Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love

Skip to the first unread message

afedakendragon

5 Oct 2006, 04:17:2105/10/2006
The fall season is here, and we're off to the races! "Kin iro no
chord", "Tokimeki Memorial", "Lovely Dol", the "Kanon" remake,
"Happiness!", "Gift ~eternal rainbow~", "Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru",
""Baldr Force Exe", and "Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love" are
all racing for the title of best h-game turned bishoujo anime.

This isn't usually a terribly prestigious award.

And having seen YoakeYori, "Kiniro no Chord", and TokiMemo, it seems
YoakeYori will likely be an also-ran rather than a best of class.

Starting off with a pretty waltz timed piano + vocal, we're treated to
some lovely animation of a princess/hime type gazing wistfully at the
moon, before being treated to the typical character montage, and
closing with the hime and presumably the male lead, holding hands in a
flower filled meadow, while looking on at the rising moon.

Sadly, this is some of the best animation has to offer.

Quick searches on the net reveal that at some point, the earth
colonizes the moon, but owing to political differences, a war breaks
out between the earth and moon forces. Eventually the moon and earth
end their war, walling themselves off, and generally not interacting.

Cut to a maid and a hime in a ship. They're off to earth for some
reason or another. Our princess is named Feena Fam Earthlight, and her
maid is named Mia Clements.

The next few scenes introduce us to our requisite male lead, Tatsuya,
his imouto, Mai, the osananajimi/childhood friend Natsuki, and
Natsuki's pervert brother Jin. After working a shift at the restaurant
that Natsuki's family operates, Tatsuya returns home to find a meido in
the entraceway. After his older sister explains that that the
household will be hosting a homestay, she makes the requisite interests
and Tatsuya meets Feena for the first time.

After introducing herself with some lovely keigo ("Yoroshiku onegai
itashimasu!") combined with an equally lovely curtsey, Feena manages to
trip over her gown, and facefaults into the floor. Unable to resist
habit and temptation, Tatsuya reaches over and affectionately tweaks
her nose, leading to a lovely fantasy sequence where Mai imagines Feena
ordering the entire family executed by guilltoine. Feena of course is
kind, and quickly forgives them, heading off Mai's imminent heart
attack.

While everyone else is expressing relief at avoiding an execution,
Feena says "Zen zen kawatte nai no ne" (He hasn't changed at all.)
giving us the clue that Feena has obviously been here before and knows
Tatsuya, despite his not recognizing her.

Tatsuya's sister hasn't prepared a meal, so the new family heads out to
get some food, and end up at the cafe that Tatsuya works at. Arriving
at the entrance, Tatsuya and company quickly scoop up Feena and her
maid, and just barely manage to dodge Jin, who has been thrown through
the cafe window by his energetic sister Natsuki.

One scene later, we're introduced to Takano-sensei, (who somehow
manages to pop out from underneath Feena's gown!) a famous moon based
film maker, who is documenting her earth based homestay. Another pithy
comment by Jin gets him thrown through a second window by Natsuki, who
is now weilding a paddle labeled Se Ku Ha Ra (Sexual Harassment.)
While this goes on, we get the first name basis conversation, between
Feena and Tatsuya, who are of course now dropping all the honorifics.
And cut to credits!

The ED is a generic piano ballad, over some very pretty stills of
Feena, generally looking cute and showing off her melon pan.

Over all, I'm not terribly impressed by this show. The seiyuu do a
decent, but not outstanding job. The animation is a bit stiff, and the
character designs deceptively simple compared to what we see in the OP.
Had the animation quality been as good in the show as it had been in
the OP (or even the SD comedy scenes!) YoakeYori might have faired
better.

On the positive side, the mostly orchestrated BGM is pretty good,
including several different orchestral and instrumental arrangements of
the OP. And while the character designs are a bit simplistic, they're
still pretty.

But in the end, "Kin iro no Chord" was prettier (with orchestrals just
as nice), and "Tokimeki Memorial" has more moe. The characters stay
pretty true to their archetypes: nice guy male lead, gentle princess
with a hidden past, genki little sister, childhood friend, pervert
friend, and clueless maid. But they feel like archetypes, not
characters! Compared to the likes of Shuffle or Da Capo, YoakeYori
seems a little flat, with little in the way of characterization to grab
the viewer in this first episode.

Predictions:

- The comedy will consist of misunderstandings, and fish-out-of-water
comedy at Feena's expense.
- The final choice that Tatsuya will have to make will be between
Feena, and Natsuki.
- He'll pick Feena.
- Feena's past is tragic, and includes a stint on earth hiding form
someone, which is how she met Tatsuya.
- The war will figure in the story some how.
- At least one other rival for Tatsuya's affections will appear. This
may be the class-rep/incho, or possibly Mai's green haired senpai.
- Panty-shots of Feena will be few and far between. Judging from the
OP, the same will not be true of chest shots.

I'll probably keep watching this one for a few more episodes, if only
in the interest of being fair and checking my predictions. (I don't
like to drop a show after just one episode.) But if it doesn't
drastically improve, I'll be taking one for the team, and wasting my
time. :-) In the mean time, if you're looking for something to fill
that bishoujo need in your viewing schedule, try Tokimeki Memorial,
which was more moe and more fun too. As for me, I'm awaiting
"Happiness!"

--
Abraham Evangelista
"Zen zen kawatte nai no ne, konna bishoujo no anime..."

Dave Watson

5 Oct 2006, 08:22:3605/10/2006
afedakendragon wrote:
> The fall season is here, and we're off to the races! "Kin iro no
> chord", "Tokimeki Memorial", "Lovely Dol", the "Kanon" remake,
> "Happiness!", "Gift ~eternal rainbow~", "Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru",
> ""Baldr Force Exe", and "Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love" are
> all racing for the title of best h-game turned bishoujo anime.

Tokimemi Memorial was never an H game. In fact, Konami (who produces
the original game) went after artists who did H doujinshi featuring its
characters.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (Stretcher CD-R--sevcom.com)
Frezier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf[at]ncf[dot]ca

Abraham Evangelista

5 Oct 2006, 11:28:2205/10/2006
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 08:22:36 -0400, Dave Watson
<aj...@fuspamma.freenet.carleton.ca> wrote:

>afedakendragon wrote:
>> The fall season is here, and we're off to the races! "Kin iro no
>> chord", "Tokimeki Memorial", "Lovely Dol", the "Kanon" remake,
>> "Happiness!", "Gift ~eternal rainbow~", "Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru",
>> ""Baldr Force Exe", and "Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love" are
>> all racing for the title of best h-game turned bishoujo anime.
>
>Tokimemi Memorial was never an H game. In fact, Konami (who produces
>the original game) went after artists who did H doujinshi featuring its
>characters.

Saa... Okay, best gal-get/ren ai game turned bishoujo anime.
Regardless, TokiMemo exhibits quality and care, YoakeYori did not. :-(
--
2006.09.22 - Abe vs. the fish of Crum Creek!
Abe: 11

Andrew Hollingbury

5 Oct 2006, 13:51:1905/10/2006
"afedakendragon" <afed...@gmail.com> wrote in

> The fall season is here, and we're off to the races! "Kin iro no
> chord", "Tokimeki Memorial", "Lovely Dol", the "Kanon" remake,
> "Happiness!", "Gift ~eternal rainbow~", "Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru",
> ""Baldr Force Exe", and "Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love" are
> all racing for the title of best h-game turned bishoujo anime.

Kin-iro no Corda isn't an H-game adaptation, nor a bishoujo show. It's
based on a dating game for girls; it's a bishounen show (as is Marginal
Prince).

(also, TokiMeki Memorial isn't H either, but I know what you mean).

Andrew H

afedakendragon

5 Oct 2006, 15:49:3205/10/2006

Andrew Hollingbury wrote:
> "afedakendragon" <afed...@gmail.com> wrote in
>
> > The fall season is here, and we're off to the races! "Kin iro no
> > chord", "Tokimeki Memorial", "Lovely Dol", the "Kanon" remake,
> > "Happiness!", "Gift ~eternal rainbow~", "Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru",
> > ""Baldr Force Exe", and "Yoake mae yori ruri iro na Cresent Love" are
> > all racing for the title of best h-game turned bishoujo anime.
>
> Kin-iro no Corda isn't an H-game adaptation, nor a bishoujo show. It's
> based on a dating game for girls; it's a bishounen show (as is Marginal
> Prince).

Ya know, I kinda have to wonder how the market breaks down for that
sort of game. Does it sell best to younger women, younger men,
housewives? ISTR the primary otaku market being mostly younger male.

Also thanks for the heads up on "Marginal Prince." Bishounen shows
seems to be a growing segment!

> (also, TokiMeki Memorial isn't H either, but I know what you mean).

<sigh>

Okay, okay, Gal-get/Ren Ai games. Yes, yes, I know that TokiMemo's
"purity" is one of its primary attractions. :-)

To all the Sayuri-chan, Tsukasa-chan, and Mina-chan,fans, I'm sorry for
insinuating that they'd do anything H related, even if the doujin say
otherwise. :-)