Is anyone a fan of GunBuster?

Richard Young Lee

Nov 8, 1993, 2:32:45 PM11/8/93

I noticed a lot of different titles on this group, but I have yet to see,

GUNBUSTER

I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a
popular series and how do you all feel about it. Does it rank with the
other anime, like BGC, Sailor Moon, Vampire Princess Miyu, Wings of Hommenaise?
(Those are just the titles I remember seeing on this group.)

Well, tell me what you all think.

(By the way, you can post responses to these back on the group instead of
mailing them to my e-mail account. Thanx :)

Rich
ric...@leland.stanford edu

E. Kontei

Nov 8, 1993, 3:54:40 PM11/8/93
In article <1993110819...@cardinal.Stanford.EDU>, ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Young Lee) writes:

> GUNBUSTER
>
> I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
> to death last year or the year before.

Yup. We discussed it to death when it came out in the US, a couple
of years ago.

Quite a number of flamewars about it, too. The highlights:

- The change to a B&W letterboxed look in the last episode is intentional.
Same goes for the progression from a light-hearted parody in episode 1 to
a fairly dramatic space opera in episode 6.

- Smith Toren is a reference to Toren Smith, long time fan and now head cheese
at Studio Proteus. The real-life Toren doesn't look at all like the Guile
clone from the anime, and is still alive. ^_^

- GUNBUSTER has some of the better examples of what is known as the
"GAINAX bounce". (GAINAX was the animation company who did GUNBUSTER and
various other great shows. It's a running joke than in every GAINAX
production there was a least one scene where a young female's over-developed
mammary glands would go bouncing and jiggling in rather dramatic fashion...)
--
E n r i q u e C o n t y
Coordinator, Project Zeta

Iain Bell

Nov 9, 1993, 6:07:12 AM11/9/93
ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Young Lee) writes:

>I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
>to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a
>popular series and how do you all feel about it. Does it rank with the
>other anime, like BGC, Sailor Moon, Vampire Princess Miyu, Wings of Hommenaise?
>(Those are just the titles I remember seeing on this group.)

Yeah, I loved Gunbuster (I'm a sucker for that sort of thing) and really
enjoyed the endings of parts four and six. Going by my own standards I'd rate
it above Wings of Honneamise and *way* above Sailor Moon...

I've only been on the group a year or so but the only major discussions I can
remember about Gunbuster were the reasons for part six mainly being b&w and
the justification for the scenes of the machine weapons exercising in part
one.
--
/--Iain Bell---...@bradford.ac.uk--\ I'll put the chairs on the tables,
| ___ | turn off the lights, and lock the
| (o o) | universe after me when I leave
\------------ooO-(_)-Ooo----------------/ -Death

Alan Boyd

Nov 9, 1993, 9:59:24 AM11/9/93

>it above Wings of Honneamise and *way* above Sailor Moon...
Animation was definitely better than Sailor Moron, and I actually cared
what happenned, and I don't mean along the lines of 'How long till she dies?',
or 'How long till that stupid moron figures out those two guys are the
same person?'.

>the justification for the scenes of the machine weapons exercising in part
>one.
(Isn't it just possible that that part was meant as a joke?, I remember
that discussion, and it all seemed pretty pointless to me).

Yeah, I liked Brabuster too, I don't know about better than Miyu, but it
was pretty good.

--
-Grosporina

D. Scott Miller, TAMS Anime Alumni

Nov 9, 1993, 5:13:54 PM11/9/93
In article <1993110819...@cardinal.Stanford.EDU>, ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Young Lee) writes:
> GUNBUSTER
>
> I really like this anime [...] how do you all feel about it[?]
> [...]
> --Rich

GunBuster ga daisukiiii! Kakko ii! It's one of my favorites, the Giant Robot
Show to end all Giant Robot Shows, the Mother of all Huge Alien Fleet vs Earth
Battles. (A Zentraedi force of *4.5 million*? AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA! I'd like
to see Bodolza take on the Evil Space Monsters with his wimpy Main Fleet.)

Ahem. Well, anyway, I liked it. ^_^
--
The Rainbow Mage
Scott Miller/"Miraa" <<>> Mi...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu

HORN, D K

Nov 9, 1993, 3:13:55 PM11/9/93
Chalk me up. I call GUNBUSTER "anime's anime." It puts a brilliant gloss on
three of the worst cliches in anime: 1.) alien invasion, 2.) big robots, and
3.) the OAV industry. All the slide pots of the genre are pushed up to full;
three-hanky soap opera accompanied by sprays of rose petals and teardrops that
linger and sparkle in the air; Noriko, who combines the self-esteem of Usagi
Tsukino with a complete lack of vertical hold; super-slick design on everything
from portable TVs to space stations; and space combat using every weapon from
a right cross to a black hole, often telegraphed with shouts of Buster this
and Buster that until you think you're in the Oort Cloud Dairy Queen.

GAINAX, the studio that created Gunbuster, was made up of fans who really--I
mean really--knew anime. They were out to have as much fun with it as
possible, and break a few boundaries while they were at it. They were the best
anime has ever seen. Look at their short film that opened Daicon IV, following
that up with the incredible four-minute ROYAL SPACE FORCE, the film that
got them the funding for their masterpiece (and only feature film) THE WINGS OF
HONNEAMISE. With NADIA and GUNBUSTER, they demonstrated they could produce
classics in the TV and OAV genres as well. In their coda, OTAKU NO VIDEO, they
made anime's great roman a clef, closing the circle for anime fans and
exiting in style.

--Carl "I'm not James at 15 or Chachi in charge" Horn

Bradley D. Bellows

Nov 9, 1993, 8:47:20 PM11/9/93

What I want to know is how the heck did ONE Gunbuster in Episode
five destroy all those alien monsters ( >50000!) even BEFORE the black
hole bomb went off! The SUPAAAAR LIIIGGHHHHTNEEEEEENNNG KEEEEEECK (don't
forget the primal scream) must have taken out at least a thousand ships
(it puts the SDF-1 to shame). However, in spite of being ridiculous at
times, it still is one of my favorites for three reasons:

1) Coach - the ultimate 'cool guy' stereotype. The only person I
can think of that comes close to him would be MD Geist.

2) The Science Shows - I liked the way they parodied each of the
characters (esp. Coach with the paintbrush)

3) Two Words: Jung Freud (need I say more?)

Comments and flames are invited 8)

Brad
--
I wrapped my fear around me like a blanket
I sailed my ship of safety 'till I sank it

Thingfish

Nov 9, 1993, 10:30:37 PM11/9/93

IMHO
^^^^
Well I call it a failed attempt at a parody. I think it's lame but I do
enjoy watching it for certain *ahem* things....

God I'm glad I have frame by frame on my VCR. (^_^)
"I'm the TAB [cola] of music lovers." | Ken Primer
-Ryan Gavigan | k...@uxc.cso.uiuc.
"A sure sign of a crappy video tape is if it has a rainbow| I am what I am...
on the jacket." -Mark rebeiz(I think) | What am I?

swe...@earlham.edu

Nov 9, 1993, 10:00:49 PM11/9/93
In Article <1993Nov9...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
mi...@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu (D. Scott Miller, TAMS Anime Alumni) writes:

Yeah, I loved it too!

||SWETLFR ||
||V.P. Anime-Earlham ||
|| Eagles soar, but weasels never get sucked into jet engines||
"...it's either real/or it's a dream/there's nothing that is in
between/Twilight...I only meant to stay awhile..."
-WELCOME TO TWILIGHT-
I'll be your guide...

Justin Bach

Nov 10, 1993, 1:16:58 AM11/10/93

>I noticed a lot of different titles on this group, but I have yet to see,

> GUNBUSTER

It's a classic, much better than the craps you listed below.
(WoH is exception, BTW.)

>I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
>to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a
>popular series and how do you all feel about it. Does it rank with the
>other anime, like BGC, Sailor Moon, Vampire Princess Miyu, Wings of Hommenaise?
>(Those are just the titles I remember seeing on this group.)

>Well, tell me what you all think.

------
Justin Bach j...@panix.com
(Golgo_13 on IRC)
"Violence-wa Utsukushii." from the preview of Makai Toshi Shinjuku
"I always save one last bullet. Either for myself or for my enemy."
from the movie "Killer"

Profess'nal Agitator

Nov 10, 1993, 3:55:04 AM11/10/93

Richard Young Lee <ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>I noticed a lot of different titles on this group, but I have yet to see,

> GUNBUSTER

>I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed

>to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a
>popular series and how do you all feel about it. Does it rank with the
>other anime, like BGC, Sailor Moon, Vampire Princess Miyu, Wings of Hommenaise?

Now, here's four titles that have no business being in the same
sentence together :-)

You've got a futuristic, hard-driving, music and action title, a
"fluffy" magical girls comedy (see, I can be objective :-), a unique
horror twist on the vampire genre, and a true anime classic movie
about the first manned space flight.

As for your question, there are quite a few Gunbuster fans around here
(incl myself). You've just managed to catch us on an off-thread.

Agitator, who was beat out at $150 for an original sketch of Takaya, Grr!
#->

*Berlin*Depeche Mode*Oingo Boingo*New Order*The Smiths*Soft Cell*Yazoo*U2*
*Nitzer Ebb-Book of Love-OMD-Psychedelic Furs-10,000 Maniacs-//-Front 242*
* R E M E M B E R B E I J I N G // Only *
*IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer? \\ // AMIGA! *
*================================ Bring Back the Caltech \X/ Cannon!! ===*
*B-52's-Severed Heads-Tears For Fears-The The-Human League-Ministry-Xymox*
*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*
*Roderick Lee, HMC '91 "The Professional Agitator" agit...@kaiwan.com*

barr...@ufr.lirmm.fr

Nov 10, 1993, 7:51:08 AM11/10/93
I'm too damned busy to write a long letter but I can tell you this :

YES !!!!! I AM A GUNBUSTER FAN !!!!!

And I'll always be !

see you later,

-Greg .

JR...@psuvm.psu.edu

Nov 10, 1993, 9:15:31 AM11/10/93
Hey,
I am a fan of gunbuster, It has great animation, and an intersting story, enoug
h sci-fi out-of-this-world stuff with good splashes of real life and drama. Yes
it does parody many aspects of anime/sci-fi in general, including itself. some
of the super-deformed science lessons are some of the funniest clips of anime
I have seen. I think gunbuster is one of the better anime out there.
thanks
John NADZam
'to live and lurk'

Lap-Kei M Yuen

Nov 10, 1993, 10:30:04 AM11/10/93
I am also a fan of Gunbuster. I saw in last year in Purdue
Animation Club. I want to buy the LD of this anime. Would anyone
please tell me where and how to buy those LD and are there any
comments on the LD? Thank you very much.

Michael Yuen

Benjamin...@cs.cmu.edu

Nov 9, 1993, 7:31:38 PM11/9/93
ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Richard Young Lee) writes:
>I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
>to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a
>popular series and how do you all feel about it. Does it rank with the
>other anime, like BGC, Sailor Moon, Vampire Princess Miyu, Wings of Hommenaise?

Gunbuster is cool. Let me rephrase that. Pivotal characters of
Gunbuster are known to _define_ this word 'cool'.

The animation quality ranks up there, and the story is a lot of fun.
Great characters. You will understand the phrase, "that Gainax
jingle", having watched Gunbuster. Neat mecha. **BIG** mecha.
Dramatic plot developments. Chaos & destruction. Weird physics.
Super Deformities. Inspirational moments. Good music. Tough fights.
And perhaps the youngest girl ever to obliterate a galaxy.
Joe Ray Bob Anime says check it out.

>Going by my own standards I'd rate it above Wings of Honneamise

Now, there you're going to far. Wings of Honneamise has superior art,
not to mention that the story is *true* art. I consistently rank a
story on a higher magnitude if the theme works on a signifigant, basic
question/issue -- assuming it handles it well -- than a story that's
just good entertainment for time invested. Gunbuster is fun, but it's
not great art.

Ben Taylor
Center for Machine Translation Carnegie Mellon University
b...@cmu.edu (412)268-2805 (work) (412)361-7650 (home)
5800 Ellsworth Avenue, apt. 4; Pittsburgh PA 15232
GS -d+@ -p+(-) c++(+) l+ u+ e+ m++@ s++/+ n-(+) h+(*) f* g-- w+ t+@ r !y
"Hello." "My name is Oedipus." "You are my father." "Prepare to die."

M.Cheung

Nov 10, 1993, 3:12:31 PM11/10/93
In article <2bpn8t$5...@vixen.cso.uiuc.edu>, k...@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu (Thingfish) writes:

|> IMHO
|> ^^^^
|> Well I call it a failed attempt at a parody. I think it's lame but I do
|> enjoy watching it for certain *ahem* things....
^^^^
Hmm...ya got me there...I didn't see any erm...shall we say abnormal things.
Yeah, Gunbuster is my only fav. anime...but then again, maybe it's 'cause we
don't get much anime here!! Just LOVE that title song!!!

|> God I'm glad I have frame by frame on my VCR. (^_^)
|> --
|> "I'm the TAB [cola] of music lovers." | Ken Primer
|> -Ryan Gavigan | k...@uxc.cso.uiuc.
|> "A sure sign of a crappy video tape is if it has a rainbow| I am what I am...
|> on the jacket." -Mark rebeiz(I think) | What am I?

Mike Cheung, University of Strathclyde |^|
CLF...@CCSUN.STRATH.AC.UK or CLF...@VAXE.STRATH.AC.UK |-|
"Scourge of the Ainu, prepare to die!" --- ,|_|-,
|~| ,-------+ |~| |~| |~| |~| /____/
,---+ +---, '-----+ | | | | | | | | | | |
'---+ +---' | | | | | | | | | | | |
| | ,-----+ | | | | | | | | | | |
/ ; '-------+ / ; | |_/; / ; | |_/; | |
|_/ |_/ \__/ |_/ \__/ | |
---Samurai Shodown |/

Robert Debeljakovic

Nov 11, 1993, 8:41:34 AM11/11/93
[stuff deleted]

hee hee...you MISSED the best part guys...

"BUSTER SHIELD"

bwahahahahHAHAHHAHAHAHhhahahHAHHAHhahHAH.... :)
(seen the damn thing a hundred times...still makes me laugh!)

Gunbuster is great!
(it does get a bit deep at times though. Its interesting how it goes from
one extreme to another!)

--
Rob Dj (aka Hwy_Star)
:)

dark childe

Nov 11, 1993, 10:03:14 PM11/11/93
In article <1993110819...@cardinal.stanford.edu>,
Richard Young Lee <ric...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>I noticed a lot of different titles on this group, but I have yet to see,
>
> GUNBUSTER
>
>I really like this anime and maybe I'm just too late and this was discussed
>to death last year or the year before. Can anyone tell me if this was a

Gunbuster was the anime that got me into Japanese animation. I enjoyed
the Gunbuster Series because of the story development. It started ligh
hearted and developed into a good drama.

The art was the other factor which got me into animation. The characters
were very well drawn and the mecha desings were not bad.

Gunbuster served as the catapult into my animation addiction:)

Anthony Navia
anav...@tuba.aix.calpoly.edu

Wei Xiong

Nov 12, 1993, 10:48:16 PM11/12/93

nice plot, excellent animation.
'nough said.
--
WEI XIONG wxi...@ux4.cso.uiuc.edu

A...Ayukawa.. <SLAP!>

daniel frankovitch

Nov 13, 1993, 9:53:45 PM11/13/93
In article <CG96A...@freenet.carleton.ca>,

Bradley D. Bellows <aj...@Freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:
>1) Coach - the ultimate 'cool guy' stereotype. The only person I
>can think of that comes close to him would be MD Geist.

I would have to say ANYONE who could compare coach to Giest
obviosly must have a different level of "cool guy". Geist had his points
but Coach is most definetly in a leage of his own.
Thank you
--

=========================================== =
"Darin, baka" Ramu-chan - Urusei Yatsura =

Bradley D. Bellows

Nov 14, 1993, 4:18:08 PM11/14/93

In a previous article, dfra...@nyx10.cs.du.edu (daniel frankovitch) says
I said:

>>1) Coach - the ultimate 'cool guy' stereotype. The only person I
>>can think of that comes close to him would be MD Geist.
>
> I would have to say ANYONE who could compare coach to Giest
>obviosly must have a different level of "cool guy". Geist had his points
>but Coach is most definetly in a leage of his own.
> Thank you

Okay, Okay, I'll try to explain the method to my madness. Geist's
character is so ridiculoulsly overdone on the stereotypical 'cool-guy'
image that he is very cool. However Coach also fall under this
stereotype, but they didn't push his character over the edge like Geist,
which actually makes Coach cooler than Geist...

Well, if I had could put it into an equation, to me relative
coolness is directly proportional to actual coolness to a critical point,
after which the relative coolness becomes inversly proportional...

[gasp, gasp, flounder, flounder...]

Could someone help me out with this? What is your definition of cool?

Brad (fish out of water) Bellows 8&

Hiromi Hasegawa

Nov 14, 1993, 5:17:02 PM11/14/93
In article <CGI36...@freenet.carleton.ca> aj...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Bradley D. Bellows) writes:

> Could someone help me out with this? What is your definition of cool?

My definition of coolness is: Goto from Patlabor. ^_^
Someone who is really smart and talented but won't show it and acts like a
fool. Sort of like Kousuke Kindaichi or Columbo.

On the other hand, I don't like coolness defined by Leiji Matsumoto. It's
too corny for my taste.

Porco Rosso is no exception. He's trying to act cool and looks rather corny.

Well, I like the cool guys from Giant Robo. ^_^
But cool guys don't live very long unless you really hide your talent well
like Goto does... :(

Cool guys don't act cool. Those who act cool are not cool.

Cool women? Definitely Ginrei or Sara Mass.

Cool elderly? Definitely Jicchan from Tenchi (I actually like him better
than Tenchi)

--
Hiromi Hasegawa (aka Ginrei) | hase...@cheshire.oxy.edu
Occidental College Anime Club President | Box 854 1600 Campus Road

Steve Sakurai

Nov 14, 1993, 7:11:33 PM11/14/93
In article <CG9q3...@kaiwan.com> Profess'nal Agitator, agit...@kaiwan.com
writes: >Agitator, who was beat out at $150 for an original sketch of Takaya,
Grr!

Yeah, I wanted that sketch too. I'll bet AX could sell a half-dozen of them
for over $100 each if Mikimoto would provide them.

| Steve Sakurai | Oregon: |
| Mentor Graphics Corporation | Scenic Waystation for |
| steve_...@pdxml1.mentorg.com | 100t HyperDimensional SuperHammers |

Raa Amon Zepol

Nov 14, 1993, 10:49:30 PM11/14/93
On Sun, 14 Nov 1993 22:17:02 GMT Hiromi Hasegawa scribed:

> Cool guys don't act cool. Those who act cool are not cool.

Hehehhe sounds familiar ... :)

> Cool women? Definitely Ginrei or Sara Mass.

-_^

> Cool elderly? Definitely Jicchan from Tenchi (I actually like him better
> than Tenchi)

Youshou! :) Yeah ... I like him better then Tenchi as well ...

--
/\__.__/\/\_____/\_______/\_ __ /\_.___/\__. Raa Amon Zepol
\ | /\____ \ ____/\ \/ \ \ | \_ |__ Xaemyl et SuperTzar

Gary 'Anime-ni-a-ku' Louie

Nov 15, 1993, 12:34:10 AM11/15/93
In article <yuen.75...@taumsauk.ecn.purdue.edu>,

Unfortunately for those of us who are Japanese-impaired, there are no English-
subtitled/dubbed versions of the LDs and no announced plans for any. There
are the original Japanese versions for those of us who have either memorized
the dialog or don't need it. These can be ordered from some of the importers
mentioned in the RAA FAQs.

Correct this injustice! Flood US Renditions with mail. "WE INSIST ON GUNBUSTER
ON LDS!" "Free the Gunbuster Trio!" ...
--
Gary Louie
lo...@unm.edu

Buster LD Player!...

Profess'nal Agitator

Nov 15, 1993, 5:08:18 AM11/15/93
In article <2c6hfl$t...@hpcan240.mentorg.com>,

Steve Sakurai <steve_...@pdxml1.mentorg.com> wrote:
>In article <CG9q3...@kaiwan.com> Profess'nal Agitator, agit...@kaiwan.com
>writes: >Agitator, who was beat out at $150 for an original sketch of Takaya,
>Grr!

>Yeah, I wanted that sketch too. I'll bet AX could sell a half-dozen of them
>for over $100 each if Mikimoto would provide them.

Well, what was more annoying is that she went for $80 at Expo '92.
Silvie went for $90 and Minmay for $120. I certainly didn't expect
her to pass Minmay this year.

Agitator "Maybe the third time really is the charm?"
#->

"You know the rules. You watch the show every Tuesday night." --David
"Everything takes four hours." --Paul Buchman // Addison
------------ R E M E M B E R B E I J I N G ---------------//------------
IBM PC - Who wants a politically correct computer? \\ // Only AMIGA!
================================= Bring Back the Caltech \X/ Cannon!! ====

swe...@earlham.edu

Nov 15, 1993, 8:19:07 AM11/15/93
In Article <CG96A...@freenet.carleton.ca>

aj...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Bradley D. Bellows) writes:

So this comment is a tad late, blame my newsreader that crashed for
four days after the newsfeed had been buggered fo teo weeks.

>1) Coach - the ultimate 'cool guy' stereotype. The only person I
>can think of that comes close to him would be MD Geist.

MD Geist cool? 2-dimensional maybe, but not cool. (So I didn't LIKE
it...big, fat, hairy deal).

Steve Sakurai

Nov 15, 1993, 8:44:14 PM11/15/93
In article <CGJ2t...@kaiwan.com> Profess'nal Agitator, agit...@kaiwan.com
writes:

>Well, what was more annoying is that she went for $80 at Expo '92.
>Silvie went for $90 and Minmay for $120. I certainly didn't expect
>her to pass Minmay this year.
>
>Agitator "Maybe the third time really is the charm?"

I was caught off-guard when she went over Minmay's price too. (My hopes were
pretty high right after Minmay was sold.) I hope to be able to go to AX'94
(but it's a long distance, so we're not absolutely sure yet). I hope you and I
aren't both at the auction again this year -- at least one of us is gonna be
really disappointed!

[I wish this #@%$ program would post this reply grouped with the previous
messages; the title is too long.]

Mark 'Mark' Sachs

Nov 16, 1993, 1:21:47 AM11/16/93
In article MSGID, aj...@Freenet.carleton.ca (Bradley D. Bellows) says:
> [gasp, gasp, flounder, flounder...]

> Could someone help me out with this? What is your definition of cool?

Hmm, I think the generally accepted unit of coolness is the milli-Leon.

:-)

"You can't expect me to play a game with weird zoning laws, can you?"
[Your blood pressure just went up.] Mark Sachs, aka mbs...@psuvm.psu.edu
DISCLAIMER: Penn State cares about my money, not my opinions.