Stick a fork in the Powerpuff Girls?

Ronald D Bauerle

Nov 27, 2003, 12:35:53 AM11/27/03
to rdba...@juno.com
Does that "City of Clipsville" episode last night indicate they're done,
beyond the general poor quality of the last several months?
(the "thawed caveman" first episode being a prime example IMHO).

Assuming all of the flashbacks in that episode were legit, I'm not sorry
I missed the "PPs as ditzy teenagers", or "Professor marries Miss Bellum"
ones :^(

Ron

Derek Janssen

Nov 27, 2003, 6:13:58 AM11/27/03
Ronald D Bauerle wrote:

> Does that "City of Clipsville" episode last night indicate they're done,
> beyond the general poor quality of the last several months?
> (the "thawed caveman" first episode being a prime example IMHO).

So....they still kept making new episodes after the Movie, then? 0_o??

Derek Janssen
dja...@rcn.com

Terrence Briggs

Nov 27, 2003, 7:55:40 AM11/27/03
Ronald D Bauerle <rdba...@juno.com> wrote in message news:<20031127.003813.-1...@juno.com>...

> Does that "City of Clipsville" episode last night indicate they're done,
> beyond the general poor quality of the last several months?
> (the "thawed caveman" first episode being a prime example IMHO).

Maybe Google Groups won't beat DJanssen to the punch, but at any
rate...

When exactly do you believe Powerpuff Girls jumped the shark?
Personally, I thought the show's been hanging by a thread since the
second season, but is this the year Tartovsky pulls a Jhonen Vasquez
and saves his inspiration for Sam Jack and Clone Wars? It'd be as
good an excuse as any.

Your movie flops, your ratings dip a little, and your newer projects
are arguably as popular as your earlier children were. After, what?,
100+ shorts, shouldn't we expect a little... sagging?

Of course, if jumping the shark meant the end of EVERY good show, we'd
never see episode 20 of Batman: TAS.

<snip>

> Ron

Terrence Briggs, thinking Gargoyles World Tour, for some reason
Peace to you...

Dave Van Domelen

Nov 27, 2003, 3:21:37 PM11/27/03
No, the joke was that after the first two or so, the clips were bogus.
A good way to use ideas they'd had but abandoned as being unable to support
an episode...yet good for a chuckle.

Dave Van Domelen, remember that time....

tungstorm!

Nov 29, 2003, 12:16:31 AM11/29/03
"Pulls a Jhonen Vasquez"? Is there another TV project besides Zim that he's
working on now?
--
http://gerbenti.com - high fashion humor
"Terrence Briggs" <mrm...@peopleweb.com> wrote in message

Franklin Harris

Nov 29, 2003, 8:12:22 AM11/29/03

"tungstorm!" <h...@haha.com> wrote in message

> "Pulls a Jhonen Vasquez"? Is there another TV project besides Zim that
he's
> working on now?

No. JV's experience working for Nickelodeon seems to have put him off
working in TV animation.

--
Franklin Harris
Pulp Culture Online, www.pulpculture.net

Terrence Briggs

Nov 29, 2003, 10:34:20 PM11/29/03
"Franklin Harris" <fran...@pulpculture.nospam.net> wrote in message news:<vsh6qvc...@corp.supernews.com>...

> "tungstorm!" <h...@haha.com> wrote in message
> > "Pulls a Jhonen Vasquez"? Is there another TV project besides Zim that
> he's
> > working on now?
>
> No. JV's experience working for Nickelodeon seems to have put him off
> working in TV animation.

I meant to imply that being creatively "spent", one might want to move
on to other projects. In Jhonen's case, dude probably didn't want to
do another animated project, but a comic book or something.

But yeah, Tartovsky hasn't given up on animation, even if he might be
"pulling a David E Kelley" by juggling several projects at once,
letting a few older successes wither in the process.

Terrence Briggs
Peace to you...

Jhonen V

Dec 6, 2003, 10:49:34 AM12/6/03
I wouldn't say "creatively spent" so much as sick to death of not
being able to bludgeon a child with a hammer on screen. It's sort of
a sick thing to say but when I got the call telling me the show was
cancelled, I was probably the happiest person on the planet, and
immediately went to an amusement park with some friends. Gave me time
to actually watch cartoons again. ZIM was my baby, but man was it a
relief to see that baby get a bullet in the head. What parent can't
relate?! Anyone? Anyone?

I love animation, but children's animation is just definitely not on
my list of things to try again. I dig plenty of so called "kids'
shows" (Tartovsky's included) out there, but I have no interest in
making another one by this point, which doesn't mean I would stay
away from animation altogether. It has, however, made me feel in no
hurry to get back into it. Since ZIM ended, I've been contacted by a
few other studios and networks, but it's usually a younger crowd
they're trying to reach so I say thanks but no thanks. Kids get
enough attention as it is. I have to admit, when people would tell me
their kids would actually cover their eyes or run screaming from some
scene in INVADER ZIM, I was so fuckin' proud. That's not the kind of
guy you want creating a show sandwiched between Rocket Powered and
Fairly Oddparents.

Tartovsky's a pretty serious animation guy from the world of
animation. Me? I made an animated show and almost killed myself
doing it, but it's not really where I'm from. I had the chance, and
went for it. I'd nearly kill myself again, but I would have to be way
more careful about where and how I do it.

Jhonen V