Problem with R2-Beta boot

Anton

Dec 18, 2012, 7:17:27 PM12/18/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I just installed the R2 beta, but there are a bit problem when i trying to boot upp after the installation. I just see a dark screen, with a white bar and it also is written "Qubes 2".
I can tab out to other tty, but i have never gotten to set a password for dom0 so i cant login.
Its a laptop "HP EliteBook 8570p i7-3520M 15.6 4GB/256 HSPA PC Core i7-3520M" (B6Q05EA#AK8)
Any ideas?

Marek Marczykowski

Dec 18, 2012, 7:38:11 PM12/18/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Anton
Looks like graphics driver problem. Did installer worked in graphics mode?
Do you have enabled radeon graphics, or use intel one? Perhaps try to switch...

--
Best Regards / Pozdrawiam,
Marek Marczykowski

signature.asc

Anton Löthman

Dec 18, 2012, 7:41:13 PM12/18/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Here are two screendump of where the boot is stooping (two different attempts)

2012/12/19 Anton <anton....@gmail.com>

--

20121219_012913.jpg
20121219_013607.jpg

Marek Marczykowski

Dec 18, 2012, 8:54:58 PM12/18/12
to Anton Löthman, syd bris, Kmailu, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Adding others with similar problem to cc. And qubes-devel...

On 19.12.2012 02:27, Anton Löthman wrote:
> I think i have found the problem, i get this error.
>
> "Failed to load firmware "radeon/TURKS_pfp.bin"
>
> So now the question is, how i load the firmwire...

Yes, it looks like the root cause. I though I've already fixed it, but in fact
only in installer...

This is missing linux-firmware package. I think the easier way to install it
is download it on other system, and use some USB stick to transfer it into
Qubes (as you haven't network setup there yet...).

The URL:
http://yum.qubes-os.org/r2/current/dom0/rpm/linux-firmware-20120510-0.3.git375e954.fc13.noarch.rpm

To install it:
1. At bootloader stage edit kernel cmdline: remove "rhgb quiet" and add "single".
2. You should get root shell.
3. Load modules needed for USB stick (autoloading isn't active at this stage):
modprobe usb-storage
modprobe sd-mod
3. Then connect USB stick with the package, it should appear as /dev/sdb (you
can check this with "dmesg|tail" command).
4. Mount it:
mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt
(or /dev/sdb if sdb1 doesn't exists)
5. Install the package:
yum -C install /mnt/linux-firmware-*rpm
(yum will verify digital signature on this package, so it should be reasonably
safe)
6. Disable firmware distributed with kernel (to use just installed one):
rm /etc/dracut.conf.d/firmware-3.2*conf
7. Regenerate initramfs:
dracut --force
8. Umount USB stick:
umount /mnt
9. Reload radeon module:
modprobe -r radeon
modprobe radeon
10. Try to start firstboot (to create user account, setup netvm etc):
firstboot
11. If everything went ok, just type "exit" to continue normal system boot.

Let me know, if this help.
signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski

Dec 19, 2012, 7:02:10 AM12/19/12
On 19.12.2012 10:56, Anton Löthman wrote:
> Thanks, there was a dependencie to a package called nextxen-firmware.
> But after i fixed that (it may be a good idea to have that on the same
> mirror as the linux-firmware)

The nextxen-firmware package is also available in the same directory as
linux-firmware...

> i manage to install and modprobe the radeon
> stuff, then it chanage to a "better" resolution, so i guess it works.
> But when i try to use firstboot i get this error:
>
> "Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 146, in <module>
> elif (getRunlevel() == 3 and opts.forcegui):
> File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 78, in getRunlevel
> return int(tokens[-1])
> ValueError: invalid literal for int()

Ah, this is because use of "single" runlevel. So instead of starting firstboot
manually (point 10 in instruction), you should ensure it will be started
during system startup:
chkconfig firstboot on
rm -f /etc/sysconfig/firstboot

As you written in next email - reboot also should help.

> 2012/12/19 Marek Marczykowski <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com>
signature.asc

Anton Löthman

Dec 19, 2012, 4:56:37 AM12/19/12
to Marek Marczykowski, syd bris, Kmailu, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, there was a dependencie to a package called nextxen-firmware.
But after i fixed that (it may be a good idea to have that on the same mirror as the linux-firmware) i manage to install and modprobe the radeon stuff, then it chanage to a "better" resolution, so i guess it works.

But when i try to use firstboot i get this error:

"Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 146, in <module>
elif (getRunlevel() == 3 and opts.forcegui):
 File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 78, in getRunlevel
  return int(tokens[-1])
ValueError: invalid literal for int()

Anton Löthman

Dec 19, 2012, 7:09:42 AM12/19/12
to Marek Marczykowski, syd bris, Kmailu, qubes...@googlegroups.com

2012/12/19 Marek Marczykowski <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com>

On 19.12.2012 10:56, Anton Löthman wrote:
> Thanks, there was a dependencie to a package called nextxen-firmware.
> But after i fixed that (it may be a good idea to have that on the same
> mirror as the linux-firmware)

The nextxen-firmware package is also available in the same directory as
linux-firmware...

Yes i saw it now, must have been blind before :)
> i manage to install and modprobe the radeon
> stuff, then it chanage to a "better" resolution, so i guess it works.
> But when i try to use firstboot i get this error:
>
> "Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 146, in <module>
> elif (getRunlevel() == 3 and opts.forcegui):
>  File "/usr/sbin/firstboot", line 78, in getRunlevel
>   return int(tokens[-1])
> ValueError: invalid literal for int()

Ah, this is because use of "single" runlevel. So instead of starting firstboot
manually (point 10 in instruction), you should ensure it will be started
during system startup:
  chkconfig firstboot on
  rm -f /etc/sysconfig/firstboot

Yes that was what i thought,

As you written in next email - reboot also should help.

Now i can log in!
I will fill this out in the HCL list soon.

Olivier Médoc

Jan 10, 2013, 12:42:17 PM1/10/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Same problem with a friend's laptop (HP EliteBook with a radeon card ->
missing radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin).

Solved the same way, except I did not found this email and we had to
debug it fully until we found how to install linux-firmware and to use
dracut.

Can you add the steps you describe to the userdoc in the ATI related
section ? (there is an outdated link to the mailing list that I tried to
follow :( without any success )

Marek Marczykowski

Jan 10, 2013, 12:58:53 PM1/10/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Olivier Médoc
On 10.01.2013 18:42, Olivier Médoc wrote:
> Same problem with a friend's laptop (HP EliteBook with a radeon card ->
> missing radeon/CAICOS_pfp.bin).
>
> Solved the same way, except I did not found this email and we had to debug it
> fully until we found how to install linux-firmware and to use dracut.
>
> Can you add the steps you describe to the userdoc in the ATI related section ?
> (there is an outdated link to the mailing list that I tried to follow :(
> without any success )

The new link was already in "known issues" section in installation guide. I've
linked it also in userdocs now (instead of old message).
signature.asc
Message has been deleted

ph0tios

Feb 12, 2013, 4:07:09 PM2/12/13
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Olivier Médoc
Just wanted to confirm that I have a radeon HD 6870, and this solution worked for me.

When I first attempted to install the rpm I got the following error:

Error: Cannot access repository dir /var/cache/yum/x86_64/2/qubes-dom0-cached

Per Marek's advice in another thread I appended the end of step 5's command with:

--disablerepo=qubes-dom0-cached

Everything works great now. Thanks Marek!