KDM vs keyboard layout settings

Zrubecz Laszlo

Jul 30, 2012, 3:14:20 PM7/30/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 30 July 2012 17:02, Zrubecz Laszlo <ma...@zrubi.hu> wrote:
> but... it is possible that this upgrade breaks my Xorg in dom0?

No it is not related to the updates at all...

or maybe the kdelibs but not wanna breake the whole thing to downgrade
this package...

> The problem is, after installed this I'm lost my keyboard on kdm login :o
> Firstly was afraid if I get back the old bug what I get with my old
> laptop... but not:
> I had a keyboard layout related xorg.conf section... If I remove that
> part, I get back my keyboard again, but without the language settings
> of course...
>
> I had no time to test if It is possible that that update brake it or
> not. but it was working before...

Just tested and googled it:

The problem is that the syste-config tool is generating a file:
"00-system-config-keyboard.conf"
under the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory

with this content:

# This file is autogenerated by system-setup-keyboard. Any
# modifications will be lost.

Section "InputClass"
Identifier "system-setup-keyboard"
MatchIsKeyboard "on"
Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
Option "XkbLayout" "hu"
Option "XkbVariant" "qwertz"
Option "XkbOptions" "terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp,"
EndSection

If you reboot, or logout (basically restart kdm) you will lost yout
keyboard at all.
Not even an external keyboard is usable then...

My only luck is the "Console Login" menu, what I can choose with the
mouse, and get a console acces with keyboard..

Not tested other languages or settings, and not even know what is
wrong with this,

if you google the filename you can find some old kde bugs about
this.... but did not find any solution :(

--
Zrubi

Zrubecz Laszlo

Aug 6, 2012, 4:34:49 AM8/6/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 30 July 2012 21:14, Zrubecz Laszlo <ma...@zrubi.hu> wrote:
> On 30 July 2012 17:02, Zrubecz Laszlo <ma...@zrubi.hu> wrote:
>> but... it is possible that this upgrade breaks my Xorg in dom0?
>
> No it is not related to the updates at all...
>
> or maybe the kdelibs but not wanna breake the whole thing to downgrade
> this package...

Any suggestion about this issue?

Thanks.

--
Zrubi

Marek Marczykowski

Aug 6, 2012, 8:49:55 AM8/6/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Zrubecz Laszlo
Will look at this later this week.

--
Best Regards / Pozdrawiam,
Marek Marczykowski

signature.asc

Marek Marczykowski

Aug 11, 2012, 10:52:19 AM8/11/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Zrubecz Laszlo
It looks to be caused by "XkbVariant" line. I suppose there is no variant
named "qwertz" (perhaps just default setting), there is "qwerty" variant. So
you can just comment out variant line as a solution.
signature.asc

Zrubecz Laszlo

Aug 13, 2012, 3:09:17 AM8/13/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11 August 2012 16:52, Marek Marczykowski
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> It looks to be caused by "XkbVariant" line. I suppose there is no variant
> named "qwertz" (perhaps just default setting), there is "qwerty" variant. So
> you can just comment out variant line as a solution.
Will try it...

But the main problem that this is created automatically by KDE and it
is wrong somehow...

--
Zrubi

Marek Marczykowski

Aug 13, 2012, 7:36:50 AM8/13/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Zrubecz Laszlo
We don't have resources to fix all KDE bugs. Perhaps switching to new KDE
version will solve it (the currently used isn't maintained for some long
time...), but for sure we won't do such big change at rc stage.
So the only thing which can be done here is add this to know issues list.
signature.asc

Zrubecz Laszlo

Aug 14, 2012, 3:13:21 PM8/14/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 13 August 2012 13:36, Marek Marczykowski
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
> On 13.08.2012 09:09, Zrubecz Laszlo wrote:
>> On 11 August 2012 16:52, Marek Marczykowski
>> <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>>

>>> It looks to be caused by "XkbVariant" line. I suppose there is no variant
>>> named "qwertz" (perhaps just default setting), there is "qwerty" variant. So
>>> you can just comment out variant line as a solution.

Actually it helps.
... but I'm sure there is a qwertz variant cause I'm currently using
that for ages... strange.
Thanks anyway.
I'll do more test later to workaroud it permanently...

--
Zrubi

Marek Marczykowski

Aug 14, 2012, 3:15:13 PM8/14/12
On 14.08.2012 21:13, Zrubecz Laszlo wrote:
> On 13 August 2012 13:36, Marek Marczykowski
> <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>> On 13.08.2012 09:09, Zrubecz Laszlo wrote:

> Actually it helps.
> ... but I'm sure there is a qwertz variant cause I'm currently using
> that for ages... strange.

It looks like "qwertz" is the default variant so option "qwertz" is invalid...

> Thanks anyway.
> I'll do more test later to workaroud it permanently...

--
signature.asc

Zrubecz Laszlo

Aug 14, 2012, 3:25:06 PM8/14/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 14 August 2012 21:15, Marek Marczykowski
<marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:

> It looks like "qwertz" is the default variant so option "qwertz" is invalid...
well:
If I'm comment that line out, the effective variant is "qwerty" - in kdm.
After I log in the right (qwertz) variant has been activated just as
the language settings said...

where should I check the actual available valid variants?

--
Zrubi

Zrubecz Laszlo

Aug 14, 2012, 4:54:24 PM8/14/12
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 14 August 2012 21:25, Zrubecz Laszlo <ma...@zrubi.hu> wrote:
> On 14 August 2012 21:15, Marek Marczykowski
> <marm...@invisiblethingslab.com> wrote:
>
>> It looks like "qwertz" is the default variant so option "qwertz" is invalid...
> well:
> If I'm comment that line out, the effective variant is "qwerty" - in kdm.
> After I log in the right (qwertz) variant has been activated just as
> the language settings said...

Just updated my system from the right repo, (get some kde updates) and
everything is back to normal :)

My keyboard is working again as expected

So it was all about the temporary kdelibs upgrade wat I did before - i guess.

Thanks

--
Zrubi