Integral Design: Tracing Influences

kirby urner

Apr 2, 2012, 3:08:44 PM4/2/12
to r-buckminster-fuller...@googlegroups.com, syne...@yahoogroups.com

Here's how I diagram influences for the math teachers:

It's a kind of storytelling.

Vienna Circle -> Karl Menger -> Geometry of Lumps -> Tetrahedron as Lump

Wittgenstein -> Vienna Circle -> mathematical ethnography -> more cosmopolitan math thinking

Fuller -> angle / frequency -> figurate and polyhedral numbers (Coxeter) -> language games = forms of life (Wittgenstein)

Stuff like that.

Kirby

Note:  Integral Design is what Glenn Stockton is using to package his "global matrix" ideas.  He's over about Fuller being an influence.

The Ministry of Education with a HQS at Washington High School is helping to
revamp Portland's literate population's understanding of recent intellectual
history, in order to provide better / sharper lenses through which to view
present day world affairs.  We compete with the World Affairs Council in this
way, though we also share resources and faculty, through PSU and elsewhere.

kirby urner

Apr 2, 2012, 5:45:32 PM4/2/12
to r-buckminster-fuller...@googlegroups.com, syne...@yahoogroups.com
Another recount of the Fuller - Coxeter relationship here, highly abbreviated:

Was it really M.C. Escher's son who wanted to get into Radomes?

Yes, I got that right. The Roberts bio has that letter quoted, from
Escher to Loeb (they were friends).

Loeb had actually wanted to get some Escher stuff in Synergetics,
where he left his own essays (prolog, appendix). There's a lithograph,
but it's by another famous artist.

Coxeter is cursing out Fuller big time, such that that piece of
the letter went in the fireplace. No sense having Coxeter's rants
go down in history, embarrassing to him later (when he knew
Fuller better).

Escher is like tsk tsk "clever boy" re Bucky, saying as a layman
he can see charlatanical aspects (and lets remember his own
son has just been hit with intellectual property claims).

Fuller made himself a force to be reckoned with. Had he not,
we'd likely not still be reckoning with him today.

Kirby

kirby urner

Apr 2, 2012, 5:48:58 PM4/2/12
On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:45 PM, kirby urner <kirby...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Another recount of the Fuller - Coxeter relationship here, highly abbreviated:

> Was it really M.C. Escher's son who wanted to get into Radomes?

I'd written about this before when the book first came out.

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2006/09/quick-account.html

Unfortunately, University of Buffalo pulled the plug on geodesic, one
of its most important historical lists. Whoever made that decision
either regrets it, or is way overpaid.

Kirby