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not one thought
>> enters that pretty little head of hers. And while everyone from Ranma 1/2

Well, you don't see her being unable to recognize the fact that others have a
right to like characters other than your favorite. You don't see her
participating in childish character bashing threads do you?

Plus, being direct doesn't make one a bimbo or thoughtless. Get a clue.
Don't bash.

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) writes:
>> shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:
>>>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>>>: Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
>>>: however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
>>>: itself... We shall let you join in...
>>>Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-
>>>The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
>>> Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
>>> Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo
>>>"Targeto Lock!" ^_^;;;
>> The Church of Ryouga-kamisama: Membership currently at 8 and growing
>>
>> *picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>>
>> "The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
>> to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
>> Or else... *boom*"
>>
>> "Attack!"
>But the forces of the two churches are suddenly blocked by one man in
>their path. A man with black flowing hair and a white robe.

>"NOOOOOOO!" he cries. "You shall never harm my Shampoo!"

>"But we do this for you, Mousse!" the followers cry.

>"Never!" cries out Mousse. "No matter what you do to me, I shall NEVER
>give up my love for Shampoo! If you want to kill her, you must kill ME!"

>The followers hesitate, then realize that no matter what they do, they can

>NEVER win Mousse's heart, as Shampoo could. With a collective cry of despair,
>they commit hara-kiri and die where they are.

>And everyone else lives happily ever after ... more or less.

But... the followers only PRETENDED to commit harakiri... While Mousse

wanders off, they pull out their special attack... Cyber-chan gets thrown
at Mousse! While she keeps him busy, everyone runs towards the evil, nasty
purple-headed bimbo known as Shampoo to kill her...

Kun-chan...

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <DL4tt...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:

> David L Burkhead (r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu) writes:
>>> But it has belatedly dawned on me: The law says an OUTSIDER male who
>>>beats an Amazon in combat becomes her husband, whether he likes it or
>>>not. But Mousse ISN'T an outsider, he and Shampoo grew up together, he's
>>>from her village! Which means beating her WON'T give him her hand or any
>>
>> She doesn't deserve him, and he deserves better than a psycho,
>> kill-thing, attack bitch. (Boy, I bet _that_ gets the flames going!)

No, because that was too childish and spiteful (one I'll respond to in kind,
not both)

> What Shampoo deserves is Ataru Moroboshi. What Mousse deserves is
> Princess Kurama.

Ataru has a Shampoo, her name's Lum. He'd be trading in electric shocks for
physical damage. I do agree that Ataru would be better for her than Ranma
(Ataru at least loves his fiance somewhere deep inside).

Mousse deserves better than Kuruma. That would be one night stand which is all
she's interested in. Anyway, Shampoo actually has acknowledged his existance
and love for her, unfortunately, he always then started talking to a rock
thinking it's her!
Plus, whether or not he defeats anyone, Ranma will still have been the one to
defeat her first.

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96

> Ah, Kodachi Kuno, graceful and venomous, like a cobra on the hunt.
> Nabiko Tendo, bursting with healthy cyncism.
> Oh, whichever shall I choose???
> I cannot bear to part with either!!!

Picking either one is asking for it.
Do you have lots of stamina or lots of money?

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:
>In article <DL6Ms...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>>
>> Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) writes:
>>>
>>> The Church of Ryouga-kamisama: Membership currently at 8 and growing
>>>
>>> *picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>>>
>>> "The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
>>> to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
>>> Or else... *boom*"

>Alas, the attempt is doomed to fail as Shampoo is a Babe of Death and

>Destruction. The Churches of others cannot help to be reduced to rubble in her
>wake. (although Nabiki would still make a profit)

Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as Shampoo is

THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not one thought
enters that pretty little head of hers. And while everyone from Ranma 1/2

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/15/96
In article <DL6Ms...@freenet.carleton.ca>, ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:

> Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) writes:
>> shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:
>>>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>>>: Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
>>>: however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
>>>: itself... We shall let you join in...
>>>Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-
>>>The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
>>> Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
>>> Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo
>>>"Targeto Lock!" ^_^;;;
>>
>> The Church of Ryouga-kamisama: Membership currently at 8 and growing
>>
>> *picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>>
>> "The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
>> to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
>> Or else... *boom*"

Alas, the attempt is doomed to fail as Shampoo is a Babe of Death and
Destruction. The Churches of others cannot help to be reduced to rubble in her
wake. (although Nabiki would still make a profit)

--

--I--am--- \ / I just content myself dancing to the \ /
Darksphere (|) laughter of gods on fire (|)
----------

considered a Follower of Naga
tap once for random explosion

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:
>In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.960115...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>, Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> writes:

>>> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as Shampoo is
>>> THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not one thought
>>> enters that pretty little head of hers. And while everyone from Ranma 1/2

>Well, you don't see her being unable to recognize the fact that others have a

>right to like characters other than your favorite. You don't see her
>participating in childish character bashing threads do you?

Well, I hate to break this to you... But Shampoo isn't real! She's a manga
character who isn't online on any computer (and probably wouldn't know what
to do with one if she got one). But I do see her bashing other characters
who don't deserve it, and forcing herself on others who don't want a thing
to do with her! And I never said that people can't like other characters...
I just said that I don't like Shampoo, so beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeda!

>Plus, being direct doesn't make one a bimbo or thoughtless. Get a clue.
>Don't bash.

Ah, but not having a brain used for thought makes one a bimbo. *hands you
a clue* There you go, a clue all for yourself! Now don't use it all in one
place! If you want any more, please ask again.

Kun-chan...

David H. Wong

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
-> "Voodoo-dollboy now have new friends to play with," Shampoo smiles.
->
-> "Shampoo," giggles Akane, "that's cruel."
->
-> "Shampoo may not be smart as Ranma," she replies, "but no one can say
-> Shampoo no have sense of irony."

You know, before I read that, and laughed out loud, I kind of object to
fanfics. But now I kinda want to go and download some...

that was funny

David H. Wong

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
-> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as
-> Shampoo is THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not
-> one thought enters that pretty little head of hers. And while
-> everyone from Ranma 1/2

aw c'mon, you'd have to admit that to come up with all those dirty
tricks require at least some braincells... Shampoo is QUITE sneaky-
especially during the instant nanichuan caper!

The shrine of bricks isn't as deep in meaning and reverance as the
shrine of the heart...

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:

>>>But the forces of the two churches are suddenly blocked by one man in
>>>their path. A man with black flowing hair and a white robe.
>>
>>>"NOOOOOOO!" he cries. "You shall never harm my Shampoo!"
>>
>>>"But we do this for you, Mousse!" the followers cry.
>>
>>>"Never!" cries out Mousse. "No matter what you do to me, I shall NEVER
>>>give up my love for Shampoo! If you want to kill her, you must kill ME!"
>>
>> But... the followers only PRETENDED to commit harakiri... While Mousse
>> wanders off, they pull out their special attack... Cyber-chan gets thrown
>> at Mousse! While she keeps him busy, everyone runs towards the evil, nasty
>> purple-headed bimbo known as Shampoo to kill her...
>>

>"Uh-oh," the followers mutter.

>*****

>"Voodoo-dollboy now have new friends to play with," Shampoo smiles.

>"Shampoo," giggles Akane, "that's cruel."

>"Shampoo may not be smart as Ranma," she replies, "but no one can say

>Shampoo no have sense of irony."

>And once again, everyone lived happily ever after--more or less ...

*ROTFL* As long as I still get Ryouga-kamisama, I'll be happy. ^_^

Kun-chan...

Timo Berthold

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>
> : Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
> : however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
> : itself... We shall let you join in...
>
> Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-
>
> The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
> Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
> Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo

Nani??? Only one member? That mustn't be.
Where may I sign to support the holy cause of beating Shampoo and
praise the grace and beauty of Kunou Kodachi and Tendou Nabiki?

Shall the "Banner with the Yen crossed by black roses" lead us to final
victory over the blasphemic hordes of the purple haired bimbo.

Timo Berthold

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
shi...@fn1.freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> Question: What if Ryouga, Nabiki, or Kodachi are in the way?
> Answer: We cease fire for the moment.

They won't be in the way, because we know them on our side cheering
at our triumph.

Timo Berthold

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
Knight of the Black Rose wrote:
> > Ah, Kodachi Kuno, graceful and venomous, like a cobra on the hunt.
> > Nabiko Tendo, bursting with healthy cyncism.
> > Oh, whichever shall I choose???
> > I cannot bear to part with either!!!
>
> Picking either one is asking for it.
> Do you have lots of stamina or lots of money?

BTW, how can you even dare to bear the holy title of a Knight of the
Black Rose and then spit on the pure and unblemished reputation of
Kodachi Kuno? ;-)

Wei-Hwa Huang

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:

>In article <DL4tt...@freenet.carleton.ca> ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>>David L Burkhead (r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu) writes:
>[ 8< the word "Amazon" >8 ]
>>
>>Actually, it doesn't. "Amazon" means "female warrior." It does NOT mean
>>"women only." There ARE men in the Amazon village (in Graphic Novel #4,
>>we see Shampoo's unnamed father, for example); they just aren't considered
>>warrior material.

> Actually, the word "Amazon" most emphatically _does_ mean a
>group that excludes men. There have been plenty of women warriors
>throughout history (well, maybe not "plenty" depending on how you
>define the word), but actual Amazons appear to only be found in myth.
>The word is not just a generic term for "woman warrior." Call any
>woman soldier an "amazon" in the army _I_ served alongside (I was Air
>Force) and prepare to give your dentist lots of reconstruction work.

> The term comes from Greek mythology and not only included the
>exclusion of men from the group, but active _war_ on men for the crime
>of being of the male persuasion. The term includes more than just
>"female warrior" but carries those other conotations as well. In such
>a group, even men living in close proximity would be "outsiders."

If you're going to get technical, the word "Amazon" means "breastless"
in ancient Greek, which Shampoo most definitely is *not*. ^_^
[Honto ni! The Greeks wrote that the Amazons cut off their breasts
because it interfered with using bows and other weapons. Sounds painful.]

"Amazon" in the context of Ranma 1/2 is merely a closest alternative to
translating "Joketsuzoku" as a literal meaning of, oh, "Female Superior
Clan." If you think that the word "Amazon" has extra connotations and
meanings, they weren't intended by Rumiko Takahashi. To my knowledge,
the Joketsuzoku do not and have not ever existed in China or in Chinese
legends.

--
Wei-Hwa Huang, whu...@cco.caltech.edu, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/
Reality only works when you use it. -- Instruction booklet, Reality

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/16/96
Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> writes:
>On 15 Jan 1996, Caroline Ann Seawright wrote:
>> aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (Knight of the Black Rose) writes:

>> >Alas, the attempt is doomed to fail as Shampoo is a Babe of Death and
>> >Destruction. The Churches of others cannot help to be reduced to rubble in her
>> >wake. (although Nabiki would still make a profit)
>>
>> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as Shampoo is
>> THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not one thought
>> enters that pretty little head of hers. And while everyone from Ranma 1/2
>> and all the followers celebrate (apart from Cologne who kills herself for
>> letting her great grand-daughter die, and Mousse, but he's too busy with
>> Cyber-chan), Shampoo's pretty body is left for hentai otaku to 'play'with. Everyone is happy! Waiwai!
> My word, poor Shampoo is getting rather thoroughly bashed, here.
> In her partial defense, I'd like to make a point. Yes, I know she is
>cruel, underhanded, doesn't deserve Mousse, etc. But! WHY is she this
>way? I think we can all agree she isn't very bright (cunning, yes;
>bright, no way). In her actions toward Ranma, Mousse, Akane, etc, she's
>doing what she's been TOLD is right and in accord with the rules of her
>Amazon civilization. And who, pray tell, do you think has been filling
>her empty little purple head with these thoughts? Who is the person
>Shampoo looks to for guidence in any situation requiring brain cells?
>Uh-huh, the villain here isn't Shampoo, it's Colonge! Get rid of THAT
>old ghoul, and while I doubt Shampoo will reform overnight, she MIGHT
>eventually stop being such a villain, beating Mousse, chasing Ranma...
> Or maybe not.

Okay. Let's just launch a killer attack on the whole tribe! Kill off
Cologne and Shampoo first, then get rid of the rest of the bunch! Then
no more Shampoo-like girls going to attack people who beat them up,
since they're all dead! Yatta!! Good idea!!!

Kun-chan...

Caroline Ann Seawright

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

Of course, as they should be. They shall await our victory, then reward
their followers in any way they see fit once we win the battle! I will
do ANYTHING for Ryouga-kamisama! Even let unclean blood of purple headed
bimbos soil my skin!! Ryouga-kamisama!! This is for you!!! ^_^

Kun-chan...

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
> Well, I hate to break this to you... But Shampoo isn't real! She's a manga
> character who isn't online on any computer (and probably wouldn't know what
> to do with one if she got one). But I do see her bashing other characters
> who don't deserve it, and forcing herself on others who don't want a thing

Maybe they do deserve it. Maybe they do want it.
In any case, it sure is fun which is the point of Ranma.

> I just said that I don't like Shampoo, so beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeda!

No you didn't. You were name calling. Didn't you grow out of that in high
school? I was making the point that character bashing is childish. It is.
If you want to say something, say it. If you want to make a point, do it.
Now don't you have something better to do? Or, will you keep being a bimbo?
Have a nice life.

--
--I--am--- \ / I just content myself dancing to the \ /
Darksphere (|) laughter of gods on fire (|)
----------

Davidson Corry

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

In <4d9lhd$3...@kira.cc.uakron.edu>, r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu
(David L Burkhead) wrote:
: Actually, the word "Amazon" most emphatically _does_ mean a
: group that excludes men. ...The term comes from Greek mythology and

: not only included the exclusion of men from the group, but active

: _war_ on men for the crime of being of the male persuasion...

Actually, leaving aside the question of whether or not a Chinese village
founded on lines of martial matriarchy must necessarily follow the rules
of Greek myths...

...the classical Amazons had a unique physical distinction, to wit, the
surgical removal of the (right) breast, which would otherwise interfere
with the draw and release of a bowstring in archery.

A casual observation, in both the manga and the anime, of the village's
inhabitants, and in particular of their (ex-)champion Shampoo, will suffice
to indicate that they are <ahem> disqualified on that basis. <grin>

Blade

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
You think _Shampoo_ can beat Ryouga?!? What planet have you been on, and
what Ranma have you been watching? Ranma himself knows all of this
stuff, and he has difficulty beating Ryouga! Shampoo wouldn't have a
prayer! In a fight, Ryouga would knock Shampoo out long before she got
near him with the water. Just to set the record straight, I think it's
fairly obvious that Mousse could thrash Shampoo, he just doesn't want to
hurt her. I would, however, put Shampoo over Kodachi, Akane, Kunou, or
Genma...she'd lose to Ukyou in a fair(no Cologne around) fight, though.
The two are about equal in martial arts skill, but Ukyou is a _lot_ more
intelligent, and that would make the difference...
Blade
"The world...is a dark and lonely place..."-Ryouga

Isaac Ji Kuo

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In article <96011600...@terminal-one.com>,

David H. Wong <david.h..wong@terminal-one.com> wrote:
>-> Ah, I think you mean 'Alas, the attempt is destined for success as
>-> Shampoo is THE Bimbo of all Bimbos, and can't do a thing because not
>-> one thought enters that pretty little head of hers. And while
>-> everyone from Ranma 1/2

>aw c'mon, you'd have to admit that to come up with all those dirty
>tricks require at least some braincells... Shampoo is QUITE sneaky-
>especially during the instant nanichuan caper!

Being a bimbo doesn't necessarily mean brainlessness, it implies one
has a severe lack of basic perceptiveness more than anything else.
This cluelessness, when uncompensated for by any above average
knowledge (outside cosmetics), is what makes someone a "bimbo".
--
_____ Isaac Kuo (isaa...@tyrell.net or isaa...@OCF.berkeley.edu)
__|_>o<_|__ As the world looked on ... Earth's fate hung in balance ...

shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
Timo Berthold (10010...@compuserve.com) wrote:

[Re: the Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama]
: Nani??? Only one member? That mustn't be.

: Where may I sign to support the holy cause of beating Shampoo and
: praise the grace and beauty of Kunou Kodachi and Tendou Nabiki?

Gee, I don't know. I kinda made it up, though if a "real" Church was
created, I'd join!

: Shall the "Banner with the Yen crossed by black roses" lead us to final
: victory over the blasphemic hordes of the purple haired bimbo.

Sounds like a good emblem!

--
/----------------------------------------------------------------------\
| -_^ PAUL CORDEIRO, self-appointed diehard anime fan. ^_- |
| ^o^ 16 and sittin' strong! ^o^ |
| *_* ---------- *_* |
| Quote o' the week: |
| "Oh shit, someone else is out of alcohol!" --Fujisawa-sensei |
| Fight o' the week: |
| Ai-chan (VGAi) vs Holli Would (Cool World) |

David Emami

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ()

>Timo Berthold (10010...@compuserve.com) wrote:

>[Re: the Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama]
>: Nani??? Only one member? That mustn't be.
>: Where may I sign to support the holy cause of beating Shampoo and
>: praise the grace and beauty of Kunou Kodachi and Tendou Nabiki?

>Gee, I don't know. I kinda made it up, though if a "real" Church was
>created, I'd join!

Likewise, brethren.

>: Shall the "Banner with the Yen crossed by black roses" lead us to final
>: victory over the blasphemic hordes of the purple haired bimbo.

>Sounds like a good emblem!

Yes, but just *one* Yen? :-)
---
* QMPro 1.52 * Democracy is four wolves and a sheep voting on dinner.

shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96

And then Timo Berthold (10010...@compuserve.com) wrote:

: They won't be in the way, because we know them on our side cheering
: at our triumph.

What I meant was if they were in the line of fire, silly! Of course they
would be on our side. ^_^

David L Burkhead

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In article <DLAuw...@eskimo.com> d...@eskimo.com (Davidson Corry) writes:
>> In article <DL4tt...@freenet.carleton.ca> ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
> (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>> Actually, it doesn't. "Amazon" means "female warrior." It does NOT mean
>> "women only." There ARE men in the Amazon village (in Graphic Novel #4,
>> we see Shampoo's unnamed father, for example); they just aren't considered
>> warrior material.
>
>In <4d9lhd$3...@kira.cc.uakron.edu>, r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu
> (David L Burkhead) wrote:
>: Actually, the word "Amazon" most emphatically _does_ mean a
>: group that excludes men. ...The term comes from Greek mythology and
>: not only included the exclusion of men from the group, but active
>: _war_ on men for the crime of being of the male persuasion...
>
>Actually, leaving aside the question of whether or not a Chinese village
>founded on lines of martial matriarchy must necessarily follow the rules
>of Greek myths...

It's not a question of whether a Chinese village must necessarily
follow the rules of Greek myth. It's a question of words having
meanings. The word "Amazon" has a meaning _based_ on those Greek
myths. Part of that meaning is that of _exclusion_ of men from the
community (note: I didn't say "village," I said "community." There's
a difference.).

>...the classical Amazons had a unique physical distinction, to wit, the
>surgical removal of the (right) breast, which would otherwise interfere
>with the draw and release of a bowstring in archery.

_However,_ this aspect has never really become part of the
meaning of the word as the exclusion of men has. In fact, it' even as
far back as Greek times it was ignored in statuary and other portrayals.

>A casual observation, in both the manga and the anime, of the village's
>inhabitants, and in particular of their (ex-)champion Shampoo, will suffice
>to indicate that they are <ahem> disqualified on that basis. <grin>

Since, as above, the removal of breasts had never become part of
the word "Amazon" when used as a descriptor (whereas the concept of
exclusion of men _has_.) this is not a problem.

In fact, exclusion of men is _more_ associated with exclusion of
men than with women warriors. One is more likely to hear the members
of some of the more extreme man-hating groups out there referred to as
amazons (along with other, even less flattering comments), than to
hear women soldiers so referenced.

David L. Burkhead
r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu

Jan Dimon Bendtsen

Jan 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/17/96
In article <4darft$j...@harbinger.cc.monash.edu.au>, kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au (Caroline Ann Seawright) writes:
>shi...@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca () writes:
>>Caroline Ann Seawright (kuno...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au) wrote:
>>: Shall we both join forces and beat this bimbo Shampoo together? Although
>>: however much the Chruch of Ryouga-kamisama may wish the pleasure for
>>: itself... We shall let you join in...
>>Indeed we shall... now shall we continue? ^_-
>>The Church of Nabiki-to-Kodachi-megamisama: currently at one member.
>> Ally: the Church of Ryouga-kamisama
>> Enemy: the apparent Church of Shampoo
>>"Targeto Lock!" ^_^;;;
>
>The Church of Ryouga-kamisama: Membership currently at 8 and growing
>
>*picks up nearest batch of tac nuke grenades and hands them out*
>
>"The target is Shampoo, and anyone who stands with her! Just remember
>to run, very fast, away from where you throw the grenades, deconate...
>Or else... *boom*"
>
>"Attack!"
>
>Kun-chan...

Run very fast, ne? Hehehehe.... Where to? ^_-

Ja ne,
Dimon.

Frank

Jan 18, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/18/96

It should be pointed out that Shampoo's tribe is actually called the
Joketsuzoku; I don't know what that translates into in English (although
I have heard "warrior-women" as one possibility). They are called
Amazons in the translations because that is the image most associated in
Western minds with women trained in combat. BUT! The Joketsuzoku don't
live in Asia Minor, they aren't lead by Hippolyta (I don't think; if they
are, it would be be a real mind blower!), and they don't play 'bullets
and bracelets' or run around whirling golden lassos. So it's kind of
pointless to say that because the Amazons of Greek legend did such and
such, the Joketsuzoku have to do the same. They're two different groups.

FW

Timo Berthold

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
David Emami wrote:

> >: Shall the "Banner with the Yen crossed by black roses" lead us to final
> >: victory over the blasphemic hordes of the purple haired bimbo.
>
> >Sounds like a good emblem!
>
> Yes, but just *one* Yen? :-)

Do you really think Nabiki-sama would allow
us to waste more than one Yen for a mere symbol?
But at least we have the permission from Kodachi-sama
to use as many roses we want.

Isaac D. Askew

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
A lack of basic perceptiveness? That covers the ENTIRE CAST!!
The only character with any kind of rational reason is Cologne, and maybe
Tofu. Shampoo is near the top for being able to figure things out, with
Kuno and Akane at the bottom. (Not only has Akane not figured out Ryoga,
she hasen't even realized that Ryoga and Ranma don't get along, and the
rosepetal siblings live in fantisy worlds)
Ryoga, Ranma, and Mousse are pretty low on the reasoning curve, too.
--
Ike Askew
"The world is a dark, and lonely place." Ryoga

Isaac Ji Kuo

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96
In article <4dhg9k$n...@atlas.cs.upei.ca>, Blade <dleb...@upei.ca> wrote:
>You think _Shampoo_ can beat Ryouga?!? What planet have you been on, and

While Ryooga is, IMO, much more powerful than Shampoo, he wouldn't
fight her. Like most of the male characters, he doesn't fight (real)
girls.

>I would, however, put Shampoo over Kodachi, Akane, Kunou, or
>Genma...she'd lose to Ukyou in a fair(no Cologne around) fight, though.
>The two are about equal in martial arts skill, but Ukyou is a _lot_ more
>intelligent, and that would make the difference...

Actually, Ukyoo and Shampoo get into fights all the time with no
interference from Cologne. Ukyoo _never_ wins. In general, Ukyoo
hardly ever wins a fight.

David Emami

Jan 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/19/96

Isaac D. Askew <7305...@CompuServe.COM> said:

> A lack of basic perceptiveness? That covers the ENTIRE CAST!!
>The only character with any kind of rational reason is Cologne, and maybe
>Tofu.

Nabiki's pretty level-headed as well. More so thatn Tofu, I'd say.

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
In article <4dj1ek$8...@kira.cc.uakron.edu>, r3d...@dax.cc.uakron.edu (David L Burkhead ) writes:
> In article <DLAuw...@eskimo.com> d...@eskimo.com (Davidson Corry) writes:
>>> In article <DL4tt...@freenet.carleton.ca> ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA
>> (Victor W. Wong) writes:
>>> Actually, it doesn't. "Amazon" means "female warrior." It does NOT mean
>>> "women only." There ARE men in the Amazon village (in Graphic Novel #4,
>>> we see Shampoo's unnamed father, for example); they just aren't considered
>>> warrior material.

I thought I'd throw out the trivia that Shampoo (Xhian Pu) actually means
Chinese Amazon. In fact, almost all of Takahashi's names have an interesting
or appropriate meaning. Saotome means I believe, young virgin rice patty
goddess. I have no idea what Ukyou, Akane, or etc mean but I'd mention 'em if
I knew 'em.

Victor W. Wong

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
Knight of the Black Rose (aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu) writes:

> I thought I'd throw out the trivia that Shampoo (Xhian Pu) actually means
> Chinese Amazon. In fact, almost all of Takahashi's names have an interesting
> or appropriate meaning. Saotome means I believe, young virgin rice patty
> goddess. I have no idea what Ukyou, Akane, or etc mean but I'd mention 'em if
> I knew 'em.

Except that I seem to recall, according to the Viz Collector's Edition liner
notes (v. 1), "Saotome" means (you may not believe this) "WILLD STALLION!"

(sound of air guitar playing--get outta here Bill & Ted :))

***
*******
***********
***************
******************
*********************
***********************
*************************
+BLACK ADDER-------------------------PORTMERION+
| /^^\ /\ +----+/^^\+-++-+ /\ +-\/-+ /\ |\ |||
|| TASK FORCE ++ /\| || | | | | \|||
|| (_ | || || | | ~~ | | | | ||
|| | __ || || \/| __ | __ ||\/|| __ 逖\ ||
| \__/|_||_||__| \__/|_||_|_||_|| ||_||_|| \||
+YATSURA------------------------RANGER SQUADRON+
******************* **********
**************** ********
************ *******
******** Rear-Admiral Victor Wong ****
****** Task Force Commander ***
** ah...@freenet.carleton.ca *
--
Copyright (C) 1996 Victor W. Wong. All rights reserved.

Kenji

Jan 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/20/96
tass1...@aol.com (Tass1ehoff) wrote:
>Well according to the Ranma who's who it is Ranma means "wild horse or
>disorderly horse."

Correct. Ran = wild. Ma = horse.

--
_____________________________________
Urusei/ __ _ _ /

Victor W. Wong

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
David H. Wong (david.h..wong@terminal-one.com) writes:
> -> From: ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong)
> -> Subject: Re: Amazons (was: Shampoo Bashing)
> ->
> -> Knight of the Black Rose (aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu) writes:
> -> >
> -> > I thought I'd throw out the trivia that Shampoo (Xhian Pu) actually
> -> > Chinese Amazon. In fact, almost all of Takahashi's names have an i
> -> > or appropriate meaning. Saotome means I believe, young virgin rice
> -> > goddess. I have no idea what Ukyou, Akane, or etc mean but I'd men
> -> f
> -> > I knew 'em.
> ->
> -> Except that I seem to recall, according to the Viz Collector's Editio
> -> notes (v. 1), "Saotome" means (you may not believe this) "WILLD
> -> STALLION!"
> -> (sound of air guitar playing--get outta here Bill & Ted :))
>
> Shan Pu (Shampoo) means Coral-Jade.
>
> Saotome doesn't mean wild stallion; RANMA does.
>
> Ran- disorganized/out of control/wild
> ma- horse (hmmm is he a... stud?)
>
> My interpretation of that name would be MAVERICK
>
> "Oh shit, it's Maverick and Goose!"

I'm not sure "Maverick" would be appropriate. Otherwise, Ranma would
be a much better card player (besides, he don't look a thing like EITHER
Mel Gibson or James Garner) ... :)

Who is that tall young stranger there
RANMA is his name
Running away from Akane's fare
Luck is his companion
Martial arts' his game

Smooth as the potholes in the road
RANMA is his name
Living a life by warrior's code
Since his trip to China
Life's not been the same

Cold water makes him swell
Hot water makes him yell
Luck is the mistress that he serves the best
Battling fiancees
Knowing love never pays
Ranma's become a legend in the west

Gwydion

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA (Victor W. Wong) wrote:

>Except that I seem to recall, according to the Viz Collector's Edition liner
>notes (v. 1), "Saotome" means (you may not believe this) "WILLD STALLION!"

No... that would be Ranma. Not Saotome.

BTW, the guy who runs the Ranma 1/2 Extended Home Page has a list of
charecters with short bios and translations of their names.

--
Gwydion

* To Hell with fame and fortune, I just want to get some sleep! *

David H. Wong

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96

Dr. Briefs

Jan 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/21/96
Knight of the Black Rose (aefig...@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu) writes:
>I thought I'd throw out the trivia that Shampoo (Xhian Pu) actually
>Chinese Amazon. In fact, almost all of Takahashi's names have an i
>or appropriate meaning. Saotome means I believe, young virgin rice
>goddess. I have no idea what Ukyou, Akane, or etc mean but I'd men
>I knew 'em.

Ukyoo literally means "right capital"; a semi-common guy's name..
Akane is a somewhat common girl's name.

If you want to know more about what the names mean, you can always check the
Ranma 1/2 Expanded Home Page (http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~tecardwe/ranma.html).

Some of the ones I remember off the top of my head:

Happosai = a kind of dessert dish with sweet rice, and other assortment of
things... often served by placing the bowl upside down on a plate,
so the rice and other stuff looks like a small dome, and then add
some syrup.

Tendo = "Ten" = "Sky/heaven", "do" = "way". Therefore Tendo literally means
"The way of Heaven". I believe tendo is also phonetically identical
to "Heaven" in Japanese.

Kuno = (ku) Nine (no) abilities.

Ryoga = (ryo) Good/excellent (ga) tooth.

Hibiki = Loud (?)

--
Glenn Wang <br...@ix.netcom.com>
"I want peace on earth, and good-will toward men."

David H. Wong

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
-> > Saotome doesn't mean wild stallion; RANMA does.
-> >
-> > Ran- disorganized/out of control/wild
-> > ma- horse (hmmm is he a... stud?)
-> >
-> > My interpretation of that name would be MAVERICK
-> >
-> > "Oh shit, it's Maverick and Goose!"
->
-> I'm not sure "Maverick" would be appropriate. Otherwise, Ranma would
-> be a much better card player (besides, he don't look a thing like
-> EITHER Mel Gibson or James Garner) ... :)

yeah that entered my mind too :)
...and a better fighter jockey too <g>

->
-> Who is that tall young stranger there
-> RANMA is his name
-> Running away from Akane's fare
-> Luck is his companion
-> Martial arts' his game
->
-> Smooth as the potholes in the road
-> RANMA is his name
-> Living a life by warrior's code
-> Since his trip to China
-> Life's not been the same
->
-> Cold water makes him swell
-> Hot water makes him yell
-> Luck is the mistress that he serves the best
-> Battling fiancees
-> Knowing love never pays
-> Ranma's become a legend in the west
->

whoa I've never seen a Ranma POEM before, cool.

Victor W. Wong

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96

David H. Wong (david.h..wong@terminal-one.com) writes:
> -> Who is that tall young stranger there
> -> RANMA is his name
> -> Running away from Akane's fare
> -> Luck is his companion
> -> Martial arts' his game
> ->
> -> Smooth as the potholes in the road
> -> RANMA is his name
> -> Living a life by warrior's code
> -> Since his trip to China
> -> Life's not been the same
> ->
> -> Cold water makes him swell
> -> Hot water makes him yell
> -> Luck is the mistress that he serves the best
> -> Battling fiancees
> -> Knowing love never pays
> -> Ranma's become a legend in the west
> ->
>
> whoa I've never seen a Ranma POEM before, cool.

Oh shoot--I must be getting old. How many people remember "The
Ballad of Maverick" from the old TV series? :)

anime_man!

Jan 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/22/96
I know this much. I know Ranma means Wild Horse, but that's all I know.

Your pal and net freak, ANIME MAN!

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
In article <30FB84A0...@compuserve.com>, Timo Berthold <10010...@compuserve.com> writes:
> Knight of the Black Rose wrote:
>> > Ah, Kodachi Kuno, graceful and venomous, like a cobra on the hunt.
>> > Nabiko Tendo, bursting with healthy cyncism.
>> > Oh, whichever shall I choose???
>> > I cannot bear to part with either!!!
>>
>> Picking either one is asking for it.
>> Do you have lots of stamina or lots of money?
>
> BTW, how can you even dare to bear the holy title of a Knight of the
> Black Rose and then spit on the pure and unblemished reputation of
> Kodachi Kuno? ;-)

Spit upon Kodachi's reputation? Never would I do such a thing. If someone
would desire Kodachi, he would have to possess much stamina! 'Tis the Truth.
I, of course, being an undead spirit in armor, am duly qualified.
Ha, ha , ha , ha, ha, hack, cough, uh... nevermind

--
--I--am--- \ / I just content myself dancing to the \ /
Darksphere (|) laughter of gods on fire (|)
----------
Soaring to the sun <> Dirty Pair * Ranma * Nadia * U.Y. * M.I.

With blood upon my wings <> * Lady Death * Gold Digger * Ghost

Darkworld / Grandis / Ran / Etc: http://miavx1.muohio.edu/~aefigueroa/

(and for those who would say I've lost touch with reality, I was just kidding.
Everybody nows that undead spirits can't wear armor!)

s66...@aix2.uottawa.ca

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96
: I'm not sure "Maverick" would be appropriate. Otherwise, Ranma would
: be a much better card player (besides, he don't look a thing like EITHER

: Mel Gibson or James Garner) ... :)

: Who is that tall young stranger there
: RANMA is his name
: Running away from Akane's fare
: Luck is his companion
: Martial arts' his game

: Smooth as the potholes in the road
: RANMA is his name
: Living a life by warrior's code
: Since his trip to China
: Life's not been the same

: Cold water makes him swell
: Hot water makes him yell
: Luck is the mistress that he serves the best
: Battling fiancees
: Knowing love never pays
: Ranma's become a legend in the west

Hey, great bit. Someone should write a Fanfic outta that. Ranma
and Akane, unknowingly in love, struggling together and against each
other, headed for the grand multi-state martial-arts competition on some
big steam-boat. It would be a great story!

-Mike

Knight of the Black Rose

Jan 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/23/96

> Shampoo does *not* mean Chinese Amazon. The kanji are characters that
> Takahashi just chose to make it look Chinese. They mean "coral" and
> "jade."
> Who told you that bit of false "trivia"?

They said they were translating the Chinese characters...
Xhian Pu... What would that mean in Chinese? A friend said it was something
like chinese fighter so that would be Chinese amazon...

Michael W. Dean

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
In article <DLLnz...@freenet.carleton.ca>,

Victor W. Wong <ah...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA> wrote:

>David H. Wong (david.h..wong@terminal-one.com) writes:
>> -> Who is that tall young stranger there
>> -> RANMA is his name
>> -> Running away from Akane's fare
>> -> Luck is his companion
>> -> Martial arts' his game

[edited for space]

>> whoa I've never seen a Ranma POEM before, cool.
>

>Oh shoot--I must be getting old. How many people remember "The
>Ballad of Maverick" from the old TV series? :)

You are not alone, sir! I remember the theme well, and I really liked
your new interpretation! However, I know for a fact that *I* am getting old,
so you might not be too far behind me in that estimation...

Mike

David G. Homerick

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Frank (whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu) wrote:

: My word, poor Shampoo is getting rather thoroughly bashed, here.
: In her partial defense, I'd like to make a point. Yes, I know she is
: cruel, underhanded, doesn't deserve Mousse, etc.

From what I've seen of Mousse, he's basically Tatewaki Kuno with shit up
his sleeves.

Mousse: If I can't have Shampoo, I'll take Akane!
Ranma: What! You mean one girl's as good as another to you?

: But! WHY is she this
: way? I think we can all agree she isn't very bright (cunning, yes;
: bright, no way).

She's definitely brighter than the Kuno siblings, and probably Ryoga as
well. I'd even go so far as to say she's smarter than Genma (read ALL
the instructions, Genma). She is, however, relatively *ignorant*
compared to the other characters.

: In her actions toward Ranma, Mousse, Akane, etc, she's
: doing what she's been TOLD is right and in accord with the rules of her
: Amazon civilization. And who, pray tell, do you think has been filling
: her empty little purple head with these thoughts? Who is the person
: Shampoo looks to for guidence in any situation requiring brain cells?
: Uh-huh, the villain here isn't Shampoo, it's Colonge! Get rid of THAT
: old ghoul, and while I doubt Shampoo will reform overnight, she MIGHT
: eventually stop being such a villain, beating Mousse, chasing Ranma...
: Or maybe not.

Remember how Shampoo's first appearance in the Manga ended? Shampoo is
trying to kill female Ranma and marry male Ranma. Male Ranma dumps a
pail of water over his head and transforms in front of her. He (now she)
says "you see! I'm a girl! The guy thing was just a disguise! I
_can't_ marry you." Note that at this point, Shampoo thinks the female
Ranma is the "real" version. Shampoo attacks Ranma, knocks him down,
then stops. Tears fill her eyes. She turns, walks away, and goes home.
In disgrace.

Question for the Shampoo-haters: What is Shampoo's motivation for sparing
Ranma? By killing female Ranma, she would avenge her defeat, and since
male Ranma was a fake anyway, that part of the law wouldn't apply. She
has everything to gain and nothing to lose. But she doesn't kill Ranma.
She doesn't even try.

Why?

--David Homerick

Ihua Tung

Jan 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/24/96
Ranma is "wild horse"
Satome is "young girls"
Genma is "mythical/incredible"+"horse"
Soun is (so)"early" (un)"cloud"
Kasumi is "sunset glow"
Nabiki is "fashionable"
Akane is "madder" (a kind of plant) or "dark red"
Ryoga is "good teeth"
Hibiki is "loud"
Cologne, Shampoo & Moose are what they are in English
Happosai is a kind of sweet dish, traditionally using 8 ingridents
(ha-"eight", po-"good things/treasure")
Tatewaki (Kuno's first name) is "carrying a blade" It's a rank in ancient Japan.
Kodachi is a kind of Japanese blade
Pansuto (part of the big bull-head fellow's name) is "pantyhose"

Now nearly all these are Chinese translations of the Kanji used for their
names but they sould be at least 90% correct.

Wei-Hwa Huang

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
> "Dr. Briefs" <br...@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> If you want to know more about what the names mean, you can always check the
> Ranma 1/2 Expanded Home Page (http://www.coe.uncc.edu/~tecardwe/ranma.html).
>
> Some of the ones I remember off the top of my head:
>
> Happosai = a kind of dessert dish with sweet rice, and other assortment of
> things... often served by placing the bowl upside down on a plate,
> so the rice and other stuff looks like a small dome, and then add
> some syrup.

Hmm...this sounded suspicious, so I went to the home page and looked, and
compared it with the manga.

As you mentioned, "Happosai" means a kind of dessert dish, but that's
with a different kanji for "sai". The one used in "yasai," in fact,
and it means "vegetable" literally, or can mean "dish" in China, where the
food originated.

However, Rumiko Takahashi's Happosai is not actually named this, but just a
pun on it. The last kanji is different.

--
Wei-Hwa Huang, whu...@cco.caltech.edu, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/
Reality only works when you use it. -- Instruction booklet, Reality

Manowar

Jan 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/25/96
In article <4e67rh$5...@news.csus.edu>, sac5...@saclink1.csus.edu (David G. Homerick) says:

>Remember how Shampoo's first appearance in the Manga ended? Shampoo is
>trying to kill female Ranma and marry male Ranma. Male Ranma dumps a
>pail of water over his head and transforms in front of her. He (now she)
>says "you see! I'm a girl! The guy thing was just a disguise! I
>_can't_ marry you." Note that at this point, Shampoo thinks the female
>Ranma is the "real" version. Shampoo attacks Ranma, knocks him down,
>then stops. Tears fill her eyes. She turns, walks away, and goes home.
>In disgrace.
>
>Question for the Shampoo-haters: What is Shampoo's motivation for sparing
>Ranma? By killing female Ranma, she would avenge her defeat, and since
>male Ranma was a fake anyway, that part of the law wouldn't apply. She
>has everything to gain and nothing to lose. But she doesn't kill Ranma.
>She doesn't even try.
>
>Why?
>
>--David Homerick

Well now, I think what motivated her was the fact that she loved the male
Ranma and finding out he was really a girl in disquised produced mixed
feelings. Her intial reaction was to kill the girl Ranma. After attacking
and realizing that she was attacking the person she loved and realizing
that person wasn't a boy she left heartbroken. She does have a heart after
all.

Manowar

Bridget Ellen Engman

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96
As a sidenote, I recently took a class from a Japanese visiting professor
about something having to do with modern Japanese culture and post-
modernism. One day, he went off on a tangent and started talking about some,
in his words, "kimochi warui" cults in the mountains around Tokyo who
try to kill people by nailing dolls to trees. (sound familiar?) What caught
my attention was that "gosunkugi" is the type of nail they use. It took
me several minutes to stop laughing, and several more to explain it.

Luckily it was a seminar class. They let you laugh in those.

--bengman

--
BENGMAN * "Shiroku chiisana noshibukuro...
Bridget Engman * Aitakatta no O-toshidama!

Frank

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96

> Remember how Shampoo's first appearance in the Manga ended? Shampoo is
> trying to kill female Ranma and marry male Ranma. Male Ranma dumps a
> pail of water over his head and transforms in front of her. He (now she)
> says "you see! I'm a girl! The guy thing was just a disguise! I
> _can't_ marry you." Note that at this point, Shampoo thinks the female
> Ranma is the "real" version. Shampoo attacks Ranma, knocks him down,
> then stops. Tears fill her eyes. She turns, walks away, and goes home.
> In disgrace.
>
> Question for the Shampoo-haters: What is Shampoo's motivation for sparing
> Ranma? By killing female Ranma, she would avenge her defeat, and since
> male Ranma was a fake anyway, that part of the law wouldn't apply. She
> has everything to gain and nothing to lose. But she doesn't kill Ranma.
> She doesn't even try.
>
> Why?
>
> --David Homerick

Actually, this in many ways supports my original point. Shampoo - by
herself - is not that bad a person. She could have killed Ranma, but
didn't. She had Akane completely at her mercy during their fight, but
instead of death gave her a scrub and rinse (deliberately inflicting
amnesia on her in the process, but at least she could recover from
that). I doubt Shampoo is really a killer, despise all this 'kiss of
death' noise. She may not be the nicest person in the world (Kasumi
already has that title), but she's not really a monster.
That's by herself, though. Add the manipulative, villainous Cologne
to the mix, and she becomes a menace to society.

FW

David G. Homerick

Jan 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/26/96

: On 24 Jan 1996, David G. Homerick wrote:

: > Frank (whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu) wrote:
: > [regarding Shampoo]
: > : In her actions toward Ranma, Mousse, Akane, etc, she's

: > : doing what she's been TOLD is right and in accord with the rules of her
: > : Amazon civilization. And who, pray tell, do you think has been filling
: > : her empty little purple head with these thoughts? Who is the person
: > : Shampoo looks to for guidence in any situation requiring brain cells?
: > : Uh-huh, the villain here isn't Shampoo, it's Colonge! Get rid of THAT
: > : old ghoul, and while I doubt Shampoo will reform overnight, she MIGHT
: > : eventually stop being such a villain, beating Mousse, chasing Ranma...
: > : Or maybe not.
: >
[...]

Yeah, I know. I was backing... never mind.

: Shampoo - by

: herself - is not that bad a person. She could have killed Ranma, but
: didn't. She had Akane completely at her mercy during their fight, but
: instead of death gave her a scrub and rinse (deliberately inflicting
: amnesia on her in the process, but at least she could recover from
: that). I doubt Shampoo is really a killer, despise all this 'kiss of
: death' noise. She may not be the nicest person in the world (Kasumi
: already has that title), but she's not really a monster.

Shampoo is a Barbarian. She's uncivilized, and has no scruples about
using violence to achieve her ends, but she's neither heartless nor
sadistic.

: That's by herself, though. Add the manipulative, villainous Cologne

: to the mix, and she becomes a menace to society.

The presence of Cologne puts Shampoo in a nasty bind. She *has* to marry
Ranma, and as long as he refuses, she's totally screwed. This doesn't
mean she's justified in her behaviour, but it does show the difference
between her and a psychopath like Kodachi.

Michael W. Dean

Jan 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/27/96

David G. Homerick <sac5...@saclink1.csus.edu> wrote:

>Question for the Shampoo-haters: What is Shampoo's motivation for sparing
>Ranma? By killing female Ranma, she would avenge her defeat, and since
>male Ranma was a fake anyway, that part of the law wouldn't apply. She
>has everything to gain and nothing to lose. But she doesn't kill Ranma.
>She doesn't even try.
>
>Why?

While I am not a Shampoo hater (I claim neutrality on the issue), I'd
like to step up to the plate for this one. I think Shampoo honestly fell in
love with Ranma during that storyline. Even when she became convinced that
Ranma-kun had only been a disguise, she still couldn't bring herself to kill
his "creator," if you will, and rob the boy she loved of what little
existence he had.

Mike

Frank

Jan 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM1/29/96

On 26 Jan 1996, David G. Homerick wrote:

> Frank (whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu) wrote:
>

> : On 24 Jan 1996, David G. Homerick wrote:
>
> : > Frank (whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu) wrote:
> : > [regarding Shampoo]
> : > : In her actions toward Ranma, Mousse, Akane, etc, she's
> : > : doing what she's been TOLD is right and in accord with the rules of her
> : > : Amazon civilization. And who, pray tell, do you think has been filling
> : > : her empty little purple head with these thoughts? Who is the person
> : > : Shampoo looks to for guidence in any situation requiring brain cells?
> : > : Uh-huh, the villain here isn't Shampoo, it's Colonge! Get rid of THAT
> : > : old ghoul, and while I doubt Shampoo will reform overnight, she MIGHT
> : > : eventually stop being such a villain, beating Mousse, chasing Ranma...
> : > : Or maybe not.
> : >
> : > Remember how Shampoo's first appearance in the Manga ended? Shampoo is
> : > trying to kill female Ranma and marry male Ranma. Male Ranma dumps a
> : > pail of water over his head and transforms in front of her. He (now she)
> : > says "you see! I'm a girl! The guy thing was just a disguise! I
> : > _can't_ marry you." Note that at this point, Shampoo thinks the female
> : > Ranma is the "real" version. Shampoo attacks Ranma, knocks him down,
> : > then stops. Tears fill her eyes. She turns, walks away, and goes home.
> : > In disgrace.
> : >

> : > Question for the Shampoo-haters: What is Shampoo's motivation for sparing

> : > Ranma? By killing female Ranma, she would avenge her defeat, and since
> : > male Ranma was a fake anyway, that part of the law wouldn't apply. She
> : > has everything to gain and nothing to lose. But she doesn't kill Ranma.
> : > She doesn't even try.
> : >
> : > Why?

> : >
> : > --David Homerick
> : >
> : >
> : Actually, this in many ways supports my original point.
>
> Yeah, I know. I was backing... never mind.

Hey, and I appreciate it! Shampoo bashing sometimes gets extended to
those who speak in her defense.

> : Shampoo - by
> : herself - is not that bad a person. She could have killed Ranma, but
> : didn't. She had Akane completely at her mercy during their fight, but
> : instead of death gave her a scrub and rinse (deliberately inflicting
> : amnesia on her in the process, but at least she could recover from
> : that). I doubt Shampoo is really a killer, despise all this 'kiss of
> : death' noise. She may not be the nicest person in the world (Kasumi
> : already has that title), but she's not really a monster.
>
> Shampoo is a Barbarian. She's uncivilized, and has no scruples about
> using violence to achieve her ends, but she's neither heartless nor
> sadistic.

"Barbarian" has unpleasant connotations. It's not inappropriate, mind
you, but it puts me in mind of Conan. Who looks nothing at all like
Shampoo or the other Chinese amazons. Not even Cologne.

> : That's by herself, though. Add the manipulative, villainous Cologne
> : to the mix, and she becomes a menace to society.
>
> The presence of Cologne puts Shampoo in a nasty bind. She *has* to marry
> Ranma, and as long as he refuses, she's totally screwed. This doesn't
> mean she's justified in her behaviour, but it does show the difference
> between her and a psychopath like Kodachi.

Psychopath? Isn't she a sociopath? Or so wrapped up in her own fantasy
world that her perception of what's going on has little relation to reality?

On Shampoo: It strikes me that her behavior is actually rather
child-like. Not childISH (Ranma's that), and not child-like as in the
usual "children are little angels!" myth (ask any parent whose child has
just staged a gale force, pound on the ground, scream at full power
temper tantrum in public how true to life THAT idea is), but rather, like
a real child. Selfish. Thoughtless. Singleminded. Unconcerned about
others' rights, and not quite understanding the way the world actually works
("Shampoo loves Ranma SO MUCH, Ranma MUST love Shampoo just as much!").
Poor girl.

FW

-Hwa Huang

Feb 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/1/96
b-e...@students.uiuc.edu (Bridget Ellen Engman) writes:
>As a sidenote, I recently took a class from a Japanese visiting professor
>about something having to do with modern Japanese culture and post-
>modernism. One day, he went off on a tangent and started talking about some,
>in his words, "kimochi warui" cults in the mountains around Tokyo who
>try to kill people by nailing dolls to trees. (sound familiar?) What caught
>my attention was that "gosunkugi" is the type of nail they use. It took
>me several minutes to stop laughing, and several more to explain it.

>Luckily it was a seminar class. They let you laugh in those.

Gosunkugi means "five-inch nail." Quite literally. (Of course, "inch" refers
to a standard of measurement that only worked in Ancient China/Japan, and is
not necessarily 2.54 cm.)

Just four inches short of a popular music group...

--
Wei-Hwa Huang, whu...@cco.caltech.edu, http://www.ugcs.caltech.edu/~whuang/

Did you know Africa has more sand than the entire Sahara Desert?

Michael W. Dean

Feb 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM2/2/96
In article <Pine.OSF.3.91.96012...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu>,

Frank <whi...@coopext.cahe.wsu.edu> wrote:
>On 26 Jan 1996, David G. Homerick wrote:
>
>> The presence of Cologne puts Shampoo in a nasty bind. She *has* to marry
>> Ranma, and as long as he refuses, she's totally screwed. This doesn't
>> mean she's justified in her behaviour, but it does show the difference
>> between her and a psychopath like Kodachi.
>>
>Psychopath? Isn't she a sociopath? Or so wrapped up in her own fantasy
>world that her perception of what's going on has little relation to reality?

Regarding Kodachi, I think the latter statement hold the most truth.
Psychopaths and sociopaths generally are aware of "good" and "bad," but have
no conscience to stop them from choosing bad (I am grossly oversimplifying
here, but bear with me). Psychotics, on the other hand, often have no
conception of morality whatsoever, and will do whatever their warped views
of reality require to get by. Kodachi frequently seems to think she is
acting correctly by doing whatever it takes to reach her goals. Kodachi
definitely has some sociopathic traits, but I think she's mostly just
detached from reality.

Mike