Front rack fitting

MichaelH

May 26, 2007, 11:03:33 AM5/26/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
I purchased the Nitto front rack from Riv, and have found it will not
work with my bike (the frork crown hole is threaded but I can't screw
in the rack and the sks fenders at the same time. I tried mounting the
fenders behind the fork but they hit the DT shifter clamps). I'm
thinking of returning the Nitto and buying the Marks Mini. It looks
like it will work fine, but I wonder if the diagonal bars will reach
to low rider braise ons, or will I still need the fork clamps? Any
experience with this.

Michael
Westford, Vt

Zack

May 27, 2007, 12:43:40 PM5/27/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
Well, if it was me, I'd probly jist git me a drill and git rid o' them
threads.

What kind of frame and fork are we talking about?

mark

May 27, 2007, 1:48:43 PM5/27/07
to RBW Owners Bunch

On May 26, 9:03 am, MichaelH <mhech...@gmail.com> wrote:

Which Nitto front rack? What kind of frame? My Nitto front rack
attaches at the fork ends and in the middle of the fork, not at the
crown. Can you get a longer bolt at a hardware store to screw into the
fork crown hole?

mark

MichaelH

May 27, 2007, 4:13:39 PM5/27/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
To answer both questions at once. The frame is a 1984 Trek 620, which
comes with cantis and the hole in the crown is threaded. The rack is
the mini Nitto (M12) which Riv. sells specifically for canti set-
ups.. The rack comes with welded tubes designed to go to either
custom braze ons or clamps and it has a single threaded post designed,
I presume, to go through the crown hole, much like a brake bolt, with
nuts and washers on each side. Mine just happens to have a matching
width and thred to the frame and can actually be threaded into the
crown, but then I can't fit the SKS fender hanger.

What kind of bit would I use, if I decided to drill out the threads?

BTW, this bike is very similar to a Ramboulliet in geometry and
clearances. It's Reynolds 531, rides very nicely and may be a bit
faster going down the road than my loved Rambouillet. I bought it to
replace a SOMA Double cross for commuting, but it doesn't have the
SOMa's tire clearances, which disappoints me.

Michael

CycloFiend

May 27, 2007, 5:51:43 PM5/27/07
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
on 5/27/07 1:13 PM, MichaelH at mhec...@gmail.com wrote:

> To answer both questions at once. The frame is a 1984 Trek 620, which
> comes with cantis and the hole in the crown is threaded. The rack is
> the mini Nitto (M12) which Riv. sells specifically for canti set-
> ups.. The rack comes with welded tubes designed to go to either
> custom braze ons or clamps and it has a single threaded post designed,
> I presume, to go through the crown hole, much like a brake bolt, with
> nuts and washers on each side. Mine just happens to have a matching
> width and thred to the frame and can actually be threaded into the
> crown, but then I can't fit the SKS fender hanger.

Are you getting the center mount flush against the front of the fork crown?
I would reckon that might be the issue - on mine (on the quickbeam) I used a
1/4" nylon spacer to get front brake cable clearance, and still had enough
room for SKS fenders and the nut. The center mount rod flares quite a bit,
and I might've used a washer on the front if I didn't use the spacer, but
nothing more than that.

I actually put the SKS mount plate on the front, as the QB crown is
reasonably recessed in the back.

I'll take some photos later today.

> What kind of bit would I use, if I decided to drill out the threads?

A slightly larger one... ;^)

Use copious amounts of oil when drilling metal... (no smiley).

-- Jim

--

Cyclo...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Your Photos are needed! - http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

"I thought the idea was to waste the rest of our lives together.."
-- Cyril, "Breaking Away"

MichaelH

May 27, 2007, 7:00:14 PM5/27/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
I'm not following you. In order to thread the the rod attached to the
rack into the frame I have to remove the brakes and the fender,
because i need space to turn the whole rack araound as I thread it
in. If I leave the fender on the bike, I can't turn the rack all the
way over to thread in the rack.

I'll think about drilling out the hole because I have a slight
preverence (sight unseen) for the Nitto over the Mark's rack. Still
it looks to me like the Mark rack, which simply requires the existing
bolt to go through the rack mount will be the easier solution.

Michael

On May 27, 5:51 pm, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> on 5/27/07 1:13 PM, MichaelH at mhech...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > To answer both questions at once. The frame is a 1984 Trek 620, which
> > comes with cantis and the hole in the crown is threaded. The rack is
> > the mini Nitto (M12) which Riv. sells specifically for canti set-
> > ups.. The rack comes with welded tubes designed to go to either
> > custom braze ons or clamps and it has a single threaded post designed,
> > I presume, to go through the crown hole, much like a brake bolt, with
> > nuts and washers on each side. Mine just happens to have a matching
> > width and thred to the frame and can actually be threaded into the
> > crown, but then I can't fit the SKS fender hanger.
>
> Are you getting the center mount flush against the front of the fork crown?
> I would reckon that might be the issue - on mine (on the quickbeam) I used a
> 1/4" nylon spacer to get front brake cable clearance, and still had enough
> room for SKS fenders and the nut. The center mount rod flares quite a bit,
> and I might've used a washer on the front if I didn't use the spacer, but
> nothing more than that.
>
> I actually put the SKS mount plate on the front, as the QB crown is
> reasonably recessed in the back.
>
> I'll take some photos later today.
>
> > What kind of bit would I use, if I decided to drill out the threads?
>
> A slightly larger one... ;^)
>
> Use copious amounts of oil when drilling metal... (no smiley).
>
> -- Jim
>
> --
>

> Cyclofi...@earthlink.net
>
> Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries -http://www.cyclofiend.com

> Current Classics - Cross Bikes
> Singlespeed - Working Bikes
>

> Your Photos are needed! -http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

CycloFiend

May 27, 2007, 8:37:54 PM5/27/07
on 5/27/07 4:00 PM, MichaelH at mhec...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm not following you. In order to thread the the rod attached to the
> rack into the frame I have to remove the brakes and the fender,
> because i need space to turn the whole rack araound as I thread it
> in. If I leave the fender on the bike, I can't turn the rack all the
> way over to thread in the rack.

Yep, that's what I thought you were doing.

My comment concerned whether or not you were getting the flared piece of the
center mount rod up flush against the front of the fork crown.

To get all ASCII:

threads - smooth - flared
_______|\__________
///////// _______ __________
|/

(um...not to scale...)

or, are you bottoming out on the non-threaded portion _before_ the flare?

> I'll think about drilling out the hole because I have a slight
> preverence (sight unseen) for the Nitto over the Mark's rack. Still
> it looks to me like the Mark rack, which simply requires the existing
> bolt to go through the rack mount will be the easier solution.

It probably has a reason to exist, but those threads on the fork crown do
not seem to be helping you for this purpose.

Both Mark's and the Nitto rack are well designed. I liked (and bought) the
Nitto becuase it lined up with the braze-ons on my Quickbeam fork. It did
_not_ have to be threaded into the QB crown.

-- Jim

--

Cyclo...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com

Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Zack

May 27, 2007, 10:20:42 PM5/27/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
This thread piqued my curiosity. I could not recall seeing a fork
crown with the through hole threaded. I don't have very many forks
with crowns and canti bosses, but none of the ones looked at are like
that. Then I remembered the old Trek 850 frame in the bone pile out
behind the garage. That was just about the first stab at a mountain
bike Trek made, I think. It's made of 531 Offroad Tubing or something
like that. Anyway, sure enough, it has threads in both the front and
back of the fork crown. I have no idea why, maybe to make it easier to
attach 'flectors or something. Fenders, maybe. Anyway, there is
*plenty* of metal around the holes. An ordinary 6mm bolt threads into
either side of the fork I have. A 1/4" drill bit works just fine for a
clearance hole for a 6mm bolt. (0.25" = 6.3mm, or so)

I really like the way that mini rack attaches. Very clean design.

On May 27, 6:37 pm, CycloFiend <cyclofi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Cyclofi...@earthlink.net
>
> Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries -http://www.cyclofiend.com

> >> Use copious amounts of oil when drilling metal... (no smiley).- Hide quoted text -

CycloFiend

May 27, 2007, 11:48:27 PM5/27/07
on 5/27/07 2:51 PM, CycloFiend at cyclo...@earthlink.net wrote:
> on 5/27/07 1:13 PM, MichaelH at mhec...@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>> To answer both questions at once. The frame is a 1984 Trek 620, which
>> comes with cantis and the hole in the crown is threaded. The rack is
>> the mini Nitto (M12) which Riv. sells specifically for canti set-
>> ups.. The rack comes with welded tubes designed to go to either
>> custom braze ons or clamps and it has a single threaded post designed,
>> I presume, to go through the crown hole, much like a brake bolt, with
>> nuts and washers on each side. Mine just happens to have a matching
>> width and thred to the frame and can actually be threaded into the
>> crown, but then I can't fit the SKS fender hanger.
>
> Are you getting the center mount flush against the front of the fork crown?
> I would reckon that might be the issue - on mine (on the quickbeam) I used a
> 1/4" nylon spacer to get front brake cable clearance, and still had enough
> room for SKS fenders and the nut. The center mount rod flares quite a bit,
> and I might've used a washer on the front if I didn't use the spacer, but
> nothing more than that.
>
> I actually put the SKS mount plate on the front, as the QB crown is
> reasonably recessed in the back.
>
> I'll take some photos later today.

Detail photos are now up on my Flickr pages -
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclofiend/

I'm not sure they really shed any light on this issue, other than to make
the claim that if I wasn't using a 1/4" spacer on the front, there'd be a
fair bit of threaded end sticking through. I'd be suprised if the
front-to-back measurement of the Trek crown was that much thicker.

'Course, I been sooprized afore...

-- Jim

--

Cyclo...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Send In Your Photos! - Here's how: http://www.cyclofiend.com/guidelines

MichaelH

May 28, 2007, 1:49:23 PM5/28/07
to RBW Owners Bunch
Yes, you got it exactly right, and I'm glad I'm not the only person in
the world with a threaded crown hole. Both sides of the hole are
threaded and its my guess, given the clearances on the bike, that Trek
assumed people would add racks, but not fenders, and probably, in that
time frame, all racks were designed to go with a 6 mm bolt into that
hole. Right now I have sks fendrs mounted exactly that way. You can
see it under Trek on cyclofiend .com I also agree that the Nitto mini
is a very elegant rack, but the stays don't reach low enough for the
low rider braze ons on the Trek. Maybe the Marks, which pivot, will,
and then I could just deal with the adjustable plate mounted to the
crown with the existing 6 mm bolt. I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help with this.

michael

David

May 28, 2007, 9:44:03 PM5/28/07
to rbw-owne...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have experience with the Riv/Nitto front rack that clamps
to the fork blades and the fork eyelets? I'm setting up my Wicked Fat
as an errand bike and the fork crown isn't drilled. A CETMA rack is
an option but I like the Riv/Nitto.

More specifically, what weight have people carried on the Riv/Nitto?

Thanks,

David

mark

May 30, 2007, 8:59:46 AM5/30/07
to RBW Owners Bunch

If you mean this rack: http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/baggage_racks/20075.html
, I use it on my tourer when I'm on long tours (3 so far). Very
sturdy, the mounting hardware is so sturdy and beautifully finished
you won't want to use the braze-ons in the middle of your fork even if
you have them, and over all a very nice rack. It has threaded holes
for fender stays at the bottom, and a threaded hole for a front light
at the front of the rack, both of which are really nice touches.

I use it to carry two Vaude Roadmaster panniers and my Therma-Rest, I
don't recall putting any great strain on the rack. I think the only
limitations on load will be the effect said load has on your Fat
Chance's handling.