New and Notable - Toei anime legal downloads - PreCure

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 10:06:19 AM7/19/08
Toei animation has made several of their titles
available on the IGN Direct2Drive download service;
I have no personal experience with this service, but:
You pay 2 dollars for a personal use license per episode/
The episode is DRM protected, but you can download it
again if it becomes corrupted. So long as the site
contintinues to exist.
Episodes are available from several companies;
PreCure, at least, is new:

Bleach
Death Note
Digimon Adventure 02
Fist of the North Star
Galaxy Railways
Geobreeders
Ghost in the Shell
Kiddy Grade
Maze
Moonphase
Naruto
Noein
PreCure episodes 1-2
Project A-Ko
Rumbling Hearts
School Rumble (The manga has ended, btw.)
Slam Dunk
Slayers, Slayers NEXT
Solty Rei
Street Fghter II
Suzuka
Tactics
Tokko
Trinity Blood
Virus
Witchblade
Yotoden

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 10:20:10 AM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:06:19 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

>Toei animation has made several of their titles
>available on the IGN Direct2Drive download service;
>I have no personal experience with this service, but:
>You pay 2 dollars for a personal use license per episode/
>The episode is DRM protected, but you can download it
>again if it becomes corrupted. So long as the site
>contintinues to exist.
>Episodes are available from several companies;
>PreCure, at least, is new:
>

>PreCure episodes 1-2

PreCure episode 1 is 366 MB, wmv, english subtitled;
it is downloading at 250 KB/sec (on a 700 KB/sec connection).

Dave Watson

Jul 19, 2008, 10:43:38 AM7/19/08

A: Fuck DRM; my experience with getting some music that had that
garbage on it off a gift card has convinced me to never throw any of
my money at it.

B: If they do as horrible a job with subbing this as they did with
the DVDs of Air Master, Slam Dunk and Interlude that they excreted
here, then they can shove it right up their asses right next to those
DVDs.

Watson.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 12:02:25 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Watson
<dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 19, 10:20 am, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:06:19 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Toei animation has made several of their titles
>> >available on the IGN Direct2Drive download service;
>> >I have no personal experience with this service, but:
>> >You pay 2 dollars for a personal use license per episode/
>> >The episode is DRM protected, but you can download it
>> >again if it becomes corrupted. So long as the site
>> >contintinues to exist.
>> >Episodes are available from several companies;
>> >PreCure, at least, is new:
>>
>> >PreCure episodes 1-2
>>
>> PreCure episode 1 is 366 MB, wmv, english subtitled;
>> it is downloading at 250 KB/sec (on a 700 KB/sec connection).
>
>A: Fuck DRM; my experience with getting some music that had that
>garbage on it off a gift card has convinced me to never throw any of
>my money at it.

Playing on a Dual-core, LCD monitor.
Media Player Classic won't attempt it.
Video size isn't given; looks like 512x384.
Windows Media Player has severe mouth teeth in the video;
they totally botched the deinterlacing, to the extent that
the video is worthless on this monitor.

>B: If they do as horrible a job with subbing this as they did with
>the DVDs of Air Master, Slam Dunk and Interlude that they excreted
>here, then they can shove it right up their asses right next to those
>DVDs.

Credit for subtitles is Nippon Golden Network.
Their approach to Nagisa's misuse of phrases is to include
a note in the subtitle. The subtitles are large font, and some
are mistimed by as much as a full second.

>Watson.

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 12:29:46 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Watson
> <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Jul 19, 10:20 am, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

>>> PreCure episode 1 is 366 MB, wmv, english subtitled; it is
>>> downloading at 250 KB/sec (on a 700 KB/sec connection).
>>
>> A: Fuck DRM; my experience with getting some music that had that
>> garbage on it off a gift card has convinced me to never throw any
>> of my money at it.
>
> Playing on a Dual-core, LCD monitor.
> Media Player Classic won't attempt it.
> Video size isn't given; looks like 512x384.
> Windows Media Player has severe mouth teeth in the video;
> they totally botched the deinterlacing, to the extent that
> the video is worthless on this monitor.

Have you tried either MPlayer (mplayerhq.hu) or VLC? I wouldn't expect
the former, at least, to handle DRM cleanly, but I'd be interested to
know how they do react.

--
The Wanderer

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 1:25:57 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:02:25 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

And they are hard-subs, burned into the video
and do not switch off.
-Galen

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 2:03:18 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:29:46 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Watson
>> <dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> A: Fuck DRM; my experience with getting some music that had that
>>> garbage on it off a gift card has convinced me to never throw any
>>> of my money at it.
>>
>> Playing on a Dual-core, LCD monitor.
>> Media Player Classic won't attempt it.
>> Video size isn't given; looks like 512x384.
>> Windows Media Player has severe mouth teeth in the video;
>> they totally botched the deinterlacing, to the extent that
>> the video is worthless on this monitor.
>
>Have you tried either MPlayer (mplayerhq.hu) or VLC? I wouldn't expect
>the former, at least, to handle DRM cleanly, but I'd be interested to
>know how they do react.

Mplayer:
"This file is encumbered with DRM and will not play."
"FATAL Error: MPlayer has crashed. This should not happen."
(MPlayer, btw, refused to open the file from network share;
I had to bring it to the desktop first.)

Totem Player:
"This file is encrypted and will not play."

VLC: Plays it, but the video is pure blocky chromatic hash.

Core Media Player (windows):
"Cannot render file; Unknown error."

WinDVD: fails, no message.

Windows Media Player (second machine, over network):
"Enter license code"
"This license has already been activated the maximum number of times."

Orignal file, after being moved from the desktop where
it was activated to a video directory, still plays.

Original file, moved to a different (WinXP) computer,
still plays from the original computer over network.

I changed the filename after activation (I added the
word "_TOEI_", and the file still plays.

-Galen

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 3:08:27 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 12:29:46 -0400, The Wanderer
> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Galen wrote:

>>> Playing on a Dual-core, LCD monitor.
>>> Media Player Classic won't attempt it.
>>> Video size isn't given; looks like 512x384.
>>> Windows Media Player has severe mouth teeth in the video;
>>> they totally botched the deinterlacing, to the extent that
>>> the video is worthless on this monitor.
>>
>> Have you tried either MPlayer (mplayerhq.hu) or VLC? I wouldn't
>> expect the former, at least, to handle DRM cleanly, but I'd be
>> interested to know how they do react.
>
> Mplayer:
> "This file is encumbered with DRM and will not play."
> "FATAL Error: MPlayer has crashed. This should not happen."

Indeed it shouldn't - but if this is with the release version (as
opposed to one compiled from the latest development source), as seems
likely, then a bug report is probably not worthwhile.

> (MPlayer, btw, refused to open the file from network share; I had to
> bring it to the desktop first.)

Network share as in via a UNC path (\\computername\path\filename.ext)?
If not that, what?

I haven't tried MPlayer under Windows on anything except for files on
mapped-to-a-letter drives, but I know of no reason why it should require
mapped drives... if it does, that should probably be corrected.

> Totem Player:
> "This file is encrypted and will not play."
>
> VLC: Plays it, but the video is pure blocky chromatic hash.

Cleaner than a crash, at least. The "chromatic hash" would be because
the DRM encryption has not been broken, and the file is being played as
if the encrypted data were in plaintext - essentially, displaying random
data as video.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 3:55:10 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:08:27 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>> (MPlayer, btw, refused to open the file from network share; I had to
>> bring it to the desktop first.)
>
>Network share as in via a UNC path (\\computername\path\filename.ext)?
>If not that, what?
>
>I haven't tried MPlayer under Windows on anything except for files on
>mapped-to-a-letter drives, but I know of no reason why it should require
>mapped drives... if it does, that should probably be corrected.

I was running MPlayer in Linux (Ubuntu, Hardy Heron),
and the file was on the MediaXP (64) SP3 Dual-core
computer it had been downloaded to, connected over
ethernet. MPlayer would not accept files from the
network by drag and drop, nor would it see them
from the drop down menu. VLC had no problem
initiating the file from where it was.

BTW, Hardy Heron no longer has a start-up problem
with ext3 formatted MyBook drives on USB hub; it loads
them without user effort.

-Galen

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 4:10:08 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 15:08:27 -0400, The Wanderer
> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>> (MPlayer, btw, refused to open the file from network share; I had
>>> to bring it to the desktop first.)
>>
>> Network share as in via a UNC path
>> (\\computername\path\filename.ext)? If not that, what?
>>
>> I haven't tried MPlayer under Windows on anything except for files
>> on mapped-to-a-letter drives, but I know of no reason why it should
>> require mapped drives... if it does, that should probably be
>> corrected.
>
> I was running MPlayer in Linux (Ubuntu, Hardy Heron), and the file
> was on the MediaXP (64) SP3 Dual-core computer it had been downloaded
> to, connected over ethernet.

But connected by what method, on the software side? SMB/CIFS? Something
else (which Windows, against all odds, actually supports?)

How do you access the file's location, from the Linux box?

When I do across-the-network playback on my own Linux box, I do it
simply by mounting a remote path to a local directory, and at that point
it can be accessed exactly like a file on the local computer - just with
slower I/O. I would absolutely not expect MPlayer to behave any
differently with a file accessed that way from how it would behave with
a file physically on the local computer. Since you say it did behave
differently, I presume that that is not how you did it, but I know of no
other way it can be done (short of program-specific syntax, such as that
used by e.g. rsync); therefore I ask.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 4:24:50 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:10:08 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen wrote:

>>> Network share as in via a UNC path
>>> (\\computername\path\filename.ext)? If not that, what?
>>>
>>> I haven't tried MPlayer under Windows on anything except for files
>>> on mapped-to-a-letter drives, but I know of no reason why it should
>>> require mapped drives... if it does, that should probably be
>>> corrected.
>>
>> I was running MPlayer in Linux (Ubuntu, Hardy Heron), and the file
>> was on the MediaXP (64) SP3 Dual-core computer it had been downloaded
>> to, connected over ethernet.
>
>But connected by what method, on the software side? SMB/CIFS? Something
>else (which Windows, against all odds, actually supports?)
>
>How do you access the file's location, from the Linux box?

drop down menu:
"System"
"Network"
"Media" (computer name)
"Video" (folder name)
"Connect"
Folder than appears on the desktop just like the external drives,
and can be opened just like they are. But Mplayer wouldn't see
the files.

ender

Jul 19, 2008, 4:32:27 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:24:50 -0400, Galen wrote:

> Folder than appears on the desktop just like the external drives,
> and can be opened just like they are. But Mplayer wouldn't see
> the files.

That's probably because your desktop environment can access the network
drives directly, but mplayer can't (unlike on Windows, where any program
can open files off network directly, you need to use special libraries to
do so on Linux, and mplyer probably isn't compiled with one of those
libraries - if it supports any of them at all).

--
< ender ><><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>◊<><><><><><><>< e at ena dot si >

Because 10 billion years' time is so fragile, so ephemeral...
it arouses such a bittersweet, almost heartbreaking fondness.

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 5:50:47 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:10:08 -0400, The Wanderer
> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Galen wrote:

>>> I was running MPlayer in Linux (Ubuntu, Hardy Heron), and the
>>> file was on the MediaXP (64) SP3 Dual-core computer it had been
>>> downloaded to, connected over ethernet.
>>
>> But connected by what method, on the software side? SMB/CIFS?
>> Something else (which Windows, against all odds, actually
>> supports?)
>>
>> How do you access the file's location, from the Linux box?
>
> drop down menu:

In what program? (It may not be significant, but then again it may.)

> "System"
> "Network"
> "Media" (computer name)
> "Video" (folder name)
> "Connect"
> Folder than appears on the desktop just like the external drives, and
> can be opened just like they are.

That sounds vaguely like a graphical interface for mapping a remote
share (of one variety or another) to a local path. I vaguely seem to
recall reading about something like that being worked on for one
distribution or another, and it may indeed have been Ubuntu.

> But Mplayer wouldn't see the files.

Could it see and 'go into' the directory, but not the files within?

Also, are you talking about mplayer or gmplayer, or about one of the
various MPlayer frontends?

I do almost everything via the command line, so those are the terms I
think in. If you open up a command-line terminal, can navigate into the
directory which represents the remote location, and see the files that
way?

If so, it should be possible to play them from the CLI from that
location via 'mplayer filename'. If that does not work, I'd be quite
interested to know what does happen, although by that point we're well
past on-topic for the newsgroup.

If not, then I don't know what the "folder" in question actually is, but
that inability is then the problem.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 6:36:16 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:50:47 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 16:10:08 -0400, The Wanderer
>> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> But connected by what method, on the software side? SMB/CIFS?
>>> Something else (which Windows, against all odds, actually
>>> supports?)
>>>
>>> How do you access the file's location, from the Linux box?
>>
>> drop down menu:
>
>In what program? (It may not be significant, but then again it may.)

Desktop.

>> "System"
>> "Network"
>> "Media" (computer name)
>> "Video" (folder name)
>> "Connect"
>> Folder than appears on the desktop just like the external drives, and
>> can be opened just like they are.
>
>That sounds vaguely like a graphical interface for mapping a remote
>share (of one variety or another) to a local path. I vaguely seem to
>recall reading about something like that being worked on for one
>distribution or another, and it may indeed have been Ubuntu.
>
>> But Mplayer wouldn't see the files.
>
>Could it see and 'go into' the directory, but not the files within?

No, the directory itself didn't appear.

>Also, are you talking about mplayer or gmplayer, or about one of the
>various MPlayer frontends?

From Ubuntu Desktop, drop down menu, Applications
Add/remove programs
Video and Audio
MPlayer
check the box, Apply, password confirmation dialogue
it downloads and installs itself.

>I do almost everything via the command line, so those are the terms I
>think in. If you open up a command-line terminal, can navigate into the
>directory which represents the remote location, and see the files that
>way?

I've never once used terminal mode in Hardy Heron;
the graphical interface is just that good.

>If so, it should be possible to play them from the CLI from that
>location via 'mplayer filename'. If that does not work, I'd be quite
>interested to know what does happen, although by that point we're well
>past on-topic for the newsgroup.
>
>If not, then I don't know what the "folder" in question actually is, but
>that inability is then the problem.

I have to go buy drugs before the pharmacy closes;
I don't know if I'll get back to this tonight or not.

-Galen

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 6:58:38 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:50:47 -0400, The Wanderer
> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> drop down menu:
>>
>> In what program? (It may not be significant, but then again it
>> may.)
>
> Desktop.

That doesn't identify a particular program.

I've spoken with someone around here who has been using Ubuntu, and
after several stages of explanation why I was asking about the graphical
way of doing it rather than just accepting the "use the command line"
answer, he provided a few points which are very likely the answer.

From what he said, the "mount a folder" procedure you describe is
actually a graphical way of creating a GnomeVFS connection, which does
not in truth mount a network path to a local directory. To the best of
my understanding, the only programs which can see files over a GnomeVFS
connection are Gnome-based programs, of which MPlayer is not one (but
the Linux version of VLC may be).

If you want to be able to access the files with any arbitrary program
(including the vast array of useful command-line-only tools available
under 'most any *nix), rather than only with GnomeVFS-aware programs,
you will need to actually mount the remote location, using an
appropriate network filesystem - in this case, since you're talking to a
Windows box, most likely CIFS.

Of course, since you don't (normally?) use MPlayer, and have been
pursuing this AFAIK largely to satisfy my curiosity, that point may be
moot - but it remains true in any case, and possibly worth noting for
future reference.

>> Also, are you talking about mplayer or gmplayer, or about one of
>> the various MPlayer frontends?
>
> From Ubuntu Desktop, drop down menu, Applications
> Add/remove programs
> Video and Audio
> MPlayer
> check the box, Apply, password confirmation dialogue
> it downloads and installs itself.

That doesn't help much, because I don't know what the contents of the
package repository that is downloading from are. Let me rephrase the
question.

Is it possible for you to open MPlayer as a separate program, with a
graphical interface, without having first specified a file for it to
play?

If not, you probably are using mplayer directly, because mplayer-the-
program has no graphical interface of its own.

If so, what does it call itself and/or what does it look like? The
answer will be relevant to which you are using.

For a more conclusive answer, opening the program and then running 'ps
aux | grep mplayer' from a command line would probably be informative,
but the details there could get a little more involved than I would want
to do at this degree of remove.

>> I do almost everything via the command line, so those are the terms
>> I think in. If you open up a command-line terminal, can navigate
>> into the directory which represents the remote location, and see
>> the files that way?
>
> I've never once used terminal mode in Hardy Heron; the graphical
> interface is just that good.

I don't know about that, but I haven't liked what I've seen of the
Ubuntu graphical interface over other people's shoulders, and I find
almost everything much easier on the command line than trying to do the
same thing graphically. (That's not just personal bias against graphical
interfaces; I made heavy use of the graphical interface and almost no
use of the command line back when I ran Windows, but since moving to
Linux I've never even felt the need to try to set one up.)

>> If not, then I don't know what the "folder" in question actually
>> is, but that inability is then the problem.
>
> I have to go buy drugs before the pharmacy closes; I don't know if
> I'll get back to this tonight or not.

Do as you wish, of course. I think the notes above about GnomeVFS are
most likely the explanation, but there's always the chance I'm wrong.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 8:21:54 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:58:38 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 17:50:47 -0400, The Wanderer
>> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> In what program? (It may not be significant, but then again it
>>> may.)
>>
>> Desktop.
>
>That doesn't identify a particular program.

From the desktop, there's a pulldown menu:
Applications Places System Firefox Mail

Under Places, we find various things, including Network

Network opens a window that shows all the computers
on the local network

Opening Media shows 5 folders, including Video and Shared.

Selecting Video gives me a login window to Media box, and then
Connect creates the folder on the Ubuntu desktop.
I can then browse the folder on Media directly from the
Hardy Heron desktop, using the Hardy Heron interface.

The program that does all this, AFAIK, is Hardy Heron itself.

>I've spoken with someone around here who has been using Ubuntu, and
>after several stages of explanation why I was asking about the graphical
>way of doing it rather than just accepting the "use the command line"
>answer, he provided a few points which are very likely the answer.
>
> From what he said, the "mount a folder" procedure you describe is
>actually a graphical way of creating a GnomeVFS connection, which does
>not in truth mount a network path to a local directory. To the best of
>my understanding, the only programs which can see files over a GnomeVFS
>connection are Gnome-based programs, of which MPlayer is not one (but
>the Linux version of VLC may be).
>
>If you want to be able to access the files with any arbitrary program
>(including the vast array of useful command-line-only tools available
>under 'most any *nix), rather than only with GnomeVFS-aware programs,
>you will need to actually mount the remote location, using an
>appropriate network filesystem - in this case, since you're talking to a
>Windows box, most likely CIFS.

I mostly use my Linux box as a local network file server,
which it does well.

>Of course, since you don't (normally?) use MPlayer, and have been
>pursuing this AFAIK largely to satisfy my curiosity, that point may be
>moot - but it remains true in any case, and possibly worth noting for
>future reference.
>
>>> Also, are you talking about mplayer or gmplayer, or about one of
>>> the various MPlayer frontends?
>>
>> From Ubuntu Desktop, drop down menu, Applications
>> Add/remove programs
>> Video and Audio
>> MPlayer
>> check the box, Apply, password confirmation dialogue
>> it downloads and installs itself.
>
>That doesn't help much, because I don't know what the contents of the
>package repository that is downloading from are.

Neither do I. Heron checks 42 repositories and aggregates
them into a single menu.

>Is it possible for you to open MPlayer as a separate program, with a
>graphical interface, without having first specified a file for it to
>play?

I can open it (Application, Video),
but it still shows PreCure in the playlist.

>If so, what does it call itself and/or what does it look like? The
>answer will be relevant to which you are using.

"MPlayer". It looks like the front panel of a DVD player.

-Galen

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 8:42:49 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:25:57 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

Episode 2. Still extreme deinterlace artificing in the video,
but now with static blips in the audio.

-Galen

The Wanderer

Jul 19, 2008, 9:23:04 PM7/19/08
Galen wrote:

Hardy Heron is a version name of a distribution; it is, to the best of
my awareness, not a program. What you describe sounds like something of
an analog to the MacOS Finder, and it would not in the least surprise me
if the Ubuntu people had created (or integrated) such a program, nor if
it were a Gnome program and thus inclined towards Gnomeisms such as
GnomeVFS, nor indeed if they did not make any particular indication of
its name.

>> If you want to be able to access the files with any arbitrary
>> program (including the vast array of useful command-line-only tools
>> available under 'most any *nix), rather than only with
>> GnomeVFS-aware programs, you will need to actually mount the remote
>> location, using an appropriate network filesystem - in this case,
>> since you're talking to a Windows box, most likely CIFS.
>
> I mostly use my Linux box as a local network file server, which it
> does well.

If you're interested primarily in accessing it from other computers
rather than in using it directly, then that may well not be a serious
concern for you. It still might be useful to know for cases (such as
this one) where you do want to do something from the Linux box itself.

>> Is it possible for you to open MPlayer as a separate program, with
>> a graphical interface, without having first specified a file for it
>> to play?
>
> I can open it (Application, Video), but it still shows PreCure in the
> playlist.

But, in theory, you would be able to remove everything from the playlist
and the program would not therefore close (and the playlist would still
be empty if you re-opened the program)?

The answer won't really tell me anything additional, but it would sort
of confirm a theory, albeit one I'll probably have forgotten by the time
I read any answer.

>> If so, what does it call itself and/or what does it look like? The
>> answer will be relevant to which you are using.
>
> "MPlayer". It looks like the front panel of a DVD player.

That sounds like it would fit the gmplayer GUI which I remember from the
few times I've used it in Windows (I don't even compile it under Linux),
but it's still entirely possible that it would actually be a third-party
front-end. I could probably figure out more details if given the exact
package name and version, but I don't know how to get those using the
graphical interface you're working with, and frankly it's probably not
worth the effort and the bother for either of us.

I do appreciate your patience in what is, after all, mostly a matter of
my curiosity.

Galen

Jul 19, 2008, 10:30:06 PM7/19/08
On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 21:23:04 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> Is it possible for you to open MPlayer as a separate program, with
>>> a graphical interface, without having first specified a file for it
>>> to play?
>>
>> I can open it (Application, Video), but it still shows PreCure in the
>> playlist.
>
>But, in theory, you would be able to remove everything from the playlist
>and the program would not therefore close (and the playlist would still
>be empty if you re-opened the program)?

I don't see any way to clear the playlist.
-Galen

Travoltron

Jul 21, 2008, 12:04:40 AM7/21/08
Galen wrote:

> Credit for subtitles is Nippon Golden Network.

> The subtitles are large [hardsubbed] font

Any screenshots of this?
I've been thinking about trying this service out, but if they're
_significantly_ worse than the fansubbers, I don't really see the point.

Megane

Jul 21, 2008, 3:16:14 AM7/21/08
In article <l11484tmn4lh2160o...@4ax.com>,
Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

> Credit for subtitles is Nippon Golden Network.
> Their approach to Nagisa's misuse of phrases is to include
> a note in the subtitle. The subtitles are large font, and some
> are mistimed by as much as a full second.

I've seen some of their "subs" of Dr. Slump. (Apparently these ran on
Hawaiian TV) The translation ranks down with the worst of the Chinese
bootleg subbers, except their Engilsh is a little more coherent, and the
timing is much worse.

And in any case, it's got DRM in it that won't play on most of my
computers, if any at all. (All OS X except for the W2K hooked up to the
big TV.)

Galen

Jul 21, 2008, 5:44:05 AM7/21/08
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:04:40 -0700, Travoltron <travo...@xenu.org>
wrote:

Screenshots don't work.

The botched de-interlace makes this worse
than fansubbers were doing 10 years ago;
it is totally incompetent work even by amateur
standards.

-Galen

Rob Kelk

Jul 21, 2008, 8:31:47 AM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:44:05 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:04:40 -0700, Travoltron <travo...@xenu.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Galen wrote:
>>
>>> Credit for subtitles is Nippon Golden Network.
>>> The subtitles are large [hardsubbed] font
>>
>>Any screenshots of this?
>>I've been thinking about trying this service out, but if they're
>>_significantly_ worse than the fansubbers, I don't really see the point.
>
>Screenshots don't work.

Can you take a photo of the monitor, or is the picture quality so bad
that even that won't work?

--
Rob Kelk <http://robkelk.ottawa-anime.org/> e-mail: s/deadspam/gmail/
"I'm *not* a kid! Nyyyeaaah!" - Skuld (in "Oh My Goddess!" OAV #3)

Galen

Jul 21, 2008, 10:46:09 AM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:31:47 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:44:05 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:04:40 -0700, Travoltron <travo...@xenu.org>
>>wrote:

>>>Any screenshots of this?
>>>I've been thinking about trying this service out, but if they're
>>>_significantly_ worse than the fansubbers, I don't really see the point.
>>
>>Screenshots don't work.
>
>Can you take a photo of the monitor, or is the picture quality so bad
>that even that won't work?

I don't have a physical camera.
PrintScreen doesn't work because I only get a black box
where the image was.

The Wanderer

Jul 21, 2008, 4:55:07 PM7/21/08
Galen wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:31:47 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 05:44:05 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Screenshots don't work.
>>
>> Can you take a photo of the monitor, or is the picture quality so
>> bad that even that won't work?
>
> I don't have a physical camera.
> PrintScreen doesn't work because I only get a black box where the
> image was.

There are ways around this with MPlayer, at least under Linux. The key
is that this "blank window" effect occurs with some approaches to
actually drawing video to the screen, but not with others. I have had
success with 'mplayer -vo xv' and the screenshot-taking program 'scrot'.

Of course, with MPlayer, you can use '-vo png' and the '-ss' and
'-frames' options to avoid the need for an external image-grabbing
program entirely... but that gets very clunky in some cases, so I still
find scrot useful.

Galen

Jul 21, 2008, 6:20:06 PM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:55:07 -0400, The Wanderer
<inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 12:31:47 GMT, rob...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk)
>> wrote:

>>> Can you take a photo of the monitor, or is the picture quality so
>>> bad that even that won't work?
>>
>> I don't have a physical camera.
>> PrintScreen doesn't work because I only get a black box where the
>> image was.
>
>There are ways around this with MPlayer, at least under Linux.

But this file only plays under WMP; nothing else.

-Galen

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Jul 21, 2008, 6:45:09 PM7/21/08
Galen wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:55:07 -0400, The Wanderer
> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Galen wrote:

>>> I don't have a physical camera.
>>> PrintScreen doesn't work because I only get a black box where the
>>> image was.
>> There are ways around this with MPlayer, at least under Linux.
> But this file only plays under WMP; nothing else.

I ran into a similar problem with WMP which turned out to be
rectifiable by unchecking a box on how it rendered things. Alas, I can't
remember exactly what it was.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Galen

Jul 21, 2008, 7:00:48 PM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 18:45:09 -0400, "Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)"
<sea...@sgeinc.invalid.com> wrote:

>Galen wrote:
>> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 16:55:07 -0400, The Wanderer
>> <inverse...@comcast.net> wrote:

>>> There are ways around this with MPlayer, at least under Linux.
>> But this file only plays under WMP; nothing else.
>
> I ran into a similar problem with WMP which turned out to be
>rectifiable by unchecking a box on how it rendered things. Alas, I can't
>remember exactly what it was.

Disable Overlays.
Options Tools Advanced.
Be back shortly.

Galen

Jul 21, 2008, 7:39:57 PM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:00:48 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
wrote:

Now with screen captures!
http://galensattic.nekomimicon.net/PreCure/PreCureTOEI/

-Galen

Rob Kelk

Jul 21, 2008, 8:43:11 PM7/21/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:39:57 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:00:48 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
>wrote:

<snip>

>>Disable Overlays.
>>Options Tools Advanced.
>>Be back shortly.
>Now with screen captures!
>http://galensattic.nekomimicon.net/PreCure/PreCureTOEI/

They expect people to *pay* for something of that ... quality?

Dave Watson

Jul 21, 2008, 8:59:36 PM7/21/08
On Jul 21, 8:43 pm, robk...@deadspam.com (Rob Kelk) wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:39:57 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:
> >On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 19:00:48 -0400, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net>
> >wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >>Disable Overlays.
> >>Options Tools Advanced.
> >>Be back shortly.
> >Now with screen captures!
> >http://galensattic.nekomimicon.net/PreCure/PreCureTOEI/
>
> They expect people to *pay* for something of that ... quality?

Agreed. Toei America continues its fine tradition of being
incompetent enough to fuck up Minute Rice.

Watson.

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 22, 2008, 1:02:26 AM7/22/08
wrote:

>On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 07:43:38 -0700 (PDT), Dave Watson

><dwbeing...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Jul 19, 10:20 am, Galen <ga...@nekomimicon.net> wrote:

>>> PreCure episode 1 is 366 MB, wmv, english subtitled;
>>> it is downloading at 250 KB/sec (on a 700 KB/sec connection).

I got close to 600KB/sec. (20Mb/s connection.) Direct2Drive should
at least get credit for having a pretty speedy server. They however
get smacked for trying to get me to download using some sort of weird
gamespy client. Didn't end up needing it though.

>>A: Fuck DRM; my experience with getting some music that had that
>>garbage on it off a gift card has convinced me to never throw any of
>>my money at it.

Vista users take note: This file won't work with WMP11.

Well, at least it didn't on mine. S'okie. I keep an XP VM around for
just such occasions.

http://www.undrm.info/remove-DRM-protection/FairUse4WM-freeware-DRM-removal-Windows-software-Strip-copy-protection-from-WMV-ASF-WMA-Windows-Media-Player.htm

5 minutes later, I'd stripped the DRM off the file and sent it back to
my Vista HTPC.

>Playing on a Dual-core, LCD monitor.

QX6600, Acer 24" 1080P monitor. I can only hope this show looks
better on a tube. I retired my last one months ago, so I can't check.

>Media Player Classic won't attempt it.

MPClassic did a great job once I stripped the DRM. :-)

>Video size isn't given; looks like 512x384.

640x480.

>Windows Media Player has severe mouth teeth in the video;
>they totally botched the deinterlacing, to the extent that
>the video is worthless on this monitor.

Ya know, when I saw your screencaps, I just figured something wasn't
configured right. My apologies. They really did screw it up that
badly.

The thing is it looks like a bad capture from a bad analog source. If
I hadn't seen the digisubs from a couple of years ago, I'd have
assumed this was a cap from a third generation VHS fansub. I could
swear I saw NTSC scan lines in some of this video.

The worst of it is, that they had a better digital source than the
fansubbers did. When the screen isn't crawling with their laughable
attempt (or lack of an attempt?) at deinterlacing, there isn't any
serious macroblocking to speak of in the low-motion scenes, and the
colors and gradients were pretty solid and consistent. At least they
were when they weren't crawling with compression artifacts. I expect
to see a rainbow for the "Pretty Cure Marble Screw". I don't expect
to see it crawling up the sides of black linework.

Also, whoever did the encoding for this episode ran it trough an
unsharp-mask filter. And then a sharpen filter. With thresholds set
up WAY TOO HIGH. I can see the classic "halo" around the lines.

In short, the default settings for WMV encoding would have done a
better job. Someone had to DELIBERATLY screw this up. Given that
this is Toei, I think it's pretty obvious who screwed the pooch! :-(

>>B: If they do as horrible a job with subbing this as they did with
>>the DVDs of Air Master, Slam Dunk and Interlude that they excreted
>>here, then they can shove it right up their asses right next to those
>>DVDs.

>Credit for subtitles is Nippon Golden Network.

>Their approach to Nagisa's misuse of phrases is to include
>a note in the subtitle. The subtitles are large font, and some
>are mistimed by as much as a full second.

I'm not bothered by the subtitle timings. (But this is Pretty Cure
we're talking about. It's not exactly straining my Japanese language
skills.) The translations are reasonably accurate, if a bit stiff in
the translation. The translated script could have benefitted from an
editor.

Also, the AUDIO was horribly compressed. I could hear compression
artifacts, and there were several points where the audio either
dropped noticeably in volume, or actually CLIPPED.

Really, there was no excuse for the quality of this encode. Compared
to the BOSTTV release of "Tower of Druaga", this looks less than
amateurish, at twice the resolution, and twice the file size, with not
even half the quality.

I'm going to waste another $2 USD and grab a file from another
company. We'll see if this is a Toei issue, or a D2D issue.
--
Abraham Evangelista

Abraham Evangelista

Jul 22, 2008, 11:01:24 PM7/22/08
On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:02:26 GMT, Abraham Evangelista
<da...@verizon.net> wrote:

>I'm going to waste another $2 USD and grab a file from another
>company. We'll see if this is a Toei issue, or a D2D issue.

I didn't expect to be picked up and reposted to the ANN forums. I
really didn't expect to be insulted. Especially by an editor. Does
this mean I'm officially an internet drama queen?

And yes, for the record, my life is TOTALLY AWESOME. :-)

Back on topic.

Tried GITS:SAC Episode 1 from D2D. Video was crisp, audio was
consistent, without the sudden changes in volume or clipping. No
noticable macroblocking or compression artifacts. Heck, they even
included the Tachikomatic episode!

Seems to me like the video was specifically a Toei problem. Can't
really blame D2D for it, even if I wish they'd institute a little
quality control.
--
Abraham Evangelista

ender

Jul 24, 2008, 11:38:27 AM7/24/08
On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:46:09 -0400, Galen wrote:

> PrintScreen doesn't work because I only get a black box
> where the image was.

Try opening 2 media players, and open another video first, leave it playing
(it may also work if you pause it, but not always), then use the second
media player to open the botched video. PrintScreen should work (in the 2nd
media player) then.