Castle Cagliostro in Batman(Re: BATMAN: TAS 9/21 Clock King)

1 view

Ryan P. Gavigan

Sep 22, 1992, 3:08:48 AM9/22/92
In article <1992Sep22.0...@reed.edu> od...@reed.edu (Iain Odlin) writes:

> The explosion is easy to explain: The oxygen wasn't being pumped out of the
> room, but into a tank in the box. When the gelignite inside the box went, it
> ruptured the tank and released the air, allowing lovely flashing plumes of
> fire. Or something like that... ;)
>
> Did any of you other Otaku (Otakus? What is the plural, anyway...) find
> yourselves thinking of Castle Cagliostro throughout the final fight?

I definitely got the impression that Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro had a
influence on the last scenes (ie pretty much the exact fight scenes).
That influence had to come from the US side, being all the storyboards were
done here, even though Sunrise did the animatoin (when will WB figure out that
TMS is the only company that actually cares enough about doing US contract
work to give a true professional product, this episode had horrid animation.
And tomorrows Joker episode definitely isn't TMS work.)

Examples of Castle C influence,
The whole clock face layout. Interior clock layout fight scenes nearly
exactly having the same choreography (the two vertical gears coming together,
the Clock King riding the gears the exact same fashion as Count Cagliostro),
Clock King jabbing at Batman, causing him to fall off the clock hand. Even
a similiar way of saving the hostage, except Gotham doesn't exactly have
a lake around the clock tower 8-). The beginnings of the collapse of the
interior is so close to Castle C in choreography, it's scary.

Ryan Gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

of influence in the last scenes
>--
> --------------------------------- Iain Odlin ---------------------------------
> 10 Crosby Street, Level 3, Portland ME 04103
> od...@reed.edu
> --- "I should say he'll be gone a while. They buried him this morning..." ---

Message has been deleted

VGR (Craig Pell)

Sep 23, 1992, 7:11:52 PM9/23/92
In article <1992Sep23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

>>I wouldn't give TMS too much praise. They are the one's responsible for
>>tons of junk that has comes stateside. Sure, there have been good one's
>>they have done (Mighty Orbots....) but they mill out so much junk it's
>>disgusting....
>Mighty Orbots SUCKS BIG TIME!! imho, I just got a chance to see some, and it
>was just god-awful. Animation was ok, but the story and dialogue was putrid.

Really? I didn't think so. The dialogue was average at the very least.
The images and movement were stunning. Not the greatest work of all time,
but definitely above average. And I seem to recall "Mighty Orbots" being
the first, yes, the very first, show that had the "five-robots-combine-into-
one-big-robot" gimmick. I know it was before Transformers and Voltron, at
least in America.

VGR

Mike M. Tatsugawa

Sep 23, 1992, 8:49:51 PM9/23/92
In article <1992Sep23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>In article <1992Sep22.1...@panix.com> j...@panix.com (Jack Szwergold) writes:

>>In <1992Sep22.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>>
>>>I definitely got the impression that Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro had a
>>>influence on the last scenes (ie pretty much the exact fight scenes).
>>>That influence had to come from the US side, being all the storyboards were
>>>done here, even though Sunrise did the animatoin (when will WB figure out that

You are forgetting one thing. TMS owned Castle Cagliostro. They were
the only company to hold a Miyazaki film outside of Tokuma Shoten.
This is also why Carl got and kept the distribution rights for this
film.

Mike

--
Mike Tatsugawa, AKA shogun: The busiest anime fan in the world!
President, SPJA: 2425 B Channing, Suite 684, Brk, CA 94704

mt...@ocf.berkeley.edu sho...@sutro.sfsu.edu sho...@sfsu.edu

Ryan P. Gavigan

Sep 24, 1992, 4:04:24 AM9/24/92
In article <1992Sep23....@nic.csu.net> sho...@sutro.SFSU.EDU (Mike M. Tatsugawa) writes:
>In article <1992Sep23.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu> gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:

>You are forgetting one thing. TMS owned Castle Cagliostro. They were
>the only company to hold a Miyazaki film outside of Tokuma Shoten.
>This is also why Carl got and kept the distribution rights for this
>film.

I didn't forget they owned it, but they still didn't "make" it.

ryan gavigan
gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu

ij...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu

Sep 24, 1992, 9:35:09 PM9/24/92
In article <1992Sep22.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu>, gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
> In article <1992Sep22.0...@reed.edu> od...@reed.edu (Iain Odlin) writes:
>>

>> Did any of you other Otaku (Otakus? What is the plural, anyway...) find
>> yourselves thinking of Castle Cagliostro throughout the final fight?
>>
> I definitely got the impression that Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro had a
> influence on the last scenes (ie pretty much the exact fight scenes).

Also, in "Pretty in Posion"

Harvey Dent: "...That's why I'm going to marry her."
Burce Wayne: "<coughing, spits out coffee> What? You've only known her a week!"

ROBOTECH: Macross Saga, "Wedding Bells"

Max Sterling: "Rick, I think I'm gonna get married."
Rick Hunter : "<coughing, spits out coffee> What? You've only been on one date!"

My local station was playing Macross recently and, while taping it, I wound
up taping exactly over that ep of Batman with Wedding Bells...eerie, huh? :)

________ _______ _ ________ ____
|______ | |_____ | | | |________| |____|
/ / | | _ _ _ | \ ________ ______ _______
/ \ | | |_||_| / / | \ |________| |____ | |_______|
/ /\ \ _____| | ____/ / | |\ \ ________ / /
/_/ \_\ |_______| |_____/ |_| \/ |________| /_/

| Nippon no anime wa ichi-ban desu! Otaku rule! |
| Hey, man, I _like_ Robotech. So sue me. |
| Sukotto Miraa/Scott Miller (ij...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu) |

Floyd Johnson

Sep 26, 1992, 8:00:28 PM9/26/92
ij...@vaxb.acs.unt.edu writes:

>In article <1992Sep22.0...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu>, gav...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu (Ryan P. Gavigan) writes:
>> In article <1992Sep22.0...@reed.edu> od...@reed.edu (Iain Odlin) writes:
>>>

>>> Did any of you other Otaku (Otakus? What is the plural, anyway...) find
>>> yourselves thinking of Castle Cagliostro throughout the final fight?
>>>
>> I definitely got the impression that Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro had a
>> influence on the last scenes (ie pretty much the exact fight scenes).

You might say it could be expected, had Tokyo Movie Shinsa much of a
say in the story/direction-remember who was behind the Lupin
animation.

>Also, in "Pretty in Posion"

>Harvey Dent: "...That's why I'm going to marry her."
>Burce Wayne: "<coughing, spits out coffee> What? You've only known her a week!"

>ROBOTECH: Macross Saga, "Wedding Bells"

>Max Sterling: "Rick, I think I'm gonna get married."
>Rick Hunter : "<coughing, spits out coffee> What? You've only been on one date!"

At first, I'd've said, "Baka! That was Tatsunoko." (is Gainax what
became of them?), until I recall a related clip from Macross
(Pirina[sp?] and Jiinus do battle in a videogame). This depicted a
seqeunce that resembles a piece of Lupin animation (the original
appeared stateside a year earlier in "Cliff Hanger"), in a sort of
tribute to TMS.

Anyhow, the coffee bit was more likely to have been coincidence--the
story I got on Batman was that it wasn't coproduced (a la Mighty
Orbots)--the statesiders farm the storyboards, etc. out to the
animation houses.

FLJ