Pyglet 3000?

Radix

Aug 4, 2008, 5:19:48 PM8/4/08
to pyglet-users
Are there plans to port pyglet to python 3.0? I'm just getting started
with Python and I don't want to get too heavily invested in the old
syntax.

Radix

Alex Holkner

Aug 4, 2008, 6:40:53 PM8/4/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com

Unlike many other projects, porting pyglet to 3.0 will be a major
undertaking, due to the dropping of 8-bit character strings. A 3.0
pyglet may not even be possible (without being unbearably slow)
without introducing a C library dependency. I'll investigate this
more and make a decision on the 2.6/3.0 migration path for pyglet
after the 3.0 release is final.

Alex.

Andreas Schiefer

Aug 5, 2008, 2:09:12 AM8/5/08
to pyglet-users
On 5 Aug., 00:40, "Alex Holkner" <alex.holk...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Unlike many other projects, porting pyglet to 3.0 will be a major
> undertaking, due to the dropping of 8-bit character strings.

Maybe this could be interesting: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3137/

The new "byte" type is an immutable array of bytes and basically just
the same as a string in python 2.x

Andy

Alex Holkner

Aug 5, 2008, 2:24:47 AM8/5/08
to pyglet...@googlegroups.com

Right; earlier I had seen discussions about the re module (which
pyglet uses extensively for image manipulation) not supporting bytes
objects; but it does now seem to work as with 2.5 strings. I take
back what I said about it being perhaps impossible; though there's
still a lot of work to be done.

Alex.