Re: Installation with GPT, GRUB2, Multi OS, no UEFI?

planeswa...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2013, 1:55:45 PM11/20/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, it...@wongfaye.com
menuentry 'Qubes' --class debian --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os --class xen {
insmod part_msdos
insmod ext2
set root='(hd1,msdos5)'
echo 'Multiboot Xen ...'
multiboot /xen-4.1.2.gz placeholder
echo 'Loading kernel ...'
module /vmlinuz-3.2.7-10.pvops.qubes.x86_64 ro root=/dev/mapper/vg_dom0-lv_root rd_LUKS_UUID=luks-HERE_GOES_THE_LUKS_UUID rd_LVM_LV=vg_dom0/lv_root rd_LVM_LV=vg_dom0/lv_swap rd_NO_MD rd_NO_DM LANG=en_US.UTF-8 SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYTABLE=de rhgb max_loop=255
echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
module /initramfs-3.2.7-10.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
}

 I tried that with minimal adjustments to match the current settings (namely, changed version numbers), however the system complains about not being able to find the /dev/mapper/vg_dom0-lv_root. Any tips as to how I can fix that?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 20, 2013, 2:07:06 PM11/20/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, it...@wongfaye.com
Check if:
- you didn't removed/changed "rd_LVM_LV=vg_dom0/lv_root" option
- initramfs is really loaded (typos in path, right version etc).

Do you get prompt for the LUKS password?

--
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

signature.asc

planeswa...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2013, 10:04:01 AM11/21/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Check if:
 - you didn't removed/changed "rd_LVM_LV=vg_dom0/lv_root" option
 - initramfs is really loaded (typos in path, right version etc).

Do you get prompt for the LUKS password?

rd_LVM_LV is correct and it doesn't give me any errors about not finding anything. It even gets as far as showing me the Qubes loading screen.

Yes, I do get asked for the LUKS password, however simultaneously it says "/dev/mapper/vg_dom0-lv_root does not exist" and get dropped to the emergency console.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 21, 2013, 11:15:47 AM11/21/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Strange... can you give some details (screenshot or so)? Perhaps some other
message will suggest the source of the problem.
signature.asc

planeswa...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2013, 12:25:36 PM11/21/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
For now, here are configs and everything to verify I use the right ones (I hope):

parted: print of all disks
All UUIDs
GRUB2's 40_custom
ls -lah of Qubes' boot partition

I will attach the journalctl as soon as I manage to upload it.

planeswa...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2013, 2:20:17 PM11/21/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Here we have it, photos. It's the best I could get.
GRUB menu -> Qubes startup splashscreen -> drop to errorconsole -> journalctl -xn -> journalctl with all errors

Qube startup process

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 21, 2013, 8:38:09 PM11/21/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> Qube startup process <http://imgur.com/a/NoltT>

From the last photo it looks like password prompt simply timed out after 90s.
signature.asc

planeswa...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2013, 5:39:59 AM11/22/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

From the last photo it looks like password prompt simply timed out after 90s.

Looks like it, yes, but it doesn't drop me to the console. What does is the missing device. However, I can't recall having to enter a single password anywhere during the Qubes installation. I only edited the partition table, nothing else.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Nov 22, 2013, 9:39:37 AM11/22/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
By default Qubes installer uses encrypted device, on which LVM is created. And
indeed you have some encrypted device, so you've set some password...
signature.asc