Spotlight

Allen

Jul 29, 2009, 1:56:44 AM7/29/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
So, is it just me or has something broken with QSB and the later SVN
builds?

For instance, if I do a spotlight search for "Brinks", it shows the
folder located at
/Users/Allen/Documents/Sigma/Brinks. However, QSB never gets around
to it.
Spotlight source is enabled. QSB will find the Sigma folder. I've
even had
spotlight re-index my drives. If I disable the spotlight source, I get
the same
search, so it looks to me as if QSB isn't even bothering with the
spotlight source.
I'm building 10.5/Release/QSB Application with svn up to 499. Looks
like using BaseSDK, Build everything, and various other options do not
help either.

Now this does work on an older build that I have from about 6/30....

Allen

Jul 30, 2009, 11:59:16 PM7/30/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Well, I've tested several SVN builds, and the spotlight search is fine
at 474, and stoped working thereafter.

Dev's, any response? Am I the only one seeing this? If so, then I
know to look at my end...

Aaron Ecay

Jul 31, 2009, 6:48:42 AM7/31/09
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
2009ko 07aren 31ean, Allen-ek zion:

> Well, I've tested several SVN builds, and the spotlight search is fine
> at 474, and stoped working thereafter.
>
> Dev's, any response? Am I the only one seeing this? If so, then I
> know to look at my end...

No, this is apparently a bug in QSB, introduced in SVN on 7/20 (i.e. it
is not in the latest release, only in builds from source). See
http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=669

Allen, there is a (one-line) patch attached to that issue, so if you're
up for it, you could try it out and see if it fixes your problem. There
appear to be other, older problems with the Spotlight Source, so it
isn't guaranteed that the patch will fix your problem. But based on the
SVN revision you've bisected it down to, I am fairly confident it will.

--
Aaron Ecay

Dave MacLachlan

Jul 31, 2009, 11:58:41 AM7/31/09
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys..

The spotlight source is currently in the middle of a massive revamp by
yours truly, so please don't invest any time in it. I'll have new bugs
for you to point out real soon now ;-) I'm sorry I've been lax
responding to mail, and I know I have a bit of a backlog to catch up
on. I will get back to you Aaron ;-)

I'm RIGHT in the middle of moving from CA to WA, so I've been a bit
distracted. Once I'm set up again up north, I'll do some catch up.

Cheers,
Dave

(When I say RIGHT in the middle of moving, I mean I've got a
paintbrush in one my non-typing hand doing touchups on a wall now that
all the furniture is loaded type of thing ;-) )

maccamb

Jul 31, 2009, 1:54:33 PM7/31/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
I have the same issue with the released build. You can see a snapshot
of the misbehaving QSB here: http://sites.google.com/site/maccamb/out/qsb

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,
- m

Kris Rambish

Jul 31, 2009, 2:54:31 PM7/31/09
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
maccamb - the Spotlight source doesn't activate until you type more than 5 characters.  We did this for performance reasons, but as Dave mentioned it is under a complete re-vamp so this may not be true in the next release.  Here are some of the other Spotlight issues we are tracking:

Kris

Allen

Aug 1, 2009, 1:53:27 AM8/1/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Thanks! I'd combed over the issues serveral times, but I prolly
missed the chance to report the bug initially as I've been fooling
around with this for a while. I build from SVN pretty frequently.

I'll try the patch for grins, and wait for Dave to get himself moved
and the source revamped.

Though, considering the 12-16 hours days I've been putting in this
week, I won't feel sorry for him, but I will understand! ;-p

On Jul 31, 5:48 am, Aaron Ecay <aarone...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009ko 07aren 31ean, Allen-ek zion:
>

> > Well, I've tested several SVN builds, and the spotlight search is fine
> > at 474, and stoped working thereafter.
>
> > Dev's, any response?  Am I the only one seeing this?  If so, then I
> > know to look at my end...
>
> No, this is apparently a bug in QSB, introduced in SVN on 7/20 (i.e. it
> is not in the latest release, only in builds from source).  Seehttp://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=669

maccamb

Aug 1, 2009, 8:00:53 AM8/1/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
Thanks Kris!

On Jul 31, 2:54 pm, Kris Rambish <qsb.team.kr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> maccamb - the Spotlight source doesn't activate until you type more than 5
> characters.  We did this for performance reasons, but as Dave mentioned it
> is under a complete re-vamp so this may not be true in the next release.
>  Here are some of the other Spotlight issues we are tracking:http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=431
>  http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=500
>  http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=516
>  http://code.google.com/p/qsb-mac/issues/detail?id=636
>
> Kris

maccamb

Aug 2, 2009, 1:46:35 PM8/2/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
If the Spotlight search does not activate until 5 characters, then
what search function yields the results I get in my particular case?
Does that function look at the first character only?

Matt Rodkey

Aug 2, 2009, 3:10:31 PM8/2/09
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Possibly Applications Source (Applications Folder), Documents Source (Documents folder), Recent Applications and Documents Source, Downloads Source

There are a number of sources that search files and folders, though I believe most of the above do not traverse many (if any) nested levels of folders, hence where spotlight would come in to pick up the rest.
--
Thanks,
Matt

Kris Rambish

Aug 5, 2009, 12:57:50 PM8/5/09
to qsb-mac...@googlegroups.com
Matt is correct.  The other individual folder sources fire on one character, but do not traverse.  The Application Source is slightly different as it uses Spotlight and executes:
  mdfind "(kMDItemContentTypeTree == 'com.apple.application')"

every 60 seconds.  It too will fire on one character.

Kris

Joey

Aug 16, 2009, 1:58:48 AM8/16/09
to QSB Mac General Discussion
I'm trying to figure out why using the spotlight database would be
necessary? Doesn't it just slow everything down to maintain 2
databases?