Puppet bootstrap: via cdist

Nico -telmich- Schottelius

May 2, 2011, 5:43:38 AM5/2/11
to puppet...@googlegroups.com, cd...@l.schottelius.org
Good morning puppets,

as stated for reallife, "one always meets more than one time",
this is true for puppet and me: Although I'm migrating away from
puppet [0] to cdist [1], a customer requests a new puppet installation.

This brings me again to the question on how to bootstrap a new puppet
infrastructure, which we did with a shell script or a Debian package
and then running puppet against a manifest to bootstrap itself.

The first approach is rather lightweight compared to the packaging
effort and having to run puppet manually anyway.

Next time I'd probably do it differently, in a more automated manner:

As cdist requires only ssh on the target host, I can easily use it
to configure the system completly, including a puppet master. Because
the planned cdist __puppet type can easily be reused and wil probably
go into upstream cdist, I wanted to let you know about this method
to get puppet up and running.

So if you're interested in bootstrapping puppet with cdist,
you should monitor the cdist mailinglist [2], which will have the
announcement of the __puppet type as soon as it's available.

Cheers,

Nico

[0] http://www.nico.schottelius.org/blog/migrating-away-from-puppet-to-cdist/
[1] http://www.nico.schottelius.org/software/cdist/

PGP key: 7ED9 F7D3 6B10 81D7 0EC5 5C09 D7DC C8E4 3187 7DF0