SMTP will not be accessible through Psiphon 3

A Kruger

Oct 15, 2011, 3:03:36 PM10/15/11
to psiphon3
Today we received reports from one of our hosting providers indicating
that spam was being sent from one of our Psiphon 3 servers.

Facing the threat of a service interruption, we have decided to
disallow SMTP traffic (on ports 25 and 587) from passing through or
exiting our servers. This will not affect your ability to access web-
based email services through Psiphon 3. If you are using an email
client such as Microsoft Outlook or Mozilla Thunderbird, you might not
be able to send email while connected to Psiphon 3, depending on your
email settings.

In the near future we plan to include a "split-tunnel" feature in
Psiphon 3 that will cause only international traffic to be routed or
proxied through Psiphon 3, and in-country traffic will use the
Internet connection directly, bypassing Psiphon 3. We believe that
this should mitigate most problems with accessing SMTP if your SMTP
servers are provided by your ISP. Users that need to access
international SMTP servers should alert us so that we can include this
fact in our consideration of the problem.

All feedback is welcome.

Thank you.