Watch (some) Japanese anime broadcasts live (sometimes)

Dave Baranyi

Sep 25, 2008, 5:36:16 PM9/25/08
A Japanese company is providing a shareware streaming TV viewing program
called "Keyhole TV" that is being used by a few Japanese broadcast TV
Stations to send out their regular programming to the web. Currently, TV
Tokyo, Nihon TV, TV Asahi and a few others are making use of this program,
which means that you can install this software and watch those channels
live, via a small screen with a fairly poor video quality. ("Keyhole" is a
very apt name for this software, because you aren't going to get a "Big
Screen Feeling" with this.)

I've installed "Keyhole" TV and sure enough, the usual Japanese TV
broadcasting is available. For me, that's at a 13 hour time difference,
which means that I'm not usually around when most anime are shown, but I
have caught the last couple minutes of a few.

Oddly enough, a Swiss TV channel is also using this system, as is CNBC (for
whatever reason) and a couple of Japanese radio stations.

As far as I can tell, there wasn't any spyware or malware associated with
the download and installation of "Keyhole". There also doesn't appear to be
any way to record off of the broadcasts, but I suppose some skilled-enough
programmer could probably figure out a way, but I'm not sure why anyone
would bother since the quality is pretty bad.

In any event, if you have never watched Japanese TV, it's worthwhile
installing Keyhole TV just to see what you are "missing". If you have seen
Japanese TV, you will already know why no one will spend much time on this,
other then if they can time themselves to be around for anime broadcasts.

And of course, you will be limited to those anime series that are being
broadcast on the channels that are available. Those channels appear to
change from time-to-time, and I suspect that this service may eventually be
overrun with Japanese Shopping Channels, but it's still interesting to "drop
in" on Japanese TV from time-to-time.

The English language website for Keyhole TV, and the other programs from
Cognitive Research is at:

http://www.v2p.jp/video/english/index.html

BTW - the instruction manual is in Japanese, but the control buttons on
Keyhole TV are in English.

Dave Baranyi

Dave Baranyi

Sep 25, 2008, 5:44:54 PM9/25/08

"Dave Baranyi" <a_nospam.b_nospam@sym_nos_p_am_atico.ca> wrote in message

As an addendum - I am currently watching some variation on "Chi's Sweet
Home" on TV Tokyo that has videos of cats that were sent in by viewers, and
the videos have "Chi" commenting over them. Now there are ads for "Chi"
dolls. Ooops, now for some Rika-chan doll, and now for some OL playing a
"Chi" game on the DS.

Time to get back to Real Life and get changed for an Evening of Business
Dining (and it's the Missus's business too, so I have to be on Good
Behavior).

Dave Baranyi