python-whiteboard on mandriva

Alberto

Apr 26, 2011, 2:51:48 PM4/26/11
to python-whiteboard
Good day,

I am not sure I have to post here, but the issue has arose in a
discussion
group in mandriva italian user group, and nobody known how to solve
the issue.

Simply stated: python-whiteboard does not work on mandriva.
We have installed the source (from git) after compiling without
errors, or with alien we have transformed the *.deb file into
*.rpm. Everything seems OK, but when we start calibration,
the IR pen is not seen. No error message, simply the program
wait to see the IR pen. We have installed all the dependencies
stated in the program.

The wmgui program in cwiid works perfectly, and the wii IR camera
sees the pen...We have also used a live distribution based on
ubuntu/debian, and there python-whiteboard works...

I personally suspect some differences in the python (2.6) or its
libraries/modules installation... It is of course difficult for you
answer if you don't know the Mandriva distibution.
But the question at this point is: have you or others in the
group had any news about installing python-whiteboard in
a distribution different from debian or ubuntu ?

Thanks a lot for developing and sharing the program

Alberto

Pere Negre

Apr 26, 2011, 3:04:20 PM4/26/11
to python-w...@googlegroups.com
It sounds strange to me. I would try to execute the program from the command line and see if there is some kind of strange error message that does not display itself in the GUI.

I do not have a Mandriva machine to test it, I'm sorry.

Also, because python-whiteboard is written in python, it's easy to insert some print statements in the code to clarify what's happening.

Thanks for your interest in the program. Don't hesitate to post here whatever you want about the program. This way we all can improve the user experience.

--
Pere

Alberto

Apr 27, 2011, 6:18:01 AM4/27/11
to python-whiteboard

On 26 Apr, 21:04, Pere Negre <pere.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds strange to me. I would try to execute the program from the command
> line and see if there is some kind of strange error message that does not
> display itself in the GUI.

It is strange indeed...
Already tested starting from command line. There are no messages.

> I do not have a Mandriva machine to test it, I'm sorry.
>
> Also, because python-whiteboard is written in python, it's easy to insert
> some print statements in the code to clarify what's happening.

None of us which have started the discussion knows python language.
I try to understand something, but for the moment I have not made
many progresses. We shal try to get Mandriva people involved,
as I believe the problem is to your code (I have verified it is
exactly the same
in the Debian distribution where the program works and in the
Mandriva)

> Thanks for your interest in the program. Don't hesitate to post here
> whatever you want about the program. This way we all can improve the user
> experience.

If we find were the problem is, we shall also post the solution
here...

Alberto

Giorgio

Apr 27, 2011, 3:05:33 PM4/27/11
to python-whiteboard

I'm part of italian group. I installed from source () and I execute
normally from command line.

On 26 Apr, 21:04, Pere Negre <pere.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds strange to me. I would try to execute the program from the command
> line and see if there is some kind of strange error message that does not
> display itself in the GUI.
Here's what I see running the program in console

[giorgio@Presario_G_L pnegre-python-whiteboard-5d8453f]$ ./python-
whiteboard
Using directory: /home/giorgio/Documenti/Programmi/LIM/pnegre-python-
whiteboard-5d8453f/stuff
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
QPainter::end: Painter ended with 2 saved states
[giorgio@Presario_G_L pnegre-python-whiteboard-5d8453f]$
And in gui an error message appears: “Error in calibration”.
I tried also with pointer in face of IR camera.

Of course with wmgui I see IR spot moving.

> I do not have a Mandriva machine to test it, I'm sorry.
>
> Also, because python-whiteboard is written in python, it's easy to insert
> some print statements in the code to clarify what's happening.
May be you can suggest where inserting print statements.
Even better if you make a new file with print statements added and I
replace mine with your.