Evangelion: Question about this scene..

Skip to the first unread message

Rogue Noir

6 Sept 2003, 15:50:5406/09/2003
I've been puzzled by this scene where Asuka is in this bathtub with dirty
water and she seems pretty depressed.. then a shadow of a man shows up at
the right.. who is that man? I'm guessing Kaji.. Note that this isn't in
Misato's bathroom.

Antonio E. Gonzalez

6 Sept 2003, 16:15:4006/09/2003
>From: "Rogue Noir" Ro...@Noir.com
>Date: 9/6/2003 12:50 PM Pacific Standard Time

Don't you mean Kaji's ghost? ; )

Seriously, just some Nerv guy come collectin' . . .

What *I* want to know is . . . just how long is she suppossed to have been in
the tub? (I know she's been missing for a week; she also obviously hadn't
eaten) Long enough to lose control of body functions (or just not care) as to
make it a lot more than "dirt" in the water?

- Vaughner

"That guy exploits his pets more than Bob Guccione!"
- Marge Simpson

Amani

6 Sept 2003, 18:21:2506/09/2003
"Rogue Noir" <Ro...@Noir.com> wrote in message

It was a Nerv black-suit, of sorts. Just the security type agents. They were
sent out to find her when she disappeared.

--Taryn

Allan Matthews

6 Sept 2003, 19:31:2606/09/2003
In article <yUq6b.11811$U%4....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>,
Ro...@Noir.com says...

Asuka had hidden herself away in the ruins of Tokyo 3.

It was Section 2 that found her and brought her back, not Kaji.

allan
--
allan_matthews[at]bigfoot[dot]com
"And the real lesson of the story?

ten/mark

6 Sept 2003, 19:59:4606/09/2003
Another one of the unnamed agents from Nerv Security that Misato loves to
complain about

ten/mark

"Allan Matthews" <allan_m...@bigfoot.com> wrote in message

zedizdead

7 Sept 2003, 01:13:2207/09/2003
"Rogue Noir" <Ro...@Noir.com> wrote in message news:<yUq6b.11811$U%4....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>...
In the Director's Cut of ep24, it is made clear that what caused Asuka
to be in in the basically suicidal state we see her in in this scene,
was finding out (from Shinji) that Kaji is dead. Apparently Asuka
really was in love with Kaji, and the news of his death (on top of
everything else that has happened to her) puts her into a tailspin of
despair that damn near kills her. She's in that bathtub somewhere in
the ruins of Tokyo 3 because she pretty much has sought a hole in
which to crawl away and die. The NERV security guys find her and take
her to hospital, but she is so far gone that she ends up in a coma,
which is her status at the start of EoE...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

7 Sept 2003, 01:57:2707/09/2003

If I had to guess, it's probably goat.

Laters. =)

Stan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | U of Rochester cif.rochester.edu/~stanlee
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

Daniel Rudy

7 Sept 2003, 02:55:2307/09/2003
Somewhere around the time of 09/06/2003 12:50, the world stopped and
listened as Rogue Noir contributed this to humanity:

Episode 24. The mas is a section 2 agent, intelligence or security
which is similar to the CIA.

--
Daniel Rudy

Remove nospam, invalid, and 0123456789 to reply.

Psaiyan Prince Vegeta

7 Sept 2003, 04:50:3707/09/2003
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:57:27 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
<sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:

>If I had to guess, it's probably goat.

Which explains why Asuka was completely catatonic when they brought
her back... ^_^

Wonder if there's ever been a hentai doujin exploring exactly what the
NERV guys did with Asuka when they located her?
--
Reverend David "PPV" Hawthorne -
ICQ: 339380091

I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank...

'\
_\______
/ HENTAI \========@
____|__________\_____
/ ___________________ \
\/ _===============_ \/
"-===============-"

Ethan Hammond

7 Sept 2003, 05:19:3707/09/2003
"Rogue Noir" <Ro...@Noir.com> wrote in message

I bet it was Unicron, he digs girls with bad attitudes.

--
All Purpose Cultural Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

Pharsti

7 Sept 2003, 06:18:4107/09/2003
csf...@mac.com (zedizdead) wrote in message news:<cf1e5c98.0309...@posting.google.com>...

Did anyone else ever notice that the water she's lying in is red?

http://people.zeelandnet.nl/bsl/bath.jpg

I always assumed she slit her wrist in that scene. Why else would the
Nerv agents choose that time to come crashing in? Since in ep. 23,
Gendo gave the order to just watch the Children but not take any
action, and I doubt they'd actually lose track of her for an entire
week. To support that, in the hospital at the beginning of EoE,
Asuka's left wrist is bandaged...

zedizdead

7 Sept 2003, 10:37:5407/09/2003
phar...@hotmail.com (Pharsti) wrote in message news:<c69bf516.03090...@posting.google.com>...
Sheesh! As many times as I'd watched that scene, I can't believe I
didn't make that connection... Oh, well, that's the beauty of EVA;
always something new to learn or figure out!

Daniel Rudy

8 Sept 2003, 04:18:3708/09/2003
Somewhere around the time of 09/07/2003 03:18, the world stopped and
listened as Pharsti contributed this to humanity:

> csf...@mac.com (zedizdead) wrote in message news:<cf1e5c98.0309...@posting.google.com>...
>
>>"Rogue Noir" <Ro...@Noir.com> wrote in message news:<yUq6b.11811$U%4....@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com>...
>>
>>>I've been puzzled by this scene where Asuka is in this bathtub with dirty
>>>water and she seems pretty depressed.. then a shadow of a man shows up at
>>>the right.. who is that man? I'm guessing Kaji.. Note that this isn't in
>>>Misato's bathroom.
>>
>>In the Director's Cut of ep24, it is made clear that what caused Asuka
>>to be in in the basically suicidal state we see her in in this scene,
>>was finding out (from Shinji) that Kaji is dead. Apparently Asuka
>>really was in love with Kaji, and the news of his death (on top of
>>everything else that has happened to her) puts her into a tailspin of
>>despair that damn near kills her. She's in that bathtub somewhere in
>>the ruins of Tokyo 3 because she pretty much has sought a hole in
>>which to crawl away and die. The NERV security guys find her and take
>>her to hospital, but she is so far gone that she ends up in a coma,
>>which is her status at the start of EoE...
>

> Did anyone else ever notice that the water she's lying in is red?
>
> http://people.zeelandnet.nl/bsl/bath.jpg

Actually, that looks like the bottom of the tub. The actual water
around her legs is a brownish color when compared to her skin color.

> I always assumed she slit her wrist in that scene. Why else would the
> Nerv agents choose that time to come crashing in? Since in ep. 23,
> Gendo gave the order to just watch the Children but not take any
> action, and I doubt they'd actually lose track of her for an entire
> week. To support that, in the hospital at the beginning of EoE,
> Asuka's left wrist is bandaged...

Didn't notice that. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't...I need to look
myself, but what arm is the IV in? Standard hospital procedure is to
usually banage the area where the IV is, and that it is usually right
around the wrist.

Daniel Rudy

8 Sept 2003, 04:26:0208/09/2003
Somewhere around the time of 09/07/2003 01:50, the world stopped and
listened as Psaiyan Prince Vegeta contributed this to humanity:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:57:27 -0400, "S.t.A.n.L.e.E"
> <sta...@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
>

>>If I had to guess, it's probably goat.
>

> Which explains why Asuka was completely catatonic when they brought
> her back... ^_^
>
> Wonder if there's ever been a hentai doujin exploring exactly what the
> NERV guys did with Asuka when they located her?

Oh you perverted individual you... ;-)

Daniel Rudy

8 Sept 2003, 04:30:0408/09/2003
Somewhere around the time of 09/08/2003 01:18, the world stopped and
listened as Daniel Rudy contributed this to humanity:

Sorry about replying to my own post, but I just reviewed the infamous
room 303 scene in EoE. Only 1 wrist is bandaged, and on the blowup, I
can clearly (blurry) see that the side that is bandaged is the one with
the IV. In fact, I can see the IV going into the bandages.

Pharsti

8 Sept 2003, 10:20:1008/09/2003
Daniel Rudy <dcr...@invalid.pacbell.nospam.net.0123456789> wrote in

> Somewhere around the time of 09/07/2003 03:18, the world stopped and
> listened as Pharsti contributed this to humanity:
>
>> csf...@mac.com (zedizdead) wrote in message
>>
>>>"Rogue Noir" <Ro...@Noir.com> wrote in message

>>>In the Director's Cut of ep24, it is made clear that what caused
>>>Asuka to be in in the basically suicidal state we see her in in this
>>>scene, was finding out (from Shinji) that Kaji is dead. Apparently
>>>Asuka really was in love with Kaji, and the news of his death (on top
>>>of everything else that has happened to her) puts her into a tailspin
>>>of despair that damn near kills her. She's in that bathtub somewhere
>>>in the ruins of Tokyo 3 because she pretty much has sought a hole in
>>>which to crawl away and die. The NERV security guys find her and
>>>take her to hospital, but she is so far gone that she ends up in a
>>>coma, which is her status at the start of EoE...
>>

>> Did anyone else ever notice that the water she's lying in is red?
>>
>> http://people.zeelandnet.nl/bsl/bath.jpg
>
> Actually, that looks like the bottom of the tub. The actual water
> around her legs is a brownish color when compared to her skin color.

Looking closely, I can see that too, but why on earth would the bottom of a
tub be red? I forgot to mention though that this is only visible in the DC
version of the episode, the scene was a lot darker in the original series,
and there wasn't any red visible. So why would they change it and make it a
red color, just to confuse us?

>> I always assumed she slit her wrist in that scene. Why else would the
>> Nerv agents choose that time to come crashing in? Since in ep. 23,
>> Gendo gave the order to just watch the Children but not take any
>> action, and I doubt they'd actually lose track of her for an entire
>> week. To support that, in the hospital at the beginning of EoE,
>> Asuka's left wrist is bandaged...
>
> Didn't notice that. Maybe she did, maybe she didn't...I need to look
> myself, but what arm is the IV in? Standard hospital procedure is to
> usually banage the area where the IV is, and that it is usually right
> around the wrist.

Well I have no medical knowledge whatsoever, so I take it you're right. But
then wouldn't it be possible that the bandage is serving a double purpose?

zedizdead

8 Sept 2003, 16:19:5708/09/2003
Pharsti <phar...@coldmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns93F0A5C5A5EE3p...@212.115.192.188>...
I brought up this topic on my usual hangout, Anime Nation's EVA forum;
you might find the response interesting:
http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115509

Psaiyan Prince Vegeta

8 Sept 2003, 16:29:0708/09/2003
On 8 Sep 2003 13:19:57 -0700, csf...@mac.com (zedizdead) wrote:

>I brought up this topic on my usual hangout, Anime Nation's EVA forum;
>you might find the response interesting:
>http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115509

Amazing! Someone suggested a new theory and was not shouted down or
called a 'tosser' by people who think they know everything about the
series...

Wonders never cease. ^_^

Lord Craxton

8 Sept 2003, 21:20:4508/09/2003

"Psaiyan Prince Vegeta" <ppve...@hotmail.communism> wrote in message

> On 8 Sep 2003 13:19:57 -0700, csf...@mac.com (zedizdead) wrote:
>
> >I brought up this topic on my usual hangout, Anime Nation's EVA forum;
> >you might find the response interesting:
> >http://www.animenation.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=115509
>
> Amazing! Someone suggested a new theory and was not shouted down or
> called a 'tosser' by people who think they know everything about the
> series...
>
> Wonders never cease. ^_^

"Tosser"? 0_o;;;;;;;

-Lord Craxton

5parrow

9 Sept 2003, 15:36:3209/09/2003
Lord Craxton wrote:
>>Amazing! Someone suggested a new theory and was not shouted down or
>>called a 'tosser' by people who think they know everything about the
>>series...
>>Wonders never cease. ^_^
> "Tosser"? 0_o;;;;;;;

Tosser. n. A category of human beings, usu. male, which includes but is
not limited to (1) goat and (2) the set of otaku who own "unofficial"
dakimakura of female anime characters.

- 5parrow

Psaiyan Prince Vegeta

9 Sept 2003, 16:22:4809/09/2003
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 15:36:32 -0400, 5parrow <mail....@gtg692n.edu>
wrote:

What about those of us who own (or in my case, would love to own)
*official* dakimakura such as this?

http://www.gainax.co.jp/goods/makura/index.html

Drizzle

9 Sept 2003, 16:46:0409/09/2003
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 19:36:32 GMT, 5parrow <mail....@gtg692n.edu> wrote

also called wankers (people who wank or masturbate)

may also refer to people who litter. (discard rubbish in the wrong place etc)

could have other meanings but there the ones I've encountered.

Rudolf Polzer

9 Sept 2003, 17:13:2709/09/2003
Scripsit illa aut ille »5parrow« <mail....@gtg692n.edu>:

How did you come to the conclusion that these two sets are disjoint?

5parrow

10 Sept 2003, 10:34:2910/09/2003
Rudolf Polzer wrote:

Where is it stated in the above definition that the two sets are
disjoint? I simply cannot confirm that one is a subset of the other
(although I would ascribe a high probability to that particular
configuration). ;)

- 5parrow

Sakaki

14 Sept 2003, 22:47:2214/09/2003
Pharsti <phar...@coldmail.com> wrote in

> Daniel Rudy <dcr...@invalid.pacbell.nospam.net.0123456789> wrote in

>>> Did anyone else ever notice that the water she's lying in is red?
>>>
>>> http://people.zeelandnet.nl/bsl/bath.jpg
>>
>> Actually, that looks like the bottom of the tub. The actual water
>> around her legs is a brownish color when compared to her skin color.
>
> Looking closely, I can see that too, but why on earth would the bottom
> of a tub be red? I forgot to mention though that this is only visible
> in the DC version of the episode, the scene was a lot darker in the
> original series, and there wasn't any red visible. So why would they
> change it and make it a red color, just to confuse us?

Rust. It is a metal tub, most likely cast iron, and the building it is in
has no roof. So it has been exposed to the elements, quite likely for some
time, and rain water sitting in the bottom of the tub over time would cause
it to rust.

Frank White

14 Sept 2003, 23:13:4814/09/2003
In article <Xns93F6E7E67208...@204.127.199.17>,
Alph...@work.com says...

Blood makes more sense...

FW

Sakaki

16 Sept 2003, 18:22:2616/09/2003
fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote in

Possibly; but the question was why would a tub bottom be red, rust would
do that, blood would make the water red not the bottom. Unless it was
old blood left to dry there, but that would be more brown than red. ;)

Vaughn L.Porter

16 Sept 2003, 19:39:4916/09/2003

"Sakaki" <Alph...@work.com> wrote in message

Again, the question remains as to how long Asuka had been sitting there in
the tub, and just what her method of suicide was. Without any timeframe, we
can't really say if she had slit her wrists, or was just going to die of
exposure and starvation. Again, yet another of Anno's attempts to make folks
like us debate 'till we're blue in the face.

Vaughn L. Porter
We need proof, not leads!

Joe AOL

16 Sept 2003, 20:24:1716/09/2003
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:39:49 -0700, Vaughn L.Porter wrote:

> "Sakaki" <Alph...@work.com> wrote in message
>> fwhite*NOSPAM*@colfax.com (Frank White) wrote in
>>
>> > In article <Xns93F6E7E67208...@204.127.199.17>,
>> > Alph...@work.com says...

>> > Blood makes more sense...
>> >
>> > FW
>> >

>> Possibly; but the question was why would a tub bottom be red, rust
>> would do that, blood would make the water red not the bottom. Unless it
>> was old blood left to dry there, but that would be more brown than red.
>> ;)
>>

> Again, the question remains as to how long Asuka had been sitting there
> in the tub, and just what her method of suicide was. Without any
> timeframe, we can't really say if she had slit her wrists, or was just
> going to die of exposure and starvation. Again, yet another of Anno's
> attempts to make folks like us debate 'till we're blue in the face.
>
> Vaughn L. Porter
> We need proof, not leads!

Anyone seen the Godfather pt II? The red stuff was blood, Asuka had slit
her wrists and was bleeding to death in the tub. It didn't turn all the water
red because blood is heavier than water and would sink to the
bottom.

At least, that's my take.

JA

David Watson

17 Sept 2003, 00:07:0417/09/2003
Joe AOL (j...@aol.com) writes:
>> Again, the question remains as to how long Asuka had been sitting there
>> in the tub, and just what her method of suicide was. Without any
>> timeframe, we can't really say if she had slit her wrists, or was just
>> going to die of exposure and starvation. Again, yet another of Anno's
>> attempts to make folks like us debate 'till we're blue in the face.
> Anyone seen the Godfather pt II? The red stuff was blood, Asuka had slit
> her wrists and was bleeding to death in the tub. It didn't turn all the water
> red because blood is heavier than water and would sink to the
> bottom.
>
> At least, that's my take.

IIRC, according to a post here a long time ago, in that scene in the Death
& Rebirth movie, the water is not very dark compared to the same one in
the TV episode. So I reckon that the water was dark strictly because of
broadcast standards.
--
Dave Watson, Severed Heads Liberation Front (_Stretcher_ CD-R--sevcom.com)
Swetier Balzoff (aka Ottawa), Ontario, Canada Email--shlf [at] ncf [dot] ca

wing

17 Sept 2003, 01:52:2817/09/2003

"Joe AOL" <j...@aol.com> wrote in message

darn...that makes sense... :)

---
...and the night came...

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

17 Sept 2003, 05:25:1117/09/2003

Actually, blood is not a homogenous substance like oil,
so it doesn't have an overarching behavior like that.
In fact, the density of blood is quite close to water
because most of blood is plasma (water + blood proteins, etc.)
So blood and its components just disperse with the water.
It takes a lot of blood to make water uniformly red after dispersion
(that is, once it settles, not when it blood is first coming out)
because, while most of blood is plasma, it's the smaller portion
of red blood cells that make it red, specifically the hemoglobin
in the cells, more specifically the iron in the hemoglobin.
Meanwhile, what does rust have a lot of? Yep.
Basically, rust is of a higher concentration of it,
so it takes less volume of rust to make the same water red
(or if similar volumes, makes the same water even redder)
but it mostly settles at the bottom and takes time to mix in
(unless you help it like stirring or disturbing the water).

Where was I going again? ^_^;;

Joe AOL

17 Sept 2003, 20:29:5717/09/2003

Wow. Always an educational experience posting here. :D Anyway, I just
noticed my ADV/Manga DVD of episode 24 has half of that scene blacked
out!! Weak. Anyway, as zedisdead pointed out a week ago, Asuka's wrists
are bandaged at the start of EoE, which pretty much settles it in my
mind.

JA

zedizdead

18 Sept 2003, 13:47:5018/09/2003
Joe AOL <j...@aol.com> wrote in message news:<pan.2003.09.17.17...@aol.com>...
To give credit where credit is due, that was Pharsti that pointed that
out; also, it's hard to say whether the bandage in ep25' is from
sliting her wrist or is just there for the IV... There is also a
question of whether the blood, if that's what it is, could be there
for 'female' reasons. Having said all that, tho, I think that the
idea that she slit her wrists is very plausible, as the lines she
speaks in the scene ("No one looks at me.. I have no reason to live")
sound very suicidal coming from Asuka, since the attention of others
is pretty much all she lives for...