CN/AS Ratings - November

1 view

Bodhi Woodstock

Dec 14, 2005, 9:21:42 PM12/14/05
Because it was asked last month and I hesitated.

CN -

Naruto continues to be one of the most watched shows on the network. It
placed #3 and #4 and a few other times on the top shows list.

Zatch Bell and One Piece are also doing good. Not Naruto good, but
they're definitely watched by a lot of people.

YGO GX is falling from grace. IGPX tanked and tanked HARD. Bobobo also
tanked.

In other CN ratings, the new Scooby Doo movie didn't do as well as
expected, Foster's Home is doing very well as is Teen Titans, and live
action movies were a huge success (Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the
most watched program all month).

AS -

Inuyasha is still the most watched anime.

The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

As for the rest of AS, The Boondocks did great, Family Guy took all top
10 slots, 12 Oz. Mouse and Stroker and Hoop both made comebacks. Robot
Chicken is on the decline.

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Dec 14, 2005, 9:31:43 PM12/14/05

"Bodhi Woodstock" <livingfr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> CN -
>
> Naruto continues to be one of the most watched shows on the network. It
> placed #3 and #4 and a few other times on the top shows list.

Yay!

> YGO GX is falling from grace.

No surprise there. "Get your game on"? More like get your LAME on...

> IGPX tanked and tanked HARD. Bobobo also
> tanked.

Imagine my shock.

I do feel kinda bad for Cartoon Network about IGPX though. They invested
what, six years and God only knows how much money in this thing, and it was
supposed to be their great big huge holy-cow opus...and nobody cares. That'd
take the wind out of anyone's sails.

> In other CN ratings, the new Scooby Doo movie didn't do as well as
> expected, Foster's Home is doing very well as is Teen Titans, and live
> action movies were a huge success (Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the
> most watched program all month).

I just hope they don't continue with the live-action movies thing. It was
fine for sweeps, but let's keep it to sweeps.... >.>

> The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

No surprise there.

> As for the rest of AS, The Boondocks did great, Family Guy took all top
> 10 slots, 12 Oz. Mouse and Stroker and Hoop both made comebacks. Robot
> Chicken is on the decline.

I'm amazed anyone watches 12 Oz. Mouse. I'm not surprised Boondocks did
well, but I am kind of wondering how Family Guy is pulling in consistent
catch-all ratings...sure, there's new episodes airing, but...

--
"I did battle with ignorance today...
...and ignorance won."

Jessica Bodenbender

Dec 15, 2005, 3:59:16 AM12/15/05
I can name at least 20 people that I know that watch Family Guy religiously
re-run or not. That's why it doesn't suprise me. ^_^

--
~~Signature starts here~~
In a world that don't know Romeo and Juliet

Lord Craxton

Dec 15, 2005, 2:25:36 PM12/15/05

"The Eternal Lost Lurker" <robot...@booyah.cyb.org> wrote in message

> "Bodhi Woodstock" <livingfr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > CN -
> >
> > Naruto continues to be one of the most watched shows on the network. It
> > placed #3 and #4 and a few other times on the top shows list.
>
> Yay!
>
> > YGO GX is falling from grace.
>
> No surprise there. "Get your game on"? More like get your LAME on...

I watch it when I get the chance, and it's okay. Breaking away from the
manga allows them to fix the original anime's two biggest problems:
overlong, padded-out plotlines and the ridiculously overblown dialogue that
was also a way of padding out the plotlines. Now, they still have some
trouble coming up with good stories, but they're improving. The
fight-of-the-day episodes move quickly and are generally interesting,
occasionally more so. The fight with the tomboy who played the Young Maiden
in Love was hilarious.

> > IGPX tanked and tanked HARD. Bobobo also
> > tanked.
>
> Imagine my shock.
>
> I do feel kinda bad for Cartoon Network about IGPX though. They invested
> what, six years and God only knows how much money in this thing, and it
was
> supposed to be their great big huge holy-cow opus...and nobody cares.
That'd
> take the wind out of anyone's sails.

I think IGPX is pretty interesting. Can't tell you why, I just like it. The
most common complaint against it seems to be that not much happens. This is
generally true, the race against Edgeraid was the only one with decent
action, but I like the character drama we get between the races. The strange
thing is, I probably shouldn't... the plotlines are genrally silly, cliche,
or silly cliches. For some reason, though, I think it works. It's very
low-key and realistic- these people behave like you'd expect real people to
behave in the same circumstances. By contrast, I think a lot of anime are
naturalistic- you'll get characters that go into super-deformed mode or
sweatdrop when nervous, and those are a visual representation of their state
of mind. IGPX seems to prefer telling it like it is, so to speak. Plus,
they've got great production values, including good music and one of the
best cast lists I've ever seen. I'll keep watching it as long as it airs.

-Lord Craxton

arnold kim

Dec 16, 2005, 1:37:42 AM12/16/05

"Bodhi Woodstock" <livingfr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In other CN ratings, the new Scooby Doo movie didn't do as well as

> expected, Foster's Home is doing very well as is Teen Titans, and live
> action movies were a huge success (Who Framed Roger Rabbit? was the
> most watched program all month).

I really, really hope that the last one there is not the sign of things to
come...

Arnold Kim

Lord Craxton

Dec 16, 2005, 7:11:58 PM12/16/05

"arnold kim" <arno...@optonline.net> wrote in message

Well, it's a good movie. And it has a good claim to being animated, unlike,
say, The Goonies...

-Lord Craxton

Bodhi Woodstock

Dec 17, 2005, 12:43:29 AM12/17/05

Lord Craxton wrote:

> Well, it's a good movie. And it has a good claim to being animated, unlike,
> say, The Goonies...
>
> -Lord Craxton

Honey I Shrunk the Kids got 12th place. The Goonies got somewhere in
the low 30s.

Ethan Hammond

Dec 17, 2005, 3:58:29 AM12/17/05
"Lord Craxton" <lord_c...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

When do they show these movies on CN?

--
All Purpose Culture Randomness
http://www.angelfire.com/tx/apcr/index.html

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 17, 2005, 5:46:17 AM12/17/05
16 Dec 2005 9:43pm-0800, Bodhi Woodstock <livingfr...@gmail.com>:

> Lord Craxton wrote:
> >
> > Well, it's a good movie. And it has a good claim to being animated, unlike,
> > say, The Goonies...
> >

> Honey I Shrunk the Kids got 12th place. The Goonies got somewhere in
> the low 30s.

An old but a classic kid flick.

Laters. =)

STan
--
_______ ________ _______ ____ ___ ___ ______ ______
| __|__ __| _ | \ | | | | _____| _____|
| ( _| | http://www.uofr.net/~lostrune/
\ ______| _______ ____ ___
/ \ / \ | _ | \ | |
/ \/ \| _ | |\ |
/___/\/\___|__| |__|___| \ ___|

S.t.A.n.L.e.E

Dec 17, 2005, 5:47:02 AM12/17/05
Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:58am-0000, Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net>:

Ya need to keep track of current events, like you used to!

Laters. =)

Stan

The Eternal Lost Lurker

Dec 17, 2005, 6:04:37 AM12/17/05

"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message

> > Honey I Shrunk the Kids got 12th place. The Goonies got somewhere in
> > the low 30s.
>
> An old but a classic kid flick.

I've always wanted to slide down the giant blade of grass from HIStK...

--
We wish you a Merry Christmas...
...now GIMME YOUR BEER!

~~*~~
The Eternal Lost Lurker

www.lurkerdrome.com

steve....@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2005, 4:21:26 PM12/17/05

Bodhi Woodstock wrote:

> Naruto continues to be one of the most watched shows on the network. It
> placed #3 and #4 and a few other times on the top shows list.

Just out of curiousity, and I'm not disputing any of what you're saying
about it doing very well by CN standards, but if Naruto is really doing
so well, why hasn't it been showing up in the weekly top 30 of any of
the juvenile Nielsen demographic splits since scratching the bottom of
the 9-14 list a couple of times in mid-September (when most shows were
still in reruns)?

Is Nickelodeon's dominance of the "Younger Viewers" categories so
strong that even the best performing shows on CN will be shut out of
the demographic split top 30s most weeks?

(N.B. I get my top 30 ratings info from Media Life Magazine's online
site @ http://medialifemagazine.com; most recent Younger Viewers
ratings lists:
http://medialifemagazine.com/artman/publish/article_1882.asp )

> The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be
another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
version in any great numbers?

Steve Brandon
Kiyone at tokyo dot com

Bodhi Woodstock

Dec 17, 2005, 10:37:52 PM12/17/05

steve....@gmail.com wrote:
> Just out of curiousity, and I'm not disputing any of what you're saying
> about it doing very well by CN standards, but if Naruto is really doing
> so well, why hasn't it been showing up in the weekly top 30 of any of
> the juvenile Nielsen demographic splits since scratching the bottom of
> the 9-14 list a couple of times in mid-September (when most shows were
> still in reruns)?

Because it's getting a mixture of kids, teens, and adults. Plus,
Nickelodeon usually dominates the juvenile demographics, and
Nickelodeon's total audience is almost double what CN's is. Nickelodeon
is almost always the #1 network on cable (I say almost because if
there's a big game or a natural disaster then ESPN or Fox News takes
#1). To further show how big Nickelodeon's audience is, they have more
adults watching them than Comedy Central, ABC Family, FX, and sometimes
MTV.

And just when it comes to kids, Nickelodeon's kid audience is double
that of CN's.

> Is Nickelodeon's dominance of the "Younger Viewers" categories so
> strong that even the best performing shows on CN will be shut out of
> the demographic split top 30s most weeks?

As mentioned above, it's EXTREMELY strong. Over 5 million kids age 2-14
tuned in to see the Spongebob episode "Have You Seen My Snail?" That's
about 12% of all kids in the USA that age.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be
> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

I'm surprised that project was greenlit.

Ethan Hammond

Dec 18, 2005, 3:42:35 AM12/18/05
"S.t.A.n.L.e.E" <LostRu...@UofR.SlamSpam.net> wrote in message
> Sat, 17 Dec 2005 8:58am-0000, Ethan Hammond <esha...@worldnet.att.net>:
>
>> When do they show these movies on CN?
>
> Ya need to keep track of current events, like you used to!

I be working too much, TOO MUCH!

Antonio E. Gonzalez

Dec 18, 2005, 9:52:39 AM12/18/05
On 17 Dec 2005 19:37:52 -0800, "Bodhi Woodstock"
<livingfr...@gmail.com> wrote:

>steve....@gmail.com wrote:
>> Just out of curiousity, and I'm not disputing any of what you're saying
>> about it doing very well by CN standards, but if Naruto is really doing
>> so well, why hasn't it been showing up in the weekly top 30 of any of
>> the juvenile Nielsen demographic splits since scratching the bottom of
>> the 9-14 list a couple of times in mid-September (when most shows were
>> still in reruns)?
>
>Because it's getting a mixture of kids, teens, and adults. Plus,
>Nickelodeon usually dominates the juvenile demographics, and
>Nickelodeon's total audience is almost double what CN's is. Nickelodeon
>is almost always the #1 network on cable (I say almost because if
>there's a big game or a natural disaster then ESPN or Fox News takes
>#1). To further show how big Nickelodeon's audience is, they have more
>adults watching them than Comedy Central, ABC Family, FX, and sometimes
>MTV.
>
>And just when it comes to kids, Nickelodeon's kid audience is double
>that of CN's.
>

>> Is Nickelodeon's dominance of the "Younger Viewers" categories so
>> strong that even the best performing shows on CN will be shut out of
>> the demographic split top 30s most weeks?
>
>As mentioned above, it's EXTREMELY strong. Over 5 million kids age 2-14
>tuned in to see the Spongebob episode "Have You Seen My Snail?" That's
>about 12% of all kids in the USA that age.

Well then . . .:

- How'd "Avatar:The Last Airbender" do?

- Where can I see a more detailed version of this? (the ratings
report)

- ReFlex76

- "Let's beat the terrorists with our most powerful weapon . . . hot
girl-on-girl action!"

- "The difference between young and old is the difference between
looking forward to your next birthday, and dreading it!"

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:43:04 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated
anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be
> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy
timeslot, it doesn't get any promotion on TV outside of [adult swim],
and half the anime fandom has seen the entire series at least once.

Y'know, maybe it would really REALLY help the anime series if [adult
swim] would get their heads out of their asses and PROMOTE the anime
series more often -- and avoid cross-promoting the comedy lineup during
the anime series. Why a promo for Stroker & Hoop is in the middle of a
good anime like FMA just boggles the mind. And not just commercials too
-- voiceovers during the EDs. Considering the EDs are shortened for
time anyway, why not have one of the voice actors reminding us during
the ED of the timeslot and what's coming up next, and any upcoming
schedule changes. They still do voiceovers during the EDs of the
dayside shows, why not the nightside.

- J

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:41:58 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated

anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be

> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:42:03 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated

anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be

> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:43:19 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated

anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be

> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:44:18 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated

anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be

> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy

Brakus JS

Jan 6, 2006, 11:44:23 PM1/6/06
steve....@gmail.com wrote:

> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.

Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated

anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
watching.

> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be

> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
> version in any great numbers?

No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy

Ethan Hammond

Jan 7, 2006, 11:41:05 PM1/7/06
"Brakus JS" <jere...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> steve....@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> > The rest of the anime fell a lot, and were even beaten or matched by 2
>> > AM and 2:30 AM weekday programs. FMA bested at #72, Champloo at #101,
>> > and Neon Genesis Evangelion at #109. No sign of Scryed.
>
> Even so. it is very good to see that FMA is *still* the highest-rated
> anime series on [adult swim]. It helps that the first-run FMA episodes
> have had the luxury of being in an early timeslot (11, 11:30, or
> midnight Eastern on the Saturday showings) when more people will be
> watching.

I wish it was GITS instead that was number one! I've got Robot Fever,
ROBOT FEVER!

>> Despite the recent ADV-fueled business magazine hype, could this be
>> another nail in the coffin of the Live-Action EVANGELION Movie project,
>> that even Adult Swim viewers don't seem to be tuning in to the animated
>> version in any great numbers?
>
> No. Mostly Eva gets the ratings it gets because it's in a lousy
> timeslot, it doesn't get any promotion on TV outside of [adult swim],
> and half the anime fandom has seen the entire series at least once.

I don't know about all that, Cowboy Bebops ratings actually kept
going up when it was repeated for years and years. Eva just dosen't
have the staying power, also the live action movie has been dead for
years, YEARS! Eva was a big deal for a few years, but the problem
with Eva was it mainly attracted casual anime fans while a lot of hardcore
fans kind of thought it was overrated, the casual fans have moved on
to the next big hype show and have long forgotten Eva. ADV should have
acted on making a live action Eva in 1999-2001.

Bill Martin

Jan 9, 2006, 7:09:14 PM1/9/06
Brakus JS <jere...@verizon.net> wrote:

Whoa... news server foul-up... unless you INTENDED to post this 8
times...

--
Am I a butterfly dreaming I'm a man, or am I a bowling ball dreaming I'm a
plate of sashimi. Never assume what you see and feel is real. - Doreen.