New port restrictions through Psiphon 3

A Kruger

Nov 3, 2011, 3:30:39 PM11/3/11
to psiphon3
Today we received reports from one of our hosting providers indicating
that copyright material was being provided (via BitTorrent) through
one of our Psiphon 3 servers. Facing the threat of a service
interruption, we have decided to restrict the ports on which outbound
traffic can pass through our Psiphon 3 servers.

The following ports are open:

53,80,443,554,1935,7070,8000,8001,6971:6999

We are not happy about doing this, however we feel that swift action
was necessary in order to prevent service interruption for the users
of Psiphon 3. We do not feel that this is an optimal solution, and we
intend to implement layer 7 filtering in the future as a better
approach to preventing BitTorrent traffic from passing through our
servers. It is unfortunate that we have to take these measures, and
we recognize that there are many lawful users of BitTorrent.

In the interim, if there are Internet services that you would like to
use through Psiphon 3 that require additional outbound ports to be
opened, please let us know.

All feedback is welcome.
Thank you.