[podcasters] Sex podcasting (Was: We're number one! We're number one!)

Nobilis

Jan 12, 2008, 11:05:25 PM1/12/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Why is it, that so many people have to see profit in it, before
they'll get involved? It's not like any other podcasts are making
huge piles of money, but there are plenty of music podcasts, tech
podcasts, et multiple cetera.

The number of podcasters that are making a living at it can be counted
on a very small number of hands.

On Jan 12, 2008 10:53 PM, Morrow <geekdimension@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one of the big reasons is "sex sales", but podcasts don't make
> money. So it's going to be a wile, if ever, that the porn industry
> gets into bed with podcasting as a whole.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 12, 2008, 11:33:02 PM1/12/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living podcasting?

Steve Boyett
www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

_____

<mailto:geekdimension%40gmail.com> gmail.com> wrote:
> I think one of the big reasons is "sex sales", but podcasts don't make
> money. So it's going to be a wile, if ever, that the porn industry
> gets into bed with podcasting as a whole.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.

<http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Instant hello

Chat over IM with

group members.

.

__,_._,___

Nobilis

Jan 13, 2008, 12:09:39 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On 1/12/08, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:
> Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living podcasting?

The only ones *I* know of who have made a go of it were Dawn and Drew.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 12:14:27 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Mignon Fogerty is, I'm pretty sure. The Ninja guys. I've been making a
living from podcasting well over a year now. I'd say Evo, Eley, & van Orden,
but I believe podcasting is only one component in their separate schemes for
global domination.

--steve boyett

_____

> Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living podcasting?

The only ones *I* know of who have made a go of it were Dawn and Drew.

Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
<http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 12:15:22 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

My understanding of Dawn & Drew is that the bulk of their revenue comes from
merchandising. Not that merchandising from your podcast isn't making a
living from your podcast!

--steve boyett

_____

> Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living podcasting?

The only ones *I* know of who have made a go of it were Dawn and Drew.

Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.
<http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4> com/2r25e4

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Need traffic?

Drive customers

With search ads

on Yahoo!

Self Improvement

on Yahoo! Groups

Connect with people

and get support.

.

__,_._,___

Brains Matter

Jan 13, 2008, 12:46:52 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Certainly not me!

--
Brains Matter Podcast
Melbourne, Australia

On 13/01/2008, at 3:33 PM, Steven R. Boyett wrote:

> Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living
> podcasting?
>
> Steve Boyett
> www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
> Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New business?

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Files to share?

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Jan 13, 2008, 12:56:47 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Jan 13, 2008 12:14 AM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:
> Mignon Fogerty is, I'm pretty sure. The Ninja guys. I've been making a
> living from podcasting well over a year now. I'd say Evo, Eley, & van Orden,
> but I believe podcasting is only one component in their separate schemes for
> global domination.

I'm not making a living from podcasting. I'm making some reasonable
side income from it, but the bulk of our donations goes back into
buying content.

That said, I'm convinced a quality sex podcast *can* make money, if
it's marketed well and smart about it. Maybe not "make a living"
money, but enough to make it worthwhile. Midwest Teen Sex Show has
sponsors (and produces some hilarious spots for them), and so does Sex
is Fun. I'm not sure if Dan Savage makes any money for the Savage
Lovecast, but it is an extension of his syndicated column, which is
his full-time job.

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Group get-together

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Best of Y! Groups

Check it out

and nominate your

group to be featured.

.

__,_._,___

Larry Wanger

Jan 13, 2008, 11:18:11 AM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Me either; I live and work so I can podcast!
DisabilityNation, an Audio Magazine by and for People with
Disabilities. Listen at http://www.disabilitynation.net

On Jan 12, 2008, at 10:46 PM, Brains Matter wrote:

> Certainly not me!
>
> --
> Brains Matter Podcast
> Melbourne, Australia
> email: mail@brainsmatter.com
> podcast feed: iTunes or http://feeds.feedburner.com/BrainsMatter
> web: http://www.brainsmatter.com/
>
> On 13/01/2008, at 3:33 PM, Steven R. Boyett wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, how many people here *are* making a living
> > podcasting?
> >
> > Steve Boyett
> > www.djsteveboy.com <http://www.djsteveboy.com/>
> > Podcasts: "Groovelectric" / "Podrunner"

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Files to share?

Send up to 1GB of

files in an IM.

Yahoo! Groups

Special K Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

__,_._,___

Todd Cochrane

Jan 13, 2008, 1:16:37 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

I make a full time living on my podcast revenues only, I do run RawVoice
but do not take a paycheck from the company.

Todd..
Geek News Central

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

New web site?

Drive traffic now.

Get your business

on Yahoo! search.

Yahoo! Groups

Special K Challenge

Join others who

are losing pounds.

.

__,_._,___

Evo Terra

Jan 13, 2008, 4:44:06 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Jan 12, 2008 10:14 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:

> I'd say Evo, Eley, & van
> Orden,
> but I believe podcasting is only one component in their separate schemes
> for
> global domination.

I'm fortunate enough to have a "day-job" that pays me well and leaves
me plenty of time to explore new opportunities.

Plus, I'm less interested in making additional money for me and more
for the authors I'm fortunate enough to work with on Podiobooks.com.
Not that I'll turn down cash if you want to hand it to me...

Maybe someday Steve will be willing to make the Furries happy with a
podcast version of The Architect Of Sleep?

E.

--
Evo Terra
Podiobooks.com

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Parenting Groups

on Yahoo! Groups

Single Parenting

to managing twins.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 4:46:53 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

I'm more likely to make the world happy by engineering a furry-specific
virus with a 99.99% mortality rate. Furries are the very reason the sumbitch
ain't getting finished in any medium now known or hitherto developed. I hate
them, Sam I Am.

--steve boyett

_____

<mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:

> I'd say Evo, Eley, & van
> Orden,
> but I believe podcasting is only one component in their separate schemes
> for
> global domination.

I'm fortunate enough to have a "day-job" that pays me well and leaves
me plenty of time to explore new opportunities.

Plus, I'm less interested in making additional money for me and more
for the authors I'm fortunate enough to work with on Podiobooks.com.
Not that I'll turn down cash if you want to hand it to me...

Maybe someday Steve will be willing to make the Furries happy with a
podcast version of The Architect Of Sleep?

E.

--
Evo Terra
Podiobooks.com

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Group get-together

Host a free online

conference on IM.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Jan 13, 2008, 5:18:43 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Jan 13, 2008 4:46 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:
> I'm more likely to make the world happy by engineering a furry-specific
> virus with a 99.99% mortality rate. Furries are the very reason the sumbitch
> ain't getting finished in any medium now known or hitherto developed. I hate
> them, Sam I Am.

Huh. I take it this is a newer perspective than the essay on your
site implying that you intend to return to it at some point?

(I haven't read _Architect_ yet, BTW, although the Amazon reviews
intrigue me a lot. I just Googled it find out what y'all are talking
about. Glad I did.)

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Send pics quick

Share photos while

you IM friends.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 5:35:56 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

I thought I took that page down. I've learned never to say never, but I have
been saying for years that I am not going to finish it. I wrote it when I
was 24. I'm proud of it. But I never have thought it was my best work; it
was basically a five-finger exercise (that's a joke) in world building
carried to a myopic extreme just to prove I could do it. I ain't that guy no
more. That guy was willing to endure furries for what he wanted to
accomplish (well, that guy had no idea they existed at the time). I have
zero tolerance for squirrelbangers, and as far as Architect is concerned,
they have peed in the pool for everyone.

--steve

_____

<mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
> I'm more likely to make the world happy by engineering a furry-specific
> virus with a 99.99% mortality rate. Furries are the very reason the
sumbitch
> ain't getting finished in any medium now known or hitherto developed. I
hate
> them, Sam I Am.

Huh. I take it this is a newer perspective than the essay on your
site implying that you intend to return to it at some point?

(I haven't read _Architect_ yet, BTW, although the Amazon reviews
intrigue me a lot. I just Googled it find out what y'all are talking
about. Glad I did.)

--
Have Fun,

Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com> com)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Yahoo! Groups

Lawn & Garden

ideas and tips

for a green thumb.

.

__,_._,___

Stephen Eley

Jan 13, 2008, 5:51:21 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

On Jan 13, 2008 5:35 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:
> I thought I took that page down.

> That guy was willing to endure furries for what he wanted to
> accomplish (well, that guy had no idea they existed at the time). I have
> zero tolerance for squirrelbangers, and as far as Architect is concerned,
> they have peed in the pool for everyone.

And here I thought they were a harmless and moderately amusing end of
the geek/kink spectrum -- but then I've never produced any work that
would bring them swarming.

(I was going to end this post with "And there are no furry podcasts!"
as a riff on my earlier line on BDSM podcasts... But I did think to
check Google first and I was wrong. Boy howdy, are there a lot of
furry podcasts.)

--
Have Fun,
Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail.com)

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Y! Messenger

Instant smiles

Share photos while

you IM friends.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 6:00:29 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Nope, they're mismatched-plaid-wearing, hygienically challenged,
dandruff-carpeted gulp-laughers who show up on your front porch unannounced
or send you demanding emails. I have to say that the difference between my
fan mail as a writer and my fan mail as a podcaster could not be more
prominent. I don't know if this makes any sense, but it makes me sad that,
in terms of audience, I enjoy being a DJ far more than I ever have being a
writer. Probably because I enjoy writing itself more than DJing, and
possibly because I'm a better writer than DJ.

I've taken to forwarding writerly fanmail to close friends, because, as the
General once said on Roger Ramjet, it "always ceases to amaze me."

--steve boyett

_____

<mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
> I thought I took that page down.

.com/archetyp.html

> That guy was willing to endure furries for what he wanted to
> accomplish (well, that guy had no idea they existed at the time). I have
> zero tolerance for squirrelbangers, and as far as Architect is concerned,
> they have peed in the pool for everyone.

And here I thought they were a harmless and moderately amusing end of
the geek/kink spectrum -- but then I've never produced any work that
would bring them swarming.

(I was going to end this post with "And there are no furry podcasts!"
as a riff on my earlier line on BDSM podcasts... But I did think to
check Google first and I was wrong. Boy howdy, are there a lot of
furry podcasts.)

--
Have Fun,

Steve Eley (sfeley@gmail. <mailto:sfeley%40gmail.com> com)

http://www.escapepo <http://www.escapepod.org> d.org

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Ads on Yahoo!

Learn more now.

Reach customers

searching for you.

Parenting Zone

on Yahoo! Groups

Your one stop for

parenting groups.

.

__,_._,___

Nobilis

Jan 13, 2008, 6:08:59 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Wow. That's a rather deep well of hatred, there, Steven.

On Jan 13, 2008 6:00 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.com> wrote:
> Nope, they're mismatched-plaid-wearing, hygienically challenged,
> dandruff-carpeted gulp-laughers who show up on your front porch unannounced
> or send you demanding emails.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.com/2r25e4

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! Finance

It's Now Personal

Guides, news,

advice & more.

Search Ads

Get new customers.

List your web site

in Yahoo! Search.

Y! Messenger

Want a quick chat?

Chat over IM with

group members.

.

__,_._,___

Steven R. Boyett

Jan 13, 2008, 9:36:07 PM1/13/08
to podca...@yahoogroups.com

Yes, it is. And entirely warranted. And before you go judging me for it,
consider that these chancre-lickers have dogged me for 25 years, which I
doubt is on a par with your experience of them.

--steve b

_____

Wow. That's a rather deep well of hatred, there, Steven.

On Jan 13, 2008 6:00 PM, Steven R. Boyett <steve@steveboy.

<mailto:steve%40steveboy.com> com> wrote:
> Nope, they're mismatched-plaid-wearing, hygienically challenged,
> dandruff-carpeted gulp-laughers who show up on your front porch
unannounced
> or send you demanding emails.

-----
Five out of five review for "Centaur" -- http://tinyurl.