Anime in the USA

Michael Hirtes

Mar 27, 2003, 1:14:57 PM3/27/03
No, that's not some filked up version of the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in
the UK". It's a recent Japanese article about gaijins who can't get
enough "Vitamin H".

Japanese fans wanting anime that's been dubbed in the US? Carl Macek
must have a smug grin on right now. <g>

http://mdn.mainichi.co.jp/waiwai/0303/0327anime.html

Americans get Spirited Away
with Japanese erotic anime

By Ryann Connell
Staff Writer

March 27, 2003

(Compiled by Masuo Kamiyama)
The enormous success of Academy Award winning cartoon feature "Spirited
Away" has focused the world's attention on Japanese cartoons. But people
may have ended up taking a little bit too much notice, if Shukan Jitsuwa
(4/10) is anything to go by.

"Japanese erotic anime is huge in the States. It's almost grossly
obscene, realistic portrayal of genitals is really popular," an anime
commentator tells Shukan Jitsuwa.

The men's weekly notes that erotic cartoons usually revolve around men's
vivid imaginations about virtual sex, such as the typical storyline of
an innocent young girl violated by an alien from outer space.

Like dirty movies, erotic anime makers apply a mosaic graphic over the
nether regions for works sold or distributed within Japan. But the
mosaic is removed when the movies are sent to the U.S., providing
viewers with hardcore, unadulterated nudity.

"What's most surprising about watching the uncensored versions is just
how much detail the animators have put into drawing the private parts
even though they know that the areas are going to be blurred out by the
mosaic," the commentator tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Erotic anime freaks
drool at the idea of seeing uncensored versions."

And now they can.

"I imported some of the anime from the United States. They're a hit," an
underground video retailer from Tokyo tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "All I need
to do is put a sign on the door saying I've got underground anime for
sale and people flood in. They're all interested in having a look at the
unblemished versions, so they'll buy them off me."

Shukan Jitsuwa proceeds to give a graphic description of "Stepmothers,"
an erotic anime sent uncensored to the United States and then brought
back to Japan. "Stepmothers" tells the story of a testosterone-packed
young man who sneaks up on his young stepmother as she sleeps and
molests her with a weapon in scenes the weekly says "are more realistic
than reality."

Erotic anime in their natural state appear destined for a bright future
in their homeland.

"Overseas Internet sites offering games revolving around erotic anime
are the latest fad. Of course, these games are available in Japan, too,"
an erotic anime game scenario writer tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Japan's
anime is being watched all over the world, both in the mainstream and in
the underground."

And you just GOTTA love the comments that www.fark.com has been saying
about it:

http://forums.fark.com/cgi/fark/comments.pl?IDLink=481326

Warewolf

Mar 28, 2003, 12:10:28 PM3/28/03
Michael Hirtes <mhi...@SPAMMERS.SUCK.com> wrote in news:mhirtes-
45DFD0.121...@news.central.cox.net:

> No, that's not some filked up version of the Sex Pistols' "Anarchy in
> the UK". It's a recent Japanese article about gaijins who can't get
> enough "Vitamin H".

They really have more depth than 'Batman:TAS', eh? :)

> (Compiled by Masuo Kamiyama)
> The enormous success of Academy Award winning cartoon feature "Spirited
> Away" has focused the world's attention on Japanese cartoons. But people
> may have ended up taking a little bit too much notice, if Shukan Jitsuwa
> (4/10) is anything to go by.
>
> "Japanese erotic anime is huge in the States. It's almost grossly
> obscene, realistic portrayal of genitals is really popular," an anime
> commentator tells Shukan Jitsuwa.

I prefer some plot with my 'pussy', thank you very much. :)

(Excuse my language) {:^)

> The men's weekly notes that erotic cartoons usually revolve around men's
> vivid imaginations about virtual sex, such as the typical storyline of
> an innocent young girl violated by an alien from outer space.

*snore*

Gimme a 'softer-core' vision with some imagination any day. :)

Everyone has different interpretations of the term, 'erotic' and I don't
think mine involve 50 tentacle-based sequels to 'Overfiend'. }X^Ţ

> Like dirty movies, erotic anime makers apply a mosaic graphic over the
> nether regions for works sold or distributed within Japan. But the
> mosaic is removed when the movies are sent to the U.S., providing
> viewers with hardcore, unadulterated nudity.

Nothing wrong with that (in moderation, of course) :)

> "What's most surprising about watching the uncensored versions is just
> how much detail the animators have put into drawing the private parts
> even though they know that the areas are going to be blurred out by the
> mosaic,"

Add a ratings cap and they'll hide some snickers bars underneath. :)

I believe the same thing happened with 'Batman' and 'Family Guy' and look
how they turned out. :)

> the commentator tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Erotic anime freaks
> drool at the idea of seeing uncensored versions."
>
> And now they can.

At least, in the US. I don't think you can import them into Canada,
particularly with the war going on. :(

I once tried to import a couple of films a director gave me as a 'thank
you' gift (I built a web site for him) and they got stopped at the border
because one of them had a bondage scene. It took a bit of trickery on the
second try to bring them in, but they were more than worth it. :)

Maybe I'll have better luck with a copy of 'Wicked City'. *shrug*

> "I imported some of the anime from the United States. They're a hit," an
> underground video retailer from Tokyo tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "All I need
> to do is put a sign on the door saying I've got underground anime for
> sale and people flood in. They're all interested in having a look at the
> unblemished versions, so they'll buy them off me."

<ribald plot description snipped>

> Erotic anime in their natural state appear destined for a bright future
> in their homeland.

Let's hope imaginative series like 'Zenki' are next. :)

> "Overseas Internet sites offering games revolving around erotic anime
> are the latest fad.

Some of which you'll find reviewed at

http://www.somethingawful.com :)

> Of course, these games are available in Japan, too,"
> an erotic anime game scenario writer tells Shukan Jitsuwa. "Japan's
> anime is being watched all over the world, both in the mainstream and in
> the underground."
>
> And you just GOTTA love the comments that www.fark.com has been saying
> about it:

I'll check it later.

While all this sounds promising, I'm starting to wonder if the various
'adult genre' will add another rut for the medium to fall into. As I said,
before, I like 'eye candy', but there's also something to be said for a
plot and timing. Unless there's some imagination in the characters the
actors/animators depict or the costumes/bodypaint they (temporarily) wear,
I don't think I'm going to enjoy 2 hours of straight sex. :^Ţ

It's just not my thing.

Signed,
Warewolf at Large