"Alien Jones" - "Boss" coffee ads

Captain Nerd

Feb 7, 2008, 11:39:50 PM2/7/08

Now I know why I kept seeing all the pictures of Tommy Lee Jones
all over Tokyo:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-04/tommy-lee-jones-discovers
-akihabara-maid-cafes-moe

Doesn't make them any less creepy, though...

Cap.

--
Since 1989, recycling old jokes, cliches, and bad puns, one Usenet
post at a time!

Abraham Evangelista

Feb 8, 2008, 8:16:30 AM2/8/08
Honoré de BalzacOn Thu, 07 Feb 2008 23:39:50 -0500, Captain Nerd
<cpt...@nerdwatch.com> wrote:

> Now I know why I kept seeing all the pictures of Tommy Lee Jones
> all over Tokyo:
>
>http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-04/tommy-lee-jones-discovers
>-akihabara-maid-cafes-moe
>
> Doesn't make them any less creepy, though...

Jones or Boss Coffee? Cuz the meidos are so moe I could die. :-)
--
Abraham Evangelista

Captain Nerd

Feb 9, 2008, 1:02:37 AM2/9/08
In article <cgloq3lronj6q2jlj...@4ax.com>,
Abraham Evangelista <da...@verizon.net> wrote:

Jones, man. I mean, sure plastic surgery is kind of expensive
and can be taken to extremes, but my God, orangutans don't have
eyelids like that! Granted, he's supposed to be "Alien Jones"
but still...

And surely these kinds of posters *everywhere* in Tokyo counts
as "creepy":
http://www.nerdwatch.com/DSCN1495.JPG

Cap.
(... I for one welcome our new fungoid-growth-eyelidded alien
overlords ...)

Phillip Thorne

Feb 9, 2008, 5:45:41 PM2/9/08
On Thu, 07 Feb 2008, Captain Nerd wrote:
>> > Now I know why I kept seeing all the pictures of Tommy Lee Jones
>> > all over Tokyo:
>> >
>> >http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-04/tommy-lee-jones-discovers
>> >-akihabara-maid-cafes-moe

Have you tried wrapping long URLs in angle-brackets? E.g.,
<www.google.com>. That might protect them from being line-broken.

An on 09 Feb 2008 Captain Nerd wrote further:
> Cap.
> (... I for one welcome our new fungoid-growth-eyelidded alien
> overlords ...)

Aieee! That's as bad as Ambassador Fox's sagging lower eyelids in
ST:TOS "A Taste of Armageddon." Somebody get Mr.Jones collagen and
antigravity, STAT!

I for one am glad I decided, for my Worldcon trip, to skip Tokyo and
go for the (slightly) less-traveled locations of Kyoto, Osaka and
Kobe. Akihabara just *scares* me. All the video documentation
implies it's like anime hall-costume cosplay, *all the time*. (And
the U.S. State Department says you don't need any immunizations before
visiting Japan. Ha. Immunizations against *cute* are what you need.)

Mehdi Tibouchi

Feb 9, 2008, 6:20:43 PM2/9/08
Phillip Thorne wrote in message
<mqasq3h8mb08okd0k...@4ax.com>:

> Akihabara just *scares* me. All the video documentation implies it's
> like anime hall-costume cosplay, *all the time*.

You can typically find more cosplayers on Harajuku bridge alone than on
all the streets of Akihabara, actually, unless you count unshaven
twenty-somethings with a rucksack on their shoulders as Satou-san
cosplayers :-). That's not to say it's not scary, though.

Captain Nerd

Feb 9, 2008, 9:55:40 PM2/9/08
In article <mqasq3h8mb08okd0k...@4ax.com>,
Phillip Thorne <peth...@comcast.net> wrote:

<http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-02-04/tommy-lee-jones-discover
s-akihabara-maid-cafes-moe>

> Have you tried wrapping long URLs in angle-brackets? E.g.,
> <www.google.com>. That might protect them from being line-broken.

Ah, no I hadn't tried that, I just rely on the good graces of whoever
wrote my newsreader to treat my cut'n'pastes correctly. I'll try
it and see...

> An on 09 Feb 2008 Captain Nerd wrote further:
> > Cap.
> > (... I for one welcome our new fungoid-growth-eyelidded alien
> > overlords ...)
>
> Aieee! That's as bad as Ambassador Fox's sagging lower eyelids in
> ST:TOS "A Taste of Armageddon." Somebody get Mr.Jones collagen and
> antigravity, STAT!
>
> I for one am glad I decided, for my Worldcon trip, to skip Tokyo and
> go for the (slightly) less-traveled locations of Kyoto, Osaka and
> Kobe. Akihabara just *scares* me. All the video documentation
> implies it's like anime hall-costume cosplay, *all the time*. (And
> the U.S. State Department says you don't need any immunizations before
> visiting Japan. Ha. Immunizations against *cute* are what you need.)

Actually, the two times I was there, it was really quite dull in
terms of the people wandering around. The most excitement I saw
was that one candidate for Prime Minister giving a van-top speech
in front of Akihabara station. Oh, and a demonstration of some
RC "Tokyo Drift" toy cars out on the street. No dancing in the
streets, only a very few meido (some of questionable gender >__< ),
and quite a few gaikokujin. Even at night it didn't seem to be all
that strange.

There is a lot
http://www.nerdwatch.com/DSCN1380.JPG

of cute