Slow iTunes HD download when using Google DNS servers

Fred B.

Jan 30, 2010, 6:55:05 PM1/30/10
to public-dns-discuss
Was experiencing EXTREMELY slow download speeds of HD content in
iTunes when using Google DNS servers.
Reverted to ISP's DNS servers and issue went away.

What could cause this?
Please advise why using Google DNS servers causes this tremendous
decrease in speed.

Thanks.

Alex Smith

Feb 1, 2010, 4:43:07 AM2/1/10
to public-dn...@googlegroups.com
DNS itself doesn't affect throughput on connections, however I would
speculate that it's the old Geo-Location issue that has been seen a
lot (where it sends you to a less than optimal location for your
downloads).

I know Apple uses Akamai for their CDN and it can send you to the
wrong place for downloads.

Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid if that is the case. Easy way
to find out is do a nslookup while using Google DNS and while using
your ISP's then compare them.

- Alex
---
Kind regards,

Alex Smith
This November I'm Treking the Sahara Desert for Charity, checkout my
website at http://trek2010.org.uk/

> --
> For more information on Google Public DNS, please visit
> http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns

AtsuC F

Feb 5, 2010, 6:31:52 AM2/5/10
to public-dns-discuss

On Feb 1, 6:43 pm, Alex Smith <a...@alexsmith.me> wrote:
> DNS itself doesn't affect throughput on connections, however I would
> speculate that it's the old Geo-Location issue that has been seen a
> lot (where it sends you to a less than optimal location for your
> downloads).
>
> I know Apple uses Akamai for their CDN and it can send you to the
> wrong place for downloads.
>
> Not a lot you can do about it I'm afraid if that is the case. Easy way
> to find out is do a nslookup while using Google DNS and while using
> your ISP's then compare them.
>
> - Alex
> ---
> Kind regards,
>
> Alex Smith
> This November I'm Treking the Sahara Desert for Charity, checkout my

> website athttp://trek2010.org.uk/

AtsuC F

Feb 5, 2010, 6:31:22 AM2/5/10
to public-dns-discuss