Supernova E3 Questions

lj mangin

Sep 8, 2009, 12:49:27 PM9/8/09
to ran...@googlegroups.com
Hi all-
I have a Supernova E3, it is about a year old.  I have read on the manufacturer's website that the LED is upgradeable.  Does anyone know if there is an LED upgrade available, or how I can tell if there is one for the light I have?  Also, can the symmetrical lens be switched with the asymmetrical?
Thanks,
John M

TroyMcClure

Sep 16, 2009, 3:40:29 AM9/16/09
to randon
Hi.
Yes and Yes.
I have one that is just under a year old too. Since I bought it
directly from Supernova (I live in Germany), I also receive their
newsletter. Last week I received the 2010 catalogue with the new
models. I'm actually a bit suprised that no one mentioned it here yet.
The E3 is no more and the new model is called the E3 Pro. It now comes
in various colors, has improved electronics (new brighter standlight,
brighter at low speeds almost getting rid of the flickering), a new
glare-free lens and a new 25% more powerful LED (275 lumen).
Since the casing of the Pro is otherwise the same as the previous
model, it means that it should be possible to fit the new LED and lens
in older models.
The catalogue says "The high quality lens made from scratch resistant
PMMA can be exchanged by Supernova to give you a completely different
illumination pattern if necessary."
I might do it because I got my E3 at a time when there was a 27 weeks
waiting time on SON Edelux (which was the light I originally wanted)
and the glare-free E3 didn't exist yet as far as I remember.

As a sidenote, the new glare-free lens passed the StVZO (German street
law), but the light as a whole still did not get the certification
because it runs 0.4W over the legal limit.

I hope this helps,

TroyMcClure.

On Sep 8, 6:49 pm, lj mangin <lj.man...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all-I have a Supernova E3, it is about a year old.  I have read on the

Jim Logan

Sep 16, 2009, 10:27:09 PM9/16/09
to randon
Several months ago I bought an E3 with the assymetrical lens. I haven't
seen comments on the light pattern, so I thought I would add some.

There is a lot of structure (i.e. variations in light and dark) in the light
pattern - there are three main lobes. Then there is structure within the
main forward lobe. To tell you the truth, the structure in the main lobe
looks more like the "bat signal" from Batman as much as anything.

While it is certainly very bright and usable, I envision myself on long
brevets using my battery back-up light (Planet Bike Blaze) to wash out that
structure, just so I don't have to look at the bat signal for hours on end.

Jim