Gee...more vampires...*yawn*

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 22, 2007, 2:55:43 PM2/22/07

Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.

The following week, March 10, it is being replaced with Blood +, the
followup series to the anime film "Blood: The Last Vampire".

So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of running one
shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire anime and
replacing it with...

...an even shittier vampire anime.

Yyyyyeah.

--
Beef broth is cow-flavored water.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
The Eternal Lost Lurker
www.lurkerdrome.com

Fish Eye no Miko

Feb 22, 2007, 3:28:12 PM2/22/07
"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <kuraebakayarou.lurkerdr...@sbcglobal.net>
wrote:

> Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.
> The following week, March 10, it is being replaced

> with Blood +, the follow up series to the anime

> film "Blood: The Last Vampire".
> So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE
> as a result of running one shitty vampire anime, they're
> yanking said shitty vampire anime and replacing it with...
> ...an even shittier vampire anime.
> Yyyyyeah.

Heh...
That's sad.. I like vampires, but with the exception of _Hellsing_, I
can't think of a vampire anime series that I *really* like and that
would be popular in the S.

Catherine Johnson.

Juan F. Lara

Feb 22, 2007, 3:03:01 PM2/22/07
In article <OymDh.126$tv6...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>,

The Eternal Lost Lurker <kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of running one
>shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire anime and
>replacing it with...
>
>...an even shittier vampire anime.

Anyone for garlic bread?...

- Juan F. Lara

Chika

Feb 22, 2007, 3:48:19 PM2/22/07
In article <erkstl$go5$1...@hubcap.clemson.edu>, Juan F. Lara

> Anyone for garlic bread?...

Nah. I'll have the stake...

--
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

... LASER : Looking At Source Erases Retina

Galen Musbach

Feb 22, 2007, 4:21:06 PM2/22/07
On 22 Feb 2007 12:28:12 -0800, "Fish Eye no Miko" <fe...@cox.net>
wrote:

Well, since cartoons are for children, how about
_Vampiyan Kids?_

Or, if we're looking to Adult Swim, _Negima?!_

_Karin_ might go over well.

-Galen

Juan F. Lara

Feb 22, 2007, 4:28:58 PM2/22/07
In article <4eb95207...@no.spam.here>,

Chika <miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:
>In article <erkstl$go5$1...@hubcap.clemson.edu>, Juan F. Lara
><lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote:
>> In article <OymDh.126$tv6...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>, The Eternal
>> Lost Lurker <kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> >So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of running
>> >one shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire anime and
>> >replacing it with...
>> >
>> >...an even shittier vampire anime.
>
>> Anyone for garlic bread?...
>
> Nah. I'll have the stake...

You sure? It came out rather wooden...

- Juan F. Lara

ashez...@yahoo.com

Feb 22, 2007, 4:58:06 PM2/22/07

Has Hellsing ever been shown on Adult Swim?

Arnold Kim

Feb 22, 2007, 5:43:51 PM2/22/07

"Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message

Pardon me for sticking my neck out for him, but I don't think he'll be too
cross about that.

Arnold Kim

Captain Nerd

Feb 22, 2007, 5:49:49 PM2/22/07
In article <v0pDh.482$3c...@newsfe12.lga>,
"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

You can't blame AS for tapping the same vein, the way they're
lymphing along in the ratings...

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Phil Yff

Feb 22, 2007, 6:14:42 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:55:43 -0600, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

> Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.
>
> The following week, March 10, it is being replaced with Blood +, the
> followup series to the anime film "Blood: The Last Vampire".
>
> So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of running one
> shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire anime and
> replacing it with...
>
> ...an even shittier vampire anime.

Did they finish Trinity Blood or are they pulling it in the middle of the
series?

Mata ato de,

Phil Yff

Phil Yff

Feb 22, 2007, 6:16:35 PM2/22/07

Vampire Princess Miyu.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Feb 22, 2007, 6:21:22 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:03:01 +0000 (UTC), lj...@ces.clemson.edu (Juan
F. Lara) wrote:

>In article <OymDh.126$tv6...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net>,
>The Eternal Lost Lurker <kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of running one
>>shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire anime and
>>replacing it with...
>>
>>...an even shittier vampire anime.

Oookay, someone wanna break it to ELL that his "ratings black hole"
was in the top three for the night almost every week it was on?

--
- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

- Jesus Christ - The original hippie!

Phil Yff

Feb 22, 2007, 6:25:33 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:21:06 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:

>>> Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.
>>> The following week, March 10, it is being replaced
>>> with Blood +, the follow up series to the anime
>>> film "Blood: The Last Vampire".
>>> So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE
>>> as a result of running one shitty vampire anime, they're
>>> yanking said shitty vampire anime and replacing it with...
>>> ...an even shittier vampire anime.
>>> Yyyyyeah.
>>
>>Heh...
>>That's sad.. I like vampires, but with the exception of _Hellsing_, I
>>can't think of a vampire anime series that I *really* like and that
>>would be popular in the S.
>>
> Well, since cartoons are for children, how about
> _Vampiyan Kids?_
>
> Or, if we're looking to Adult Swim, _Negima?!_

If you're referring to the 2006-2007 "Negima!?", it's considered a kiddy
show in Japan. It caters to the after school crowd. But, if you're trying
to find the lamest show to replace "Trinity Blood", you couldn't go wrong
with Negima?! - IMHO there are few series lamer than it.

Glenn Shaw

Feb 22, 2007, 6:31:06 PM2/22/07
Phil Yff wrote:

> Did they finish Trinity Blood or are they pulling it in the middle of
> the series?

No. The March 3rd airing will be the final installment of the 24-episode
series. The last episode to air on AS, "The Throne of Roses III: Lord of
the Abyss" was Episode 22; that leaves the two-episode "Crown of Thorns"
series finale yet to air.

--
Glenn Shaw • Indianapolis, IN USA
To reply by e-mail, swap the net and cast

Phil Yff

Feb 22, 2007, 8:25:58 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:31:06 -0600, Glenn Shaw wrote:

> Phil Yff wrote:
>
>> Did they finish Trinity Blood or are they pulling it in the middle of
>> the series?
>
> No. The March 3rd airing will be the final installment of the 24-episode
> series. The last episode to air on AS, "The Throne of Roses III: Lord of
> the Abyss" was Episode 22; that leaves the two-episode "Crown of Thorns"
> series finale yet to air.

That's good. The anime series has a fairly satisfying ending to it. The
story is continued in the light novels. Sadly, the author, Yoshida Sunao,
passed away while in his thirties. His friend and fellow light novel
author, Kentaro Yasui, has continued the series. I haven't been following
the manga which is written by yet another person.

Phil Yff

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 22, 2007, 8:47:47 PM2/22/07

"Phil Yff" <phil...@adelphia.net> wrote in message

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:55:43 -0600, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:
> Did they finish Trinity Blood or are they pulling it in the middle of the
> series?

Last episode of TB runs next Saturday. The following week, it is replaced.

Rob Kelk

Feb 22, 2007, 9:29:12 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 17:49:49 -0500, Captain Nerd <cpt...@nerdwatch.com>
wrote:

>In article <v0pDh.482$3c...@newsfe12.lga>,
> "Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
>> "Juan F. Lara" <lj...@ces.clemson.edu> wrote in message

>> > You sure? It came out rather wooden...
>>
>> Pardon me for sticking my neck out for him, but I don't think he'll be too
>> cross about that.
>
> You can't blame AS for tapping the same vein, the way they're
> lymphing along in the ratings...

Yeah - you'd think that would've been the last nail in the coffin for
that type of show.

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"As far as Doug is concerned, "dignity" is just a tragic disease that

Rob Kelk

Feb 22, 2007, 9:31:31 PM2/22/07

Have you seen "Tsukuyomi - Moon Phase" yet? I suspect it has the right
mix of comedy, drama, and action to be at least a minor hit on this side
of the Pacific...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Derek Janssen

Feb 22, 2007, 9:38:57 PM2/22/07
Rob Kelk wrote:

But it'll look great on your plasma set.

Derek Janssen
eja...@comcast.net

Derek Janssen

Feb 22, 2007, 9:40:32 PM2/22/07
Rob Kelk wrote:

>>That's sad.. I like vampires, but with the exception of _Hellsing_, I
>>can't think of a vampire anime series that I *really* like and that
>>would be popular in the S.
>
> Have you seen "Tsukuyomi - Moon Phase" yet?

No, but I've seen the new Negima?!, is that close enough to count?

Derek Janssen
eja...@comcast.net

Captain Nerd

Feb 22, 2007, 9:42:44 PM2/22/07
In article <mP2dnSWfNdCyz0PY...@comcast.com>,
Derek Janssen <eja...@comcast.net> wrote:

I don't know, it maybe negative to think of that type...

Rob Kelk

Feb 22, 2007, 9:44:07 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:40:32 -0500, Derek Janssen <eja...@comcast.net>
wrote:

Not having ahad a chance to see the new Negima?! yet, I can't say. But
I do know that Moon Phase has the cutest vampire teenager I've ever
seen, and I have seen the old Negima...

Galen Musbach

Feb 22, 2007, 10:27:53 PM2/22/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:25:33 -0500, Phil Yff <phil...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
directly at the 7-10 year-olds.

The problem with Vampire Princess Miyu is the dub.

Honestly, I would recommend Hyper Police as the
replacement for Trinity Blood.

-Galen

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Feb 23, 2007, 1:53:57 AM2/23/07
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 2:31am-0000, Rob Kelk <rob...@deadspam.com>:

> On 22 Feb 2007 12:28:12 -0800, "Fish Eye no Miko" <fe...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <kuraebakayarou.lurkerdr...@sbcglobal.net>
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.
> >> The following week, March 10, it is being replaced
> >> with Blood +, the follow up series to the anime
> >> film "Blood: The Last Vampire".
> >> So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE
> >> as a result of running one shitty vampire anime, they're
> >> yanking said shitty vampire anime and replacing it with...
> >> ...an even shittier vampire anime.
> >> Yyyyyeah.
> >
> >Heh...
> >That's sad.. I like vampires, but with the exception of _Hellsing_, I
> >can't think of a vampire anime series that I *really* like and that
> >would be popular in the S.
>
> Have you seen "Tsukuyomi - Moon Phase" yet? I suspect it has the right
> mix of comedy, drama, and action to be at least a minor hit on this side
> of the Pacific...

It doesn't seem to be AS's type of anime though.

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Phil Yff

Feb 23, 2007, 7:20:25 AM2/23/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 01:47:47 GMT, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:

> "Phil Yff" <phil...@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 13:55:43 -0600, The Eternal Lost Lurker wrote:
>> Did they finish Trinity Blood or are they pulling it in the middle of the
>> series?
>
> Last episode of TB runs next Saturday. The following week, it is replaced.

At least they let it run its course. You sound like you didn't much like
the series. I thought it was pretty good although, at times and in spite
of the different setting, it seems to be patterned after Trigun.

Arnold Kim

Feb 23, 2007, 7:33:51 AM2/23/07

"Captain Nerd" <cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote in message

Regardless, one must always B Positive, otherwise you'll be driven batty.

Arnold Kim

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 23, 2007, 7:37:41 AM2/23/07

> At least they let it run its course. You sound like you didn't much like
> the series. I thought it was pretty good although, at times and in spite
> of the different setting, it seems to be patterned after Trigun.

If by "patterned after" you mean "blatantly ripped off from", then yes.

I'm extremely unfond of vampires as a rule. I frankly find the entire
vampire mythos boring as hell. So it takes something exceptional and
extraordinary for me to become actively interested in a vampire-type thing.

Trinity Blood did not achieve this.

Captain Nerd

Feb 23, 2007, 1:58:38 PM2/23/07
In article <AaBDh.3$pO...@newsfe12.lga>,
"Arnold Kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote:

Fangs for that, I'l be sure to keep a stiff upper lip.

Megane

Feb 23, 2007, 8:26:24 PM2/23/07
In article <peBDh.470$LF6...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>,

wrote:

> I'm extremely unfond of vampires as a rule. I frankly find the entire

> vampire mythos boring as hell. So it takes something exceptional and
> extraordinary for me to become actively interested in a vampire-type thing.

Ditto that. Bloody wankpires. Vampire fanbois types are at least as
annoying to me as Narutards.

Galen mentioned Vampiyan Kids, but that's actually a _parody_ of the
vampire mythos, which is why it doesn't suck.

Megane

Feb 23, 2007, 8:34:21 PM2/23/07
In article <lfnst25mur3lfvfpr...@4ax.com>,
Galen Musbach <musb...@adelphia.net> wrote:

> I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
> to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
> directly at the 7-10 year-olds.

Except there's something about a lot of the stuff aimed at that age
range that causes it to be _more_ interesting than "adolescent" series
like DBZ. For instance, Mahoujin Guruguru soooo rox me. It's cute kids
having silly fun. Quality brain-scrambling crack-smoke silliness.

(And thanks for uploading those raws last month... 4 episodes left! By
the time they get subbed they'll be fresh again for me.)

Galen Musbach

Feb 23, 2007, 8:48:46 PM2/23/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:34:21 -0600, Megane
<megane#fanbo...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>In article <lfnst25mur3lfvfpr...@4ax.com>,
> Galen Musbach <musb...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>> I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
>> to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
>> directly at the 7-10 year-olds.
>
>Except there's something about a lot of the stuff aimed at that age
>range that causes it to be _more_ interesting than "adolescent" series
>like DBZ. For instance, Mahoujin Guruguru soooo rox me. It's cute kids
>having silly fun. Quality brain-scrambling crack-smoke silliness.

I bought Vampiyan Kids, at CD Japan prices; I haven't
even watched one episode of Negima?!, or Negima 1 past
episode 4ish.

>(And thanks for uploading those raws last month... 4 episodes left! By
>the time they get subbed they'll be fresh again for me.)

You're welcome.
If you like that sort of thing, I suggest Panda ko Panda and
Panyo Panyo Digi Charat (not the other versions of DigiCharat).

-Galen

Rob Kelk

Feb 23, 2007, 8:56:32 PM2/23/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:48:46 -0500, Galen Musbach
<musb...@adelphia.net> wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:34:21 -0600, Megane
><megane#fanbo...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

<snip>

>>(And thanks for uploading those raws last month... 4 episodes left! By
>>the time they get subbed they'll be fresh again for me.)
>You're welcome.
>If you like that sort of thing, I suggest Panda ko Panda and
>Panyo Panyo Digi Charat (not the other versions of DigiCharat).

And possibly "Bottle Fairy", depending on what you liked in "Mahoujin
Guruguru"...

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 9:23:06 AM2/24/07
On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:27:53 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:25:33 -0500, Phil Yff <phil...@adelphia.net>
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 16:21:06 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:
>>
>>> Well, since cartoons are for children, how about
>>> _Vampiyan Kids?_
>>>
>>> Or, if we're looking to Adult Swim, _Negima?!_
>>
>>If you're referring to the 2006-2007 "Negima!?", it's considered a kiddy
>>show in Japan. It caters to the after school crowd. But, if you're trying
>>to find the lamest show to replace "Trinity Blood", you couldn't go wrong
>>with Negima?! - IMHO there are few series lamer than it.
>>
> I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
> to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
> directly at the 7-10 year-olds.
>
> The problem with Vampire Princess Miyu is the dub.

The OAV series or the TV series. The OAV series was particularly bad. It
was one of the first Animeigo dubbed and was atrocious. At that time, to
pile insult on top of injury, Animeigo discontinued their very affordable
VPM laser disk that contained all four episodes and, instead, came out with
two hybrid LDs with English on one side and Japanese with subtitles on the
other. Later, Animeigo teamed up with Coastal Carolina and started making
some of the best dubs in the business but their early experiments (BGC and
VPM) were failures.

I got the Japanese TV series on laser disk and never got around to getting
the North American DVDs so I don't have access to the dubs. I am curious
how the dub approached the older forms of the Japanese language in the play
near the end of the series.

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 9:31:46 AM2/24/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:48:46 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:34:21 -0600, Megane
> <megane#fanbo...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>
>>In article <lfnst25mur3lfvfpr...@4ax.com>,
>> Galen Musbach <musb...@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
>>> to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
>>> directly at the 7-10 year-olds.
>>
>>Except there's something about a lot of the stuff aimed at that age
>>range that causes it to be _more_ interesting than "adolescent" series
>>like DBZ. For instance, Mahoujin Guruguru soooo rox me. It's cute kids
>>having silly fun. Quality brain-scrambling crack-smoke silliness.
> I bought Vampiyan Kids, at CD Japan prices; I haven't
> even watched one episode of Negima?!, or Negima 1 past
> episode 4ish.

I liked Negima 1. Some episodes were better than others. The main problem
with Negima!? (2006-2007) is a lack of cohesion. The series just doesn't
handle the plethora of characters. It looks like an advertisement for a
character card game - the more characters, the merrier. The first series
had the same characters but the series 'compartmentalized' them into groups
and regulated their entry into the series so the viewer could get to know
them properly.

The other thing I didn't like about the show was just general silliness.
This is just a personal preference. The show was intended for a younger
audience so I can't complain about it being juvenile. However, my first
complaint is a structural issue. It's just not very well crafted. There's
no reason it can't be better structured. There are some very good series
that target younger audiences.

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 9:32:55 AM2/24/07
On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:26:24 -0600, Megane wrote:

> In article <peBDh.470$LF6...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>,
> "The Eternal Lost Lurker" <kuraebakayaro...@sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm extremely unfond of vampires as a rule. I frankly find the entire
>> vampire mythos boring as hell. So it takes something exceptional and
>> extraordinary for me to become actively interested in a vampire-type thing.
>
> Ditto that. Bloody wankpires. Vampire fanbois types are at least as
> annoying to me as Narutards.

What's a Narutard?

Galen Musbach

Feb 24, 2007, 9:53:55 AM2/24/07
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:31:46 -0500, Phil Yff <phil...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>The other thing I didn't like about the show was just general silliness.
>This is just a personal preference. The show was intended for a younger
>audience so I can't complain about it being juvenile. However, my first
>complaint is a structural issue. It's just not very well crafted. There's
>no reason it can't be better structured. There are some very good series
>that target younger audiences.

Onegai My Melody.
My Melody, 1975; Sanrio.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Melody

30 years in the business before she got her own TV show;
box set comes out this week. Clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ertaE0znH_w

-Galen

Galen Musbach

Feb 24, 2007, 9:58:44 AM2/24/07
On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 09:32:55 -0500, Phil Yff <phil...@adelphia.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:26:24 -0600, Megane wrote:

A person infatuated with the Naruto franchise,
unable to consider it rationally, who gushes
obsessively about it at every excuse or none.

They've recently replaced squealing yaoi fangirls
as the pariahs of otakudom.

-Galen

Captain Nerd

Feb 24, 2007, 10:31:16 AM2/24/07
In article <fdk0u2pb5v6hm61n5...@4ax.com>,
Galen Musbach <musb...@adelphia.net> wrote:

Except I don't think the numbers of yaoi fangirls ever approached
the number of die-hard Naruto fans. It's almost like a sub-cult
unto itself, within the otaku cult. I'm starting to see a lot more
Bleach cosplayers out there, so over time "Bleachies" ("Bleachers"?)
might start giving Narutards a run for their money. And then anime
cons could deteriorate into mobs of "ninjas" and "shinigamis" in
pitched battles in support of their favorites.

I'd pay to see that...

Cap.
(... joking, for those humor-impaired readers ...)

Derek Janssen

Feb 24, 2007, 10:47:43 AM2/24/07
Captain Nerd wrote:

>>>What's a Narutard?
>>
>>A person infatuated with the Naruto franchise,
>>unable to consider it rationally, who gushes
>>obsessively about it at every excuse or none.
>>
>>They've recently replaced squealing yaoi fangirls
>>as the pariahs of otakudom.
>
> Except I don't think the numbers of yaoi fangirls ever approached
> the number of die-hard Naruto fans. It's almost like a sub-cult
> unto itself, within the otaku cult. I'm starting to see a lot more
> Bleach cosplayers out there, so over time "Bleachies" ("Bleachers"?)
> might start giving Narutards a run for their money. And then anime
> cons could deteriorate into mobs of "ninjas" and "shinigamis" in
> pitched battles in support of their favorites.
>
> I'd pay to see that...

So, basically, "Battle of the First-timers Who Didn't Know There Was
More to Anime Than the One Cartoon Network Show They Got Hooked On", then?

...Yeah, and get a few old-school heavy-metal Scroll-heads in there,
too, to start kicking things interesting. ^_^

Derek Janssen (with their battle cry of "Not like that Sailor Moon crap!")
eja...@comcast.net

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 11:08:16 AM2/24/07

I guess a Narutard is someone who would get upset if you mentioned that the
filler episodes were less than superb.

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 11:11:09 AM2/24/07

It's been almost seven years since I went to a con. I think the last one I
went to was Katsucon in 2000. Naruto didn't start until the latter part of
2002.

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Feb 24, 2007, 11:15:54 AM2/24/07

> I guess a Narutard is someone who would get upset if you mentioned that
the
> filler episodes were less than superb.

No, that's just a plain old *re*tard.

Terrence Briggs

Feb 24, 2007, 3:53:03 PM2/24/07
On Feb 24, 9:23 am, Phil Yff <phil....@adelphia.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:27:53 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:
> > On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:25:33 -0500, Phil Yff <phil....@adelphia.net>

> > wrote:

> >>If you're referring to the 2006-2007 "Negima!?", it's considered a kiddy
> >>show in Japan. It caters to the after school crowd. But, if you're trying
> >>to find the lamest show to replace "Trinity Blood", you couldn't go wrong
> >>with Negima?! - IMHO there are few series lamer than it.
>
> > I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
> > to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
> > directly at the 7-10 year-olds.
>
> > The problem with Vampire Princess Miyu is the dub.
>
> The OAV series or the TV series. The OAV series was particularly bad. It
> was one of the first Animeigo dubbed and was atrocious.

The TV series' dub isn't great. The kids sound too strung out. Fine
for Lain, I guess, but the TV series is lighter than the OAV. It
makes the conversations a lot duller.

I suggested the VPM OAV for Cartoon Network back in 2001, and Stanlee
suggested that it wasn't CN-friendly enough. I'm inclined to agree,
and if the dub is as bad as you say, it might be best to keep it off :
(

<snip>

> Mata ato de,
>
> Phil Yff

Terrence Briggs, saw Harley Quinn on The Batman today. Mighta been
Orihime, with her impossibly slender body and those impossibly
oversized grapefruits under her neck.

Chris Mattern

Feb 24, 2007, 4:59:17 PM2/24/07

And, sweeping in from nowhere, it's the DBZ idjits!

--
Christopher Mattern

NOTICE
Thank you for noticing this new notice
Your noticing it has been noted
And will be reported to the authorities

sanjian

Feb 24, 2007, 5:14:21 PM2/24/07
Phil Yff wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:48:46 -0500, Galen Musbach wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:34:21 -0600, Megane
>> <megane#fanbo...@127.0.0.1> wrote:

>>> Except there's something about a lot of the stuff aimed at that age
>>> range that causes it to be _more_ interesting than "adolescent"
>>> series like DBZ. For instance, Mahoujin Guruguru soooo rox me.
>>> It's cute kids having silly fun. Quality brain-scrambling
>>> crack-smoke silliness.
>> I bought Vampiyan Kids, at CD Japan prices; I haven't
>> even watched one episode of Negima?!, or Negima 1 past
>> episode 4ish.
>>
> I liked Negima 1. Some episodes were better than others. The main
> problem with Negima!? (2006-2007) is a lack of cohesion. The series
> just doesn't handle the plethora of characters. It looks like an
> advertisement for a character card game - the more characters, the
> merrier. The first series had the same characters but the series
> 'compartmentalized' them into groups and regulated their entry into
> the series so the viewer could get to know them properly.

I just wish Negima!? had kept its old OP. That was sheer win.

sanjian

Feb 24, 2007, 5:16:29 PM2/24/07

We've all been through that phase. Robotech, anyone? Nobody's gateway drug
is any better or worse than another person's. Except DBZ. They're the
bottom of the barrel.

Phil Yff

Feb 24, 2007, 7:13:49 PM2/24/07
On 24 Feb 2007 12:53:03 -0800, Terrence Briggs wrote:

>>> I haven't seen any episodes of Negima?!, but it seems
>>> to be targeted at adolescents; Vampiyan Kids is aimed
>>> directly at the 7-10 year-olds.
>>
>>> The problem with Vampire Princess Miyu is the dub.
>>
>> The OAV series or the TV series. The OAV series was particularly bad. It
>> was one of the first Animeigo dubbed and was atrocious.
>
> The TV series' dub isn't great. The kids sound too strung out. Fine
> for Lain, I guess, but the TV series is lighter than the OAV. It
> makes the conversations a lot duller.
>
> I suggested the VPM OAV for Cartoon Network back in 2001, and Stanlee
> suggested that it wasn't CN-friendly enough. I'm inclined to agree,
> and if the dub is as bad as you say, it might be best to keep it off :

If it does get on CN, it would have to be Adult Swim. The TV series, as a
whole, may be lighter than the OAVs but the final episodes get super
intense. Because there's such a shift in atmosphere, the voice actors must
have considerable range. One of these days, I'll rent the North American
DVDs and check out the dub.

Johnny On The Spot

Mar 1, 2007, 6:47:09 PM3/1/07
wrote in news:OymDh.126$tv6...@newssvr19.news.prodigy.net:

> Trinity Blood ends its Adult Swim run on March 3.
>
> The following week, March 10, it is being replaced with Blood +, the

> followup series to the anime film "Blood: The Last Vampire".

> So, not content with having a RATINGS BLACK HOLE as a result of
> running one shitty vampire anime, they're yanking said shitty vampire
> anime and replacing it with...
>
> ...an even shittier vampire anime.
>

> Yyyyyeah.

All anime is shitty.

Vampires or no vampires.

Chika

Mar 2, 2007, 2:18:13 PM3/2/07
In article <Xns98E6BF1B...@208.49.80.253>,

> All anime is shitty.

> Vampires or no vampires.

Doesn't even rate a pico-Gaza. *yawn*

Antonio E. Gonzalez

George Johnson

Mar 3, 2007, 9:39:17 AM3/3/07
"Johnny On The Spot" <joh...@thespot.com> wrote in message

Oh, I don't seriously think so.

I've seen the good quality Anime accomplish some very sophisticated
storytelling which makes the audience thoughtful and introspective
afterward. Anime tends to suffer from the same problems that Hollywood
features do. Too much in the special effects department without a great
story to move the plot along equals a vapid hollow bit of eye-candy. Of
course, the audience doesn't always want a great story beyond that of a
videogame level experience and that is acceptable if the audience really
wants it. The problem is that Anime is suffering from too much production
corner cutting.

The result of a hurried shallow Anime feature is that the result can
padded with visual filler and a bored audience. Anime in general has become
a cliche' parody of the ideals that spawned the concept in the first place.
Anime wanted to be as good as the Disney feature films and tell great
stories without the "for preteen children only" mindset that cursed many
cartoons in the 1960's. Now there tends to be much visually beautiful Anime
without a soul to the story. There are too many characters sporting
"Generic Expression #4" rather than "Joy mixed with Confusion which then
changes back to Beaming Delight" and far too often the Anime character's
face becomes a lame emote-icon of sub-par artwork. In short, the Anime with
crappy-Manga emote-icon expressions represents the worst aspects of the
cheapest poorly-animated cartoons and turns the feature into "Japanacrap".
They could only lose more dignity using the generic emote-icon expressions
if they drew an opaque circle over the face and wrote "Angry" or "Sad" or
"Throbbing Head Bump" or "Stressed". The severe lameness of this cheapass
"animation shortcut" versus actually animating a realistic expression only
is exceeded by the resulting cut-corners in the rest of the animated
feature.

Chika

Mar 3, 2007, 9:48:37 AM3/3/07
In article <ph1iu29qgq1i1r5r8...@4ax.com>,

Antonio E. Gonzalez <AntE...@aol.com> wrote:
> >Doesn't even rate a pico-Gaza. *yawn*

> Well, this being anime, they should probably be called *Pika*-Gazas
> . . .

YARRRGH!!! <piku piku> ^^;

--
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

... Live every day like it's your last, because someday you'll be right.

Rob Kelk

Mar 3, 2007, 11:26:16 AM3/3/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 21:24:06 -0800, Antonio E. Gonzalez
<AntE...@aol.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:18:13 +0000 (GMT), Chika
><miy...@spam-no-way.invalid> wrote:

<snip>

>>Doesn't even rate a pico-Gaza. *yawn*
>
> Well, this being anime, they should probably be called *Pika*-Gazas
>. . .

Nah - that implies the trolls have some maturity...

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/

"And really, you think people who watch Japanese cartoons would be a
little more understanding of the seemingly odd hobbies of other
fringe groups." - Chris "Blade" McNeil, 20 Jan 2004

Rob Kelk

Mar 3, 2007, 11:28:23 AM3/3/07

How is any of this specific to anime, though? Everything you've said
applies equally to other media, from no-budget internet Flash animation
to "wooden acting" theatre.

Remember Sturgeon's Law and make the appropriate allowances, no matter
what medium the story is being told through.

--
Rob Kelk Personal address (ROT-13): eboxryx -ng- tznvy -qbg- pbz
"There's always somebody who's going to hate your work, no matter

Johnny On The Spot

Mar 7, 2007, 9:55:40 PM3/7/07
"George Johnson" <matr...@voyager.net> wrote in

The thing that irritates me most about anime, besides the limited
animation, is the endless exposition. Don't tell me how a character feels,
show me!

Phil Yff

Mar 8, 2007, 10:31:23 AM3/8/07
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:55:40 -0500, Johnny On The Spot wrote:

> The thing that irritates me most about anime, besides the limited
> animation, is the endless exposition. Don't tell me how a character feels,
> show me!

Hellsing's Alucard is pretty taciturn.

Chika

Mar 8, 2007, 2:26:45 PM3/8/07
In article <Xns98ECDF10...@208.49.80.253>, Johnny On The Spot

<joh...@thespot.com> wrote:
> The thing that irritates me most about anime, besides the limited
> animation, is the endless exposition. Don't tell me how a character
> feels, show me!

I would question which anime you have seen. If you have only seen what
mainstream TV has to offer, you haven't seen much (comparatively speaking).

--
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

... I idiot-proof my programs, but then along comes a bigger idiot.

Derek Janssen

Mar 8, 2007, 2:44:30 PM3/8/07
Chika wrote:
> In article <Xns98ECDF10...@208.49.80.253>, Johnny On The Spot
> <joh...@thespot.com> wrote:
>
>>The thing that irritates me most about anime, besides the limited
>>animation, is the endless exposition. Don't tell me how a character
>>feels, show me!
>

> I would question which anime you have seen. If you have only seen what
> mainstream TV has to offer, you haven't seen much (comparatively speaking).

Well, given that's he's already crossposted generic out-of-nowhere
alone, at an experienced guess, I'd say the answer wouldn't matter much.

Derek Janssen (move along, nothing to see here)
eja...@comcast.net

Chika

Mar 8, 2007, 3:35:29 PM3/8/07
In article <G7idnUo65Nm5-23Y...@comcast.com>, Derek Janssen

Oh, the old "I know what I like and I don't care about anything else" type
troll. Or maybe a "I want attention" type k00k. Sorry, but my gazameter
doesn't measure that small!

--
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

... Apple I (c) Copyright 1767, Sir Isaac Newton.

Derek Janssen

Mar 8, 2007, 4:26:11 PM3/8/07
Chika wrote:

> In article <G7idnUo65Nm5-23Y...@comcast.com>, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>Chika wrote:

>>>I would question which anime you have seen. If you have only seen what
>>>mainstream TV has to offer, you haven't seen much (comparatively
>>>speaking).
>
>>Well, given that's he's already crossposted generic out-of-nowhere
>>alone, at an experienced guess, I'd say the answer wouldn't matter much.
>
> Oh, the old "I know what I like and I don't care about anything else" type
> troll. Or maybe a "I want attention" type k00k. Sorry, but my gazameter
> doesn't measure that small!

No, it's the old rookie-level "Camouflage yourself in everyone else's
threads for a week, work in more of the dopey gags by yourself when you
think the coast is clear, and then hope everyone else on the group will
leap to your rescue and say 'But he's posted in threads before, like a
good boy!' when the tomatoes start flying" troll.

...Geez, they're dull. -_-

Derek Janssen
eja...@comcast.net

Chika

Mar 8, 2007, 5:02:50 PM3/8/07
In article <Y6ydnVKLl6hn4G3Y...@comcast.com>, Derek Janssen

Rather a basic k00k, isn't it? Didn't think anyone bothered with anything
so trivial anymore, what with all the more rampant idiots out there. Or
maybe I've been reading too many flonkers' posts lately.

--
// \// "Word to the wise guy; be nice or be dog food!"

... I'm the person your mother warned you about

Farix

Mar 8, 2007, 5:15:49 PM3/8/07
Chika wrote:
> In article <Y6ydnVKLl6hn4G3Y...@comcast.com>, Derek Janssen
> <eja...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>> Oh, the old "I know what I like and I don't care about anything else"
>>> type troll. Or maybe a "I want attention" type k00k. Sorry, but my
>>> gazameter doesn't measure that small!
>
>> No, it's the old rookie-level "Camouflage yourself in everyone else's
>> threads for a week, work in more of the dopey gags by yourself when you
>> think the coast is clear, and then hope everyone else on the group will
>> leap to your rescue and say 'But he's posted in threads before, like a
>> good boy!' when the tomatoes start flying" troll.
>
> Rather a basic k00k, isn't it? Didn't think anyone bothered with anything
> so trivial anymore, what with all the more rampant idiots out there. Or
> maybe I've been reading too many flonkers' posts lately.

Isn't this topic dead yet? It's time someone puts a stake in it.

Farix

Rob Kelk

Mar 8, 2007, 8:13:38 PM3/8/07
On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 17:15:49 -0500, Farix <dhstr...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Chika wrote:
>>
>>> No, it's the old rookie-level "Camouflage yourself in everyone else's
>>> threads for a week, work in more of the dopey gags by yourself when you
>>> think the coast is clear, and then hope everyone else on the group will
>>> leap to your rescue and say 'But he's posted in threads before, like a
>>> good boy!' when the tomatoes start flying" troll.
>>
>> Rather a basic k00k, isn't it? Didn't think anyone bothered with anything
>> so trivial anymore, what with all the more rampant idiots out there. Or
>> maybe I've been reading too many flonkers' posts lately.
>>

>Isn't this topic dead yet? It's time someone puts a stake in it.

Please don't go there - we already drained the blood out of the vampire
puns, a couple of weeks ago...