where to next?

Mark Tarver

Apr 19, 2012, 5:52:52 AM4/19/12
to Qilang
Willi was asking me this question.

The development of Shen has had three parts.

1. The gestation period

That was from January-September 2011 and issued in Shen 1.7 under a
new license.

2. The porting and consolidation period

That was from September 2011-March 2012. We now have Shen under CL,
Clojure and JS. The website is built, it looks good and TBoS has
fixed the standard. This phase is not totally done, we still have
room for more ports but the focus will next be on....

3. The Applications Period

This is the period we are entering and the standard maths library is
the first significant entry within that period. I'm going to be
looking more closely at these recent ports, particularly the JS port,
to determine what that port is capable of doing. I do have a very
clear idea of the kinds of application which Shen would be excellent
for and a 'killer' app, but I'm not going to anticipate until I have
ascertained whether the JS platform can support these ambitions. The
main problem with the JS port is that it has no facility for writing
to a file.

One of the applications likely to emerge is a standard AI library with
A* etc. This is an old area of mine.

Mark