Gaver-sensei film review: Streamline 3x3 Eyes I (long)

已查看 10 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年11月22日 04:33:371992/11/22
收件人

Today brought to you Slick Willie 50, for when you really want to try
and slip one by the fans and get clean away with it.

Gaver-sensei's review: Streamline's 3x3 Eyes I

Let my first words before I delve into the horror that is a Streamline
production be...

THANK THE HEAVENS FOR DAVE FLEMING, THE SV II CHICAGO....For whom all
fans will thank for the true version of Sazan Eyes...subtitled.

We now have the result of a Carl dub when the show is something he
didn't really supposedly want. (Word is Kodansha "nudged" him into doing
it.)

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

Unfortunately it's true, the horror that is Rebecca Forstadt, aka
"Reba West" does indeed play Pai. (Guess she didn't have enough work
doing those stupid Saban productions for Nickelodeon.)

3x3 (Sazan) Eyes part 1

Even from the title, Carl gives us a stupid Hollywoodism to "make it cool",
"Altered State" compared to the preferred (IMHO) SVII translation "A Changed
Life".

Okay, children, now that your my friend's, let's have a little lesson in
pronunciation, can you say PRONUNCIATION. Good I knew you could
------

One thing that is REALLY STUPID that the adaptors and ADR writers do is when
they write and rewrite dialogue, they WATCH IT SILENT!! They don't even
listen to the original even to get pronunciation correct. Thus we have
the seemingly horrid renderings, where with the original spoken names,
there is either NO syllable is stressed, or the syllable that IS stressed
isn't what gets dubbed, therefor we have

foo-JEE rather than foo-jee or FOO-jee (most times in the original there is
no stress, though once the "fu" in Fuji is)

yo-ga-KEE-sha rather than yo-GE-kee-sha

ta-Coowie rather than ta-coo-hi (with no legit stress and a VERY recognizable
"h" in "hi"

Kaiyun Wang rather than Kaiyanwan (WHAT THE HELL, WANG?!)
^^^^pronounced with a ^^^^^^^^^^^if anyone gets this reference,
short "a" sound you should be hospitalized 8-)

Voices
------

Don't know what I can say, you've heard them all before, and you'll
undoubtedly hear them again.

Yakumo: It HAS to be Kerrigan Mahan no matter what the credits do or
don't say, or at least it's another pseudonym. Anyone who watched any
Harmony Gold Carl dubs know this voice. IT's too bad he can't act.

Pai: Yes, it's Rebecca Forstadt, alias "Reba West", the one voice
everyone loves to hate.Might not have been as annoying had she
never done any of the previous known voice work, or just maybe she
wouldn't have been so annoying if SHE COULD ACT! She can only play
one type of character, and she can't even do THAT when seemingly it
would be the ONE role fitting for her. One octave and 50 acting
lessons short.

Sanjiyan: Pretty tough making a living since that Invid Regis gig
ended, huh. Seriously though, without the overly contrived, meta-
physical techno-Robotecho-mumbo-jumbo-babble and the totally erroneus
stylization of the character(see the translation section), it would
have been okay 8-)

Ling Ling:Okay, better than average (for THIS video), but even the other
voice actors do a better job in delievering their lines.

Professor Fuji: This was the best voice in the video, though they
gave him a couple of really annoying lines to say [see translation...]

Miss Huan:Half of her lines she sounded like she was trying to hold
back some unintelligible accent. (Anyone who has seen the Seishun
Shitemasu Prod. "Nadia:Laputa II" Grandis voice) She slips in a couple
of lines like the said voice in a really cruddy (for a "professional")
voice.

Chou: Gee, once again, it's Michael McConnohie. Can anyone seriously
give me a Streamline production which he ISNT in?

TRANSLATION
-----------
I DARE somebody to show me where the words "country bumpkin" show up in the
original script.....
-----------

In my critique of Streamline's Castle of Cagliostro, I had about 1 1/2 pages
of notes which I took for the entire 100 min film. For just this 30 minute
OVA, I used up 4 1/2 pages of crappy translation critiques...Better put
on your snorkel 'cuz we're going down....

For the life of me I can't tell what the hell Carl is trying to do, half
the story, he adds 200% more dialogue to spoonfeed the plot to mindless 6
year olds, and then the one actual "narration" Yakumo makes in the entire
show (the couple of lines at the very beginning, and are actually IMPORTANT)
is not even there.

Not only that, but all of the dialogue that gives Pai her "airheadedness"
are totally removed or unknowingly changed. Especially when she
addressed a demon as Mister Monster.

Here are some examples (many) of the various "Carlisms", first with examples
of the Carl "Let's really thoroughly overexplain and simplify unnecessary
plot devices as to make the films dramatic pace totally disintegrate"
devices----followed by Carl "Let's throw away the original humor and put in
stupid inane jokes that only someone with the IQ of a cheese sandwich would
enjoy" devices.

First are examples of Carl-gag-me-with-a-spoon-fed-plot-speak

Lines between Pai and Yakumo inside "Culture Shock", first the original,
then in Carl-speak.

Pai:Very Scientific talk.
Yakumo:Does she really understand Japanese?..She's filthy..Hasn't she heard
of a bathtub?
Carlspeak---
Pai:I've been alone for most of my life [ed. Since when does Pai speak in
complete sentences?]
Yakumo:You may not believe this but I don't find that that terribly
surprising. By the way you've picked up the language you're obviously
smarter than you look. By the way, where can I find a dress like that?
(^^^^^^^^GIVE ME A SMEGGING BREAK^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^)

Narration (in the letter) of Prof Fuji
Original---
Long ago, the became fascinated with humans, so, when they found a means
of doing so, the Sanjiyan took upon themselves the short lifespans of
humans. Right now it looks like Pai is the last of the Sanjiyan.
Carlspeak---
In an attempt to overcome their genetic limitations, the Sanjiyan learned
how to interbreed with their human cousins. While the seeds of their
race were prolonged, their individual life spans were reduced and now
the last of their race wants to become a member of the human family,
wants it more than anything.
{Duh, which way did he go, George? which way did he go?}

Sanjiyan defeating the dimension shifting demons on the rooftop
Original---
Sanjiyan:I didn't "eat" your soul. I only merged it with my own. If I die,
you die. If I become human, you too will become human once more. That
is how I saved you in Shinjuku and now thta your body cannot die, I
won't need to do so again. We are now one.......What's the point in
having a zombie if he can't handle something like this himself?
Carlspeak---(They couldn't even get the Sanjiyan's speaking TONE and STYLE
right, Carl gives it a netherworldly regal megadecibel voice, while the
original is an arrogant and soft spoken [in terms of volume] persona.)

Sanjiyan:Both aspects of my being exist within this vessel. As for the
disposition of your sould, I merged it with my own. From the time of
our first meeting in Tokyo I have granted you the protection of my
spirit. I am you and you are me, joined for eternity. We are one body
and one soul. See the gift I have given you. You are immune to injury.
When I become human, your sould shall be released, but if I die, so will
you. [That last segment replacing the "zombie" line, one of the best
lines from the original.]

A small example of a Carl explaining part of the plot before it's supposed
to: Pai, Ling Ling, and Yakumo have just entered the Huan house.

Pai: Pai feels something.
Pai(Carl version): The statue is calling to me.

Now for some of the other kind, the insipid Carl throwaway joke replacements
or just plain changing the dialogue all together.

[Scene when producing the "remains" of Fuji-sensei. With the two co-workers]
original-
1:She says He's a professor?
2:Yakumo's father was famous, wasn't he?
Carlspeak-
1:There IS a resemblance.
2:I never met the man but he does have a nice smile.

After Yakumo gets shot and falls down the stairs
Original---
Ouch, that hurts
Carlspeak---
OW, hey, is there a doctor in the house?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I SH*T YOU NOT!, its there.

Ling Ling explaining to Miss Huan just what was "going on"
Original---
It's the "Statue of Humanity", but we really don't know much about it.
Carlspeak---
They men who took it were willing to throw me out of a third story
window when I caught them so as ugly as it is it must be pretty valuable.

When Ling Ling opens the protective "wards".
Original---
They're a bargain in sets of 10, and they are easy to use.
Carlspeak---
Dont be embarrassed, I can arrange monthly payments.

After the three escape Chou after the "ward" incident
Original---
Pai: You said you don't believe in monsters, but you had
LingLing:That was business too! Business!
Carlspeak---
Pai:So That's how they raise kids in the big city.
LingLing:It is if you live in Hong Kong.

First arrving in HK, Yakumo staring at his reflection
Original---
What the hell is this mark? It's a real pain.
Carlspeak---
It looks like this writing isn't going away! I got rid of the dress and
now I need makeup.

Sohkai having just thrown Yakumo through the building wall.
Original---
Get out of here, Sanjiyan, didn't you say I should fight on my own..
Carlspeak---
I can't fight them alone, you gotta help me, I thought you had special
powers.
(I can't think of an example of changing the dialogue any more completely
than in this one.)

As far as editing goes, the only editing was done to remove the japanese
credits from the picture in a way like Fist of the North Star, I assume
becuase that it is more recent, they had the capability to digitally remove
them and put the evil english credits on. By the way, the script was
written by one of the voice actors in the show, enough said..

Now that I've gotten through all that horrid translation junk, I guess
I had better give Gaver-sensei's opinion of this video 8-).

Gaver-sensei has nothing to say but, nobody should EVER buy, rent, look at
strangely, but maybe snicker at, the Streamline version of 3x3 Eyes. It
is by far the worst abomination of ANYTHING Carl has ever done, even
including Castle of Cagliostro (see Gaver-sensei's Castle C review).
On a grading scale, 3x3 Eyes would score a G-. (Had to come up with
something worse than F.) This work nearly makes Captain Harlock and
the Queen of 1000 years look decent.

Get the picture?

Ryan "Gaver-sensei does do good reviews, wait for UY2's" Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Chris Timmers

未读,
1992年11月22日 13:29:461992/11/22
收件人
Gaver-sensei reviews:

> Let my first words before I delve into the horror that is a Streamline
> production be...
>
> THANK THE HEAVENS FOR DAVE FLEMING, THE SV II CHICAGO....For whom all
> fans will thank for the true version of Sazan Eyes...subtitled.

And let my first words be, to quote a very afraid walrus,

"CALL THE POLEEECE!!"

>Kaiyun Wang rather than Kaiyanwan (WHAT THE HELL, WANG?!)
> ^^^^pronounced with a ^^^^^^^^^^^if anyone gets this reference,
> short "a" sound you should be hospitalized 8-)

Eeep! I got it! They're coming to take me away hoho haha heehee.. :)

Jack Burton: "What's this, Igg, some kind of Mickey Mouse translation
company that hacks quality entertainment into a travesty of a
kiddie show?"
Igg: "Yep."
J.B.: "Good, I thought so; what do we do, boycott it?"
Igg: "Yep."
J.B.: "Good, I thought so.."

CJ

Somtimes I think Carl does what he does because HE can "see things no one
else can see" ... he should be dragged to the hospital..

RALPH JENKINS

未读,
1992年11月22日 21:09:241992/11/22
收件人

[Re: 3x3 Eyes review]

Ryan, why do you always post your reviews one to two days after
I've already bought the tape? ^_^

RJ

--
The Next Challenge - Public Access Unix in Northern Va. - Washington D.C.
703-803-0391 To log in for trial and account info.

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年11月22日 22:56:001992/11/22
收件人
In article <18...@tnc.UUCP> m0...@tnc.UUCP (RALPH JENKINS) writes:

>[Re: 3x3 Eyes review]
>
> Ryan, why do you always post your reviews one to two days after
>I've already bought the tape? ^_^

Because I have to post it one or two days after I buy the tape. 8-)

BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
sentence.

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Allen Chao

未读,
1992年11月22日 23:40:361992/11/22
收件人
In article <18...@tnc.UUCP> m0...@tnc.UUCP (RALPH JENKINS) writes:
>[Re: 3x3 Eyes review]
> Ryan, why do you always post your reviews one to two days after
>I've already bought the tape? ^_^

Well, there's a simple and effective way to avoid this problem:
Don't purchase anything from Streamline/Macek! (I'm serious.)
It's safe to say that you can EXPECT that kind of quality from
him, considering his attitude towards the entire issue. Even though
his releases are cheaper (in more ways than one) than, say, Animeigo
or USMC, he's chopping it up. Also, since he would also have the
*&*$% rights to the thing, nobody else would be able to get the
rights, unless they co'ed with Macek I suppose. If people would
just remove Macek from their minds, boycott him or something, maybe
he'll shrivel up and blow away. There's little sense in purchasing
something by him and then moaning over it when it's common knowledge
now, that he messes up everything he dubs. (He earned this rep himself...)

BOYCOTT MACEK! (Argh, I hate being reminded of him...)

--
Hi! I'm a .signature virus! Join in the fun and copy me into yours!

The Email Otaku

未读,
1992年11月23日 02:35:441992/11/23
收件人
In article <1992Nov23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

>BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
>sentence.

I take it the a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?
^O^

| Albert Wong |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+
| Internet : alb...@netcom.com | Compu$erve : 72657,2103 |
| America Online : Al Wong | Prodigy : WJTM10B |
| Genie : A.Wong7 | Fidonet : Albert Wong @ 1:125/2 |
| PC-Relay : NEWDIM(#97) | <reserved> |
+-------------------------------------+-------------------------------------+

Chun-Li

未读,
1992年11月23日 03:23:251992/11/23
收件人
In article <1992Nov23....@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Email Otaku) writes:
>In article <1992Nov23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>>
>>BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
>>sentence.
>
>I take it the a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?

Hmm Nadia #5 probally sucks anyways, just go and rent it at Tower Video for
50 cents, well the one in Sacramento is renting anime (The BIG 4) for that much.
hmmmm

--
Danielle Scott AKA Chun-Li " I am the strongest woman in the world!"
I am a manga artist, playing too much Super Nintendo, listening to U2,

Starbuck

未读,
1992年11月23日 16:26:001992/11/23
收件人
In article <18...@tnc.UUCP> m0...@tnc.UUCP (RALPH JENKINS) writes:

> [Re: 3x3 Eyes review]
>
> Ryan, why do you always post your reviews one to two days after
> I've already bought the tape? ^_^
>
> RJ

Some of us wait...

Steve
---
Stephen Pearl (Starbuck) Work: (908)932-3465 Home: (908)566-6842
UUCP: rutgers!remus.rutgers.edu!pearl Internet: pe...@remus.rutgers.edu
FidoNet: Stephe...@f619.n2605.z1.fidonet.org (or 1:2605/619)
GEnie: S.PEARL6 CI$: >internet:pe...@remus.rutgers.edu
US MAIL: 359 Lloyd Rd, Aberdeen, NJ 07747-1826
QUOTES: "What is Starbuck-ing?" -Adultress 19
"Works for me!" -Rick Hunter (The Cop, not the Robotech Defender)

Ralph Jenkins

未读,
1992年11月23日 17:40:281992/11/23
收件人

Perhaps I'll wait a few weeks before buying a tape next time. I
decided not to buy UY Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, only to hear how
wonderful it is. I decide to buy 3x3 Eyes Vol. 1 and then I hear what
a waste it is.

It didn't seen all that bad to me, but this was the first 3x3 Eyes
I had ever seen.

-RJ

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年11月24日 00:38:001992/11/24
收件人
In article <1992Nov23....@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Email Otaku) writes:
>In article <1992Nov23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>>
>>BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
>>sentence.
>
>I take it the a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?
>^O^

Gaver-sensei mini-review for Albert of Nadia #5:

It's EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年11月24日 01:50:331992/11/24
收件人
In article <18...@tnc.UUCP> m0...@tnc.UUCP (Ralph Jenkins) writes:

> Perhaps I'll wait a few weeks before buying a tape next time. I
>decided not to buy UY Movie 2: Beautiful Dreamer, only to hear how
>wonderful it is. I decide to buy 3x3 Eyes Vol. 1 and then I hear what
>a waste it is.
>
> It didn't seen all that bad to me, but this was the first 3x3 Eyes
>I had ever seen.

Let's put it this way, I don't think in the original version, Yakumo
goes "DO.." (prnounced "dough") ala Homer Simpson in the scene inside
Culture Shock.

Also, I didn't seem to find the original version where before getting
hit by the bus, Yakumo going "Oh, great.." as in the Streamline version.

Extra note left out from Gaver-sensei's review.

Best voice in the video (ie least annoying): Bus driver that hits Yakumo,
sounded fine to me. 8)

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Ralph Jenkins

未读,
1992年11月25日 00:30:191992/11/25
收件人

[Regarding 3x3 Eyes dub]

When I first watched the 3x3 Eyes dub, the voice of Yakumo annoyed
me because it sounded so familiar, yet I couldn't place it. It is
*not* Kerrigan Mahan. It is Eddie Frierson, and he played --- Lynn Kyle, Minmei's long-haired kung-fu cousin in Robotech. So in
Streamline's 3x3 Eyes dub, we have both Lynn Minmei and Lynn Kyle
together again. RUN FOR IT!

-Ralph Jenkins

Chun-Li

未读,
1992年11月25日 01:29:251992/11/25
收件人
In article <18...@tnc.UUCP> m0...@tnc.UUCP (Ralph Jenkins) writes:

>[Regarding 3x3 Eyes dub]
>
> When I first watched the 3x3 Eyes dub, the voice of Yakumo annoyed
>me because it sounded so familiar, yet I couldn't place it. It is
>*not* Kerrigan Mahan. It is Eddie Frierson, and he played --- Lynn Kyle, Minmei's long-haired kung-fu cousin in Robotech. So in
>Streamline's 3x3 Eyes dub, we have both Lynn Minmei and Lynn Kyle
>together again. RUN FOR IT!

I KNEW IT! At first I thought it was the voice actor for Lancer, but it does
sound like Kyle!
SIGH!
Were are all going to hell!

--
Chun-Li gai...@venice.mps.ohio-state.edu "Iam the strongest woman in the world!"

Michael Studte

未读,
1992年11月27日 11:03:061992/11/27
收件人

In article <1992Nov22.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
> Let my first words before I delve into the horror that is a Streamline
> production be...
>
> THANK THE HEAVENS FOR DAVE FLEMING, THE SV II CHICAGO....For whom all
> fans will thank for the true version of Sazan Eyes...subtitled.

Out of misery I'm playing my 3x3 Eyes CD's non-stop this weekend. :(

> As far as editing goes, the only editing was done to remove the japanese
> credits from the picture in a way like Fist of the North Star, I assume
> becuase that it is more recent, they had the capability to digitally remove
> them and put the evil english credits on. By the way, the script was
> written by one of the voice actors in the show, enough said..

Surely he could get the un-credited versions if need be... After all,
Nadia was "plain".

> Gaver-sensei has nothing to say but, nobody should EVER buy, rent, look at
> strangely, but maybe snicker at, the Streamline version of 3x3 Eyes.

"Another dub bites the dust." <need I mention the melody?>

And I really, REALLY fear for Dirty Pair now... He may like it more,
but that doesn't guarantee that he'll put more effort into it. :(
Unsuspecting american audiences will most likely get a super-butch Kei
and super-dopey (Reba) Yuri served up, and the original Dirty Pair will
be lost forever. There's never an orbital laser around when you need
one. (I gotta joke, otherwise I'll cry...)

--

+-------------------+----------------------------------------------+
| Michael Studte | Japanese Animation Fans of Western Australia |
| 46 Hackbridge Way | CAL-ANIMAGE ZETA, Perth, Australia +-------+
| Bayswater 6053 | Internet: mic...@izumi.DIALiz.oz.au |
| AUSTRALIA | FidoNet: 3:690/728 (MegaTokyo 2033) |
+-------------------+--------------------------------------+
| Just a lonely | "One two mokkori, one two mokkori.." |
| no-brand hero. +--------------------------------------+
+-------------------+

Allen Chao

未读,
1992年11月27日 17:45:371992/11/27
收件人
In article <-136301...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:
>And I really, REALLY fear for Dirty Pair now... He may like it more,
>but that doesn't guarantee that he'll put more effort into it. :(
>Unsuspecting american audiences will most likely get a super-butch Kei
>and super-dopey (Reba) Yuri served up, and the original Dirty Pair will
>be lost forever. There's never an orbital laser around when you need
>one. (I gotta joke, otherwise I'll cry...)

Kei will probably have this nice, deep, baritone voice. Maybe
like the guy who did the narration back in Robotech...

Michael Studte

未读,
1992年11月27日 23:58:241992/11/27
收件人

In article <By5Jn...@undergrad.math.waterloo.edu> a2c...@undergrad.math.waterloo.edu writes:
> > Ryan, why do you always post your reviews one to two days after
> >I've already bought the tape? ^_^
>
> Well, there's a simple and effective way to avoid this problem:
> Don't purchase anything from Streamline/Macek! (I'm serious.)

So am I, and I agree.

However, there's one product where I'm going to give Macek the benefit
of the doubt: the upcoming combined release of Robotech episodes with
subtitled episodes of the original. I'm hoping that he will keep the
original (japanese) dialogue in the subtitled version and translate
that faithfully into English without making changes... Ah, why am I
kidding myself? He won't even be able to do that. :(

David Chiu

未读,
1992年11月29日 12:13:261992/11/29
收件人
In article <-136296...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

>> Well, there's a simple and effective way to avoid this problem:
>> Don't purchase anything from Streamline/Macek! (I'm serious.)

>So am I, and I agree.

Heard heard.

>However, there's one product where I'm going to give Macek the benefit
>of the doubt: the upcoming combined release of Robotech episodes with
>subtitled episodes of the original. I'm hoping that he will keep the
>original (japanese) dialogue in the subtitled version and translate
>that faithfully into English without making changes... Ah, why am I
>kidding myself? He won't even be able to do that. :(

I think this Robotec thing is two faced; If it sells well, Macek can
brag about how great his (GASP) 'WORK' is, and if it doesnot sell well,
Macek can blame it on the subbed episodes 'there's no market for subbed
stuff...' I can see it now...

Noel Gamboa

未读,
1992年11月30日 02:56:471992/11/30
收件人
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

> Even from the title, Carl gives us a stupid Hollywoodism to
> "make it cool", "Altered State" compared to the preferred
> (IMHO) SVII translation "A Changed Life".

SV II may have misread the kanji in the title, the literal
translation is "Chapter of Resurrection."

--
Noel Gamboa (ega...@ucsd.edu)
"mundus vult decipi" - Dom Manuel

Panda

未读,
1992年11月30日 04:44:251992/11/30
收件人

It all does a lot of good I am sure.

Everyone can be anti-Macek for all they want, nothing is going to
change. Anime fans are nothing more than human resources for the use of
intelligent businessman for profit. Get out of kitchen if you can't stand the
heat. Cease to be an anime fan and you won't have to worry about it.

PandA

David A. Fleming

未读,
1992年11月30日 15:34:101992/11/30
收件人
ega...@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Noel Gamboa) writes:

>gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

>> Even from the title, Carl gives us a stupid Hollywoodism to
>> "make it cool", "Altered State" compared to the preferred
>> (IMHO) SVII translation "A Changed Life".

>SV II may have misread the kanji in the title, the literal
>translation is "Chapter of Resurrection."

Truth be told, I fudged my way through that one -- the two characters
were "life" and "change," but the combo itself wasn't in my kanji dictionary.
BTW, it also wasn't "ressurection," which is "fukkatsu." Heck, I see _that_
one often enough... Actually, I kinda thought "altered state" had a good ring
to it. On the other hand, my ears were bleeding after the first ten minutes
of the Streamline version...:-

Dave Fleming
daf3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Quote from a former teacher re: translations:
"When in doubt, leave it out."

My version:
"When in doubt, make it up." :-

Chris Timmers

未读,
1992年11月30日 18:29:491992/11/30
收件人

SVII writes:

> Dave Fleming
> daf3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>
> Quote from a former teacher re: translations:
> "When in doubt, leave it out."
>
> My version:
> "When in doubt, make it up." :-

Macek's version:
"When in doubt, re-write somthing in that American
children will be able to understand and American parents
will feel comfortable with their children being exposed to."

At least Dave made an educated approximation..

Cj

christian gadeken

未读,
1992年11月30日 21:23:391992/11/30
收件人
In article <1992Nov23....@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Email Otaku) writes:
>In article <1992Nov23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>>
>>BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
>>sentence.
>
>I take it the a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?
>^O^

Was there a Gaver-sensei review of any of the previous Nadia's?
I missed them, if they existed.

--
C h r i s t i a n G a d e k e n

Yakumo: "But I really did destroy a monster in Hong Kong!
Saru : "Ahem, ahem"
Yakumo: "Saru, do you believe me?"
Saru : "Where's my Hong Kong souvenir?"

christian gadeken

未读,
1992年11月30日 21:29:381992/11/30
收件人
>>I take it a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?

>Hmm Nadia #5 probally sucks anyways, just go and rent it at Tower Video for
>50 cents, well the one in Sacramento is renting anime (The BIG 4) for that much.
>hmmmm

Actually, this is a good place to say that, for my money(literally),
Streamline has been doing a pretty good job on Nadia since about
Episode 3; i.e. no annoying mushthewordstomatchmouths, no talking-down-
to-the-listener narration, and the voice actors seem to have gotten it
in gear. The woman they've got doing Marie actually sounds almost
like a little girl. Just have to wait for Episode 6 to see who they
get to do Gargoyle...

Anyway, I think it's a pretty good job, so I was shocked to hear
3x3 Eyes was apparently done so badly...

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年12月1日 00:50:281992/12/1
收件人
In article <84...@ut-emx.uucp> chr...@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (christian gadeken) writes:
>In article <1992Nov23....@netcom.com> alb...@netcom.com (The Email Otaku) writes:
>>In article <1992Nov23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>>>
>>>BTW, you will NOT see gaver-sensei reviews of 3x3 Eyes 2-4. Se previous
>>>sentence.
>>
>>I take it the a Gaver-sensei review of Nadia #5...is not in order then?
>>^O^
>>
>Was there a Gaver-sensei review of any of the previous Nadia's?
>I missed them, if they existed.

As many an old WB toon would say, "He don't know me vewy well, do he."

ACtually gaver-sensei would only review something he could get ahold of for
an extended period of time to full evaluate it, which needless to say, the
Evil Series wouldn't qualify, though I have seen (or rather heard) the first
3 episodes.

Next for Gaver-sensei, net.reviewer, is Beautiful Dreamer (gee, it takes
longer to write a good review 8-), and probably the sub job on the Macross
by Streamline.

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Michael Studte

未读,
1992年11月30日 09:28:241992/11/30
收件人

In article <1992Nov24.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
> Gaver-sensei mini-review for Albert of Nadia #5:

MEDIC!!!!! GAver-sensei used the "N" word!!!!!!!!

> It's EVIL!!!!!!!!!!

It must have finally taken over your mind to make you post its real
name. :)

--

+-------------------+----------------------------------------------+

| Michael Studte | Japanese Animation Fans of Western Australia |

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年12月1日 14:42:261992/12/1
收件人
In article <723133...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

>In article <1992Nov24.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu writes:
> > Gaver-sensei mini-review for Albert of Nadia #5:
>
>MEDIC!!!!! GAver-sensei used the "N" word!!!!!!!!

Ahhh, yes, Gaver-sensei used the N word, however, I haven't, Gaver-sensei
is a considerate entity able to differentiate himself as not to confuse
less experienced net.otaku by using Gaverspeak references. I however,
can say the Evil Series all I want. 8-)))

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

Max Sterling

未读,
1992年12月3日 18:18:391992/12/3
收件人
In article <-136296...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au>, mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

> However, there's one product where I'm going to give Macek the benefit
> of the doubt: the upcoming combined release of Robotech episodes with
> subtitled episodes of the original. I'm hoping that he will keep the
> original (japanese) dialogue in the subtitled version and translate
> that faithfully into English without making changes... Ah, why am I
> kidding myself? He won't even be able to do that. :(

Well, I wouldn't be THAT hard on him yet. After all, this is the first
SUB he's putting out on video, correct? So far, the ONLY complaints I've
heard about Carl had to do with his DUB jobs, not his subs. Anyhow, I
just had the chance to see the uncut version of Robotech: Macross.
Although I've seen LOTS since I first saw Robotech, including stuff like
BGC, Gundam 0083, and other stuff that puts it to shame, at least
animation wise, I STILL found myself enjoying it in spite of myself. As
I was watching it, I kept telling myself, "No, you CAN'T like it! This
was done by CARL MACEK. It's a hack job! It's kiddified!", but after
watching it some more, I simply COULD NOT view it as a hack dub at all!
Except for the fact that the narrator rambled on a bit more than
necessary (in a few places, he made statements that were blatantly
obvious, such as "Captain Gloval is now releasing the Destroids"), some
people repeated and/or expanded lines in some places, and they went a
bit overkill on the "genetics" bit, the rest of it was EXTREMELY well
done. I thought it was quite impressive, ESPECIALLY when the source is
taken into account. It makes me wonder just WHAT he could have done to
"kiddify" it. I always wanted to compare the two versions side by side,
and now that I've seen the uncut version, my curiosity has only been
increased. As soon as it's released, I'll be buying ALL of the Macross
series Perfect Collection tapes, REGARDLESS of cost. Mata ne.

-=]> Max <[=-

+------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------+
|Hi! Gee Claudia, sorry that I'm late, but I thought that if |alumni106@camins.|
|TWO was COMPANY, FIVE would be a REAL BLAST! - Roy Fokker | camosun.bc.ca |
+------------------------------------------------------------+-----------------+

Michael Studte

未读,
1992年12月11日 07:11:451992/12/11
收件人

In article <1992Dec3...@camins.camosun.bc.ca> alum...@camins.camosun.bc.ca writes:
> > original (japanese) dialogue in the subtitled version and translate
> > that faithfully into English without making changes... Ah, why am I
> > kidding myself? He won't even be able to do that. :(
>
> Well, I wouldn't be THAT hard on him yet. After all, this is the first
> SUB he's putting out on video, correct? So far, the ONLY complaints I've
> heard about Carl had to do with his DUB jobs, not his subs. Anyhow, I

My greatest beef I have with him is his translations, voices can go to
blazes. His way of a) putting inane descriptions of EXACTLY what's
going on, and b) completely changing important lines to the plot.

My big fear is that the subtitle will be the exact same dialogue as the
dubbed Robotech, but with the original names put back in. I think he's
too cheap and lazy to go through getting them re-translated. :(

David A. Fleming

未读,
1992年12月11日 14:46:391992/12/11
收件人
mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

>In article <1992Dec3...@camins.camosun.bc.ca> alum...@camins.camosun.bc.ca writes:
> > > original (japanese) dialogue in the subtitled version and translate
> > > that faithfully into English without making changes... Ah, why am I
> > > kidding myself? He won't even be able to do that. :(
> >
> > Well, I wouldn't be THAT hard on him yet. After all, this is the first
> > SUB he's putting out on video, correct? So far, the ONLY complaints I've
> > heard about Carl had to do with his DUB jobs, not his subs. Anyhow, I

He sucks at sub jobs, too. I saw his subbed version of Castle
Cogliostro at the UC Berkeley theater back in the summer of '91. IT REEKED.
Bad timing, occasionally illegible, inconsistencies all over the place,
misspellings, even typos.

Dave Fleming
daf3...@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu

Bill Barnes

未读,
1992年12月11日 16:39:591992/12/11
收件人
First, let me be yet another of the voices chorusing, "My LD's
hissing!" The hiss was noticable throughout the three episodes,
particularly during quiet sections; I was glad the explosions and rock
concerts drowned it out at times, though 8-). Now, while it's
possible it's just dirty or it's a pressing problem or something like
that, two facts seem to dissuade that argument, in my mind: (1) The
hiss completely disappeared during the Miyu trailer (and I don't
remember really hearing it during the opening AnimEigo logo either)
and (2) there was no hiss on the analog track, only on the digital.
This suggests, to me at any rate, that the problem was with the
original soundtrack somewhere. I haven't gotten around to checking my
original tapes to see if they have the same hissing problem. Good
luck figuring out what's wrong, Woodhead-san!

Second, I noticed that the profanity was toned down throughout the new
subtitling/translation. Some examples: "hot stuff" instead of "hot
shit"; "ask me if I give a damn" rather than "ask me if I give a
shit"; and "sleazebag" instead of "asshole." Not that I particularly
want stronger profanity or anything, but I'm curious as to why it was
toned down (knowing almost nothing about Japanese profanities). Did
the translators decide the first version was stronger than the actual
Japanese or what? I just find it more believeable when characters are
actually cursing like real people, that all (doesn't anyone actually
use the word "sleazebag" in real life?!). For instance, I am kinda
glad that Priss' "OH SHIT!!" was left in eps. 3...8-]

However, I am overall quite pleased with the LD. Well done, AnimEigo!

About the new LDs: I know you're not offering a discount on the UY and
KOR ones like you did from BGC (which is why I didn't buy those
tapes), but what about Madox and Bean? Granted, you're certainly not
under any *obligation* or the like, but it would be really, really
nice for those of us who already have both tapes but want the LD if
you offered a discount...Oh pleeeeaaase! Thank yoooooou!

BTW, I'm surprised nobody commented about how the latest AnimEigossip
says they've gotten their hands on My Neighbor Totoro and Kiki's Delivery
Service cels! I figured the Miyazaki fans would go ape-shit over these!
--
William Barnes SURAnet Operations
wba...@sura.net 301-982-4600

U19...@uicvm.uic.edu

未读,
1992年12月11日 17:07:271992/12/11
收件人
In article <-136181...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au>, mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au

(Michael Studte) says:

>My greatest beef I have with him is his translations, voices can go to
>blazes. His way of a) putting inane descriptions of EXACTLY what's
>going on, and b) completely changing important lines to the plot.

After having to sit through THE SENTINALS once,I can affirm right off the
bat that at least as far as a) is concerned you can probably look in any
book/magazine on translated Anime in the next 50 years and see his photo
in a section on "dumbly literal" translations.

As far as b),well...this _is_ Carl Macek we're talking about,isn't it? >:)

** Chris Krolczyk,esq. * DISCLAIMER: My opinions are in **
** Maniac-at-Large * no way endorsed by the Univer- **
** U19...@UICVM.BITNET * sity of Illinois at Chicago. **
** u19...@uicvm.uic.edu * So much for frivolous lawsuits.**

Starbuck

未读,
1992年12月11日 18:53:581992/12/11
收件人
In article <-136181...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:

> My big fear is that the subtitle will be the exact same dialogue as the
> dubbed Robotech, but with the original names put back in. I think he's
> too cheap and lazy to go through getting them re-translated. :(

Well considering he must've had an original translation in English in
order to Macek'er them, I don't think he has to re-re-translate them.

(I hope...)

Justin Bach

未读,
1992年12月12日 04:20:561992/12/12
收件人
pe...@remus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:

> (Michael Studte) writes:
>> My big fear is that the subtitle will be the exact same dialogue as the
>> dubbed Robotech, but with the original names put back in. I think he's
>> too cheap and lazy to go through getting them re-translated. :(

>Well considering he must've had an original translation in English in
>order to Macek'er them, I don't think he has to re-re-translate them.
>(I hope...)

We are talking about original Japanese Macross series, right? Then...
The translation DOES exist. When I saw it in fall '84 through spring '85,
BTHS(Brooklyn Technical High School) Anime Club president used to read aloud
the script. His instant dubbing made it even more fun.
(I have no idea at all if CM has the script though....)

----------
Justin Bach j...@panix.com
sh941727%ccnyvme...@cunyvm.cuny.edu
NG! l9...@cunyvm.cuny.edu

Robert J Woodhead

未读,
1992年12月12日 05:57:231992/12/12
收件人
wba...@sura.net (Bill Barnes) writes:

>First, let me be yet another of the voices chorusing, "My LD's
>hissing!"

We have confirmed that there is hiss there that shouldn't be. We
are currently trying to determine what went wrong. More details as
they become available.

The other 3 LD's should not have this problem, as they were mastered
in a different way with noise-reduction processing done in Japan and
digitally stored on the D2 master.

>Second, I noticed that the profanity was toned down throughout the new
>subtitling/translation. Some examples: "hot stuff" instead of "hot
>shit"; "ask me if I give a damn" rather than "ask me if I give a
>shit"; and "sleazebag" instead of "asshole."

BGC 1-3 were originally done at a time when we were evolving our
standards for use of language, especially with regard to mapping of
Japanese profanity (relatively mild, with tone and context being most
important) to English (a much bigger volcabulary). When we redid 1-3,
we updated the translation to our current standards.

>About the new LDs: I know you're not offering a discount on the UY and
>KOR ones like you did from BGC (which is why I didn't buy those
>tapes), but what about Madox and Bean? Granted, you're certainly not
>under any *obligation* or the like, but it would be really, really
>nice for those of us who already have both tapes but want the LD if
>you offered a discount...Oh pleeeeaaase! Thank yoooooou!

Several people have asked for this, and it will be discussed, but no
promises.

| Robert J. Woodhead, Biar Games / AnimEigo, Incs. tre...@forEtune.co.jp |
| AnimEigo US Office Email (for general questions): 7244...@compuserve.com |

Doug Cha

未读,
1992年12月13日 15:03:191992/12/13
收件人
In article <Dec.11.18.53...@remus.rutgers.edu> pe...@remus.rutgers.edu (Starbuck) writes:
>In article <-136181...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au> mic...@izumi.DIALix.oz.au (Michael Studte) writes:
>
>> My big fear is that the subtitle will be the exact same dialogue as the
>> dubbed Robotech, but with the original names put back in. I think he's
>> too cheap and lazy to go through getting them re-translated. :(
>
>Well considering he must've had an original translation in English in
>order to Macek'er them, I don't think he has to re-re-translate them.
>
>(I hope...)

Who says that he even had an original translation? Maybe he
Macek'ered them from scratch! A 'true' Macek'er job then huh?

--
++++++Neo Jion Press+++++----
+ "Terminate with EXTREME prejudice."

Ryan P. Gavigan

未读,
1992年12月14日 02:31:431992/12/14
收件人

RE:Robotech "translations"

Carl has said that he watched to shows through several times SILENT to
come up with plot ideas ans interconnection.

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

0 个新帖子