Remember what might have been

Iskandar Taib

Mar 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/25/96
In article <4j1bdg$h...@its.hooked.net>, Steven Myers <smy...@hooked.net> wrote:

>Personally, I think the voices are universally superior in the NA version.
>Particularly among the female voices--the Japanese VAs sound like they're
>from the harem of Alvin the Chipmunk. It's a hideous, monstrously bad
>sound. I know not whether they are better voice actors, not speaking
>Japanese, but they're voices are truly hideous.

Hideous???

I disagree. While the NA VA's do a fairly competent job, nothing
matches the original Japanese seiyuu. Mitsuishi Kotono's Usagi is far
better than the American one. She gets Usagi's character across much
better.

Luna's NA voice is really out of place. They'd probably have to make
major changes to the S movie or people will be laughing their heads
off at Luna asking Usagi about how kisses taste..

Iskandar Taib | The only thing worse than Peach ala
Internet: nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu | Frog is Frog ala Peach
Home page: http://bigwig.geology.indiana.edu/iskandar/isk2.html

Rob (Rol) Virata

Mar 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/26/96
Iskandar Taib (nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu) wrote:

: In article <4j1bdg$h...@its.hooked.net>, Steven Myers <smy...@hooked.net> wrote:

: >Personally, I think the voices are universally superior in the NA version.
: >Particularly among the female voices--the Japanese VAs sound like they're
: >from the harem of Alvin the Chipmunk. It's a hideous, monstrously bad
: >sound. I know not whether they are better voice actors, not speaking
: >Japanese, but they're voices are truly hideous.

OKAY, I am seriously going to keep control here. All joking aside, I
ahve wached both versions and I also find the japanese voices better than
the americans. Usagi (That's SAilor Moon) was supposed to have a voice
that was funny. The thing that really scares me is that you might think
the voices are hideous just because they ARE japanese and not english.
Tell me I'm wrong about that, will ya!
Rol

:

SailorLouny

Mar 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/30/96
Regarding voices.....I just recently saw the japanese version of Crystal Clear
Destiny. I was horrified at the japanese voices. Hearing Serena wail in her
Canadian voice gets the 14 yr old age across, but Serena in the japanese
version makes her sound like a spineless infatuated little 8 year old. She
sounds way too like Hikaru (KOR). I've noticed that the Japanese have
something for little girls. Marmalade Boy's Miki and Meiko on the other hand
have voices that are much more believable.

And sheesh, what were they thinking when they cast Luna's voice????? ^_^;;;

SailorLouny

Your Real Name

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96

ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
The question is, what was DIC thinking when they cast Luna's
US voice? Luna is young, not old, and if I was a male, then I
would have to say that Luna is a babe in human form. She's NOT
a crusty, dried up old prune, contrary to many people's beliefs.
Plus you must consider the fact that Sailor Moon is aimed at young
girls, under 10. Besides, Tracey Moore sounds like a brain dead,
mentally retarded, airheaded, whiny, annoying little 6 year old
brat, which is worse than your opinion of Usagi's Japanese voice.

As you can tell, I'm plenty PO'ed right now. I have no idea why
either.

Jackie/ASSW

Matsuura-kun

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:

>ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
>great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
>but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
>are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
>Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
>saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?

And you think Japanese don't think some of the voices make them
sound "valley-girlish" to them? Japanese do think using American slangs
are cool as well. That's why you they have so many pop groups with
English names and use English in their everyday conversation... you'll be
able to catch them in manga and some anime...

=
Lawrence Wan |Brown Japanese Culture Association Anime Coordinator
PO Box 3054 | (favourites)
Brown University | *MarmaladeBoy*MI*KOR*AMG*VGAi*FushigiYugi*GreenWood
Providence, RI 02912| *Laputa*Nausicaa*MimiOSuseba*UmiGaKikoeru*Totoro
tel. (401) 863-6884 | *Gundam*Macross*Lodoss*LoGH*GITS*Gunnm*Jubei*WoH
=

Your Real Name

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
Matsuura-kun <Y...@brown.edu> wrote:

> Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
> >
> >ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
> >great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
> >but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
> >are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
> >Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
> >saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
>
> And you think Japanese don't think some of the voices make them
> sound "valley-girlish" to them? Japanese do think using American slangs
> are cool as well. That's why you they have so many pop groups with
> English names and use English in their everyday conversation... you'll be
> able to catch them in manga and some anime...

I never said that the Japanese don't do that either. I'm sure that
they do do that. God knows that every other country has these dumb
images of the 'typical' all American person. Either a 'valley
girl' or a New Yorker....And usually always a blond haired, blue
eyed person.

*WARNING*
If you don't like people who are always fighting for equal race
rights, then skip this part. Here are how the US portrays peoples:
'Typical' Asians- glasses, geeky, and a 'brainiac.'
'Typical' Africans- I wonder why they usually always have them
portryed as low class people from the ghettos. 'Typical'
Native Americans- deeply rooted to their homeland and always saying
'how' and stuff. 'Typical' Latinos- also low class persons.
Sigh. I don't like stereotypes even though I probably have some
now and then. Heck, I even live up to the stereotypes too.

Anyway, I'm over that now, and I'm going on with the rest of the
newgroup.

Jackie/ASSW
I need to get out more often.

SailorLouny

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jkpeh$r...@grouper.Exis.Net>, user...@exis.net says...

>ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
>great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
>but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
>are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
>Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
>saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
>The question is, what was DIC thinking when they cast Luna's
>US voice? Luna is young, not old, and if I was a male, then I
>would have to say that Luna is a babe in human form. She's NOT
>a crusty, dried up old prune, contrary to many people's beliefs.
>Plus you must consider the fact that Sailor Moon is aimed at young
>girls, under 10. Besides, Tracey Moore sounds like a brain dead,
>mentally retarded, airheaded, whiny, annoying little 6 year old
>brat, which is worse than your opinion of Usagi's Japanese voice.
>
>As you can tell, I'm plenty PO'ed right now. I have no idea why
>either.
>
>Jackie/ASSW

Dear PO'd

I happen to be very Asian (Chinese) miss know it all. And I've never heard an
Asian oversqueal in as annoying and as high decibles as the overacted Japanese
SM.

Luna in US does NOT sound like a crusty dried up old prune. She's sounds wise
and knowledgable. Like someone who knows who she knows what she's talking
about and trustworthy when you ask her about something as important as the
silver crystal. Perhaps you haven't heard the episodes with Terri Hawkes as
SM. She sounds quite pleasantly 14 yr oldish, not as whiny as Japanese SM.
In fact, I found her voice so grating that I walked out on the Animefest
(whereas I usually gobble up any SM I can find, but she was just *way* too
annoying).

But that's ok. I'm sure we could start a whole war about this voice thing and
I'm sure one could find plenty of supporters for each side. You're entitled
to your opinion....but you don't need to be so fucking rude.

have a nice day! ^_^

SailorLouny

Antaeus Feldspar

Mar 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM3/31/96
In article <4jkufc$t...@grouper.exis.net>,

Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
>Matsuura-kun <Y...@brown.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
>> >
>> >ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
>> >great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
>> >but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
>> >are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
>> >Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
>> >saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
>>
>> And you think Japanese don't think some of the voices make them
>> sound "valley-girlish" to them? Japanese do think using American slangs
>> are cool as well. That's why you they have so many pop groups with
>> English names and use English in their everyday conversation... you'll be
>> able to catch them in manga and some anime...
>>
>I never said that the Japanese don't do that either. I'm sure that
>they do do that. God knows that every other country has these dumb
>images of the 'typical' all American person. Either a 'valley
>girl' or a New Yorker....And usually always a blond haired, blue
>eyed person.
>
>*WARNING*
>If you don't like people who are always fighting for equal race
>rights, then skip this part. Here are how the US portrays peoples:

Hey, I like people who are always fighting for equal race
relations. I don't like people who do it like you, by stereotyping all
US citizens. Get a life.

>'Typical' Asians- glasses, geeky, and a 'brainiac.'
>'Typical' Africans- I wonder why they usually always have them
>portryed as low class people from the ghettos. 'Typical'
>Native Americans- deeply rooted to their homeland and always saying
>'how' and stuff. 'Typical' Latinos- also low class persons.
>Sigh. I don't like stereotypes even though I probably have some
>now and then. Heck, I even live up to the stereotypes too.

You even spread some more. How condescending and rude can you
get? You piss me off, man.

Your Real Name

Apr 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/1/96

Good for me. Are you a minority? Do you have to put up with constant
racist or discriminatory remarks? I do.

> You even spread some more. How condescending and rude can you
> get? You piss me off, man.

What are you talking about? I said 'Warning' and told people who
don't like that stuff to skip it. Obviously, you didn't take my
own advice and are blaming me for your stupidity. I wasn't that
rude. I was just stating the stereotypes I see and hear. Are
you saying that what I have said is untrue?

Tim Borreson

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
In article <4jkr79$r...@cocoa.brown.edu>, Matsuura-kun <Y...@brown.edu> wrote:

> Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
> >
> >ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
> >great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
> >but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
> >are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
> >Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
> >saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
>
> And you think Japanese don't think some of the voices make them
> sound "valley-girlish" to them? Japanese do think using American slangs
> are cool as well. That's why you they have so many pop groups with
> English names and use English in their everyday conversation... you'll be
> able to catch them in manga and some anime...

Heehee, not to mention that most of the Senshi's attacks have rather
English sounding names... although, whew, was I ever glad to hear that
Artemis' Japanese voice wasn't much like that psycho-annoying-stupid DIC
one. (Er, we are talking about Sailor Moon, right? Well, if not, that'll
teach you to crosspost!)

--
Tim Borreson
Computer Science Student - University of Lethbridge

SM QOTD: "I'm not jealous, I'm deeply concerned!"

Michael Ng

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
Yeah.. Agree... I like the Japanese voices, although they sound like
*VERY* young. I suppose that is a "feature" in Japanese - Soft tone. It
sounds good to me.

Luna's voice.. ha..Ha.. I guess NegaDic people have never heard that Luna
will be a human.. If we didn't know that Luna transforms into a human,
we might not feel uncomfortable w. her *OLD* voice. Sometimes, she
sounds like an old grandmom who teaches Usagi things..

----------------

[...]

------------------------------------
My few wishes this month:
I can have another 3 wishes
------------------------------------

Your Real Name

Apr 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/2/96
bort...@cs.uleth.ca (Tim Borreson) wrote:

> In article <4jkr79$r...@cocoa.brown.edu>, Matsuura-kun <Y...@brown.edu> wrote:
>
> > Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
> > >
> > >ARe you CRAZY??? LOONY??? INSANE??? The Japanese voices are
> > >great. True, they don't have the variety that the US version has,
> > >but like I've said, we have more different types of people. Besides,
> > >are you partially basing your opinion on the fact that they are
> > >Japanese and you aren't, you can't understand a word they are
> > >saying, and the fact that you don't know a damn thing about Asians?
> >
> > And you think Japanese don't think some of the voices make them
> > sound "valley-girlish" to them? Japanese do think using American slangs
> > are cool as well. That's why you they have so many pop groups with
> > English names and use English in their everyday conversation... you'll be
> > able to catch them in manga and some anime...
>
> Heehee, not to mention that most of the Senshi's attacks have rather
> English sounding names... although, whew, was I ever glad to hear that
> Artemis' Japanese voice wasn't much like that psycho-annoying-stupid DIC
> one. (Er, we are talking about Sailor Moon, right? Well, if not, that'll
> teach you to crosspost!)

I thought that Artemis's voice is pretty good. I mean the one that
is the regular one, and not the one used in Sailor V Makes the
Scene and A Crystal Clear Destiny. That one's screwy.

Jackie/ASSW

Brad Lascelle

Apr 3, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/3/96
Jackie/ASSW Writes:

> I thought that Artemis's voice is pretty good. I mean the one that
> is the regular one, and not the one used in Sailor V Makes the
> Scene and A Crystal Clear Destiny. That one's screwy.

Well, I prefer Art's Japanese voice myself, however I just thought
I'd mention that the same VA did Art's voice for the entire first-season
run. Sure, he sounded a heck of a lot different back in 'Sailor V Makes
The Scene' and 'A Crystal Clear Destiny' than he does later on in the
translated SMR-arc, however it's still the same guy.

My best guess is that we wasn't as familiar to the Rhythmoband
voiceover method as the more professional VAs and took longer to adjust...
or maybe he just had a sore throat or something. :)

_____ ____ _____
/ ____|/ __ \ / ____| | Brad Lascelle |
| (___ | | | | (___ | blas...@chat.carleton.ca | 2418 Signatures
\___ \| | | |\___ \ | cq...@freenet.carleton.ca | Received To Date!
____) | |__| |____) | | |
|___ave \___ur|___ailors! | -- SOS Campaign Day 13 -- | Sign Up Today!

SOS Headquarters: http://looney.physics.sunysb.edu/~daffy/sos/index.html

Iskandar Taib

Apr 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/4/96
In article <1996Apr2.1...@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>,
Tim Browne <ue...@freenet.Victoria.BC.CA> wrote:

>In a previous article, lc...@watt.seas.virginia.edu (SailorLouny) says:
>
>>Dear PO'd

>>Luna in US does NOT sound like a crusty dried up old prune. She's sounds wise
>>and knowledgable. Like someone who knows who she knows what she's talking
>>about and trustworthy when you ask her about something as important as the
>>silver crystal.
>
>Sorry to disagree, but she does indeed sound like a shrivelled up old prune.
>As for being knowledgeable about the Silver Crystal etc., she only needs to
>fit 2 criteria: 1) she needs to have prior knowledge of the Silver Crystal,
>which, for arguments sake, she might learn about in her position as guardian
>of the royal court, and 2) she has to remember what she knew after her
>travel through time/ressurrection. Luna fits both of those criteria, whether
>she sounds like a school marm or not.

They're going to have serious trouble with Luna's voice when time
comes to do the S movie ^O^

Of course, they'll probably macekerize it..

Chi Ming Cheung

Apr 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/5/96
In article <4jp3d1$l...@grouper.Exis.Net>,

Your Real Name <user...@exis.net> wrote:
[deleted]

>Good for me. Are you a minority? Do you have to put up with constant
>racist or discriminatory remarks? I do.
[deleted]
Hi Jackie, I am a Chinese just like you. Yes, I have to put up with that
constantly. In fact, the reason why I have been so active in this group
recently, is because I recently was forced to deal with this at work, and
participation in this group is an escape for me.

Few words of advice:
(1) It does not get easier as you get older. In fact, it gets worse, because
now I am convinced that it won't just go away.
(2) If you were to voice your discomfort about this in public, a significant
portion of the population will point out to you that you are so much better
off than, say the African Americans. In fact, if you were to speak out, it
will work against you. So, I advice you not to talk about this unless you
are willing to get very angry, and be labelled as a whiner.

Why will you get angry? Not only are you angry about being slighted, but you
have to JUSTIFY your anger. Of course, that will not make you angrier when a
significant portion of the people around you dismiss your complaints.

After saying all this, I am going to be unfair by saying that discussions like
this should be moved to soc.culture.asian.american. Let's keep Crystal Tokyto
a naive, but romantic place in which good ALWAYS triumph over evil, and the
most serious conflict in this newsgroup involves my over-analyzing someone's
SM quote. :-) (Sorry Tuxedo Mask ;P.)

--Ming

Iskandar Taib

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <4k1pok$o...@dfw-ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>,
Chris Bunag <chri...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>In <4k1kog$7...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu

>(Iskandar Taib) writes:
>>
>>They're going to have serious trouble with Luna's voice when time
>>comes to do the S movie ^O^
>
>They could always say something like, "When I'm in cat form, I have an
>old lady voice, but when I'm a person, I'm young." That wouldn't be
>*too* bad.

Except that, when she asks Usagi what a kiss tasted like, she's in her
cat form still ^o^

>>Of course, they'll probably macekerize it..

> ^^^^^^^^^^
>Is that supposed to be massacre-ize?

Another form I've seen is "Maceker".

I pronounce "Macek" as "Mah-check" (I suppose so do the Slovaks or the
Czechs.. ^o^) so "Macekerize" sounds right to me. Though, really, REAL
Macekerization involves the munging together of two or more totally
unrelated shows into one.

Macekerization isn't new. I've read that the account of Noah's
adventures in Genesis is a very early example of Macekerization - its
based on two entirely different texts (one was called the "Yahvist"
version and the other the "Elohist" version, because one refers to God
as "Yahweh", the other as "Elohim"), with verses from each text
alternating with each other. Try reading it this way and you'll see it
makes more sense..

Your Real Name

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
c...@cs.utexas.edu (Chi Ming Cheung) wrote:

Thanks. I was in a bad mood when I wrote that. I know that I gotta
deal with this kind of stuff later on in life. I believe 100% in
what I wrote, but I admit I went overboard and might have been
insulting. Oh well. I know I'm great(:) and that's what counts.
(Notice arrogance here????)

Jackie/ASSW
April 17 is near!!!! Celebrate!!

Michael Ng

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
Jackie,

Just curious. What makes April 17 so important? If that's your
birthday, then it is good for you. You are a year closer to your
college life.
-
Michael

Your Real Name

Your Real Name

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
sy...@flan.engr.ucdavis.edu (Michael Ng) wrote:

> Jackie,
>
> Just curious. What makes April 17 so important? If that's your
> birthday, then it is good for you. You are a year closer to your
> college life.
> -
> Michael

It's Mars's birthday! Whoo hoo!

Jackie/ASSW

Ishmael DF

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
In article <4kooha$i...@mark.ucdavis.edu>, sy...@flan.engr.ucdavis.edu
(Michael Ng) writes:

>Just curious. What makes April 17 so important? If that's your
>birthday, then it is good for you. You are a year closer to your
>college life.

Hino Rei's birthday! I think we should all take out are most Rei
like friend for a movie, then get into a "tongue duel" with them...
Ishmael DF

Chi Ming Cheung

Apr 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/15/96
In article <4ka2n0$5...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>,

Iskandar Taib <nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu> wrote:
>In article <4k1pok$o...@dfw-ixnews2.ix.netcom.com>,
>Chris Bunag <chri...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>>In <4k1kog$7...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu> nt...@silver.ucs.indiana.edu
>>(Iskandar Taib) writes:
[deleted]

>>They could always say something like, "When I'm in cat form, I have an
>>old lady voice, but when I'm a person, I'm young." That wouldn't be
>>*too* bad.
[deleted]
Try this instead:
Luna: I am 60 years old, but that is in cat years. This corresponds to 20
in human years. This is the reason why my voice sounds old as a cat, but
young as a human being.

(I know 1 human years = 7 dog years, I wonder what is the conversion rate for
cats? Hmm.)

--Ming