A gazillion vintage transistors for sale on Ebay

Skip to the first unread message

(0) -^- (0)

28 Nov 2004, 02:09:2128/11/2004
Well, I hope Watson didn't beat me to posting this. Check out this
auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=932&item=2289228088

Even if you are not a transistor collector, it is still pretty neat
seeing that many early transistors. Wowzers...yes indeed..wowzers!
Ok..it is not a gazillion but sure is a bunch. Very Cool. Should
bring a monster final bid!

Check out the sellers other auctions too. Other old transistor and
electronic coolness. Aparently he is auctioning off some of the late
Dr. Louis E. Garner's estate. - The Semiconductor editor for Popular
Electronics.

Better than a grilled cheese sandwich..that is for sure.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

28 Nov 2004, 03:23:5228/11/2004

"(0) -^- (0)" <transist...@REMOVEkc.rrTHISTOREPLY.com> wrote in
message news:41a979dd...@news-server.kc.rr.com...

Listed in an inappropropriate category, 'transistor radios'. Sellers
are Sooo stupid, they could make a lot more money if they didn't do such
stupid things.

The packaging and provenance is worth much, much more than the
transistors. They're mostly germanium, and not really that old. But
useful for guitar FX and fuzzboxes. ;-)

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

28 Nov 2004, 05:13:0928/11/2004

"(0) -^- (0)" <transist...@REMOVEkc.rrTHISTOREPLY.com> wrote in
message news:41a979dd...@news-server.kc.rr.com...

Speaking of Workman.. Does anyone remember the 99Power?

A low grade TO-3 germanium power transistor for only 99 cents.

Stevie

28 Nov 2004, 06:20:5928/11/2004

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOS...@dslextreme.com>
wrote in message news:10qj2nl...@corp.supernews.com...

I can't begin to tell U how many of these things I threw away over the
Years...!

Jim Douglas

28 Nov 2004, 07:53:2328/11/2004
Would the purchaser actually use these? Are they collectable? Why would you
have to have them?

Not that I am going to buy but have seen these before for nothing? Next time
I am buying everything that looks like junk, now where to put it............

Lou deGonzague

28 Nov 2004, 08:47:2228/11/2004
You would use them to repair old transistor radios and Hi-Fi equipment.
"Jim Douglas" <james....@genesis-software.com> wrote in message

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

28 Nov 2004, 10:55:0928/11/2004

"Jim Douglas" <james....@genesis-software.com> wrote in message
> Would the purchaser actually use these? Are they collectable? Why
would you
> have to have them?

The developmental devices might be, but the others have only nominal
value. Whatever the market will pay. In this case provenance probably
makes a lot of diff in the value. BTW, you should post at the bottom,
not at the top.

DeserTBoB

28 Nov 2004, 13:19:1628/11/2004
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:23:52 -0800, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the
Dark Remover\"" <NOS...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>Listed in an inappropropriate category, 'transistor radios'. Sellers
>are Sooo stupid, they could make a lot more money if they didn't do such

>stupid things. <snip>

Ah yes, but a boon to the savvy buyer! I've garnered some pretty
impressive deals on stuff by just searching on mispellings of common
words. Example: "alinemen" for alignment is a common gaffe. Of
course, most of the severe misspellings seem to eminate from the
South.

dB

Phil Witt

28 Nov 2004, 13:58:1428/11/2004
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:19:16 -0800, DeserTBoB <des...@rglobal.net>
wrote:

>Of
>course, most of the severe misspellings seem to eminate from the
>South.

Where are you frum, anyways, boy? Are you accuseing us of enemas?

(0) -^- (0)

28 Nov 2004, 13:57:2028/11/2004

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:53:23 -0600, "Jim Douglas"
<james....@genesis-software.com> wrote:

>Would the purchaser actually use these? Are they collectable? Why would you
>have to have them?

Early transistors are collected by many folks. Watson is right about
the boxes, they make these much more valuable. I guess you have to
think about how important the transistor is to our society. Early
examples are important historical items just like the first vacuum
tubes and light bulbs. There were originally 25 Bell Labs licensees
to make transistors and most went out of business or were 'absorbed'
by larger corporations. Transistor collectors value examples from
these companies. There are quite a few nice ones in this auction and
the sellers other auctions. Some folks also like to build the early
circuits or want them just for nostalgia sake. The CK722 fits in this
category. Many careers were started by building a one transistor
radio with a Blue (or silver or black) CK722.

There is an AWSOME transistor history page here:

http://users.arczip.com/rmcgarra2/index.html

Some very cool early radios and kits with awsome writing and
photography. Highly recommeded.

(0) -^- (0)

28 Nov 2004, 14:04:0128/11/2004
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 00:23:52 -0800, "Watson A.Name - \"Watt Sun, the
Dark Remover\"" <NOS...@dslextreme.com> wrote:

>Listed in an inappropropriate category, 'transistor radios'. Sellers
>are Sooo stupid, they could make a lot more money if they didn't do such
>stupid things.

I find most things by a keyword search and then sometimes filter down
the search results by clicking the categories on the side so category
doesn't mean that much to me. However people do browse the categories
but I think most find things with keyword searches (not sure though).

I also have "Vintage Transistors" set up as a favorite search in My
Ebay which send me an email when someone lists some.

Anyways...should be interesting to see what these bring.

(0) -^- (0)

28 Nov 2004, 14:05:3028/11/2004
On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 06:20:59 -0500, "Stevie"
<obdoy...@yahoo.nospm.com> wrote:

>I can't begin to tell U how many of these things I threw away over the
>Years...!

I hate to tell you that I have seen early transistors sell for $100+
each!

One mans trash is anothers treasure?

Ron, KC4YOY

28 Nov 2004, 14:29:5428/11/2004

> Even if you are not a transistor collector, it is still pretty neat
> seeing that many early transistors.

I case you're interested, here's a link to my page
of vintage transistors.
http://www.radioheaven.homestead.com/EarlyTransistors.html

Ron

Ken Scharf

28 Nov 2004, 15:16:2028/11/2004
I may have one in the junkbox. I remember buying one
as a teenager from the local parts jobber for a hobby
project calling for a 2n176.

Jan-Erik Söderholm

28 Nov 2004, 15:53:5528/11/2004
DeserTBoB wrote:

> Of
> course, most of the severe misspellings seem to eminate from the
> South.

The South of *what*

Jan-Erik.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

29 Nov 2004, 06:39:2729/11/2004

"Phil Witt" <w4...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
^^^^^^^^^

Heh, yep. Misspelled. He's from the south.

(0) -^- (0)

29 Nov 2004, 09:54:0229/11/2004
Ron,

Really nice collection! Thanks for sharing them! I have a copy of
an article from tube collector magazine that shows your transistor
with the black band around it and the point contact adjustment. It
says it is a Bell Labs type A (If I remember correctly). I think
other companies may have also used that case style for a while as it
was an early standard. There is even a pic of a standardised socket
that fits that transistor in the article. Article even gives
datasheet for the unit. I can send you a copy if you would like but
it is a large file. Email me if you want it.

Hang on to those. A while back a group of about 5 point contacts +
a few others went for around $800-900.00 on Ebay. They were in boxes
but I think some of yours are quite a bit earlier. Have you ever
tested the junctions with a meter to see if they still work?

Eddie Brimer

29 Nov 2004, 15:01:4729/11/2004
> Of
>course, most of the severe misspellings seem to eminate from the
>South.

of course

Eddie Brimer
2480 S. Beersheba Rd.
Sharon SC, 29742

visit my web page "THIS OLD RADIO"
http://members.aol.com/EB062559/THISOLDRADIOINDEX.html

robert casey

29 Nov 2004, 15:32:0729/11/2004
I don't see the 29BA6 or the 29BE6's.

Did someone actually name transistors
with these part numbers? SOunds
like tubes....

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

30 Nov 2004, 03:23:1930/11/2004

"Ron, KC4YOY" <kc4...@carolina.rr.con> wrote in message

Those ICs were made by General Instruments, that's their "GI" logo, and
the date codes are around the 17th week of 1966. That smaller-than-DIP
sized package was typical for that time period.

Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"

30 Nov 2004, 04:47:5930/11/2004

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOS...@dslextreme.com>
wrote in message news:10qobe4...@corp.supernews.com...

Also, the contrast of all of those pics is too low. Makes it hard to
see the markings.

R Oxley

30 Nov 2004, 04:51:5130/11/2004

"Watson A.Name - "Watt Sun, the Dark Remover"" <NOS...@dslextreme.com> wrote
in message news:10qobe4...@corp.supernews.com...

Those look like a variation on "flat-pack" ICs. I still have to demonstrate
proper preparation and soldering technique of this type of chip (among other
types of devices) about once a year for my soldering recertification at the
Naval Aviation Depot at North Island, San Diego, CA.

Bob